Isn't Lent About Forgiveness?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lemonite

I'm a chauvinist leprechaun
I open this thread for recantations on misguided Anti-War Beliefs, Mis-Informed Opinions, and Dare I Say it.. A Bit of Credit for George W. Bush and his steadfast resolve to rid Iraq of WMD and the Liberation of a Grateful Nation.

Just trying to provide a bit of respectability and accountability for views here in Interference,

Mr. Pink

As a practicing Roman Catholic I think I can give a decent answer to this question. Properly speaking Lent is all about penance. It's a simple acknowledgement that you've done things that are wrong, and you know it. OK, you want to be forgiven for your sins. But what do you feel like you've done that's a sin? How do you define sin? A violation of one of the Ten Commandments? One of the traditional seven cardinal sins? That would be greed, or gluttony, or adultery, or........damn, I don't know this particular list of sins because it's not the way I was taught. Personally I have never had a standard list of sins, I just confess stuff that I feel like has gotten between me and God. That's how I was taught to confess, and politics has never been directly involved. Maybe I hated Jerk Lawmaker X too much. It depends on who you support and who you don't. Although I'm not a Bush supporter I don't hate the guy. It's not personal with me. I disagree with some of his policies. I'll have to see how successful this war is in terms of goals, actually getting Saddam the hell out of power, something the first Iraqi war didn't do, and giving Iraq a democratic state. Neither one of these goals has been accomplished yet. If they get rid of Saddam and the Iraqi people are genuinely happy about it, great. If they get to choose their own leaders with clean, honest, democratic elections, great. None of this has happened yet. Will it? We'll see. It's the uncertainty of the whole thing that some of us are either nervous or confused about or both. In other words, will the closure of this action bring the desired results? I hope so but there's no guarantee that it will just yet.

well, they have to actually get him out first, and then actually hold an election in order for that to happen.
but it's hard to hold an election when your trying to get rid of the regime that would certainly murder anyone who would vote against them.

Of course it's impossible to hold an election with a dictator in the capital. Forget that. What are you going to do with the government in the absense of the dictator? Will the leader be democratically elected? Not without elections, and not without a choice of parties and candidates. Will this indeed happen? Not if the U.S. runs the country "for" Iraqis. This would be "occupation" not "liberation". It would also be a massive screw-up. The Iraqis want an Iraqi government, not an American government. Democracy in Iraq is not simply the absense of Saddam Hussein. It's the presence of an honestly elected government. Presumably this would involve at least a parliament of elected officials and either a prime minister from the biggest party in parliament or a president elected by all of the people. The Iraqi people shouldn't have to please U.S. officials. They have to please themselves.

I have a priest, Lemonite.

I don't need you to tell me--or any of us--what we should be sorry about.

Although now that you mention it, does this mean that now you'll apologize to Lilly for all the shit you've given her? I mean, while we're all apologizing...

:|

paxetaurora said:
I have a priest, Lemonite.

I don't need you to tell me--or any of us--what we should be sorry about.

Although now that you mention it, does this mean that now you'll apologize to Lilly for all the shit you've given her? I mean, while we're all apologizing...

:|

So do I. This is between God, my priest, and me. The good priest isn't going to judge who I voted for in the last elections. Rather, God will judge me, ultimately.

nbcrusader said:
Jesus Christ is my great High Priest.

Me too. That's Who's going to judge me. Any human being *including* a priest is not qualified to judge me. However a priest can absolve me of being in the *state* of sin, of separation from God. He can't tell me exactly what my sins are however. Only God can do that. I daresay no political figures can tell me what my sins are either.

Ho boy. Right, so now people are supposed to say sorry to YOU, Lemonite?

When will someone have this walking piece of shit banned for good?

Back
Top Bottom