It says "world events", so... Lord Of The Rings, The Return Of The King (thougths)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepokiss

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
It says "world events", so... Lord Of The Rings, The Return Of The King (thougths)

I saw this movie last night, and let me tell you...

:drool:

It was AMAZING

- The fights, awesome. You can't help but thinking that they are going to lose... to many orcs
- The Spider is like the scariest thing to ever be on a screen (well, besides the clown form "IT").
- You really get to hate Gollum in this one, not like in the last one when you feel close to him/it.
- Arwen... just too damm beautiful.
- Hugo Weaving... when ever he appeared on screen, all I could think of was... GOOD MORNING, MR. ANDERSON...
- Legolas absolutely ROCKS... remember the horse-mounting thing in The 2 Towers???... well, what he does in this movie in the elephants secuence is AMAZINGLY AWESOME. It got double applause in less that 2 minutes.
- Pipin is really close to stealing this movie, amazing in all he does, especially by the end.
- Merry also is great with being the comedy relief in this one.
- Gimli (the dworf) is a master of comedy, everything the caracter does is hillarious (for example: the "give Frodo a chance" scene, the forest scene and the death-counting battle).
- Aragorn... I wish he was king of the world (that came up a little gay, but who cares). Great, as always.
- Gandalf, well, Sir Ian McKellan has done it again. I wish I could have a friend like that... and he moves really fast despite the fact he looks like a hundred years old... :wink:
- Frodo... too much bumping and dizziness, but he pulls it off by the last hour of the movie.

And we come down to this...

SAM - SEAN ASTIN

Aragorn stole the movie in FELLOWSHIP, Gollum in THE 2 TOWERS. Well, Sean steals this movie by far. The best acting of the whole movie. He overshadowed (is that a word?) Elijah Wood, and in my eyes, Sam had more to be a hero than Frodo.
Mark my words: Sean Astin SHOULD, MUST, WILL WIN THE OSCAR FOR BEST SUPORTING ACTOR (hell, maybe LEAD ACTOR, but that's maybe too much). The scene when they are outside the volcano in Mordor is trully epic. ("Maybe I can't carry the ring... BUT I CAN CARRY YOU!!!"). If I were more sensitive... I could have cried... really.
The only down side was too much "MR. Frodo" stuff... I mean, they are equals, they're both Hobbits. Well, you understand.

GO SEE THIS MOVIE, THE ONE THAT MUST SWEEP IN THE OSCARS IF THERE WAS ANY AMOUNT OF JUSTICE IN THIS WORLD. AT LEAST BEST MOVIE, DIRECTOR,SUPORTING ACTOR AND SPECIAL EFECTS.

"This is a swords day, a red day... DEATH !!!!!"

PEPO
LADY WITH THE SPINNING HEAD (EDM) and LUMINOUS TIMES (HOLD ON TO LOVE) FAN CLUB PRESIDENT (join... now... for Survivor).

PD: Remember: SEAN AUSTIN SHOULD, MUST, WILL WIN BEST SUPORTING ACTOR IN THE OSCARS

This belongs in "Lemonade Stand."

This movie is not spectacular, nor does it deserve to be called amongst the best films of all time. It is a straightforward Hollywood blockbuster film, in a similar vein to the "Star Wars" saga. There is really nothing wrong with that; "Star Wars" is certainly a memorable crowd pleaser, but it is still even to be determined as to whether these films will be remembered in 20 years like "Star Wars" or "The Godfather," or it will be yet just another polished trilogy to placate our immediate sense of instant gratification.

I tend to believe that this will turn into another "Star Trek"--a trilogy of films that are remembered and held in high esteem by a group of cult fans, while the rest shake their heads in response.

But, yes, it will win a lot of awards. Awards ceremonies know well enough to grant lots of awards to films that make the industry a lot of money.

Melon

Last edited:
I just say this one is better...

And I don't think you have seen this one.

No third part of a movie has been ever superior than the 2 before... except this one. (Remember return of the Jedi?, It couldn't top Empire Strikes Back.)

Move this to Lemonade Stand, I don't know where it should be :(

melon said:
or it will be yet just another polished trilogy to placate our immediate sense of instant gratification.

Instant gratification? Some of us have been waiting 40 years. :wink:

melon said:

But, yes, it will win a lot of awards. Awards ceremonies know well enough to grant lots of awards to films that make the industry a lot of money.

Melon

Yes... like The Pianist....

