Jesse Helms quotes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anitram

Blue Crack Addict
There was some discussion of Helms on this board. But here are actual quotes/opinions of his, which cannot be discounted.

He was elected many times, obviously. I'm not an American, but what I'm wondering is what outstanding things was he doing that people actually overlooked all these details?

Helms sowed hatred and called names: The University of North Carolina was "the University of Negroes and Communists." (Capital Times, 11/22/94) Black civil rights activists were "Communists and sex perverts." (Copley News Service, 8/23/01

Of civil rights protests Helms wrote, "The Negro cannot count forever on the kind of restraint that's thus far left him free to clog the streets, disrupt traffic, and interfere with other men's rights." (WRAL-TV commentary, 1963) He also wrote, "Crime rates and irresponsibility among Negroes are a fact of life which must be faced." (New York Times, 2/8/81)

Over the years Helms has declared homosexuality "degenerate," and homosexuals "weak, morally sick wretches." (Newsweek, 12/5/94) In a tirade highlighting his routine opposition to AIDS research funding, Helms lashed out at the Kennedy-Hatch AIDS bill in 1988: "There is not one single case of AIDS in this country that cannot be traced in origin to sodomy." (States News Service, 5/17/88)

And the man ABC News now describes as a "conservative icon" (8/22/01) in 1993 sang "Dixie" in an elevator to Carol Moseley-Braun, the first African-American woman elected to the Senate, bragging, "I'm going to make her cry. I'm going to sing Dixie until she cries." (Chicago Sun-Times, 8/5/93)

More recently, when a caller to CNN's Larry King Live show praised guest Jesse Helms for "everything you've done to help keep down the niggers," Helms' response was to salute the camera and say, "Well, thank you, I think." (Wilmington Star-News, 9/16/95)

You overlook the fact that Helms was a reflection of his constituents, which, when he was first elected, were rabid racists, homophobes, and Christian conservatives.

Of course, I do believe racism has gone down a lot since he was first elected, but still, you can't deny it isn't uncommon. Homophobia and Christian conservatism is still common with his constituents, and Helms doesn't fail to perform in both aspects. And it doesn't help that he is a 30+ years tenured senator, which--whether you like him or not--does give your state quite a few perks when funding appropriations come your way.

When it does come down to it, you can hate him all you want, but it is the voters of his home state that count in the end.

Melon

------------------
?Confused by thoughts, we experience duality in life. Unencumbered by ideas, the enlightened see the one reality.? - Hui-neng (638-713)

I dont think these things should ever be looked over! These are obviously comments made out of hate. I could care less if the mans constiuents were like this it still makes him an evil man!!!

------------------
Running to Stand Still-"you gotta cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

"we're not burning out we're burning up...we're the loudest folk band in the world!"-Bono

Originally posted by bonoman:
I I could care less if the mans constiuents were like this it still makes him an evil man!!!

This is the price of democracy. These comments, while offensive, are not illegal. If this were France, where such hate speech is illegal, I think Helms would be in prison for all eternity. But it is his constituents that count, and it is only they that count, as they are the only ones who could have prevented his reelection time and time again. But since Helms is retiring, we won't have to worry about him again very soon.

Melon

------------------
?Confused by thoughts, we experience duality in life. Unencumbered by ideas, the enlightened see the one reality.? - Hui-neng (638-713)

I hope you didnt think i was attacking you, i re-read my post and i apoligize for the way i reacted. I think this is pretty much sick. I am very surprised Bono is a allie to this man!!!

------------------
Running to Stand Still-"you gotta cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

"we're not burning out we're burning up...we're the loudest folk band in the world!"-Bono

Back
Top Bottom