Jewish Groups Irked by Cross on Republican Podium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThatGuy

Refugee
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=nm/campaign_pulpits_dc

Jewish Groups Irked by Cross on Republican Podium

Wed Sep 1, 6:39 PM ET

By Mark Egan

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Speakers at this week's Republican convention make their remarks at a wooden podium that some Jewish groups find offensive because its decorative panels appear to form the shape of a Christian cross.

A cross is even more visible in a waist-high gavel stand adjacent to the podium, leading some to question whether the party is trying to send a subtle message to its base among conservative Christians.

"It is the very height of insensitivity for the Republican Party to feature a cross at the center of the podium of this convention," Ira Forman, executive director of the National Jewish Democratic Council, said in a statement.

"This wooden cross must be at least three feet (one meter) tall, and it sends a signal of exclusivity loudly and clearly."

Two other Jewish groups interviewed by Reuters expressed similar sentiments.

A convention spokesman declined to comment about the podium flap, telling reporters he did not understand why people were asking questions on the issue.

President Bush (news - web sites)'s chief political strategist, Karl Rove, told CNN he did not think the podium's decorative woodwork looked like a cross.

"My God, where do they come up with this stuff?" he said. "Does it look to you like it's a cross? I don't think so."

The hall at the convention, where Bush on Thursday will accept the Republican nomination to a second White House term, is sparse.

Its three main components are a billowing stretch of red, white and blue to symbolize patriotism and the American flag, a New York skyline devoid of the World Trade Center, destroyed in the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks, and the church-like podium.

Beside the podium is the gavel stand constructed of wood panels, with lighter shades in the center in the shape of a cross -- the Christian symbol of the crucifixion of Jesus.

CHURCH AND STATE

"I'm a Roman Catholic myself, but I continue to be amazed about the inappropriate dissolution of the line between church and state," said Village Voice media critic Michael Musto, adding that he saw the cross as a "subliminal nod to the religious right."

Separation of church and state is a key issue for U.S. Jewish voters and among the reasons why they typically vote for Democrats. Bush, who will accept the nomination as the Republican presidential candidate on Thursday, refers regularly to God and his religion in his speeches.

With Bush neck-and-neck with his Democratic opponent Sen. John Kerry (news - web sites) of Massachusetts, Republicans are keen to mobilize the religious right to vote for the Texan.

In the 2000 election against Al Gore (news - web sites), Bush took about one fifth of Jewish votes. But despite irritation among some Jews about the symbolism at the convention, his support among Jews could rise to about one third in November's election, said David Twersky, director of international affairs at the American Jewish Congress.

That increased Jewish vote will come from Bush's tough stand on terrorism, his assertion of Israel's right to defend itself and because his road map for Middle East peace demands that Palestinians must stop attacks on Israel, he said.

Twersky said that whether or not the image of a cross on the stage was a message to the religious right, much clearer signals were delivered by speakers at the podium.

"When Laura Bush said (the president) doesn't change his friends or his values and there was a thunderous roar from the delegates, that was a message that the president is with the Christian right on abortion and other issues," he said.

mayor.184.1.jpg

I have to say I agree with Rove on this one. I mean, that is clearly a lower-case letter t. :wink:

This sounds like a manufactured story. Go to groups, suggest that the podium is a cross and get their reponse.

I can't imagine how the podium is viewed as "establishment of religion".

Wow.

This gets my vote for saddest story of the month! If I found this story on theonion.com I would think it's hilarious, but to actually be real? I'm speechless. Political correctness is out of control.

Last edited:
Mrs. Springsteen - that made me giggle!

But seriously, if you read so much into something, if you go hunting for it, it's likely you can find it just about anywhere.

I noticed the "cross" too and personally, meh. I'm not that sensitive. But there is a small part of me that feels this could have been somewhat intentional, or maybe subliminal but I'd hardly call this an establishment of religion. But that's just me. Now if the President started spouting off scripture or reciting Revelations, then I'd be a lot more :eyebrow: .

If the strategic placement of the paler wood against the darker grain were intentional, I'd give the visual presentation an a+ in the subliminal department. :wink:

That's not a teleprompter. Teleprompters are on the cameras.

Besides, how would you read something off that?

They are teleprompters. The words are projected onto the glass from below, and the angle and one-way reflectiveness of the glass keeps the words from being seen on camera. Trust me on this one.

Remember, the audience is slightly below eye level. The teleprompters are set so you can "looK" at your audience while you follow the script of your speech.

:reject: I am a Christian, and I caught some of the speeches, I didn't see a cross on the podium, but after seeing this pic, and reading this post, I kinda see it.

Guess I'm not used to "subtle" looking crosses. :shrug:

The podium is in the shape of T, T for Texas! Honest, how many Christians (from any denomination), if polled, would say, when they saw the podium, they thought there was a cross on it, without it being brought to their attention. They probably wouldn't, because, well, the crosses we're used to, don't look like that shape, on the podium.

Like those Rorschak? tests, you see what you want to see.

cross3a.jpg

That ^ is a cross, that shape on the podium is a bloody T for Texas. :huh:

Yes, they are right, that there is a cross shape on the podium, but that is not the kind of crosses Christians constitute and view as a Christian symbol. Think lower case (t's), not upper case (T's. )

Last edited:
I saw it, I noticed it and, as a Catholic who is engaged to a Jew, I was offended. sorry, but my religion should not be used as a ploy to get more people to vote for you.

and you can't tell me that the Republicans never noticed that, that it was just coincidence. these are the same people who polled voters in SC with questions like "what would you think of John McCain if he had a black baby?" these are the same people that still haven't officially come out and condemned the Swift Boat ads, just subtlely sort of say "eh, I guess that's not right." hell, these are the same people that never directly said Saddam Huessin and Osama bin Laden were connected but made sure everyone believed it. Karl Rove is the devil -- I would put nothing past him.

Really Sharky?

I think it's a coincidence, but since it's Bush, anything goes I suppose.

If it was Kerry's podium, I'm guessing very few would have noticed.

Back
Top Bottom