Iwo Jima Vets Blast Time's "Enviromental" Cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow. That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. I agree with the vets.

"there needs to be a real effort along the lines of World War II to combat global warming and climate change"..... WHAT?

:banghead:

Well, I can see what's happening here. A bunch of Republican veterans are angry that their battle is being used for "liberal causes."

I think they need to calm down for a moment, and take a look at what is being said, rather than the ideology saying it. I see absolutely nothing here that is inherently offensive to veterans. People make metaphors all the time, and if one believes that global warming is as serious as it is, then the effort required to combat it is certainly going to require a "World War"-type international coalition to do it. No single country or continent can single-handedly fix it.

melon said:
Well, I can see what's happening here. A bunch of Republican veterans are angry that their battle is being used for "liberal causes."

No. It's a bunch of veterans angry over a stupid cause and a ridiculous use of a picture.

If I was in WW2, or if I was one of the men in that picture, aware of the immeasurable sacrifice of that war and the meaning behind that picture, and I saw it being used this way- to prop up a freakin' tree- I would be outraged.

Metaphor my butt. Use a different metaphor. This makes the global warming nutjob alarmists look even more idiotic. I didn't think it was possible.

2861U2 said:
No. It's a bunch of veterans angry over a stupid cause and a ridiculous use of a picture.

If I was in WW2, or if I was one of the men in that picture, aware of the immeasurable sacrifice of that war and the meaning behind that picture, and I saw it being used this way- to prop up a freakin' tree- I would be outraged.

Metaphor my butt. Use a different metaphor. This makes the global warming nutjob alarmists look even worse. I didn't think it was possible.

Of course you're outraged. You're an unabashed Republican, and you probably think that global warming is a "liberal lie." Am I right? It's the perfect storm of ridiculous Republican rage.

For the record, my grandfather was an Iwo Jima veteran. I'm fully aware of the sacrifices they made.

This metaphor is hardly something to get outraged over. Not one person is belittling their contributions or memory.

Last edited:
2861U2 said:

Metaphor my butt. Use a different metaphor. This makes the global warming nutjob alarmists look even more idiotic. I didn't think it was possible.

Dude, you are too easily outraged and frightened.

2861U2 said:
stupid cause

One day I want to hear what the trees did to Republicans to make them hate them so much. It would be a fascinating story.
105.gif

martha said:

Dude, you are too easily outraged and frightened.

No.

I get angry when people start comparing global warming to the fight and sacrifice of an actual war, and I don't care if it's meant as a stupid metaphor.

I get angry when people say that global warming deniers are similar to Holocaust deniers.

I get angry when people say climate change, not radical Islam, is the biggest challenge we face.

I get angry when Al Gore says the planet will be scorching in 10 years and he is not challenged on it.

I get angry when all these "experts" try to silence the voice of skeptics.

Last edited:
PlaTheGreat said:

One day I want to hear what the trees did to Republicans to make them hate them so much. It would be a fascinating story.
105.gif

I don't hate trees. I'm just a skeptic.

Is the ginormously huge ice shelf collapse real or fake?

711442.jpg

Answer this:

In the middle of the night, a man throws a pile of trash on your front lawn. It's a big steaming pile of God knows what and it's killing your grass as well the neighbor's cat who just ate its mysterious contents.

Are you going to clean it up, or let it fester?

The earth is warming up, Republican or Democrat doesn't matter in this case (I'm not either one, in fact). It might not even be our fault if you want to think that way, but it's better to stop this problem before we face even more consequences.

2861U2 said:
I get angry when people start comparing global warming to the fight and sacrifice of an actual war, and I don't care if it's meant as a stupid metaphor.

Considering this is the only comparison you've ever seen like this, I would consider this a cop out.

I get angry when people say that global warming deniers are similar to Holocaust deniers.

Get your science together. That will be the way to get rid of this one.

I get angry when people say climate change, not radical Islam, is the biggest challenge we face.

:shrug:

Not everything will go according to the GOP playbook in life.

