Is Pot safer than Alcohol?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikal

Blue Crack Addict
I like alcohol better!

But it's definitely safer to drive when your stoned than when you're drunk. People get in less fights when their stoned.

The only reason I don't smoke pot(very much)
wink.gif
is because I believe it leads to more dangerous things.

To answer your topic question, no.

*waits for neo-hippies to jump all over me*

Excess on both accounts will lead to health problems, but social alcohol drinking leads to no health problems, and, in fact, may have health benefits like a healthy cardiovascular system.

However, there are no health benefits to pot. At minimum, it's only a pain-reliever. At most, the high you get from the THC damages canals in your brain that regulate emotion. So, pot is not safer than alcohol.

Melon

------------------
?Confused by thoughts, we experience duality in life. Unencumbered by ideas, the enlightened see the one reality.? - Hui-neng (638-713)

Melon is correct, but I guess you have to take social drinking out of it because that doesn't get you *drunk*, while you can't really socially smoke pot in the same way as 'having a couple of wines with dinner' without getting stoned, so I guess stoned vs drunk is fairer and I think all in all it's about even. Theres all the health problems with pot, most simply because it is smoking and thats apparently recognised as not being to healthy, but other social/health issues I think booze is worse.

I play with both, and enjoy both equally in different ways, but I do think alcohol does more damage overall.

And I wouldn't drive after either. Pot doesn't make you think you are a bullet proof Formula 1 driver like alcohol does, but it does massively slow your reactions, so while you are no where near as likely to wrap yourself around a tree, if something out of the blue happens infront of you, your reaction to that will probably be fucked.

They both can be unsafe while driving.

Alcohol blurrs your vision, while pot just makes you slow to react to certain circumstances.

But overall I feel pot is safer.

bongsmi.gif

------------------
Mean Old Men Took Away My Car

My Website

Originally posted by SicilianGoddess:
They both can be unsafe while driving.

Alcohol blurrs your vision, while pot just makes you slow to react to certain circumstances.

But overall I feel pot is safer.

bongsmi.gif

That is the coolest smily I have ever seen!

*a so called neo-hippie charges at melon*

he wasn't talking about light drinking, and although i know your going to say something along the lines of "at least you can cassually drink and not get drunk..rather than the one way street that is pot".but he was talking about getting hammerd vs. getting stoned.

now...i've been around people that i've seen when they were high and when they were drunk. and i'd frist like to say..if someone is high and your not..or someone is drunk and your not.. the things they do arn't as funny as they , or you would think they ewre if you were drunk/high.
but i'd much rather be around a stoner than a drunk becuse with someone who is high, they are still somewhat themselves they can talk normally and sometimes have more insite into a subject...although they still are a pain in the ass.

as far as risks of doing either are concerned, you don't hear much about a "stoned driver" killing a van full of children much now do you?

I'm sure a stoned person has killed someone driving. I have driven with people that are high a few times. I cant stand it. I am usually high as well. I get very parinoid.

High or Drunk?

Which is worse, well i enjoy both but i would have to say drinking can lead to much more violent situations. Being high(on weed) really mellows people out and thus causing them to not be so energetic. I think health wise they are both not great but so is a big mac.

Good question.

Big Macs or Weed?

HAHAHAHA....I'd take weed anyday...but then i'd end up eating 2 bigmacs...cant win...

------------------
Running to Stand Still-"you gotta cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

"we're not burning out we're burning up...we're the loudest folk band in the world!"-Bono

I personally don't use pot (I don't smoke), and don't like to get drunk (I hate hangovers), so I don't do it. I do drink once in a while (Guinness and Jack Daniels being my favorite drinks...)

Anyway, although I don't condemn anyone for either getting drunk or stoned, all I have to say is that you must do whatever you gonna do in a responsible manner. Before getting drunk or stoned, stop for a moment and think if, for example, you have to drive home, or something like that. It is really stupid to kill someone, and yourself, just for a brief moment of pleasure. It's just not worth it.

------------------
k e r c

La aventura del comienzo
La intriga de lo incierto
No temas y busca lo nuevo
S?lo empieza desde cero

LOL !! NO!! Everyone is asking me that...

ROTF!
yllol.gif

Its a line from "Lady With The Spinning Head"

"Mean old men
Took away my car
Those credit guys
Have got the power"

Heh..

------------------
Mean Old Men Took Away My Car

Sicy's Website

Originally posted by bonoman:

High or Drunk?

Which is worse, well i enjoy both but i would have to say drinking can lead to much more violent situations. Being high(on weed) really mellows people out and thus causing them to not be so energetic. I think health wise they are both not great but so is a big mac.

Good question.

Big Macs or Weed?

HAHAHAHA....I'd take weed anyday...but then i'd end up eating 2 bigmacs...cant win...

LOL!!! This is the best argument I've heard yet...
roflmao.gif

------------------
It's no secret that the stars, are falling from the sky...
-Kathleen-

Men suck. Unless they play instruments...

Originally posted by mikal:

The only reason I don't smoke pot(very much)
wink.gif
is because I believe it leads to more dangerous things.

I have never understood this, this in my opinion is such a load of crap, people will try other things regardless of whether they have tried pot or not, most people I know who are major pot heads dont do anything else and are not into trying anything else, and how if you smoke a joint one day do you end up a couple of years later snorting cocaine?????- I just dont get it........I used to smoke pot and have tried most drugs, both legal and ilegal and I would of done this regardless of whether I had tried pot or not, there are a lot of different drugs for different occasions, I know a lot of hard core, raving ecstacy users who have never had a bong in their life, so this pot leads to harder drugs scapegoating is just a load of shite in my opinion
smile.gif

Well i wouldnt say its a load of shit. but nowadays people are starting into harder drugs other then weed. People might try 'e' first or shrooms, hash and cocaine. But i must agree somewhat that weed does lead to other drugs. But what some dont understand is that alchol leads to many drugs. Usually weed which in some peoples books leads to other drugs.

------------------
bonoman

Running to Stand Still-"you gotta cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

"we're not burning out we're burning up...we're the loudest folk band in the world!"-Bono

I personally believe that pot is far safer than alcohol, for example i've never heard of anyone getting high and then proceeding to bash the shit out of their wife and kids. At least pot smokers don't harm anyone but themselves!

Good resource here: http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/1130.html

The "Gateway Theory" (that marijuana leads to other drugs: http://www.internettrash.com/users/legalize/myth.html#3 http://www.geocities.com/cannabismyths/Gateway002.html http://www.drugwarfacts.org/gatewayt.htm

Originally posted by OzAurora:

I have never understood this, this in my opinion is such a load of crap, people will try other things regardless of whether they have tried pot or not, most people I know who are major pot heads dont do anything else and are not into trying anything else, and how if you smoke a joint one day do you end up a couple of years later snorting cocaine?????- I just dont get it........I used to smoke pot and have tried most drugs, both legal and ilegal and I would of done this regardless of whether I had tried pot or not, there are a lot of different drugs for different occasions, I know a lot of hard core, raving ecstacy users who have never had a bong in their life, so this pot leads to harder drugs scapegoating is just a load of shite in my opinion
smile.gif

The reason why pot leads to other drugs is because pot gets boring after a while and people want something that will affect them harder. It happened to me personally and obviously thousands of other people because this is a very common opinion.

Based on my personal experience, alcohol is much more dangerous than pot. I've had one family member die from alcohol abuse, and another is well on the way. I have seen people "graduate" from alcohol to hard drugs, but not from pot to hard drugs.

In my experience, smoking pot makes you mellow and possibly temporarily a bit stupid, whereas drunken people can be anything from jolly to overly sentimental to verbally agressive, spiteful, or even violent.

I myself will never have a relaxed relationship to alcohol, as I always feel I have to be on guard for myself and others when drinking is going on, but smoking pot is harmless fun to me, even though I don't do it often.

Strange but true personal facts about me: I haven't been really drunk since 1991. I love listening to childrens' songs (and wetting myself laughing) while stoned. I wear an "infidelity ring", which I have discovered works nicely as an alcohol test: as long as I can assemble it, I'm okay - once I forget how to do it, I've had enough.

Above all: Don't lose your head. Be safe!

Back
Top Bottom