Or Spiderman......

joyfulgirl- I'm just :hyper: full of anticipation!

And yeah I've waited about 38 yrs or so.

To say this is all so much pffiffle....well....

The ensemble acting has been magnificant. The special efects of this calibre were needed to bring the epic nature of the story to life without sacreficing the emotional nuances and growth/ deterioration of the characters.

the artisan craftsmanship of the production was a wonder & joy to behold.

And finally as JRRT did himself, PJ made the Landscape a very vivid, changing character!

Kudos to PJ and the actors, designer &production staff etc

And KUDOS for taking the amazing chance of letting PJ do all three films in one continuous swoopo, thus really preserving it's integrety in many ways.

My sib whoes a big movie/film person yrs ago said to me --understand, that when they make a movie from a book , there are going to be changes for alll various reasons.

So I wasn't upset with the changes, I really liked a bunch of them!

and the NY Film Critics Circle, a group KNOWN for rarely prasing Hollywood films just voted ROTK Best Picture! Woo hoo! :yes: :D

I thought it was just amazing. It was one of the best movie's I've ever seen, if you judge by how a movie transports you. Of course, as I was taking about with my friends with whom I went to see it, a lot of Jackson's work was done for him by the sheer genius of Tolkein! :bow: I was experiencing emotion from the book all through. Here's what really amazed me about this movie; I've read the books, read 'em twice, read favorite scenes like a dozen times. And I was still catching my breath, eyes wide, sqeezing the arm rests next to my seat. I was honestly *scared* for Frodo and Sam, and for Merry and Pippin, who finally get to be something other than funny. That, my friends, is a successful movie.

Legolas remains the lovely, arrow-flinging wonder that he has always been. Eowyen was a goddess. I'd been waiting and waiting for her to get to where she kills the Nasgul who the prophesy said no man could kill: girlfriend takes her head armor off, shakes out her long blonde hair and hisses, "I am no man." Then she drives her sword into him! YEAH! The audience bust into applause! And Aragorn? Where do I even begin?? Mortenson's acting is so seamless and graceful and grave that he just makes you yearn for his character to be real! His King was wise and gentle and fierce and full of honor! I love him especially in the Way of the Dead, commanding the army to come with him :heart: And DAMN how about that kiss he planted on Arywen at their wedding? :combust: ;)

I have my quibbles. It was long, yet not long enough. No Songs of Hope from Sam? No Sourging of the Shire? No Houses of Healing? :( But generally, I adored it, and thank Peter Jackson for his labor of love.

Sherry

I loved it..and I agree Sherry, I wanted to be Eowyn in that scene..haha :heart:

And this thread probably does belong here, because I'm sure someone could somehow make a Bush, United States, or Iraq analogy :D

melon said:

This movie is not spectacular, nor does it deserve to be called amongst the best films of all time. It is a straightforward Hollywood blockbuster film, in a similar vein to the "Star Wars" saga. There is really nothing wrong with that; "Star Wars" is certainly a memorable crowd pleaser, but it is still even to be determined as to whether these films will be remembered in 20 years like "Star Wars" or "The Godfather," or it will be yet just another polished trilogy to placate our immediate sense of instant gratification.

I tend to believe that this will turn into another "Star Trek"--a trilogy of films that are remembered and held in high esteem by a group of cult fans, while the rest shake their heads in response.

Melon

Ah yes, another resentful Star Wars fan..... :wink:

I saw it last night and absolutely loved it. In the 3 1/2 hours I was in the theater I was transported to Middle Earth, and though there were some things I thought a were a bit cheesy (the slow motion effect when Pippin grabs hold of the Plantier (sp?) for example), overall I found it very enjoyable and quite moving.

i just bought the "vanity fair" with viggo mortenson (spelling?!?!) on the cover. :drool: :drool: never thought i'd be attracted to him until lord of the rings. ROTK was AWEEEEEEEEEESOME. LOVED it. the entire cast should win awards.

maude said:
Ah yes, another resentful Star Wars fan..... :wink:

Actually, I downright hate "Star Wars." I can, at least, sit through LOTR without falling asleep.

Melon

i just got bounced out for too long a post in the regular post page to commnnet here [either by time or character count

my net place is about to close:grumpy:

so let me say quickly how superb ROTK was for the reasons I meetioned earlier post for the first two....only MORE so :happy: !
wiill be back,another day w more

Back
Top Bottom