Is Palin failin' ? or OMG McCain wins with Palin !! pt. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another reason to admire Sarah, she can think on her feet:

BREAKING: Sarah Palin "Winged" Her Speech Because of "Broken" Teleprompter
Posted by: Erick Erickson

Thursday, September 4, 2008 at 01:00AM

66 Comments

Halfway through Sarah Palin's speech tonight at the RNC, people following the speech noticed she was deviating from the prepared text.

According to sources close to the McCain campaign, the teleprompter continued scrolling during applause breaks. As a result, half way through the speech, the speech had scrolled significantly from where Governor Palin was in the speech. The malfunction also occurred during Rudy Giuliani's speech, explaining his significant deviations from his speech.

Unfazed, Governor Palin continued, from memory, to deliver her speech without the teleprompter cued to the appropriate point in her speech.

Contrast this to Barack Obama who, when last his teleprompter malfunctioned, was left stuttering before a crowd unable to advance his speech until the problem was resolved.

Sarah Palin. Winner.

Having memorized a speech isn't "thinking on your feet". Palin's probably rarely used a telepromter before, therefore probably felt a little more comfortable memorizing the speech. We'll see how she does once she's making several different speeches a day and doesn't have time to read through the speech more than once.

Having memorized a speech isn't "thinking on your feet". Palin's probably rarely used a telepromter before, therefore probably felt a little more comfortable memorizing the speech. We'll see how she does once she's making several different speeches a day and doesn't have time to read through the speech more than once.

so speculation on your part.

something tells me esp after watching her last night it will be old hat to her unlike obummer.

:)

<>

Welcome to Republicans for Obama | Republicans for Obama

Comments, old dudes?

We can all play this game. Find portions of other's party that's supporting the other person, but at the end of the day, it doesn't matter. Are any of these groups big enough to change anything electoral vote wise?

i suspect many of those will leave soon as the emergence of sarah takes flight.

obama will come across as milk toast after paulin's speech last night.

if only obama were a fraction of the man that sarah is.

<>

so speculation on your part.

something tells me esp after watching her last night it will be old hat to her unlike obummer.

:)

<>

Not speculation, educated guess. The quote you posted mentioned she memorized it, and I'm making an educated guess given the fact she hasn't addressed many crowds like this that she hasn't used many teleprompters. :shrug:

i suspect many of those will leave soon as the emergence of sarah takes flight.

obama will come across as milk toast after paulin's speech last night.

if only obama were a fraction of the man that sarah is.

<>

Now who's speculating?:huh:

Did you read the site, they don't care for Palin.

Are you calling Sarah butch?

here's an op-ed that pretty much expresses my feelings this morning:

McCain's Tricky Calculation

Palin is 'change'—but keeps the 'experience' issue alive.
Jonathan Alter
Newsweek Web Exclusive
Updated: 8:08 PM ET Sep 3, 2008

Faced with a shaggy, seat-of-the-pants convention, Republicans are determined to get back on message. So now their new, more disciplined line is about experience. That's right, after John McCain selected a vice presidential candidate who is clearly unprepared to be president, his aides—and any other Republicans who want a future in the party are singing from the same choir book. In speeches, interviews, a new ad, and even off-the-record sessions with reporters, the line is that Sarah Palin is more prepared than Barack Obama to be president.

I asked a senior McCain aide on Tuesday: "So what you're saying is that Barack Obama is not ready to be president on day one, but Sarah Palin is?"

"Yes," he said with a straight face.

Obama won 18 million votes, faced countless tough interviews and emerged with a reputation for fluency in discussing affairs of state, whatever one thinks of his politics. Palin's vote totals for mayor were measured in the hundreds; she has served only 20 months as governor of a state half the size of Brooklyn, and knows nothing of national or international issues beyond energy.

No matter. The argument stands.

Here's the logic, if you can call it that. Governors and mayors have executive experience, and the presidency is an executive job. Palin has been a manager and Obama has not. When faced with the obvious question—"So does that mean that Palin is more qualified than McCain, who has never been an executive?"— Republicans (working from talking points) have an answer. McCain commanded a training squadron in Florida in 1976 (the fact that he was not promoted to flag rank afterwards doesn't get mentioned).

This is what it has come to.
But how? Before we understand how experience got back into the campaign, we have to recognize why it disappeared with the Palin pick.

The Obama campaign claims that it's simple. "They [McCain and company] spent four months trying to make this about experience and it didn't work," says Obama communications director Robert Gibbs, visiting St. Paul to offer a little spin of his own. "The McCain campaign recognized that this election is about change, and that's why they changed their strategy."

The idea behind selecting Palin was to move away from the experience argument—which hadn't worked for Hillary Clinton—and toward a campaign theme focused on reform and resistance to Washington business-as-usual. In other words, McCain picked Palin, in part to steal some of Obama's thunder; not just with women and younger voters but among those hungry for change.

Unfortunately for McCain, problems with that approach arose immediately. Even many Republicans believe it irresponsible of McCain, now 72, to put someone so lacking in familiarity with Washington (and the world beyond America) a heartbeat from the presidency. At least governors who have run for president have studied national and global problems for a couple of years. Palin has not. Moreover, Palin's credentials as a reformer were tarnished by reports that he she had favored the inexcusable "Bridge to Nowhere" before she opposed it, and as mayor of Wasilla, Alaska, had hired a Washington lobbyist to obtain $27 million in federal aid for her town of less than 9,000, not including an expensive passageway from Wasilla to Sen. Ted Stevens's country home nearby.

Meanwhile, second thoughts emerged about jettisoning the experience argument altogether. "Ready to be president" had been the centerpiece of McCain's campaign and it looked a little cynical to junk it overnight. It was also inconvenient to explain why McCain had stated repeatedly that the most important criterion he was using in choosing a vice president was the capacity to be a highly qualified president on day one if necessary.

So the McCain camp decided to try to make lemonade out of lemons (though they remain hopeful that Palin herself will turn out to be a peach). McCain aides figure that any day spent talking about experience—even if their argument about it is absurd—is a good day for McCain and a bad day for Obama. Their presidential candidate has it; the Democrat does not. The rest, they figure, is just noise.

Will it work? It depends on how successful the McCain campaign is at keeping Palin from embarrassing herself. Her lack of experience will only become an issue if it is manifested during the campaign. To decrease the odds of a gaffe, expect her to be carefully shielded from the questions of tough-minded reporters.

I'd imagine that Palin will dodge press conferences in favor of interviews with people like Sean Hannity, Larry King and Ellen DeGeneres. Then, when the media complain that she is being kept away, the McCain campaign will cite the half dozen or so interviews she has granted as proof that the campaign press is just bellyaching. Brief press "avails" on the plane will be useless, unless reporters ask open-ended queries designed to elicit proof of real knowledge.

That should get Palin through the next three weeks. By the end of the month, the McCain camp can say she has to go to ground to prepare for the Oct. 2 vice presidential debate, where expectations will be so low for Palin that she will likely emerge intact. It will be up to the press and public to raise enough of a stink about this, that Palin is forced to submit to real interviews with real questions that show whether her real-life experience is any preparation for assuming high office. In that sense, the Palin nomination is as much of a test of us as it is of her.

This all just seems as one big joke. The GOP are soooooo good at playing to the stupidity in this country, while the Dems feel they're above it, and that common sense will win out.

It's not.

I still don't know who I'm voting for, it's not McCain for sure, but I'm not even leaning towards Obama. I'm just so tired of these 2 parties.

This all just seems as one big joke. The GOP are soooooo good at playing to the stupidity in this country, while the Dems feel they're above it, and that common sense will win out.

I agree for the most part, it's unfortunate, but true. But then again I couldn't respect anyone if they started playing to that demographic, it's part of the reason I have lost some respect for so many because they feel like they have to...

Is there anyway around it? Do we just have to weight for the national IQ to rise in order to have smarter government? In order to get real change?

I'm sure someone will label me elitist soon.

Oops.

Former top McCain strategist trashes Palin pick - War Room - Salon.com

Former top McCain strategist trashes Palin pick

Apparently some people still haven't noticed the cautionary example Jesse Jackson provided not so long ago and learned to shut up whenever they're wearing a microphone. On Wednesday, three people -- MSNBC's Chuck Todd, top GOP strategist Mike Murphy and prominent conservative commentator Peggy Noonan -- got caught having what they clearly thought was an off-the-record conversation about Sarah Palin, a conversation that defines brutal honesty. (You can listen to it below.)

Murphy's comments are especially interesting, because he was a key figure in John McCain's 2000 presidential run, and earlier this year there was speculation that he might join back up with McCain. Clearly, if he had, he would have advocated for a different path than the campaign has taken. In the recording, Murphy can be heard implying that he thinks McCain should have chosen someone from a blue state as his running mate. Apparently referring to some of McCain's current advisors, Murphy then says, "These guys, this is all like how you win a Texas race -- you know, just run it up. And it's not gonna work."

Noonan can then be heard agreeing with Murphy, saying, "It's over." A little later, Noonan responds to a question about whether Palin was the most qualified woman McCain could have chosen. "The most qualified? No," Noonan responds. "I think they went for this, excuse me, political bullshit about narratives ... Every time Republicans do that, because that's not where they live and it's not what they're good at, they blow it." (By the way, Noonan's column in the Wall Street Journal just happens to have run today; I suggest reading it, if only to note the differences between what she says in public and what she says in private.)

Finally, there's one parting shot, a bit of insult added to injury, as Murphy says, "You know what's really the worst thing about it? The greatness of McCain is no cynicism, and it's cynical."

Why the media should apologize
By: Roger Simon
September 4, 2008 10:50 AM EST

ST. PAUL, Minn. — On behalf of the media, I would like to say we are sorry.

On behalf of the elite media, I would like to say we are very sorry.

We have asked questions this week that we should never have asked.

We have asked pathetic questions like: Who is Sarah Palin? What is her record? Where does she stand on the issues? And is she is qualified to be a heartbeat away from the presidency?

We have asked mean questions like: How well did John McCain know her before he selected her? How well did his campaign vet her? And was she his first choice?

Bad questions. Bad media. Bad.

It is not our job to ask questions. Or it shouldn’t be. To hear from the pols at the Republican National Convention this week, our job is to endorse and support the decisions of the pols.

Sarah Palin hit the nail on the head Wednesday night (and several in the audience wish she had hit some reporters on the head instead) when she said: “I’m not a member of the permanent political establishment. And I’ve learned quickly, these past few days, that if you’re not a member in good standing of the Washington elite, then some in the media consider a candidate unqualified for that reason alone.”

But where did we go wrong with Sarah Palin? Let me count the ways:

First, we should have stuck to the warm, human interest stuff like how she likes mooseburgers and hit an important free throw at her high school basketball tournament even though she had a stress fracture.

Second, we should have stuck to the press release stuff like how she opposed the Bridge to Nowhere (after she supported it).

Third, we should never have strayed into the other stuff. Like when The Washington Post recently wrote: “Palin is under investigation by a bipartisan state legislative body. … Palin had promised to cooperate with the legislative inquiry, but this week she hired a lawyer to fight to move the case to the jurisdiction of the state personnel board, which Palin appoints.”

Why go there? What trees does that plant?

Fourth, we should stop making with all the questions already. She gave a really good speech. And why go beyond that? As we all know, speeches cannot be written by others and rehearsed for days. They are true windows to the soul.

Unless they are delivered by Barack Obama, that is. In which case, as Palin said Wednesday, speeches are just a “cloud of rhetoric.”

Fifth, we should stop reporting on the families of the candidates. Unless the candidates want us to.

Sarah Palin wanted the media to report on her teenage son, Track, who enlisted in the Army on Sept. 11, 2007, and soon will deploy to Iraq.

Sarah Palin did not want the media to report on her teenage daughter, Bristol, who is pregnant and unmarried.

Sarah Palin thinks that one is good for her campaign and one is not, and that the media should report only on what is good for her campaign. That is our job, and that is our duty. If that is not actually in the Constitution, it should be. (And someday may be.)

The official theme of the convention’s third day was “prosperity,” but the unofficial theme was “the media are really, really awful.”

Even Mike Huckabee, who campaigned for president this year by saying “I am a conservative, but I am not mad at anybody,” discovered Wednesday night that he is mad at somebody.

“I’d like to thank the elite media for doing something,” Huckabee said, “that, quite frankly, I didn’t think could be done: unify the Republican party and all of America in support of John McCain and Sarah Palin.”

And could that be the real point of the attacks on the media? To unify the Republican Party?

No, that is simply the cynical, media view.

Though as Lily Tomlin says, “No matter how cynical I get, it’s just never enough to keep up.”

I couldn’t resist that. For which I am sorry.

indeed. not asking questions is what drew us into Iraq. never forget.

Green Party supporter Rick Seno sees Palin as "the female Republican version of Barack Obama." The Dallas, Texas, resident said he noticed several similarities between the two politicians as Palin delivered her convention speech.

"She's a talented speaker. She gives a great speech. She has the ability to capture people's attention and give them hope and make them excited," he said. "But when it comes to her record and her lack of experience, she is equally unprepared to be in the White House."

:no:

She's hardly a talented speaker. She sounds like Francis McDormand's character from "Fargo". Small-town voice. Not at all inspiring.

To Rob Crawford of Washington, D.C., Palin appeared "condescending and elitist" during her acceptance speech. Crawford, who supports Obama, described last week's Democratic National Convention as "inclusive" and the Republican convention as "divisive."

"I feel as if this country will be more divided than ever tomorrow morning," he wrote on iReport.com after watching Palin's address. "I did not feel this way last week. I saw the same thing eight years ago with a charming, affable guy from Texas who had very bad ideas."

:applaud:
This is spot on. The big speakers at the DNC bent over backwards to separate man from politician, over and over you heard the phrase, "John McCain is a good man" or "John McCain is my friend". Here, they see nothing wrong with personal attacks and non-stop mockery.

James Martin of Mooresville, South Carolina, described Palin as "nasty, crude and totally unacceptable as VP." He was especially offended by the "cheap shots" she took at Obama and Democratic running mate Joe Biden.

"I can't see how America can be better off electing someone who shows so little respect," he added.

Indeed.

A northern accent is hardly a reason not to vote for someone.

Stick to her creationism, her anti-choice position, her environmental positions, etc.

I didn't say it was a reason not to vote for her. I just said I didn't think she was a very good speaker.

The reasons for not voting for her are the ones you just outlined.

Apparently, she did not 'wing' her speech as the teleprompter was working: Jonathan Martin's Blog: The Teleprompter did not break - Politico.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom