Isn't everyone a hypocrite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

indra

ONE love, blood, life
Main Entry: hyp·o·crite
Pronunciation: 'hi-p&-"krit
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English ypocrite, from Old French, from Late Latin hypocrita, from Greek hypokritEs actor, hypocrite, from hypokrinesthai
Date: 13th century
: a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion

Main Entry: vir·tue
Pronunciation: 'v&r-(")chü
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English virtu, from Old French, from Latin virtut-, virtus strength, manliness, virtue, from vir man —more at VIRILE
Date: 13th century
1 a : conformity to a standard of right : MORALITY b : a particular moral excellence
2 : plural : an order of angels — see CELESTIAL HIERARCHY
3 : a beneficial quality or power of a thing
4 : manly strength or courage : VALOR
5 : a commendable quality or trait : MERIT
6 : a capacity to act : POTENCY
7 : chastity especially in a woman

Think about it. Doesn't everyone inflate their good qualities (or make up a few, if the need arises)?

I think everyone is a bit hypocritical at times -- even *** gasp!!! *** me!!! I know, I know, you're all shocked and horrified to find that out, but sadly, it's true. I am not quite the perfect person you've all come to know and adore. ;) I realize that I have shattered your innocence with this admission, but sometimes the most important lessons in life are painful. :sad:

Actually I posted this because it's very easy to call others hypocritical (as they are), but when I thought about it, I came to the conclusion that we all are hypocrites at times. Now, it's true most of us don't fall into, say the Rush "All Drug Users Should Go To Jail, Except Me Because My Case Is Different" Limbaugh catagory, but we all do it to some degree. Well, at least I think we all do. :shrug:

Yes. I'm always screwing up. It's more like I'm an idealist who has certain ideals and falls way short of them because I'm a very imperfect being.

:up:

i was thinking this exact thought yesterday afternoon.

no matter how hard we try to stick to our principles, we humans are emotionally driven and often unpredictable. try as you will, it's impossible not to be a hypocrite on a regular basis, despite our best intentions.

indra said:

Think about it. Doesn't everyone inflate their good qualities (or make up a few, if the need arises)?

I think everyone is a bit hypocritical at times -- even *** gasp!!! *** me!!! I know, I know, you're all shocked and horrified to find that out, but sadly, it's true. I am not quite the perfect person you've all come to know and adore. ;) I realize that I have shattered your innocence with this admission, but sometimes the most important lessons in life are painful. :sad:

There's a HUGE difference between inflating your good qualities, and denying you have any bad qualities.

The hypocrite based on the difintion you posted is the one denying they are imperfect.

So, no, I for one am NOT a hypocrite based upon the definition you posted.

I may have done hypocritical things in the past, but that is not my, or anyone's elses defining characteristic as far as I know. Not even Rush Limbaugh's, as much as I despise him.

I don't think indra is saying everyone's character is defined by hypocrisy, rather that everyone acts in a hypocritical way (puts on a false appearance of commendable qualities) from time to time.

I, for one, totally agree. I know I'm that way.
Some people say hypocrisy is a religion thing. I believe it to be a human thing.

Spiral_Staircase said:
I don't think indra is saying everyone's character is defined by hypocrisy, rather that everyone acts in a hypocritical way (puts on a false appearance of commendable qualities) from time to time.

I, for one, totally agree. I know I'm that way.
Some people say hypocrisy is a religion thing. I believe it to be a human thing.

Indra's title thread: "Isn't everyone a hypocrite ?"

Not: "Has everyone occasionally acted in a hypocritical fashion?"

heh...good point, cardosino. :)

However misleading the title may be, I was just going off the content of indra's original post. I don't think she/he (sorry, indra, I don't know you) was saying your defining characteristic is hypocrisy, but I could be wrong.

cardosino said:

Indra's title thread: "Isn't everyone a hypocrite ?"

Not: "Has everyone occasionally acted in a hypocritical fashion?"

I'll stand by the title. It is not "Isn't everyone always a hypocrite?" which is how you are reading it. If you act in a hypocritical fashion (even only occasionally), you are, at that time, a hypocrite. So although you are not always a hypocrite, you are at times a hypocrite, and to claim you aren't makes you...well...you know. :wink:

And I'll also maintain that Rush Limbaugh is a good example of a hypocrite. (and an asshole)

indra said:

I'll stand by the title. It is not "Isn't everyone always a hypocrite?" which is how you are reading it. If you act in a hypocritical fashion (even only occasionally), you are, at that time, a hypocrite. So although you are not always a hypocrite, you are at times a hypocrite, and to claim you aren't makes you...well...you know. :wink:

And I'll also maintain that Rush Limbaugh is a good example of a hypocrite. (and an asshole)

I stand by what I said also. You did NOT qualify it by putting "occasionally" in your thread. By not doing so, I have to answer no, I am not.

There's a question of "tense" which quite frankly I don't think you quite grasp either.

cardosino said:

I stand by what I said also. You did NOT qualify it by putting "occasionally" in your thread. By not doing so, I have to answer no, I am not.

There's a question of "tense" which quite frankly I don't think you quite grasp either.

Wow. You really are a special one aren't you? :eyebrow:

And I'm actually quite relaxed, thank you very much. :D

I think it's more accurate and fair to say "no one is perfect". It's true, and there's nothing we can do about the fact that human beings are imperfect. We just have to accept it, which can be very hard.

Back
Top Bottom