its the worlds most offensive couch...al sharpton must be fuming!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

europop2005

Refugee
Offensive couch label traced to China

TORONTO - Doris Moore was shocked when her new couch was delivered to her home with a label that used a racial slur to describe the dark brown shade of the upholstery.

The situation was even more alarming for Moore because it was her 7-year-old daughter who pointed out "n----- brown" on the tag.

"My daughter saw the label and she knew the color brown, but didn't know what the other word meant. She asked, 'Mommy, what color is that?' I was stunned. I didn't know what to say. I never thought that's how she'd learn of that word," Moore said.

The mother complained to the furniture store, which blamed the supplier, who pointed to a computer problem as the source of the derogatory label

Kingsoft Corp., a Chinese software company, acknowledged its translation program was at fault and said it was a regrettable error.

"I know this is a very bad word," Huang Luoyi, a product manager for the Beijing-based company's translation software, told The Associated Press in a telephone interview.

He explained that when the Chinese characters for "dark brown" are typed into an older version of its Chinese-English translation software, the offensive N-word description comes up.

"We got the definition from a Chinese-English dictionary. We've been using the dictionary for 10 years. Maybe the dictionary was updated, but we probably didn't follow suit," he said.

Moore, who is black, said Kingsoft's acknowledgment of a mistake doesn't make her feel better.

"They should know what they are typing, even if it is a software error," she said. "In order for something to come into the country, don't they read it first? Doesn't the manufacturer? The supplier?"

Romesh Vanaik, owner of Vanaik Furniture where Moore bought the sofa, said it has been a best seller. He said he checked his stock but found no other couch with the offensive label.

He added that he had not known the meaning of the N-word.

"It's amazing. I've been here since 1972 and I never knew the meaning of this word," said Vanaik, a native of India.

His supplier, Paul Kumar of Cosmos Furniture in Toronto, denied responsibility and refused to give the name of the couch's Chinese manufacturer.

"It's not my fault. It's not the manufacturers' fault," he said, adding that Kingsoft was to blame.

Huang said Kingsoft has worked to correct the translation error. In the 2007 version, typing "dark brown" in Chinese does not produce the racial slur in English. But if the offensive term is typed in English, the Chinese translation is "dark brown," he said.

Moore is consulting with a lawyer and wants compensation. Last week, she filed a report with the Ontario Human Rights Commission.

Commission spokeswoman Afroze Edwards said the case is in the initial stages and could take six months to two years to resolve.

Moore, 30, has three young children, and said the issue has taken a toll on her family.

"Something more has to be done. We don't just need a personal apology, but someone needs to own up to where these labels were made, and someone needs to apologize to all people of color," Moore said. "I had friends over from St. Lucia yesterday and they wouldn't sit on the couch."

uh oh another 3 weeks of Media and Sharpton asking for the firing of a couch and computer.

:lock:

unless we just want to snicker about the word "******"
because it is just a word, right

and belittle Sharpton for no reason

I think they are really upset because they did not get
their ho coffee table, with their couch

deep said:
:lock:

unless we just want to snicker about the word "******"
because it is just a word, right

and belittle Sharpton for no reason

I think they are really upset because they did not get
their ho coffee table, with their couch

Is Al Sharpton above criticism?
:huh:

europop2005 said:
Offensive couch label traced to China

He said he checked his stock but found no other couch with the offensive label.

how convenient.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Did Al even show up in the article?

Fair point, for some reason the thread title mentioned Al Sharpton, even though he wasn't mentioned in the article.

Mind you, Al Sharpton is still a racist twat.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
But you aren't, right?

Can you please stop following me around the forum and posting your random snidey insults at me.

No offense or anything, but I don't think we're meant for each other.

I pity the fool.

diamond said:

well

looks like this has turned into an Al Sharton thread

LoanMax spokesman

In November 2005, Sharpton appeared in advertisements for LoanMax, an automobile title loan company. Sharpton was criticized for appearing in the ads, as LoanMax has been accused of predatory lending charging fees, and for marketing them to primarily poor, urban and African American audiences. The ads featuring Sharpton were run in predominantly African American markets.

On December 7, 2005, he ended his relationship with LoanMax. In a letter to Rod Aycox, LoanMax president and chief executive officer, Sharpton said, "I respectfully, but firmly decline your offer for further engagement on my part, and will not engage in any business relationship to promote auto lending with LoanMax." Sharpton said he had not done the research before agreeing to the commercials.

Maybe the reason this thread and future threads about racism will turn into Al Sharpton threads, because he is a hypocritical thug who calls everyone out but him self or his own race. And when I say his own race, each race has idiots who make it bad for others. Al Sharpton is one of them.