I get angry when Al Gore says the planet will be scorching in 10 years and he is not challenged on it.

I get angry when all these "experts" try to silence the voice of skeptics.

Well, now we know that veterans and Iwo Jima have nothing to do with your outrage. The least you can do is owe up to it next time.

melon said:

Get your science together. That will be the way to get rid of this one.

No thanks. I've already done enough research to know better than to fall for the nonsense. I've seen plenty of science suggesting otherwise. That's the problem. Not enough people are doing actual research and making up their own minds.

melon said:
Well, now we know that veterans and Iwo Jima have nothing to do with your outrage. The least you can do is owe up to it next time.

Excuse me? :eyebrow:

Tell me- what do you think is a bigger threat to our way of life? Climate change or terrorism?

2861U2 said:
No thanks. I've already done enough research to know better than to fall for the nonsense. I've seen plenty of science suggesting otherwise. That's the problem. Not enough people are doing actual research and making up their own minds.

Mind sharing that research then?

Tell me- what do you think is a bigger threat to our way of life? Climate change or terrorism?

Tell me--do you go through life with such vehement dualism all the time? Is everything "either or"?

It does seem pretty clear, though, that if the solution to a problem doesn't involve the military, we're not exactly interested. Both are considerable challenges that our world faces. If the most dire predictions of global warming ever came true, then conditions of famine and poverty would most certainly not help the war on terror.

Of course, since you don't think climate change exists, why are we even having this discussion?

2861U2 said:

I too am curious to see this research you speak of. Most of my engineer friends even agree that renewable energy is the way to go.

I'm honestly thinking the denial of global warming is purely an American idea...based on my own personal experience of course. I've stayed in villages and "projects" in different countries, and even they are educating their youth about the environment and making eco-friendly decisions. Why such a minor percentage of the population refuse to consider what the rest of the world is saying is beyond me.

unico said:

Why such a minor percentage of the population refuse to consider what the rest of the world is saying is beyond me.

Because "we" (ie. many in the US) don't want to change our lifestyle at all. That's why.

2861U2 said:

I've seen your research... Let me tell you, you have a long way to go.:|

2861U2 said:

If I was in WW2, or if I was one of the men in that picture, .

the men in that picture were just pretending

it was an reenactment

They did it to get this kind of attention, I would imagine. So it's working. I don't think it's a stupid cause.

To say it's a mortal sin and they're going to hell for it like that article says, well that's ridiculous. Looking at that picture honestly it is a bit disturbing/disconcerting to me, but that's what magazines do to sell magazines. I think they probably should have made a different decision- it's an extreme to get a desired reaction.

2861U2 said:

No.

I get angry ....

You get all fired up about nearly everything in FYM. You're furious when a Democrat says something lame, you scared when a Democrat says pretty much anything, you get pissed when pretty much anything you disagree with is actually considered by people.

Not everything is worth the high blood pressure.

And over reacting to all this doesn't do you any good when you really do have something to be outraged about.

indra said:

Because "we" (ie. many in the US) don't want to change our lifestyle at all. That's why.

I don't like liberals (who are supposed to be all about personal liberty, right?) telling me what cars to drive, and what light bulbs I can and can't have, and what foods I should and shouldn't be eating, and the list goes on and on of all the things the left says I can't do/have.

martha said:

You get all fired up about nearly everything in FYM. You're furious when a Democrat says something lame, you scared when a Democrat says pretty much anything, you get pissed when pretty much anything you disagree with is actually considered by people.

Not everything is worth the high blood pressure.

And over reacting to all this doesn't do you any good when you really do have something to be outraged about.

No, it's only the really stupid, unchallenged lies that I get angry over. 99% of the posts in FYM I disagree with. Doesn't mean I'm sitting here with an angry look on my face all the time.

And when did I ever say I was outraged? I said that if I was a WW2 vet and I saw this magazine, I would be outraged.

Last edited:
2861U2 said:
I don't like liberals (who are supposed to be all about personal liberty, right?) telling me what cars to drive, and what light bulbs I can and can't have, and what foods I should and shouldn't be eating, and the list goes on and on of all the things the left says I can't do/have.

