Is there room for sexuality in children´s books?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AEON said:

I do think it may be unfortunately to think so - but I would honestly not trust my son to be mentored by a homosexual man.

would you have your daugther mentored by a straight man?

i think it's neat that Dumbledore is gay, even though i haven't read a single book or read a movie.

why wouldn't there be gay wizards? and is it really all that shocking that there's a gay male teacher? there are lots of those out there, and many gay people can and do become wonderful role models and mentors because they often don't have children, so teaching (and coaching, and even, dare i say it, leading Scouts) is a great way for them to channel their parental instincts.

it does take a village.

AEON said:

I do think it may be unfortunately to think so - but I would honestly not trust my son to be mentored by a homosexual man.

you wouldn't trust your son?

wow. you think your son is going to try to put the moves on an older man?

AEON said:

why is it that people who have the most conservative attitudes towards sexuality see it as a threat in nearly every single situation?

AEON, if you wanted your son to have a good swim instructor, you'd be hard pressed to find a better one than me.

but i guess that doesn't matter. you'd be all uncomfortable with us in swimsuits and stuff.

(this stuff hurts my heart, it really does)

at least is goes both ways, at the end of the day you do what's best for your child in your opinion so I can definiteley respect that

Irvine511 said:

you wouldn't trust your son?

wow. you think your son is going to try to put the moves on an older man?

I don't think it is a good idea for anyone to be mentored by an older person that may have a sexual motive in the relationship and is in a position to take advantage of their leadership role in the relationship. (male/female/gay/straight)

AEON said:

I don't think it is a good idea for anyone to be mentored by an older person that may have a sexual motive in the relationship and is in a position to take advantage of their leadership role in the relationship. (male/female/gay/straight)

well, that settles it. children shouldn't interact with any other adults other than their parents or family members (leaving alone the fact that the vast majority of children who are sexually abuse are girls who suffer at the hands of an older HETEROSEXUAL male relative).

//edited//

(by stating the obvious, i stoop to their level)

Last edited:
AEON said:

That could be anyone. So you just don't want mentors.

Why is it conservatives live in so much fear?

Irvine511 said:

AEON, if you wanted your son to have a good swim instructor, you'd be hard pressed to find a better one than me.

There is a difference between being a swim instructor and being an actual mentor. By a mentor I am assuming the person would actually spend one on one time, be involved in life decisions (because Dad can't have all the answers - we look outside of the family for verification sometimes)...in a way a Youth Pastor does.

I would not take my son out of a class because the instructor or teacher is openly gay.

Would we think the same about Yoda and Luke if we found out Yoda way gay? I think it would change the dynamic and perhaps add sexual tension for Yoda instead of him simply being frustrated that Luke is a whiner and an impatient learner.

AEON said:

What's sexual about these situations?

AEON said:

Would we think the same about Yoda and Luke if we found out Yoda way gay? I think it would change the dynamic and perhaps add sexual tension for Yoda instead of him simply being frustrated that Luke is a whiner and an impatient learner.

only someone who gave a rat's ass about sexual orientation would view this relationship in another way.

so, should my mentors ONLY be straight women? is that what you're saying?

only a paranoid straight man who thinks that he's being peeped at in the showers is going to worry about such things.

you've really got to get out there and meet some gay people, AEON.

Irvine511 said:

only someone who gave a rat's ass about sexual orientation would view this relationship in another way.

So, you are saying if Yoda was gay then it wouldn't change the relationship between he and Luke?

Oh that's right, straight men never care about straight women unless there's sexuality involved. It's only gay men with other men. Riiiiiiiight... :rolleyes:

AEON said:

You are really hellbent on this idea that people can't keep it in their pants aren't you? Very telling.

I'm not attracted to every girl I come in contact with, in fact I have many very close friends who are female who I've never even had a sexual thought about. You obviously have never had this, that's too bad.

I'm not attracted to every girl, and I'm never attracted to minors. Maybe that's just me.

BrownEyedBoy said:
With this new information Dumbledore´s affection for Harry has just turned creepy.

Ok, I know I'm late to this thread, but this is one of the most INSULTING THINGS I'VE EVER READ ON INTERFERENCE!

HOMOSEXUALS ARE NOT PEDOPHILES!!!

Psychological study after study has shown that the group with the highest percentage of pedophelia and recidivism are HETEROSEXUAL MALES!

And to suggest that just because a man is gay and has a close relationship with a young boy, that there is some sort of homosexual desire or agenda going on, well . . . that goes BEYOND IGNORANCE!

The only people who are thinking about sex, sexual connotations or whatever 24/7 I've stumbled upon were always conservatives.
Anyone else wouldn't care for a second, but they would make sure to point out that there is sex invlolved and this book/movie... has to be censored or better burnt immediately.

In my opinion it's even better to bring up hetero- and homosexuality in children's books. They don't think about sex at all, but those stories help to develop some tolerance for gay people with children.
And neither gays nor heteros are sexually attracted to anyone they deal with. That's, again, some very conservative fear and I don't know why.

Why do we have to "sexualize" our children at such a young age these days?

Why can't they climb trees, play house and make arts and crafts instead of having to learn the complexities of human sexuality at such a young age?

I say let kids be kids, no need to hurry their understanding of adulthood at too young an age.

dbs

Define sexualize.

The thread starter seemed to define it as mentoring. But only if the mentor is gay.

diamond said:
Why do we have to "sexualize" our children at such a young age these days?

Why can't they climb trees, play house and make arts and crafts instead of having to learn the complexities of human sexuality at such a young age?

Who's advocating that we have them learn the complexities of human sexuality? :huh:

I haven't seen one person in here advocate that.

That's all part of their environment. And besides climbin trees, playing house and making arts and crafts they like to read a nice book.
This book carries complex stories they are eager to discover, and there is no real talking about sexuality when you just mention what is going on in life: Men love women, women men, men men, and women women.
Not more, not less. And children don't care about anything more, that doesn't even get to their mind.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

You've got to be kidding. :huh: The thread was is there room for sexuality in children's books. And this was based on the fact that a character was just mentioned to be gay. So a man and a woman can have a romantic kiss or dance, but you can't even mention someone is gay?! That's the point!!!

It's a double standard fueled by hate.

Have you read Sleeping Beauty? He didn't just give her a friendly we've known each other for years peck on the cheek.

I have read Sleeping Beauty, the version we use is a compilation of many stories from different countries. These stories have themes that I don't want my four year old cousin exposed to. Right now she thinks the Prince woke her up with a kiss on the cheek. She's happy with that.

A child's age should also determine the level of exposure to adult themes and situations. The age group of the average Potter reader has the life experiences to understand what it means if a character is gay.

And the mentoring question...I've has a few adults as mentors in my life and I learned from each. Were they gay? I don't know, nor do I much care actually, it had nothing to do with them as teacher and myself as learner.

lynnok said:

I have read Sleeping Beauty, the version we use is a compilation of many stories from different countries. These stories have themes that I don't want my four year old cousin exposed to. Right now she thinks the Prince woke her up with a kiss on the cheek. She's happy with that.
Do you close her eyes when people kiss on the street? Do mommy and daddy only kiss behind closed doors? I'm sorry but I find this to be ridiculous.

lynnok said:

The age group of the average Potter reader has the life experiences to understand what it means if a character is gay.
So, who cares? Why do you care if they understand that or not?

lynnok said:

And the mentoring question...I've has a few adults as mentors in my life and I learned from each. Were they gay? I don't know, nor do I much care actually, it had nothing to do with them as teacher and myself as learner.
I'm glad you understand this.

AEON said:
By a mentor I am assuming the person would actually spend one on one time, be involved in life decisions (because Dad can't have all the answers - we look outside of the family for verification sometimes)...in a way a Youth Pastor does.

I would not take my son out of a class because the instructor or teacher is openly gay.
I am not really familiar with who youth pastors usually are--are you saying you would insist your church have both straight female and straight male youth pastors, so that your daughter and son both have someone who wouldn't "have a sexual motive" to talk to?

It may be a bit beside the point, but I also think this assumes more parental control over who your children might choose as mentors than actually exists. Sure, your son might see his (straight male) youth pastor as someone he'd want to discuss "life decisions" with, but then again he might prefer a favorite teacher or coach from school for that. At my high school the two most popular 'mentor figures' were a (female, straight) English teacher and a (male, not-sure-since-I-never-knew-him) basketball and debate team coach. Kids of all genders, races and clique types looked up to both of them and would drop by their rooms after school or during lunch period to talk with them about all kinds of things. I knew a few straight boys who talked to the English teacher about their romantic relationships (I don't mean she gave them sex tips, I mean the sort of thing where she might say "I think you're both very young to be getting this serious about each other and spending so much time together to the exclusion of other friends" and so on). I'm sure some guys might've been uncomfortable with that, but plenty of them weren't. :shrug: Yes, sometimes adults in authority positions do violate that trust, but you can't go through life assuming the worst about authority figures based merely on their gender, sexual orientation, race, whatever.

Last edited:
I highly doubt that any kid who has read Harry Potter gives a rat's ass that this character is gay. My hunch is that they are intelligent kids and many of them know about homosexuality already, and can handle it very well (if there's anything to actually handle). It is healthy, they will eventually have to live and work with and get along with gay people. There are straight messages and straight characters all over literature. They didn't start worshipping Satan as a result of these books either.

Daniel Radcliffe was nude in the play Equus-and guess what, kids survived it! They weren't scarred for life.

And if I had a son I might prefer that he was mentored by a gay man than a straight woman, given the news stories about some women in their 20's, 30's, and 40's getting sexually involved with boys. I think it is very sad that some people think gay men go around preying on children. I would be careful with my kids based upon what kind of person someone is, not their sexual orientation.

Last edited:
Excellent post, MrsSpringsteen :up:. I dunno, I guess I've always figured that since not all heterosexual people act the exact same way, simple logic would dictate that the same would hold true for homosexuals :shrug:.

Not to mention, regarding kids and whether or not they should have to deal with sex in their everyday lives, well, I dunno, when a child sees their heterosexual parent going out with their 50th boyfriend or are living with their third stepmother or whatever, I fail to see how a character in a book is really gonna affect them any more.

Irvine511 said:
(this stuff hurts my heart, it really does)

You're not the only one. It's just so...arrrrrrgh. When the character's sexual orienation wasn't known, none of you were bothered, but now that it is, all of a sudden it's a big deal? Come on now. If he were straight, would those of you who have issues with this still be having all this hoopla? I really want somebody to answer that question.

Angela

MrsSpringsteen said:

And if I had a son I might prefer that he was mentored by a gay man than a straight woman, given the news stories about some women in their 20's, 30's, and 40's getting sexually involved with boys. I think it is very sad that some people think gay men go around preying on children. I would be careful with my kids based upon what kind of person someone is, not their sexual orientation.

Also can you imagine how sheltered your child would be? If boys only had straight men as their mentors and girls only had straight women as mentors, they would never really know how to relate to other people...

I don't want my children to be socially akward, intolerant, or repressed so I will make sure the people that shape their lives come from all walks of life.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom