It's the end of the world, guys...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nbcrusader said:
This thread is an excellent example of why we must consider all of Scripture, not just select portions. The companion to end times prophecy is the warning that it will happen at a time we do not know. Failed predictions (which in and of themselves run contrary to Scripture) do not invalidate prophecy.

We only have been given the warning signs and will know when it actually happens. Only the Lord knows the date.

Very well said. :up:

We're not going to know the time and date, so why care? There's another date that we should be more worried about that is coming in all of our life times -- the day we each die. (This would happen if the world ended too, obviously.) What happens after we die is what we should be focusing on.

That said, I've had a vision about the end of the world. I want to share it with you now. It's going to happen exactly like this:

http://www.jengajam.com/r/End-Of-The-World

Huge alien---CHECK
Long worm like arms---CHECK
Massive brain---CHECK
Lives on faraway planet---CHECK
Name so long we cannot process---NOPE, the one I know answers to the name Clyde.

INDY500 said:
Well, just to be serious for a moment.
In his letters to the Corinthians, Paul describes many gifts which God gives to members of the church. This gift may be wisdom, knowledge, faith, ability to heal others, ability to perform miracles, discernings of spirits, speaking in tongues, or interpretation of the words of a person speaking in tongues and prophecy. So someday, through the Holy Spirit, couldn't some prophet actually know "the date and the hour."
Would he be believed?

Actually, the spiritual gift of prophecy is more about the ability to reveal and speak about Scripture than anything else.

The thing is - we as Christians should always live as if Jesus was coming tomorrow - like a thief in the night - while also being open to the possibility He may not return for 10,000 years!

Either way - the story ends well my friends :)

AEON said:

Actually, the spiritual gift of prophecy is more about the ability to reveal and speak about Scripture than anything else.

After a little research I found this on a site. It backs up what you are saying.

"Prophecy is not prediction..

People sometimes think that "prophecy" means to predict (foretell) what will happen in the future. Actually, the simple gift of prophecy is essentially forthtelling; it is a ministry to make people better and more useful Christians now. Prophecy in the New Testament church carries no prediction with it whatsoever, for "he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort" (I Corinthians 14:3). Notice that there is no mention of the word prediction here."

Certainly corrects a general misconception of the biblical meaning of prophecy that I've held.

INDY500 said:

Certainly corrects a general misconception of the biblical meaning of prophecy that I've held.

Well, you are not completely wrong. Old Testament prophets paint quite a vivid picture, as well as John the Baptist in the NT. However, like you said, many people think of prophecy in terms of "predicting" instead of "exhorting" (i.e. encouraging).

The role of those with the gift is to teach and encourage believers into "Chrislikeness." A beautiful job if you think about it. All of these “doomsday” types that Melon pointed out are more of an embarrassment to the Christian community than anything else.

The compelling aspect of Christianity is living a life of hope, faith, and love. (The greatest being love, of course). Trying to scare people with the “End of the World as We Know It” (GREAT song!) diatribes is not the role of those gifted with prophecy.

Like I said earlier – Jesus may come tomorrow or not for another 10,000 years. Treat every day here on Earth as an opportunity to be God’s finger in touching someone’s heart. Do that until He comes – or you die. Either way is wondrous and beautiful!

AussieU2fanman said:
I seriously doubt anybody here has actually read the book of revelation, otherwise they wouldn't be standing by it with such conviction. For those of you who haven't....http://www.goldnuggetwebs.com/revelation/index.html

Have you even read this thread, man? Nobody's even talking about Revelation much less "standing by it."

If you want to free us religious believers of our"benighted ideas" this is not the way to do it.

AussieU2fanman said:
I seriously doubt anybody here has actually read the book of revelation, otherwise they wouldn't be standing by it with such conviction. For those of you who haven't....http://www.goldnuggetwebs.com/revelation/index.html

Not only have I read it several times, but I took a semester's course on it in College. Have you?

I fail to see what that has to do with this conversation. We weren' talking about any particular book of the Bible, we are talking about prophecy in general.

Actually, in 1 Thess. Paul specifically lectures against people who are quitting their jobs in preparation for the end of the world. His response can be summed up in a simple phrase: "Get back to work, ye lazy fools!"

Jesus seemed much more concerned with things like feeding the poor and caring for the sick than with going in the backyard and doing jumping exercises in preparation for the rapture.

nathan1977 said:
Actually, in 1 Thess. Paul specifically lectures against people who are quitting their jobs in preparation for the end of the world. His response can be summed up in a simple phrase: "Get back to work, ye lazy fools!"

I love it!

I was just reading this post on huffingtonpost.com by Deepak Chopra

"In a old post on the seduction of apocalyptic thinking, my emphasis was on fundamentalist Christians and others who feel enticed by the notion that the world will soon come to an end. But the tendency reaches deeper than that. Apocalyptic thinking is motivated, in large part, by an inability to come to grips with life's challenges, and one turns to metaphysics as an escape from lurking feelings of guilt, anxiety, and despair.

Without being religious, many liberals and progressives act as if their world has come to an end. That is, they see no solutions to a world sunk into chaos, reactionary religious backlash, and overwhelming difficulties.

There is an alternative to this sort of gloom and doom. We need to reshape our expectations by holding them higher, not lower. Certain points come to mind.

--In the past, people accepted disease, poverty, political corruption, war, and even urban pollution on a vaster scale than we do now. They were still able to conquer disease and find a way out of the other problems, if not perfectly, then progressively. That same impulse is alive today.

--What blocks a solution to such things as poverty and pandemic disease in the Third World isn't lack of knowledge but lack of will. We have the money and know-how to solve almost every challenge we face. Reactionaries may stand in the way, but if one looks deeper, even the most liberal thinkers are clinging to nationalism, post-colonial values, and other outmoded ideas, such as the inevitability of a world divided into haves and have-nots.

--The way to be optimistic again is to help foster the future. The best future would be one based on globalism and peace. Hundreds of organizations already work on behalf of both. There's no need for anyone to feel that isolationism, war, and nationalism are irreversible. They may not end in our time, but there's much value in helping the future to be born at any stage.

--Since the world isn't coming to an end, the realistic alternative is a personal choice--reactionary isolation or progressive cooperation. Once each of us sees this clearly, we can make a choice. To do nothing is the same as allowing apocalyptic thinking and right-wing interests to prevail, since both are aggressively active. The good news is that one doesn't have to think in terms of success or failure. Just to align yourself with the progressive impulse in life brings its own reward. And there is huge hope of success, because the dominant trend in the world is progressive, despite how things look in the U.S. right now. Technology is capable of solving the fuel crisis and global warming, or at least these two huge challenges can be met positively. There is no need to give in to passive resignation. What we are experiencing now is far form the end of the world. It's a transition time, full of ferment and conflict but just as full of promise."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom