It's A Beutiful Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dread:
right, all i've read about Bono / Kerry was:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/07/27/top.five.bono/
CNN: What do you think about Kerry?

BONO: He's very well briefed on these issues. [ AIDS] In 1999 he was the first guy, along with Sen. Bill Frist from Tennessee, to bring in the Global AIDS bill. He was banging the drum a long time ago. He knows what he's all about.

RocknRollKitty said:

Still all this garbage about 'hope' and 'dreams' and 'beautiful days' is beyond corny, especially when it's not even true;)

yeah, well I'll take it over the shit Bush has put us through, speaking of "when it's not even true."

Exactly. It always amazes me how working people continue to support a party that has done everything in their power to give money to the wealthy and corporations to the detriment of themselves.

Of course Bono wants to be non-partisan when headlining DATA, but remember who he'd rather tool around town and party with.

Dreadsox said:

My :huh: was at how important this seems to be...

Not to mention how it could possibly be plausible to read into what this might mean for Kerry/Bush/Bono? It's a song! Just a stupid song! I cant say this without sounding very patronising and hoity, but I reckon this even being a thread is kinda silly...I dont mean offence, but really, do people actually care anyway? Even if it did mean something?

!!!

There's folks starving in the world. Homeless people out tonight. This is just a song. Go outside and smile at a child. Pick a flower and be glad to be alive. Forget the stupid song!

:wink:

*smiles at child and demands child to tell who's side Bono is on*

How will I know who to vote for if I don't know whose side Bono is on? :angry:

Not that it matters or that I'm interested in arguing about this but I "think" the convention planners probably bought blanket permission from ASCAP, which would allow them to use most songs ASCAP has authority over...which includes most of U2's catalogue. Express permission is needed from ASCAP but not U2.

*I might not be 100 correct about that so don't hold me to it

And I must agree with angela harlem, et al that this is certainly not something I'm losing any sleep over nor do I look to Bono when I'm deciding who to vote for. I also don't think a SONG is going to do any damage to funding for Africa.

I have been locked in a room with children for the last ten years. Currently the cam I am running gives me ample time to smile.

This song stuff is important. Very important.:madspit:

Bono's American Wife said:
Not that it matters or that I'm interested in arguing about this but I "think" the convention planners probably bought blanket permission from ASCAP, which would allow them to use most songs ASCAP has authority over...which includes most of U2's catalogue.

Does this mean ASCAP supports Kerry???? Aaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!

:wink:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
It was a nice touch but I wasn't going, "Oh my god, so THIS is why I'm voting for Kerry!" What Bono thinks has no effect on the way I vote.

I can only imagine the chatter that's going on at the Bruce Springsteen forums right about now... :sexywink:

I was...the second I hear the song, I practically had a romantic moment with Kerry and then I said I am voting for him because its a Beautiful Day.

This is so important.:hyper:

Bono's American Wife said:
Not that it matters or that I'm interested in arguing about this but I "think" the convention planners probably bought blanket permission from ASCAP, which would allow them to use most songs ASCAP has authority over...which includes most of U2's catalogue. Express permission is needed from ASCAP but not U2.

*I might not be 100 correct about that so don't hold me to it

You're right, about not being 100% correct. U2 is a rare case, they own all of their music, lyrics, etc... and ultimately they have the ultimate decision.

If an organization started using a U2 song to represent themselves, and thus affiliated themselves with U2 by use of the song... and U2 did not support said organization... you can be sure that would come to an end quickly.

UnbeLIEvably not cool,

. said:

If an organization started using a U2 song to represent themselves, and thus affiliated themselves with U2 by use of the song... and U2 did not support said organization... you can be sure that would come to an end quickly.

I have always thought that was the case. Which means they are willing to have him use it.

I also do not believe anyone is saying that Bono would lose support for Africa over a "SONG", it is the whole idea of choosing up sides.

Bono may be playing on both sides of the fence lately... but that's purely to accomplish his very LARGE goal. The reality is that Kerry (and the Democratic party) is more a supporter (compared to Bush) of the things Bono (and U2) are interested in.

There is no such thing as a human being being completely unbiased.

he didn't
as long as the democratic party pays the same kind of fee/whatever that radio stations pay they can play every song they want

they could play the entire "artists against bush" catalogue if they had a couple of more days

this entire thread makes me wish I had more beer in the fridge :up:

BluberryPoptart said:
I also do not believe anyone is saying that Bono would lose support for Africa over a "SONG", it is the whole idea of choosing up sides.

A few people made a point of saying that by allowing the use of a U2 song at the convention, Bono was choosing sides, thus jeopardizing support for AIDS funding. So yes, the use of a song was brought into this argument.

I am wondering if hearing "Beautiful Day" last night will inspire anyone to buy this song off iTunes. Perhaps more casual fans will say, "Oh, yeah, I always liked this song!" and decide they want it on their iPod or other mp3 player.

I know I'm probably going to buy "Dreams" by Van Halen if it's available on iTunes, because now I identify it with an event that I really enjoyed watching--and it's been running through my head all day!!!

ThatGuy said:

:up: full stop

Wait, I was incredibly wrong. I'm a human being and I'm incredibly unbiased....

or I will be when I'm six feet under. ;)

I went to a Spurs game this past season and they played Elevation during one of the timeouts, but then I went to a Mavericks game and they played Desire:scratch:, does that mean U2 supports both teams? Hell, what would they do when they played each other? This is just wrong!:wink:

I repeat, you do not need permission from U2, any of the members of U2, Paul McGuinness, Larry's cousin, any of the roadies, or any of Bono's alter egos to play a song unless you put it in a commerical, movie, or anything designed to make a profit. Do you think every sporting team, nightclub, or radio station has to ask the permission of the band to play one of their songs?

Back
Top Bottom