It's the end of the world, guys...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
Over 1000 years of apocalypticism. Over 1000 years of crap.

445px-1992_Rapture.jpg

992 - End of the world according to Bernard of Thüringen

1524 February 20 - Worldwide deluge according to German astrologer Johann Stoffler (later moved to 1588)

1533 - The Millennium would occur according to Anabaptists
- Return of Christ in Strasbourg according to Melchior Hoffman

1759 - God's anger against the wicked would be demonstrated in 1759 according to Christopher Love

1761 April 5 - destruction of London according to a soldier named Bell

1844 October 22 - Believed to be the return of Jesus Christ by the Millerites

1882 & 1911 - End of the world according to Scottish astrologer Charles Piazzi Smyth based on the calculations of the great pyramid of Giza

1889 March 8 - Christ would return according to Claas Epp, Jr.

1914 - End of the world according to Charles Taze Russell

1919 - Conjunction of 6 planets would make the sun explode, according to meteorologist Albert Porta

1925 - End of the World according to Jehovah's Witnesses

1928 May 29 - End of the world according to The Great Pyramid: Its Divine Message by David Davidson and Herbert Aldersmith.

1936 September 6 - End of the world according to George F. Riffel (he later claimed that it had actually predicted the abdication of Edward VIII)

1953 August 29 - End of the world according to the 1940 edition of The Great Pyramid: Its Divine Message

1952 - "It's all going to be over" evangelist Billy Graham

1967 December 25 - Nuclear holocaust, according to Anders Jensen of Orthon Disciples

1981 - Kingdom of Heaven according to the Unification Church (rescinded)

1982 - End of the world according to Pat Robertson.
- Jupiter effect, astronomical alignment of planets on the one side of the sun would cause lethal solar flares - according to UK authors John Gribbin and Stephen Plageman

1988 - Rapture according to The Late, Great Planet Earth by Hal Lindsey

1991 - End of the world (attributed to Mother Shipton)

1992 October 28 - Return of Christ / Rapture (Lee Jan Rim)

1993 November 14 or November 24 - End of the world according to Ukrainian White Brotherhood

1998 May 31 - Rapture according to evangelist Marilyn Agee
July 5 - X-Day according to the Church of the SubGenius

2000 - End of the world according to Jeanne de Roger

2003 May 15 - end of the world according to Pana Wave Laboratory (later changed to May 22)

2006 June 6 - Date predicted by some for being Number of the Beast day (6/06/06)

I give some credit to Hinduism, though. Even if they believe in an "end," they put the date at something like A.D. 428900. Of course, there's obviously some Hindu cults that conveniently put the end of the world in the near future.

Aren't we tired of this bullshit yet?

Melon

Don't forget December 21, 2012, the end of the Mayan calendar.

melon said:

I give some credit to Hinduism, though. Even if they believe in an "end," they put the date at something like A.D. 428900.

:ohmy: I better start preparing.

joyfulgirl said:
Don't forget December 21, 2012, the end of the Mayan calendar.

I purposely omitted future dates, mainly because I wanted to focus on past failures. But, yes, 2012 is already looking to be the future date for a global lunatic convention.

Melon

80sU2isBest said:
"No man shall know the date or the hour..."

I agree. Funny enough, so many "believers" have been occupied with something that would conclusively disprove Biblical fundamentalism if it actually occurred on their time frame.

Melon

It's the end of the world as we know it.
It's the end of the world as we know it.
It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

100 years from now will the name Al Gore be included amongst history's failed prophets of doom?

The future is called "perhaps," which is the only possible thing to call the future. And the only important thing is not to allow that to scare you. ~Tennessee Williams, Orpheus Descending, 1957

INDY500 said:
100 years from now will the name Al Gore be included amongst history's failed prophets of doom?

Well, obviously, I hope he will be. I don't want to see the world end on such a bleak note.

As I've mentioned before, science offers moderate comfort when it comes to controlling global warming. The chances of having runaway global warming like on Venus are generally pretty low, mainly because the Gulf Stream will probably shut down first. That alone will plunge the Northern Hemisphere into, at least, a mini Ice Age that will last about 1000 years. This last happened approximately 12,000 years ago, when retreating glaciers, coupled with rising elevation, due to glacial rebound, dumped large quanties of freshwater into the North Atlantic. If the north polar ice cap melts completely, it will have a similar effect.

In some ways, that would be a bit of a relief, although it would make northern Europe uninhabitable. The alternative would probably be increased warming, causing complete permafrost melting, which would release insane amounts of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. It could then, in the worst case scenario, warm the oceans enough to unleash oceanic methane clathrate (methane water ice) deposits into the atmosphere, which are powerful enough to potentially cause a mass extinction event.

But no, none of this means the literal end of the world, although the worst-case could mean an end to humanity. Lower forms of life, such as plants, would probably grow dramatically without human interference and suck up most of the atmospheric carbon dioxide. Earth has means of achieving equilibrium when left alone.

Melon

face.jpg

Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives. And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

80sU2isBest said:
"No man shall know the date or the hour..."

i've always wondered what would happen if someone predicted everyday as that day.

would it stop it from ever happening?

melon said:
I don't want to see the world end on such a bleak note.

Melon
And could Bird Flu end the world on a beak note? :giggle:
(where's the groaning/bad pun smilie when you need it?)

Anyway, here's to the list only growing longer.
(and where's the toasting smilie when you need it?)

INDY500 said:

And could Bird Flu end the world on a beak note? :giggle:
(where's the groaning/bad pun smilie when you need it?)

Anyway, here's to the list only growing longer.
(and where's the toasting smilie when you need it?)

Bird flu is a strange one. We can't exactly compare this to 1918, because not only did we have the end of WWI and a massive migration of people/armies, but we also don't live in a primarily agricultural world anymore.

Pandemics are always "possible," but they obviously don't pop up everyday.

Y2K, obviously, is my favorite of the stupid reasons to be afraid. I mean, I've never known my computer to fail, because the date was wrong. :wink:

Melon

This thread is an excellent example of why we must consider all of Scripture, not just select portions. The companion to end times prophecy is the warning that it will happen at a time we do not know. Failed predictions (which in and of themselves run contrary to Scripture) do not invalidate prophecy.

We only have been given the warning signs and will know when it actually happens. Only the Lord knows the date.

nbcrusader said:
Only the Lord knows the date.

And Stephen Hawking :wink:

I'm watching the NASA feed right now from the international space station. It's breathtaking when the camera spins around and catches a shot of earth in full glow :drool:

It's amazing what we've accomplished. I do believe in a "creator," call it God, or what have you. But, I also believe much of our destiny lies within our own grasp; we've reached the point in human history where we have the tools to either solve pretty much every problem, or destroy it all in a heartbeat.

I don't believe that human stupidity is part of God's mandate or fixed plan...we have the power to act on that one.

Well, just to be serious for a moment.
In his letters to the Corinthians, Paul describes many gifts which God gives to members of the church. This gift may be wisdom, knowledge, faith, ability to heal others, ability to perform miracles, discernings of spirits, speaking in tongues, or interpretation of the words of a person speaking in tongues and prophecy. So someday, through the Holy Spirit, couldn't some prophet actually know "the date and the hour."
Would he be believed?

INDY500 said:
So someday, through the Holy Spirit, couldn't some prophet actually know "the date and the hour."

Jesus says that only the Father knows. The Holy Spirit doesn't know.

INDY500 said:
Well, just to be serious for a moment.
In his letters to the Corinthians, Paul describes many gifts which God gives to members of the church. This gift may be wisdom, knowledge, faith, ability to heal others, ability to perform miracles, discernings of spirits, speaking in tongues, or interpretation of the words of a person speaking in tongues and prophecy. So someday, through the Holy Spirit, couldn't some prophet actually know "the date and the hour."
Would he be believed?

Mmmmm. . . .I don't think so. Jesus seemed to make it clear that it would be a "surprise." There are signs, so that believers recognize when it's getting close, but I think he made a point of saying a date wouldn't ever be given.

