Is this enough for impeachment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
Apparently....

The Bush Administration went beyond the scope of the Patriot Act. I suppoerted the Patriot Act in this forum because I believed they would stay within the warrent process. If this is true and the White House did violate this portion of the law, I would entertain the thought of impeachment.

I am as of today writing my Congressman and Senators asking them to oppose the Patriot Act II next week. I cannot believe that they will not again move beyond the scope of the law.

I am disappointed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/15/p...&ex=1135314000&partner=MYWAY&pagewanted=print

I just have to wonder, what is the point of fighting terror if by doing so we are just going to destroy our own freedoms?
Of course I don't believe that the only way to fight terror is to spy on American emails

That is a gross violation of peoples right to privacy and just goes to show the flipside of electronic communications - everything can be tracked very easily.

if this is why Bush did it..

"effort to track possible "dirty numbers" linked to Al Qaeda"

than no.
And most Americans would concur with this answer.

db9

diamond said:

than no.

In the words of those who impeached Clinton over frivolous things:

"It doesn't matter. He broke the law."

Melon

What do you think they´re doing at the NSA all the year.

Bush is not going to be impeached even if he continues to break the law. He already broke international law on multiple occasions. I remember the tapping of Kofi Annan´s phone, for example.

Dreadsox, I hope it does not hurt your noble heart (and yes, I think it is noble to write to Congressmen against P II) too much when I repeat that Bush is a criminal. That´s how you call people who break the law.

Last edited:
diamond said:

than no.

db9

He has the restrictions put in place by the Patriot Act to abide by. If this is true, he is in violation of the law. The restrictions were put in the law for a reason.

There should be an investigation and the new legislation should die.

impeach!!! impeach!!!

heard of a sign yesterday ... or maybe it was in Mrs. S's journal ... can't remember ... but it said, "Will someone please give that man a blow job so we can impeach him?"

34556%3C7523232%7Ffp336%3Enu%3D3235%3E77%3A%3E43%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D323333%3A935499nu0mrj

In addition to that, Bob Novak was quoted this week saying he believes the president knows who leaked Valerie Plame's name and won't fire that person [i.e. Rove although Novak didn't say that]. You support torture, which breaks international treaties, you allow wire taping, which violates U.S. law, you allow someone to blow the cover of a spy, which breaks SOOOO many laws and puts lives at risk, and you're still in office.

And yet, Clinton was impeached for a blow job? A BLOW JOB? Ha, we really should be calling Bush the Teflon President. NOTHING sticks to that guy.

I am surprised that anyone is surprised that Bush would do something like this. I'm actually shocked.

diamond said:

than no.

db9

You don't know what you are talking about.

I don't know how valid this is but this is on Drudge Report

NYT 'SPYING' SPLASH TIED TO BOOK RELEASE
Fri Dec 16 200 11:27:16 ET

**Exclusive**

Newspaper fails to inform readers "news break" is tied to book publication

On the front page of today's NEW YORK TIMES, national security reporter James Risen claims that "months after the September 11 attacks, President Bush secretly authorized the National Security Agency to eavesdrop on Americans and others inside the United States... without the court approved warrants ordinarily required for domestic spying, according to government officials."

Risen claims the White House asked the paper not to publish the article, saying that it could jeopardize continuing investigations and alert would-be terrorists that they might be under scrutiny.

Risen claims the TIMES delayed publication of the article for a year to conduct additional reporting.

But now comes word James Risen's article is only one of many "explosive newsbreaking" stories that can be found -- in his upcoming book -- which he turned in 3 months ago!

The paper failed to reveal the urgent story was tied to a book release and sale.

"STATE OF WAR: The Secret History of the CIA and the Bush Administration" is to be published by FREE PRESS in the coming weeks, sources tell the DRUDGE REPORT.

Carisa Hays, VP, Director of Publicity FREE PRESS, confirms the book is being published.

The book editor of Bush critic Richard Clarke [AGAINST ALL ENEMIES] signed Risen to FREE PRESS.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10488458/

NEW YORK - President Bush refused to say whether the National Security Agency eavesdropped without warrants on people inside the United States but leaders of Congress condemned the practice on Friday and promised to look into what the administration has done.

“There is no doubt that this is inappropriate,” said Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee. He said there would be hearings early next year and that they would have “a very, very high priority.”

He wasn’t alone in reacting harshly to the report. Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., said the story, first reported in Friday’s New York Times, was troubling.

Bush said in an interview that “we do not discuss ongoing intelligence operations to protect the country. And the reason why is that there’s an enemy that lurks, that would like to know exactly what we’re trying to do to stop them.

“I will make this point,” he continued. “That whatever I do to protect the American people — and I have an obligation to do so — that we will uphold the law, and decisions made are made understanding we have an obligation to protect the civil liberties of the American people.”

The president spoke in an interview to be aired Friday evening on “The Newshour with Jim Lehrer.”

MrsSpringsteen said:
I don't know how valid this is but this is on Drudge Report

NYT 'SPYING' SPLASH TIED TO BOOK RELEASE
Fri Dec 16 200 11:27:16 ET

Apparently, Drudge can't read. Not that this make it any better, but this comes DIRECTLY from the Times story on the issue.

"The White House asked The New York Times not to publish this article, arguing that it could jeopardize continuing investigations and alert would-be terrorists that they might be under scrutiny. After meeting with senior administration officials to hear their concerns, the newspaper delayed publication for a year to conduct additional reporting. Some information that administration officials argued could be useful to terrorists has been omitted. "

link

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10479445/from/RS.4/

NBC News said the (Pentagon) database lists a meeting in 2004 of The Truth Project in Lake Worth, Fla., where activists planned a protest of military recruiting at local high schools. It listed the meeting as a “threat” and one of more than 1,500 “suspicious incidents” across the country over a recent 10-month period.

The NBC report also said the database includes nearly four dozen anti-war meetings or protests, including some that have taken place far from any military installation or recruitment center.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10454316/

A year ago, at a Quaker Meeting House in Lake Worth, Fla., a small group of activists met to plan a protest of military recruiting at local high schools. What they didn't know was that their meeting had come to the attention of the U.S. military.

A secret 400-page Defense Department document obtained by NBC News lists the Lake Worth meeting as a “threat” and one of more than 1,500 “suspicious incidents” across the country over a recent 10-month period.

“This peaceful, educationally oriented group being a threat is incredible,” says Evy Grachow, a member of the Florida group called The Truth Project.

“This is incredible,” adds group member Rich Hersh. “It's an example of paranoia by our government,” he says. “We're not doing anything illegal.”

Last edited:
Irvine511 said:

:applaud:

Parallels? Hmm...let's see. Vietnam? Getting rid of lots of people in your cabinet/inner circle? Spying on people who don't agree with you in the name of "national security?"

"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it."--George Santayana

That's the danger when you give more powers. It is a shorter step to go beyond them. Who would you really trust to have that much unchecked power unchecked? And they want fewer and fewer checks on that power.

What are the chances of me being severely affected by the Patriot Act? Neglibile. What are the chances of it being used against a political opponent or any opponent for that matter? Frighteningly high. Whoever has the power. What an insidious tool to give someone.

I've made no decision as to whether this is true or not. I don't have enough information yet. I think impeachment should not ever be used except under the gravest of circumstances. Up to this point, in spite of my antipathy toward him, I have not thought we had firm evidence to impeach. But if this is as it sounds...yeah, it's impeachable. The words President Cheney chill the fuck out of me though.

But it's not going to happen. The House is going to stay Republican and this House is one big blowjob everyday for the President.

Back
Top Bottom