Jerry Falwell is insane

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
I submit to you this excerpt from a televised arguement between Jesse Jackson and Jerry Falwell:

JACKSON: I submit to you today that our going to Iraq was a misadventure. It has put America in isolation. We are losing lives, money and losing our character in that war.

We deserve better leadership. And we need...

FALWELL: I'd rather be killing them over there than fighting them over here, Jesse. And I think you would...

JACKSON: Let's stop the killing and choose peace. Let's choose negotiation over confrontation.

FALWELL: Well, I'm for that too. But you've got to kill the terrorists before the killing stops. And I'm for the president to chase them all over the world. If it takes 10 years, blow them all away in the name of the Lord.

JACKSON: That does not sound Biblical to me. And that sounds ridiculous.

Falwell is insane, that's no surprise to anybody. He's totally certifiable, and the fact that anybody in the world gives this guy any credibility at all, quite frankly scares me.

These most-extreme right-wing christians, the ones who love to tell us that the Muslim terrorists are 'evil' because they're commiting their crimes based(more and more loosely) on their religious beliefs....the furthest right christians, the people who support people like Jerry Falwell, they are part of the problem here. Some(keyword: SOME) Christians are as out of their minds with their beliefs as some(keywords: SOME) Islam people are. The only difference is that Christians aren't internationally mass-murdering people. Yet. It's part of the problem. When one of the big reasons Muslims hate us is because we don't show them any respect and because we have a public image of ALL of them being terrorists, then if these most fanatical of the fanatical Christians are going to keep calling said Muslims 'evil', then it's part of the problem. And people just don't get it(or at least not enough people get it).

It's a shame that Christianity, at least the way Falwell preaches it, has strayed so far from what Jesus was all about. Shame on you, Jerry. This is why I refuse to believe in any religion.

Last edited:
No argument here about the general crazyness of Falwell, but I still think that Jackson is dead wrong on the matter - appeasement does not work against religious hatred and one would be a fool to believe that it can.

A_Wanderer said:
No argument here about the general crazyness of Falwell, but I still think that Jackson is dead wrong on the matter - appeasement does not work against religious hatred and one would be a fool to believe that it can.

I won't give up on diplomacy as easily as you.

Diplomacy with religious fundamentalists is begging for peace at any price - the only peace they want to see is a glorious peace of the grave for us while the global ummah reigns supreme. We have no comprehension of such religious hatred, the west has not known it for centuries and we cannot understand it today, until we do we are weak.

Now this statement about "Diplomacy With Religious Funamentalists" was not in relation to the Baathists, let me make that clear, but the talk of choosing negotiation over conferantation applied to Islamism broadly would be asking for trouble. All that it takes is for a few governments to be collapsed in the right places and these evil men could visit an apocalypse upon the world, unlike the USSR one group who is of a purely religious mindset would have no moral qualms about unleashing them because they have divine inspiration for all of their genocidal endevors.

Falwell is kept around by the media for exactly these type of stupid statements. At times, I think the same applies to Jesse Jackson as well.

Jerry Falwell is such a fake. I once picketed a meeting of Moral Majority when a friend of mine was clever enough to get an invitation to a "private" meeting. Imagine their shock when four people--three guys and yours truly--entered the building with signs. After that we had to rush to keep from getting busted for parading without a permit. It's been years since I did stuff like this, but sometimes it's fun to look back.

Aw shucks.........we were just exercising our right to say what we thought of Moral Majority. We were written up in the newspapers the next day. "Four sign-carrying demonstrators"............it was really quite a rush. If the election doesn't go for my guy next Tuesday I'm stocking up on poster board in anticipation of more protest activity. Dorothy Day, my heroine, would definitely approve. :wink:

Last edited:
Neither Jerry Falwell nor Jesse Jackson makes me particularly proud to be a Christian.

nbcrusader said:
Falwell is kept around by the media for exactly these type of stupid statements. At times, I think the same applies to Jesse Jackson as well.

I agree. Let's be fair. Jackson has his inconsistencies as well. He's made some pretty dumbass remarks. Sometimes I think we need another MLK and we don't have one dammit. :mad: :madspit: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Back
Top Bottom