Justin24 said:
Maybe the reason this thread and future threads about racism will turn into Al Sharpton threads, because he is a hypocritical thug who calls everyone out but him self or his own race.
Right, because the fact that Al Sharpton can be a hypocrite automatically renders all claims of antiblack racism insignificant.

If future threads about racism turn into Al Sharpton threads they will most likely wind up closed, unless he's somehow directly relevant to the initial post topic.

Concerning this situation, if that were my couch I wouldn't have filed a compensation claim with the Human Rights Commission over it, but I would most definitely have phoned the retailer and written to the supplier and software company to say WTF?!? It isn't funny, and it's especially not funny to think that the supplier-importer may have noticed the labeling on whatever sort of packaging the couch ships in before and not taken steps to ensure the manufacturer stopped using that translation.

yolland said:

Right, because the fact that Al Sharpton can be a hypocrite automatically renders all claims of antiblack racism insignificant.

If future threads about racism turn into Al Sharpton threads they will most likely wind up closed, unless he's somehow directly relevant to the initial post topic.

Thank you.

yolland said:

Concerning this situation, if that were my couch I wouldn't have filed a compensation claim with the Human Rights Commission over it, but I would most definitely have phoned the retailer and written to the supplier and software company to say WTF?!? It isn't funny, and it's especially not funny to think that the supplier-importer may have noticed the labeling on whatever sort of packaging the couch ships in before and not taken steps to ensure the manufacturer stopped using that translation.

It's called Favoritism.:|

Sorry I had to do this. I would rather listen to Malcom X or MLK over these 2 men any day.

sharpton_jackson.jpg

"So Sharpton"

"Yes Jackson"

"Did you hear about that couch that had the "N" word printed on the tag?"

"No I did not, my god I think it's time for another firing?"

"But Sharpton God asks to forgive one another."

"Please Jackson, don't lecture me. Did you apologize for calling New York Heimy Town?"

"No, did you ever apologize for falsely accusinf cops of raping her? oh and what about the Crown Height riots where a mob killed a Jewish person, yelling Kill the Jew?"

"No."

"Well then ok, lets go get those guys fired!"

"By the way Jackson are you going to keep your promise about paying for the strippers education, no matter what the outcome?"

"Nah it's just for poblicity."

"hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha"

:| You can close the thread if you want. But this is my freedom of expression.
:wink:

My bad.

Last edited:
yolland said:
What's "it"?

these two men do some bad shit and no media frenzy and yet someone else says something and boom media frenzy and the apologizing etc...

Justin24 said:
"No, did you ever apologize for causing the riot in NY after that girl falsely accused cops of raping her and then a mob killed a Jewish man, yelling Kill the Jew?"
What the hell is this supposed to mean? What does Tawana Brawley have to do with Yankel Rosenbaum?
Justin24 said:
these two men do some bad shit and no media frenzy and yet someone else says something and boom media frenzy and the apologizing etc...
There's been PLENTY of media frenzy over Sharpton and Jackson, otherwise you wouldn't even know about this stuff.

Last edited:
There is one article about this topic so far.
That's a media frenzy?

As said, neither Sharpton nor Jackson made a call as of yet.

Don't paint the devil on the wall.

It's a terrible thing that happened, and I hope that everybody in the chain of processing and delivering the couch, that means the companies, will revise their quality control to make sure such a thing can't happen again.

But I also think that the attempt to sue them etc. is a bit much. They apologized immediately, and it can't be undone.
But I don't see a need to take it to court and make it a big human rights issue. It wasn't done on purpose.

Diemen said:
Justin, you really, really don't know when to quit, do you?

:tsk:

By the way, this board is not a democracy.

Why should I quit, Must be strong.

So if this is not a democracy then is what is it?

Monarchy?, Dictatorship? Communism (no that wont work cause your limited to what you can say. Sam applies to a dictatorship.

So please explain to me what this is?

yolland said:

There's been PLENTY of media frenzy over Sharpton and Jackson, otherwise you wouldn't even know about this stuff.

Then why have they not been fired from their organizations for some of their comments or actions?

Justin24 said:

Why should I quit, Must be strong.

So if this is not a democracy then is what is it?

Monarchy?, Dictatorship? Communism (no that wont work cause your limited to what you can say. Sam applies to a dictatorship.

So please explain to me what this is?

Your rights and restrictions are limited by what the mods allow you to say.

Justin24 said:

Then why have they not been fired from their organizations for some of their comments or actions?

Tell me, how can you fire yourself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom