Is Palin failin' ? or OMG McCain wins with Palin !! pt. 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All you have to do is go back to when Palin was first selected and examine the reasons why people in here stated she was unqualified to be Vice President. All of the reasons listed had to do with her years and level of elective office experience. The size of the town where she held elective office and the size of the state where she held elective office were also mentioned.

If you don't believe me, I can go back and dig up the qoutes including your own.

Once again all nuance escapes you. Prior to her being interviewed, you are right, a lot of us looked at her experience and deemed her not worthy. That may have been premature. However, you will note that prior to her being picked she had absolutely NO publicly held views on several key national issues - foreign policy, the economy, education, etc, etc, etc - and that was quite a hint to the rest of us that those things weren't even on her radar as governor of Alaska. But I will grant you that if we judged her purely on her experience on paper, that would be premature.

However, it's not really about experience on paper - and that is clearly NOT what we are exclusively judging her on. It's about preparedness for the challenges that face you should you win. And in every single interview I've read and seen of hers, at every opportunity she has had to publicly demonstrate her grasp of the issues, she has instead demonstrated a clear lack of understanding, an inability to think on her feet and a devastatingly poor ability to articulate clear, intelligent and logical answers to relatively straightforward questions.

At this point I wouldn't care if her experience list was extensive, she has clearly demonstrated that she's out of her league.

I will say no more to you on this issue, because I know it won't make any difference with you anyway.

BTW - Irvine why does it take half naked, wet men to get you out of FYM.

There is fun to be had all over this lemonade stand and your humor is appreciated.

i appreciate the kind words. it's usually a time management thing. i only really have time to shake my fist in here and then read WTAHNN and get apathetic. i know it looks like i spend most of my day in here, but i do a lot of writing, and i just log on and post quickly and then log off before someone walks by my desk.

unless, like today, i write from home. then i can stay logged in to xtube many different sites.

That may have been premature.

except that i don't think it was. it was an indication that she'd done no preparation in any public way for the office of the VP. she had no positions. none. so we waited to see if she had something to offer. and she didn't. so, our initial instincts, which were *always* made with qualifications and the knowledge that, yes, things could turn out differently, have turned out to be absolutely spot on. she has no opinions. she's done no thinking. she's borne that well out in public.

of course, as is the case here, the qualifications and nuances are going to be ignored in a pathetic attempt to "prove" that you were somehow "wrong" when you speculated and offered thoughts on something.

except that i don't think it was.

I was being generous. :wink:

And qualified it with her complete lack of publicly held views on important issues, which as you say were a good indication that national political issues weren't really on her radar. Which was confirmed once she started talking.

I was being generous. :wink:

And qualified it with her complete lack of publicly held views on important issues, which as you say were a good indication that national political issues weren't really on her radar. Which was confirmed once she started talking.

i hear you.

from the way things look, all McCain's got left is racism and people who want to put an end to the baby killin'.

oh no! did i say something that sounded like a projection based upon the information we now have that the polls are starting to break very much in Obama's favor and he's up by, like, 5 in VA! you realize that if he goes down by a point or two in VA then i will have been WRONG!

i hear you.

from the way things look, all McCain's got left is racism and people who want to put an end to the baby killin'.

oh no! did i say something that sounded like a projection based upon the information we now have that the polls are starting to break very much in Obama's favor and he's up by, like, 5 in VA! you realize that if he goes down by a point or two in VA then i will have been WRONG!

ooo and he has the whole iraq thing.. I mean eye-rack thing...:wink:

SHe is not as good as she seemed. And that was many a posters point in here. Wait, lets see how she interviews and god forbid....debates.

Want a conspiracy? McCain was hoping he would get away with moving tonight to next week to cancel her debate.

I'll up you on the conspiracy...she's been acting so dumb and then all of a sudden at the debate she'll blow Biden away. Like she would a moose. Just kidding:D

September 26, 2008, 8:11 pm

Curbing Their Enthusiasm
By Kate Phillips
The drip, drip, drip of bad reviews keep falling this week against Gov. Sarah Palin, whose two-day segments of interviews with CBS’ Katie Couric have weakened conservatives’ initial embrace and enthusiasm for the vice-presidential nominee. As if Senator John McCain already hadn’t faced a rough week, which started with conservative columnist George Will bemoaning the Republican candidate’s positions on the economic bailout and suggesting Mr. McCain may be unfit to be president.

Now, conservatives have never warmed to Senator McCain this time around, but they were wowed by Mr. McCain’s selection of Ms. Palin as his running mate and at first, circled the wagons to defend her, despite her lack of foreign policy experience. She talked their values and represented small-town America, something neither ticket had offered to anyone before she surfaced.

But it seems a watershed moment occurred online earlier today when Kathleen Parker, a writer for TownHall.com, reversed her initial support for the Republican vice-presidential nominee and said Ms. Palin should drop out. Put the country first, she basically advised, by saying you need to go take care of your family first.

In a devastating assessment, Ms. Parker writes:

Palin didn’t make a mess cracking the glass ceiling. She simply glided through it.

It was fun while it lasted.

Palin’s recent interviews with Charles Gibson, Sean Hannity, and now Katie Couric have all revealed an attractive, earnest, confident candidate. Who Is Clearly Out Of Her League.

No one hates saying that more than I do. Like so many women, I’ve been pulling for Palin, wishing her the best, hoping she will perform brilliantly. I’ve also noticed that I watch her interviews with the held breath of an anxious parent, my finger poised over the mute button in case it gets too painful. Unfortunately, it often does. My cringe reflex is exhausted.

And then Ms. Parker winds it up, turning the backlash against women who criticize women on its head:

If Palin were a man, we’d all be guffawing, just as we do every time Joe Biden tickles the back of his throat with his toes. But because she’s a woman — and the first ever on a Republican presidential ticket — we are reluctant to say what is painfully true.

What to do?

McCain can’t repudiate his choice for running mate. He not only risks the wrath of the G.O.P.’s unforgiving base, but he invites others to second-guess his executive decision-making ability. Barack Obama faces the same problem with Biden.

Only Palin can save McCain, her party, and the country she loves. She can bow out for personal reasons, perhaps because she wants to spend more time with her newborn. No one would criticize a mother who puts her family first.

Do it for your country.

The National Review’s Kathryn Jean Lopez chimed in: “I don’t know Sarah Palin. Having missed the last cruise to Alaska, I’ve actually never met her. National Review wasn’t on her list of stops this week in New York. So I can’t pretend to know what her wiring is all about. But I know I like a lot of what I’ve heard her say. I also know a lot of what I like about her could be projection. I’m not where my friend Kathleen Parker is — wanting her to step aside to spend more time with her family and Alaska — but that’s not a crazy suggestion. She’s right to say that something’s gotta change.”

Ms. Parker’s words fell like dead weight on top of earlier columns this week on the right-leaning side of the blogosphere about the McCain-Palin ticket.

In a column on Thursday, conservative Rich Lowry compared Senator McCain to the “proverbial cartoon character over the edge of the cliff, in midair, desperately flapping his arms and somehow maintaining altitude.” Mr. McCain, he continues, has been “making moves that mark him as different, but can be seen as risky or gimmicky.” One of those moves, according to Mr. Lowry, was adding Governor Palin to the Republican ticket:

Does Palin know enough to be a national candidate right now? No, but she can be mostly walled off from the press. Will attacking Obama on Fannie and Freddie open McCain to attack because one of his top aides lobbied for the organizations? Yes, but he can bulldog through it. Is going to Washington going to help much of anything? Probably not, but the symbolism matters. All the unconventional moves risk eroding McCain’s reputation as a steady hand, but the alternative is simply being overwhelmed by the gravitational pull of the public’s desire for change.

And at The American Spectator, Philip Klein twice reviewed Governor Palin’s interviews this week. At first, he said: “Her answer that not supporting a bailout could mean a Great Depression was off message and irresponsible. For the rest of the interview, it was just lots of tired cliches, and random jargon that made it seem as if she was reading off of mental index cards. I know a lot of conservatives like Sarah Palin and always rush to her defense. But it’s absolutely not meant as an insult to say that she simply is not ready to be a heartbeat away from the presidency.”

But in a second take, Mr. Klein came away a little bit less judgmental about some of her answers, but said he wasn’t swayed away from her not being qualified. Still, he added: “What I am saying is that Palin is in a situation in which she has to field questions on a lot of subjects that she doesn’t know a lot about. Rather than try to spit out rehearsed lines over and over again, she would be better off, as much as possible, to speak in her own words, rooted in her own values, and sense of right and wrong.”

The Times’s David Brooks earlier challenged conservatives who were thrilled by the Palin pick, supporting her “on the grounds that something that feels so good could not possibly be wrong” — even though others have raised serious doubts about her qualifications. In his Sept. 15 column, Mr. Brooks made an argument for the importance of “prudence.” He asked:

“What is prudence? It is the ability to grasp the unique pattern of a specific situation. It is the ability to absorb the vast flow of information and still discern the essential current of events — the things that go together and the things that will never go together. It is the ability to engage in complex deliberations and feel which arguments have the most weight.”

So, does Governor Palin have it? Mr. Brooks wrote: “Sarah Palin has many virtues. If you wanted someone to destroy a corrupt establishment, she’d be your woman. But the constructive act of governance is another matter. She has not been engaged in national issues, does not have a repertoire of historic patterns and, like President Bush, she seems to compensate for her lack of experience with brashness and excessive decisiveness.”

Curbing Their Enthusiasm - The Caucus Blog - NYTimes.com

you had me at "steak"

I like steak

Steak is a wonderful, wonderful thing. There are a few steakhouses in San Francisco that I'd love to try out. Of course you can rarely go wrong with the House of Prime Rib (they do one thing, and they do it damn well), but I like a little variety. :)

As I've said before, I believe McCain gambled. . .

