Is Palin failin' ? or OMG McCain wins with Palin !! pt. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya, and over 10 million for McCain. Give it up guys. Your squirming is becoming way too obvious. You're scared to death of this woman - as you ought to be.

Nice try, Harry.

McCain has raised $10 million since the announcement. Since Palin's speech, Obama has raised over $10 million (up from $8 million) earlier.

So $10 million in a week vs. $10 million in 24 hrs, that's a fair comparison!

ETA: For the sake of accuracy, the McCain campaign has raised $1 million since the speech. So, 1/10th? I'm sure Obama is squirming.

Nice try, Harry.

McCain has raised $10 million since the announcement. Since Palin's speech, Obama has raised over $10 million (up from $8 million) earlier.

So $10 million in a week vs. $10 million in 24 hrs, that's a fair comparison!

ETA: For the sake of accuracy, the McCain campaign has raised $1 million since the speech. So, 1/10th? I'm sure Obama is squirming.

If that's true it just reinforces my opinion that the Democrats are terrified of this woman!!!

That there could be only one 72yr old man standing between her and the leadership of the most powerful nation on earth is terrifying, you are correct.

i know, right?

all the people glowing about what a tactically brilliant pick this was or how well she delivers one-liners are completely missing this point.

and, really, none of her enthusiastic supporters will answer the very simple question: is she prepared to assume the presidency?

i know, right?

all the people glowing about what a tactically brilliant pick this was or how well she delivers one-liners are completely missing this point.

and, really, none of her enthusiastic supporters will answer the very simple question: is she prepared to assume the presidency?

What happens when the Vice President becomes President.

Who is Vice President ?

Yes – look it up. Google it or go to Wikipedia or something. That’s what happens to the winning VP candidate, they actually get the job of Vice President.

I’m sure some Obama supporters are terrified at the thought of her mobilising the same stupidity that got you Bush for 8 years, but also terrified of that actually working for her and McCain and then… whoops, she’s actually Vice President now. For real.

I haven’t read, seen or heard anything anywhere in the last week that suggests anyone on the left is in any way terrified of her because she’s some fantastic, legitimately exciting candidate. Only that she’s going to make a great electoral attack dog and far-right cheerleader. The only fear I’ve seen is that (a) it might just work, and (b) then she’s actually 2nd in line. For real!

:rolleyes:

Actually he's partially right. If both the pres and VP were simultaneously disabled, then the speaker of the house. If just the pres, the VP gets to nominate someone to take his/her place.

Does that satisfy you, professor?

:rolleyes:

Actually he's partially right. If both the pres and VP were simultaneously disabled, then the speaker of the house. If just the pres, the VP gets to nominate someone to take his/her place.

Does that satisfy you, professor?

there is no partial credit for changing the question

here it is again:

Who is Vice President ?

It's time to throw my half cooked thoughts in the fray:

As mayor, Sarah Palin took the unusal step (for just a small town mom) of hiring/sending a lobbyist to D.C to bring back literally the same pork spending that John McCain criticized. She was then governor of Alaska, of all 50 states the greatest out-of-proportion beneficiary of federal spending. Alaska's budget has so much revenue from oil and (a windfall profits tax) that it has no sales tax or income tax, and literally pays people to live there.

while the other 49 states' governors deal with budget cuts and crises, making painful decisions about whether to postpone that teacher pay raise or release inmates earlier for lack of funds. or raise taxes.

the McCain message is all muddled.

they're just doing it all wrong. If you WANT Palin, fine. Vet and decide in early August, have her start researching issues/debate preparation, don't make Obama's readiness the central issue, float a trial balloon so people are familiar with her name and surrogates on 24 hour networks at least know how to make a case in her defense. instead all for the sake of a one day surprise the news breaks, the talking heads don't know what to say and the first week is occupied with the sudden drop of all the bg material. and now they're hiding her from the media until election day- that doesn't speak to tremendous confidence in Palin.

Palin is not the issue, John McCain is, his name is first on the ticket. Besides, I don't see more in Palin that concerns me then about other Republican candidates. It's more how McCain's impulsive decision making on Palin reflects on how he'd make other decisions. It's tactics over strategy. I think McCain has poor ideas about the world, but at least plan and execute these ideas well.

there is no partial credit for changing the question

here it is again:

Who is Vice President ?

25th ammendment Section 2: Whenever there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress.

25th ammendment Section 2: Whenever there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress.

How come the congress has to approve the VP in that situation but they don't have to approve the VP initially?

Just a thought.

That is 100 % correct.

If McCain becomes incapacitated and Sarah Palin assumes the Presidency.
She will be able to nominate a person for Vice President. That person must be confirmed be a majority of both the House and Senate.

Anyone she nominates would have to be an experience- well known person.
Perhaps someone like Lugar. The Dems in the House and Senate would have the power to confirm or reject.

So, I think it is a 10 % ( at best ) chance that McCain can't make 4 years.

I would hate to handicap 8 years.

And the Dems would have veto over her nomination.

I would expect a true experienced bi-partisan pick.

A hard core extremist would be a non starter.

But you said the VP has no authority of portfolio, right? So why would their experience and bipartisanship matter.

Last edited:
I think I said the Vice President has no portfolio or responsibilities other than what the President assigns.

I have also said that Presidents that don't have a problem with experience and qualifications experience do not need to pick a V P that gives them credibility or gravitas. Examples: Bush 1 choosing Dan Quale, McCain picking unknown Palin.

Nominees that are perceived to be light weights Bush II and Obama need a pick that gives them 'gravitas'. Cheney and Biden both accomplished that.

I would put Palin in the Bush II, Obama group
one needing a "gravitas" pick.

And bi-partisanship matters because the 25th amendment requires the House and Senate to confirm. Unlike the party delegations that we just witnessed.

I am assuming that is a quote (with a typo) from some other thread or perhaps this one?

I meant authority or portfolio

I think I also said FDR changed his VPs like he changed his socks?

If you click on the little blue arrow in a quoted post, it takes you directly to that post.

i guess the whole fuck community organizing thing is going to be a staple of the campaign from here on out.

...just saw palin deliver the same "a mayor is a community organizer with responsibility" line on cnn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom