Job applicants under this much scrunity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Butterscotch

War Child
Today I put in for a job, a very ordinary, non secret agent, not security kind of job. This is the disclaimer I have to sign. I don't want to do it, because it sounds more intrusive than Bush and the mail! While they likely won't really follow through, I don't want to have to be paranoid I am being watched. Get a load of this:

...You are hearby authorized to make an investigation of my personal work history, financial and credit record through any investigative method of choice....

This I HAVE seen before, though I can't understand why a person would be denied employment for being in debt, which is why I want and need the extra job in the first place! What is this, the 1700's with debtor's prison? :huh:

Now here comes the bad part:

I also understand that an investigative consumer report may be made whereby information is obtained through personal interviews with my neighobors, friends, and other with whom I am acquainted. This inquiry, if made, may include information as to my character, general reputation, personal characteristics, and mode of living.

Don't you think that's a bit extreme? Do they really do this? Isn't that a bit nosey and intrusive into your personal life? This should be illegal, unless it's some sort of top secret type job. I am actually too afraid and paranoid to sign it. I don't really have anything to hide other than my poor credit report, it's just the idea they can come snooping around that creeps me out. Also by asking neighbors, untrue gossip may be spread on a person unfairly. What do you think?

Butterscotch said:
Today I put in for a job, a very ordinary, non secret agent, not security kind of job. This is the disclaimer I have to sign. I don't want to do it, because it sounds more intrusive than Bush and the mail! While they likely won't really follow through, I don't want to have to be paranoid I am being watched. Get a load of this:

...You are hearby authorized to make an investigation of my personal work history, financial and credit record through any investigative method of choice....

This I HAVE seen before, though I can't understand why a person would be denied employment for being in debt, which is why I want and need the extra job in the first place! What is this, the 1700's with debtor's prison? :huh:

Have you ever looked at a credit report? Your ammount of debt isn't shown and isn't the issue. The issue is more about late payments, delinquent payments, etc... It's more about responsibility, and it also plays a factor in expenses. I'm not sure what type of job you are applying for so I can't really make a call as to why it would be needed.

Butterscotch said:

Now here comes the bad part:

I also understand that an investigative consumer report may be made whereby information is obtained through personal interviews with my neighobors, friends, and other with whom I am acquainted. This inquiry, if made, may include information as to my character, general reputation, personal characteristics, and mode of living.

Don't you think that's a bit extreme? Do they really do this? Isn't that a bit nosey and intrusive into your personal life? This should be illegal, unless it's some sort of top secret type job. I am actually too afraid and paranoid to sign it. I don't really have anything to hide other than my poor credit report, it's just the idea they can come snooping around that creeps me out. Also by asking neighbors, untrue gossip may be spread on a person unfairly. What do you think?

Well I've had references interviewed but never neighbors. I'm not sure how effective this really is; what if you just moved there and the neighbors don't really know you or they for some reason have a grudge. Also I don't see many companies actually having the time and resources to do this...

Like I said, I don't know what the position is...

The 'position' is actually a cook at Hardee's. I am ashamed to say that, but it appears to be important to peoples' opinions here. I am so far in debt I need the money from the second job and this is all I can find at the moment. Yes, I have late payments, and a pending judgement. This is why I need the money. If a person isn't allowed to work because they owe money, how do you expect them to pay it off? We are indeed back to the days of the debtor's prison.

Butterscotch said:
The 'position' is actually a cook at Hardee's. I am ashamed to say that, but it appears to be important to peoples' opinions here.
It's not important to my opinion, for I'm not making or sharing an opinion. I'm just stating facts about credit reports and background checks.

Butterscotch said:

I am so far in debt I need the money from the second job and this is all I can find at the moment. Yes, I have late payments, and a pending judgement. This is why I need the money. If a person isn't allowed to work because they owe money, how do you expect them to pay it off? We are indeed back to the days of the debtor's prison.

I'm surprised if they would even do the credit check for this position. Hardee's probably has a generic application for all positions. I once turned in my resume to a large pharmaceutical company, they made me fill out an application in addition to that, this application was used for every position; CEO, janitor, HR, sales rep, chemist, secratary, etc...

BTW, don't be ashamed of taking care of your debt. Good for you for doing something about it.

When I applied for the Collier County Sheriff's Department, I had to submit an official copy of my college transcript sealed by the Registrar, a notarized application, and copies of my SS card, driver's license, passport or birth certificate. If anyone would have intercepted that package, I could have been royally screwed. It guess it makes sense, being a Sheriff's department (I also had to agree to a full background check and drug tests).

I've seen statements like the one you posted, but they seem to usually be empty threats. I always provide whatever references and contact info they require, but rarely do they call more than one reference and it's usually my boss who I have call first to put in a good word. However, once when I adopted a kitten they had to call references before I was allowed. :huh: It took more calls and paperwork to get a kitten than any lease arrangement or job application process I've ever done.

:hug: noone is judging you for getting a job.

i also think that is bizarre that a consumer report would include asking your neighbors about you asking about mode of living and all those other random things.

do you have a moment to contact the HR for that district? perhaps he/she can answer some questions for you.

i can understand your reluctance to sign, but as BVS said, i doubt this is something they'd actually carry out.

let us know what they tell you if you call, i'm curious!

Thanks to you all. Yes, Redhot, it does seem the 'mode of living' part is no one's business, IMO for ANY job. That could be interpreted in a lot of ways. I also agree that neighbors may not really know you and/or have unfair opinions based on gossip.

Liesj, since it was a sheriff's job I could see that, but not most jobs, especially not what I'm applying for.

Bono Vox, I just thought it was important you knew it was a cook job and not something more sensitive or top secret.

Thanks for not judging me or laughing at me for working at Hardee's. :hug: I am really broke and desperate. If the judgement comes in against me, and it's likely it will, I will lose my home and my vehicle and maybe end up homeless. :( I am hoping to get enough money to offset it so it won't take the money for my bills. I know no one cares you have to live, if you owe, you're a worthless loser to society and they can do what they want to you.

Butterscotch said:

Liesj, since it was a sheriff's job I could see that, but not most jobs, especially not what I'm applying for.

Yeah. It seems like a case of a generic application, like BVS said. I applied for an office position, but the app looked like one made for officers. I'm sure most of what they wanted for me (and you) isn't really relevant or pursued.

Well there's nothing to be ashamed of, this may not be a job you personally want to have but that certainly doesn't make it shameful. And like BVS said, good for you for doing everything you can to get yourself out of debt. I can understand why you're uncomfortable with that stuff being poked into, and I don't get why they might be interested in talking your neighbors either, but on the other hand I'm not sure what you have to lose really--the worst that could happen is you won't wind up getting the job, and after all the company is only interested in this info insofar as it might *potentially* be relevant to making that decision. I wouldn't worry too much at this stage about the contradictions involved in making indebtedness a potential obstacle to employment; there are simply too many people in that situation for it to be feasible to make that link an absolute. Like Lies said, these kinds of statements are more often than not empty threats.

Good luck, whatever you choose to do.

There's nothing to be ashamed of here. You are looking for ways to erase the debt, which is more than some people would do. :up:

I haven't filled out a job application in a long time but I was beginning to see things like this, so I can imagine how much more "intrusive" its gotten over the past four years.

If you had a choice, I'd suggest going somewhere else for employment. But, you gotta do what you gotta do. I would imagine their rationalization would be if you have nothing to hide, there's no need to be concerned. Not cool for sure.

Re: Re: Job applicants under this much scrunity?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Have you ever looked at a credit report? Your ammount of debt isn't shown and isn't the issue.

I run peoples credit all the time and the $$ amount of debt is shown....

I worked for the U.S. Federal government for a few years and never had to sign anything even remotely similar to that (or submit documents like Liesje mentioned). Of course, that was pre-9/11, so things have probably changed.

yolland said:
Well there's nothing to be ashamed of, this may not be a job you personally want to have but that certainly doesn't make it shameful.

:up:

Good luck. :)

Re: Re: Re: Job applicants under this much scrunity?

one4u2 said:

I run peoples credit all the time and the $$ amount of debt is shown....
Really?:huh:

I just ran one before I bought my car and there was nothing on my credit cards and I know both have some debt on them.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Job applicants under this much scrunity?

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Really?:huh:

I just ran one before I bought my car and there was nothing on my credit cards and I know both have some debt on them.

It shows a total $$ at the end of the report

I dont know why you'd be ashamed. Sounds like you're working very hard to sort your finances out. That's commendable.

If I were in your position, I'd attach a note to the application stating 'You choose not to sign/fill in details of this as yet, but will be happy to talk to someone in HR upon interview or other, during a later stage of application.' US laws are not something I have any clue about, but your credit rating is confidential. It is not relevent to an employer. What's Hardees? A type of restaurant? It's absolutely not their business. You're in a catch-22, but stay pleasant, you do need the job. I'd not sign anything like that. Ask them to show why they need that information. Place the onus back on them.

Good luck.
:up:

Butterscotch, my sister just recently got a job with Hardee's, seriously - but in a general manger position. I assure you she is in a great deal of debt and if they ran this check on her they would have found that out. Point is, if they did - it didn't matter because they started her out making very good money. I do not know however, if she had to sign this disclaimer.
Lastly, I work for a debt consolidation/settlement company and if you would like more information on how the company I work for can help you, just PM me and I'll be glad to give you the contact information. Good luck, and with a little patience and sacrifice you can get out of this and not completely destroy your credit for the next decade.

Regarding the investigative interviews, that costs a lot of money.
The government does interviews like that for people applying for positons requiring a high level of security clearance.
Personally I think they are bluffing a bit to keep away shady applicants.

Whoa...this is pretty full on!! I work in health care, and only one job I've had even did a police background check (which was fair enough, seeing the job was at a children's hospital) But i've never been asked ANY of those questions, either in an application or interview situation.
I think if I was asked to disclose that kind of information I would be rather hesitant to do so:eyebrow:

I agree with ntalwar...these background checks cost a lot of money...I think they are trying to weed out super-shady charachters!

In my last two jobs, I have gone through these checks, as well as 10-year work history, FBI/postal fingerprinting and a drug screening. All that and they still ant to "screen" me daily before I get to my office. :|

Back
Top Bottom