He gambled with his selection of Palin. At first I thought he won that roll of the dice but it looks like he may have lost.

He gambled with this move to postpone the debates. Then he ended up backpedaling and going anyway. He definitely lost that gamble.

I don't really want a man so prone to gambling to be running our country. What if he decides to "what the heck" and gamble on Iran? Russia?

Fareed Zakaria of Newsweek also calls for Palin to step down. Drip, drip, drip.

Will someone please put Sarah Palin out of her agony? Is it too much to ask that she come to realize that she wants, in that wonderful phrase in American politics, "to spend more time with her family"?

Some commentators, like CNN's Campbell Brown, have argued that it's sexist to keep Sarah Palin under wraps, as if she were a delicate flower who might wilt under the bright lights of the modern media. But the more Palin talks, the more we see that it may not be sexism but common sense that's causing the McCain campaign to treat her like a time bomb.

Can we now admit the obvious? Sarah Palin is utterly unqualified to be vice president. She is a feisty, charismatic politician who has done some good things in Alaska. But she has never spent a day thinking about any important national or international issue, and this is a hell of a time to start.

Obviously these are very serious challenges and constraints. In these times, for John McCain to have chosen this person to be his running mate is fundamentally irresponsible. McCain says that he always puts country first. In this important case, it is simply not true.

Fareed Zakaria: Palin Is Ready? Please. | Newsweek Voices - Fareed Zakaria | Newsweek.com

If Sarah Palin was really about putting our country first she never would have accepted a job she wasn't ready, knowledgeable, or qualified for (and a month before accepting said job admitted in her own words that she didn't know its requirements) that leaves her first in line to potentially be Commander in Chief and have the the weight of making decisions that affect the lives of billions of people here and around the world. I don't feel sorry that she's having such a tough time of it, I feel sorry that she's so power-hungry that she's willing to embarrass her own family, her party, and herself and possibly allow grave danger to her country should she actually become VP, or President should the unfortunate situation come about.

Oh my gosh, did anyone just catch the opening sketch on SNL? It was a parody of the Palin interview with Katie Couric. Tina Fey knocked it out of the park again. It was so frickin' hilarious.:lol: The sad part was that some of the answers Fey as Palin gave were almost verbatim to the ones the real Palin gave in the actual interview. I hope the video's up online soon.

ETA. I see Irvine did.:hi5:

:giggle:

I looked for the SNL clip from tonite on YouTube, but of course it's already been taken down. Guess I'll just have to watch it :)

Bono the King of Ireland.
I have a feeling that, like "I can see Russia from my house/porch," this will now be quoted here as having actually been said by Gov Palin.
Which is the danger of getting your news primarily from comedy shows like SNL, The Daily Show, The Colbert Report or Countdown With Keith Olbermann.

I have a feeling that, like "I can see Russia from my house/porch," this will now be quoted here as having actually been said by Gov Palin.
Which is the danger of getting your news primarily from comedy shows like SNL, The Daily Show, The Colbert Report or Countdown With Keith Olbermann.

You think you're clever putting Olbermann in that group?

:rolleyes:

And, FYI, The Daily Show offers a more honest report of the day's news than most real network newscasts do. And there are a LOT of people that would agree with that.

Wow. That's very telling about what you think about the intelligence of those that post here.

Because "you can see Russia from my state" is so much better.

That SNL sketch isn't funny.

It's terrifying.

Cuz it's true.

Palin isn't ready.

But NONE of them are ready.

What experience do Obama/Biden have in managing a financial crisis? What experience does McCain have?

I emphasize again, I hope that Obama/Biden win it.

Palin isn't ready.

But NONE of them are ready.

What experience do Obama/Biden have in managing a financial crisis? What experience does McCain have?

I emphasize again, I hope that Obama/Biden win it.

I think you can pretty much throw the experience argument out the window with Palin. Having none wouldn’t matter if (a) she came across as an articulate, educated and intellectually curious person, and/or (b) John McCain were 10-15 years younger.

The other three may not have the direct experience in one or more (or a few) of the required fields, but I don’t think anyone doubts that they’ve shown over and over again that they’re intelligent enough to be fine (how many former Presidents had every box ticked on the way in?) at the job, and have a thorough understanding and ability with the various issues, regardless of what you think of their opinions on them. Palin has yet to demonstrate that she can string two coherent sentences together, let alone showing any understanding of… anything, and is clearly a million years from articulating any personal opinions or positions beyond coached/drilled in sound-bites and buzz phrases.

The way they are shielding her from the media is being played well as Us vs Them (them, of course, being the nasty, liberal MSM) but come on. The base adore her, she is the sole reason why McCain is still in this. If she were remotely able she would be everywhere. At the very least, if their distaste of the ‘liberal’ media were true, they’d have her on Fox every 15 minutes, she's perfect for Fox! She’s not for one reason only, and it’s got nothing to do with a lack of experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom