Jesus wants you to have a semi-automatic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anitram

Blue Crack Addict
Story here.

OKLAHOMA CITY -- An Oklahoma church canceled a controversial gun giveaway for teenagers at a weekend youth conference.

Windsor Hills Baptist had planned to give away a semiautomatic assault rifle until one of the event's organizers was unable to attend.

The church’s youth pastor, Bob Ross, said it’s a way of trying to encourage young people to attend the event. The church expected hundreds of teenagers from as far away as Canada.

“We have 21 hours of preaching and teaching throughout the week,” Ross said.

A video on the church Web site shows the shooting competition from last year’s conference. A gun giveaway was part of the event last year. This year, organizers included it in their marketing.

Friday evening, Ross said the gun giveaway had been canceled. Pastor emeritus Jim Vineyard, who ran the event, injured his foot and wouldn’t be able to attend. The gun giveaway was also removed from the church Web site.

Ross said the church would give the gun away next year instead. He said the church spent $800 buying the gun for the promotion.

Off the Richter scale of stupidity.

Thinking back to my high school days (sadly it's been a while), I can't imagine wanting to take my chances with some of those guys being in possession of a semi-automatic assault rifle....

Bob Ross?

bob_ross_1.jpg

Interestingly, when my grandpa was in highschool (he's turning 80, so, read that as in the 30s) there were gun lockers in the schools for the cadets and the scouts to keep their rifles in and so forth, and ne'er did anyone run afoul with them. I guess that was for Queen and Country, and not just the J-man, but it was a simpler time anyway. Kept their guns at school, and their kids from shootin' each other. Where have we lost our way?

That's true Diemen but many people here were extremely appalled by this as well.
Even in rural areas.

It's not as if there is a passivity towards protecting children by gun toting religious fundies in general. However absurd I believe them to be. The issue is ignorance. Ignorance associated with guns.

Sometimes it's a petty I've left church. :(

Interestingly, when my grandpa was in highschool (he's turning 80, so, read that as in the 30s) there were gun lockers in the schools for the cadets and the scouts to keep their rifles in and so forth, and ne'er did anyone run afoul with them. I guess that was for Queen and Country, and not just the J-man, but it was a simpler time anyway. Kept their guns at school, and their kids from shootin' each other. Where have we lost our way?

Must have been in the 40s (turning 80 now he was born in 1928). I can understand why they had their arms with them back then.
Today students also run around armed, but they are neither cadets nor scouts.

Yes, ignorance is hardly geographical

And I highly doubt that every member of that church supported that. Religious people can think for themselves and even possess intelligence.

Yes, ignorance is hardly geographical

And I highly doubt that every member of that church supported that. Religious people can think for themselves and even possess intelligence.

So true. There is quite a bit of gun violence on the east coast.

And I agree. I am a spiritual person who attends a traditional Christian Church. I think for myself.

Bob Ross?

bob_ross_1.jpg

Hey I remember him! With the happy little birds and trees etc. I had a buddy who loved Bob Ross and could never understand why his pictures never came out like Bob's. I'm serious.

As for the assault rifle, well that's just stupid. When I started reading it I was thinking they were giving a gun away, that's questionable, but maybe it's a regular rifle or shotgun for hunting. But no...and I'm just thinking, "wow". Do you ever wonder how stuff like this happens? How does the conversation go from "why don't we have a raffle" to "you know what would really bring 'em in? an assault rifle".

Hey I remember him! With the happy little birds and trees etc. I had a buddy who loved Bob Ross and could never understand why his pictures never came out like Bob's. I'm serious.

As for the assault rifle, well that's just stupid. When I started reading it I was thinking they were giving a gun away, that's questionable, but maybe it's a regular rifle or shotgun for hunting. But no...and I'm just thinking, "wow". Do you ever wonder how stuff like this happens? How does the conversation go from "why don't we have a raffle" to "you know what would really bring 'em in? an assault rifle".

Well, to tell the truth, the boys in my 8th grade class would have been there in a heartbeat. They'd give their right eye for an assault rifle.

They also really, really shouldn't have assault rifles.

I think Oakland turned our liberal ex Governor, Jerry 'moonbeam' Brown into a "Law and Order" tough on crime politician.

The proportion of believers decreases with increasing brackets of intelligence, does that mean that all believers are dumber than nonbelievers?

A: No

Back
Top Bottom