Jesus loves america

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Angela Harlem said:

I don't get this type of thinking. It's brought up too frequently on interference, that any religion in U2's music cannot be ignored, or implied that someone can't listen without ever even seeing/hearing religion in it in the first place. People on this site need to stop transposing their own music views onto everyone else. I can guarantee you that U2 appeal to more than the Christian component, or the generic religious component. There's some very godless people who like U2 for, wait for it, reasons which have bugger all to do with god, jesus, religion, the bible, some message from such, church, grace or karma etc!

That's the beauty of this band. They appeal to people of all faiths or no faith.

Angela Harlem said:

I don't get this type of thinking. It's brought up too frequently on interference, that any religion in U2's music cannot be ignored, or implied that someone can't listen without ever even seeing/hearing religion in it in the first place. People on this site need to stop transposing their own music views onto everyone else. I can guarantee you that U2 appeal to more than the Christian component, or the generic religious component. There's some very godless people who like U2 for, wait for it, reasons which have bugger all to do with god, jesus, religion, the bible, some message from such, church, grace or karma etc!

I'll just encompass everyone who responed to my question, by responding to this post.

I think there was a misunderstanding caused by me not being very clear. I know and am glad that U2 appeals to people outside the Christian market. They're ambiguous and their lyrics and music are about the honesty of the human condition. It's about where they're at at a particular stage in their life. It's honest and real, it's not fake shit about skipping through lands of rainbows and ponies with Jesus, like so much "Christian" music is. As Bono has said, "We've sort of drawn our fish in the sand, it's there for people who are interested. It shouldn't be for those who aren't." In the early days of Christianity, when being a Christian could get you killed, a Christian would often draw half a fish (a symbol of Christianity, stemming from Jesus telling the disciples to be "fishers of man") in the sand to find out if someone else was a Christian. If the other person drew the other half, they obviously understood and were likely a Christian. If they didn't, than they were probably not a Christian. I feel like Bono is spot on in comparing U2's music to that act. Those of us who are Christians can sense that message of the love and grace of God coming through. Those of you may not be Believers still sense love and grace, perhaps, but not from God. That's awesome too! I'm glad U2 has fans from every racial, religious, cultural, social, etc. background. I've met many people on here and otherwise who may not be practicing a specific faith that talk about how they love the Biblical imagery Bono uses in his writing. However, they appreciate simply as beautiful literature. Peterrrr, from my understanding, was saying the entire Bible was horrible and something he was uninterested in. I was asking how he could listen to music that prominently features words and concepts he hates. Later though, he clarified that he was talking about specific issues The Bible talks about, as opposed to The Bible itself. I think it was just a lack of clarity on all our parts. I hope I cleared things up for you!

Well, and some people don't care for lyrics at all. :)
When I started listening to U2, my English was not much more than "yes" and "no".

(north)amerika is not the world...
i can see some influence to Achtung Baby and the ZooTv shows.

U2isthebest said:

I'll just encompass everyone who responed to my question, by responding to this post.

I think there was a misunderstanding caused by me not being very clear. I know and am glad that U2 appeals to people outside the Christian market. They're ambiguous and their lyrics and music are about the honesty of the human condition. It's about where they're at at a particular stage in their life. It's honest and real, it's not fake shit about skipping through lands of rainbows and ponies with Jesus, like so much "Christian" music is. As Bono has said, "We've sort of drawn our fish in the sand, it's there for people who are interested. It shouldn't be for those who aren't." In the early days of Christianity, when being a Christian could get you killed, a Christian would often draw half a fish (a symbol of Christianity, stemming from Jesus telling the disciples to be "fishers of man") in the sand to find out if someone else was a Christian. If the other person drew the other half, they obviously understood and were likely a Christian. If they didn't, than they were probably not a Christian. I feel like Bono is spot on in comparing U2's music to that act. Those of us who are Christians can sense that message of the love and grace of God coming through. Those of you may not be Believers still sense love and grace, perhaps, but not from God. That's awesome too! I'm glad U2 has fans from every racial, religious, cultural, social, etc. background. I've met many people on here and otherwise who may not be practicing a specific faith that talk about how they love the Biblical imagery Bono uses in his writing. However, they appreciate simply as beautiful literature. Peterrrr, from my understanding, was saying the entire Bible was horrible and something he was uninterested in. I was asking how he could listen to music that prominently features words and concepts he hates. Later though, he clarified that he was talking about specific issues The Bible talks about, as opposed to The Bible itself. I think it was just a lack of clarity on all our parts. I hope I cleared things up for you!

I should have been clear that it wasn't directed specifically to you, too :) I noticed it was a common theme in the U2 parts of this site back when I used to read them.

Back
Top Bottom