To be honest, I don't really understand why a date would matter any way. The best place those of us who believe in "the end" coming at some point, is to always believe it can be very soon. Not so we can run to the hills and stockpile, but because let's face it, we really don't know if it's going to be over for us, individually, in the next five minutes, five days, or five years. What we do know is that, barring serious medical advances, at the most, "the end of the world" for me and probably most of you will happen sometime around 2076 if not sooner.

So we've got 70 years. Maybe.

I don't think "the end" should be about fear, at least if you believe that God has a happy ending for you (i.e. you are "saved" in Christian terminology). In my church we have this song we sing at the end of every church service called "We Have This Hope". It's about hope in the coming of the Lord, which is exactly what we should have. Hope not fear.

Of course, those who are setting dates are generally trying to scare people, which I think is deplorable.

maycocksean said:
There are signs, so that believers recognize when it's getting close, but I think he made a point of saying a date wouldn't ever be given.

And, yet, these are "signs" that are so generic as to be practially meaningless.

I do think it should be noted that the Gospels and the Book of Revelation are completely unrelated texts. In fact, even as the NT canon was sealed in the 4th century A.D., the church fathers strongly questioned whether such a book was divinely inspired. I think they found themselves questioning whether such a book had a place in the Bible to begin with; but, obviously, they erred on the side of inclusion.

I think fear of progress plays into why a lot of Christians believe that the end is always in their lifetime, but who knows. Maybe the year 3006 will make people look back nostalgically on the "good old days" of 2006. Or, maybe, they'll laugh at how primitive we were.

Melon

melon said:

And, yet, these are "signs" that are so generic as to be practially meaningless.

Which is, I think, kind of the point Jesus was making. (I'm referring to Christ's statements, not Revelation). You always have to be ready, because the end will come when you least expect it.

Again, I include our individual end of life in thinking about "the end" not just a broader "apocalypse". When we look at the end of the individual you can be certain that will be both relatively soon, and quite possibly totally unexpected.

But we don't like to think about that.

nbcrusader said:
Only the Lord knows the date.

i bet the lord shown you his new garden tools and invited you to his BBQ also :eyebrow:

There is only one person in this universe that matters and thats you.

vaz02 said:

Well that's certainly the message trumpeted in today's advertising and popular culture. And I'm embarrassed to admit my attitude as well for too much of my life.
I'm currently on chapter/day 39 of 40 in Rick Warren's THE PURPOSE DRIVEN LIFE. Interestingly, the book opens with this buzzkill;
(page 1, line 1)

It's not about you.

Anyway, I hope you find what you're looking for.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
He's just speaking like a typical 17 year old, there's a lot of growing up at that age.

we all have the power to change the course of our lives.

:wink:

My grandad is a firm believer in the power within ourselves. Dont tell me he has a lot of growing up to do at his age.

typical middle aged fart.

:|

vaz02 said:

My grandad is a firm believer in the power within ourselves. Dont tell me he has a lot of growing up to do at his age.

:|

There's a big difference in believing in the power within ourselves...

And this:

If your grandfather lived under a philosophy that he was the only person that mattered in this universe, you wouldn't be around.:|

BonoVoxSupastar said:

There's a big difference in believing in the power within ourselves...

And this:

If your grandfather lived under a philosophy that he was the only person that mattered in this universe, you wouldn't be around.:|

By that my grandad means , he does not believe in a heigher being such as a god who creates his destiny nor does this god have the power to change anything.

its like people believing in the toothfairy really lol.

vaz02 said:

By that my grandad means , he does not believe in a heigher being such as a god who creates his destiny nor does this god have the power to change anything.

I understand. That's just not what you said the first time.

vaz02 said:

its like people believing in the toothfairy really lol.

BUT, some may see your beliefs as being arrogant. :shrug:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I understand. That's just not what you said the first time.

BUT, some may see your beliefs as being arrogant. :shrug:

some may see your beliefs as naive or gullible.

am i the only who thinks out there in the universe is a huge alien with longs worm like arms and a massive brain who goes by the name of a word so long we can not process and a language so complexed we can not hear , in a planet so far away we can not dream.

Back
Top Bottom