I guess, then, if it weren't for "the liberals," then you'd still be driving a 7 mpg loud clunker. Even then, correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't it Republicans who started the first laws mandating fuel efficiency in the 1970s? That certainly hasn't stopped us from having every type of car under the sun, so I'm not sure what else you're looking for here. :shrug:

Wasn't it Bush who supported the law phasing out traditional (and, by conservative standards, "traditional" must be better!) light bulbs? A lot of "the liberals" have been decrying this as a token gesture that will have limited results.

I also don't see the GOP pushing to eliminate the food pyramid either. Short of calls against trans fat (which nobody will miss, but still isn't banned everywhere), what other food are "the liberals" preventing you from eating?

Really, I think you're confusing "liberal" with "statist." The GOP is certainly not anti-statist, that's for sure.

Last edited:
2861U2 said:

It's not so much telling you what you can and can't have as it is about being open to the idea that there is better way of doing things. A way that still lets you have the comforts of modern life, but doesn't blatantly abuse the environment around you. Are you against having clean air to breathe, or clean water to drink, more efficient cars, new means of providing electricity, getting rid of a dependence on the middle east? Or do you believe that those goals are not worth any sacrifice you would may have to make?

It's precisely people like you that caused Time to come out with such a dramatic cover. The people that are so closed minded about the issue, that they openly dismiss anything to do with the environment as junk science or infringing upon your life. Can you see why Time thinks this is such a tough task and went with such bold imagery.

2861U2 said:

Then I pose the question again: Why do you hate trees?

If someone says that this light bulb will save 10 trees from destruction (hypotheticals, again) as well as save you $20 a month in electricity bills, why would you keep your old bulbs? Is it out of spite? I'm starting to think it is. :huh:

We can be better.

And to further prove that it's not a partisan issue but a worldly issue: http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewCulture.asp?Page=/Culture/archive/200703/CUL20070301c.html

Hey, look, it calls out Gore in his hypocrisy! Go go go go go!

PlaTheGreat said:

Then I pose the question again: Why do you hate trees?

Again, I'm a fan of trees.

PlaTheGreat said:
If someone says that this light bulb will save 10 trees from destruction (hypotheticals, again) as well as save you $20 a month in electricity bills, why would you keep your old bulbs? Is it out of spite? I'm starting to think it is. :huh:

Well that's a dumb hypothetical, so it's hard to answer. What I don't like is the government telling me what to do and the government outlawing the sale of light bulbs, eliminating my personal choice. It's a total abuse of government.

PlaTheGreat said:

We can be better.

Fine. But I don't want the government forcing things on me, and saying I hate the earth if I don't comply.

2861U2 said:

I don't like being told that I need to respect traditional family values, say no to drugs, not enjoy the benefits of stem cell research, not have sex until marriage and that I must respect a person for their faith.

I especially don't like it when people take those sayings and use government force to coerce me into doing it, to that end mainstream social conservatives have more than enough to answer for.

2861U2 said:

What I don't like is the government telling me what to do and the government outlawing the sale of light bulbs, eliminating my personal choice. It's a total abuse of government.

Really. Light bulbs? A total abuse of government?!

This is what I meant earlier. Everything's an extreme with you.

And it's always funny to me when conservatives get pissed about their "personal choices" being taken away when it's about something as trivial as light bulbs. :snicker: When many of them are all about taking my "personal choices" away from me.

2861U2 said:

Fine. But I don't want the government forcing things on me, and saying I hate the earth if I don't comply.

And you have no problem with the government forcing things on others with regards to marriage, abortion, and so on?

I think it is time for you to wake up and realize you live in a global community and consider making decisions that benefit others besides just yourself. Conservative parties in other countries are also pro-environment. Your "partisan" labeling is just a piss poor excuse so that you can continue to live your selfish lifestyle. Like I said, I've been to poor communities where people don't have much, yet you don't see them complaining about light bulbs. They too are doing what they can to preserve and consume less energy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom