Is Palin failin' ? or OMG McCain wins with Palin !! pt. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking that Palin's speech might backfire. It was tremendously nasty, in terms of personal attacks, and very light on the issues. Sure, it will fire up the base, but I can't imagine the undecided vote leaning towards McCain on the basis of this speech. We'll have to see if McCain can knock it out of the park, but he's certainly no Obama in this regard.

Is there really an informed set of "independent voters" out there? Even on FYM I find that those claiming independence usually swing towards one party even though they may not be partisan, can it really be said that these "independent" (or ill-informed swinging voters?) will objectively weigh up the issues and vote in their rational self-interest. Perception matters, and given the coverage of Obama during the primaries the perception of him being a media darling is already out there, the Republicans need only capitalise upon that (and it doesn't matter how much his supporters protest because to most people perceive it as true), using Palin is beneficial in bringing out the perception that Obama is backed by misogynists (McCain may promise to undercut abortion rights, but the Obama-Biden attack a woman). Compared to 2006 after the midterms the GOP is not in as a disastrous position, a non-catastrophic loss (with future prospects like Jindal)

Should also mention that I am fine seeing Obama win, he has to be centrist, but I think that a bit of time out of the executive could be very good for the Republicans and I want to see Obama supporters get disillusioned with him backtracking on campaign promises. Posters in FYM may have an overwhelming leftist bias (one that unsurprisingly reinforces itself; any conservative that mentions is attacked as a self-pitying child) but that shouldn't stop genuine dissent (telling people what they don't want to hear), I feel that the moves by some posters to disengage in response to some groupthink criticism is weak and that they should bloody well defend their position (if only because Obama's cult of personality is irritating and easily mockable).

Is there really an informed set of "independent voters" out there?

I'd say yes, if only because there are a lot of cynical people out there who inherently hate both parties, but still want to vote. Hence, they will be the one keeping score, and I just don't see Palin really making a compelling case to these cynical voters as to why they should vote for them. Her speech was far too much of the same old, same old.

This is a typical Republican pattern, so I wouldn't be surprised.
Yes, and Democrats are all sweetness and light (we are talking about those hicks in fly-over states).

Apparently registered Republicans give more to charity than Democrats, charges of Republicans all being uncaring bastards seems like a load of leftist bull.

Hey, I know, you can say she's not good for family values since her daughter got pregnant. Also you could say, she can't be a good mother of five and have such a high pressure job. That should turn the right wing against her!:sexywink:

I still think she was a weak and bad choice and it will hurt him.

SARAH PALIN!!!!!!!!! She's just like all the rest of us...down to earth regular folk!

Yes, and Democrats are all sweetness and light (we are talking about those hicks in fly-over states).

The pattern I was talking about is the pattern of opposing issues based on "morality," then having a family incident change their mind about the "morality" of the issue, because suddenly they need the service they tried to ban or cut funding for.

I have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

I'm thinking that Palin's speech might backfire. It was tremendously nasty, in terms of personal attacks, and very light on the issues. Sure, it will fire up the base, but I can't imagine the undecided vote leaning towards McCain on the basis of this speech. We'll have to see if McCain can knock it out of the park, but he's certainly no Obama in this regard.

Focus Group: Palin Was (Alarmingly) Strong

Several moderate-Democrat friends of mine have been emailing--few if any would ever vote for McCain--but all agree that Palin was very strong. The more liberal among them are a little panicked.

I completely misjudged how negative she would be. Her lines about Obama were brutally cutting and possibly over the top in places. But she's a far better messenger than an angry white man. (Note, by the way, how both Rudy and Huckabee employed a tone that was more bemused than angry. That's the modern GOP's favorite trick--comedic ridicule in place of outright nastiness.)

The pattern I was talking about is the pattern of opposing issues based on "morality," then having a family incident change their mind about the "morality" of the issue, because suddenly they need the service they tried to ban or cut funding for.

I have no idea what the hell you're talking about.
Are you suggesting that if a Republican becomes poor they stop supporting cutting away the welfare net? I can think of a few examples where people vote against their own self-interest because of spin and that includes cutting back on services that they might benefit from.

Predicition:And to say he's a joke to most Americans, diamond, John McCain would disagree with you.

McCain is a statesman and will be polite to a colleauge.

Biden is a joke to the American Electorate.

5 deferments from military service.
A known plagerizer.
2 failed attempts as the Dem nominee.
Dismal showing in the Dem primaries.
Hairplugs.

<>

McCain is a statesman and will be polite to a colleauge.

Biden is a joke to the American Electorate.

5 deferments from military service.
A known plagerizer.
2 failed attempts as the Dem nominee.
Dismal showing in the Dem primaries.
Hairplugs.

<>

McCain is a joke:

1 Failed attempt to successfully fly a plane
A known adulterer
1 of 5 members of Keating Five (perhaps the dumbest member, to boot)
1 Failed attempt as the Repub nominee
A known verbal abuser of current wife
6 months of bashing Bush in 2004 prior to lauding Bush at the RNC later that year in a play for the 2008 nomination
1 MASSIVE near-bankruptcy of his campaign (what on earth will he do with a country??)

It's easy to pick out useless facts and statistics.

then why did he get the nomination of his party while joe didn't?

<>

Because of the relative strengths of their competitors.

McCain is a bad choice in a pool of even worse choices.

Obama is a mediocre choice in a pool of mediocre choices.

Are you suggesting that if a Republican becomes poor they stop supporting cutting away the welfare net? I can think of a few examples where people vote against their own self-interest because of spin and that includes cutting back on services that they might benefit from.

I've noticed this pattern in general. Republicans are fine with outlawing, cutting funding, reducing availability, etc. Until they need it. Then the song changes. You can always find exceptions, but it's a general pattern.

I'm not really surprised by anything anymore, after the American public reelected Bush, of all people. :shrug:

I thought her speech came off as shrill and nasty. And I'd be saying that if she was Obama's VP, too. :shrug:

My other thought was, at the beginning when she was ticking off the names of her family, how much filler was that to be naming family members and getting applause, when she should have been making a case for herself? I didn't get it.

Another reason to admire Sarah, she can think on her feet:

BREAKING: Sarah Palin "Winged" Her Speech Because of "Broken" Teleprompter
Posted by: Erick Erickson

Thursday, September 4, 2008 at 01:00AM

66 Comments

Halfway through Sarah Palin's speech tonight at the RNC, people following the speech noticed she was deviating from the prepared text.

According to sources close to the McCain campaign, the teleprompter continued scrolling during applause breaks. As a result, half way through the speech, the speech had scrolled significantly from where Governor Palin was in the speech. The malfunction also occurred during Rudy Giuliani's speech, explaining his significant deviations from his speech.

Unfazed, Governor Palin continued, from memory, to deliver her speech without the teleprompter cued to the appropriate point in her speech.

Contrast this to Barack Obama who, when last his teleprompter malfunctioned, was left stuttering before a crowd unable to advance his speech until the problem was resolved.

Sarah Palin. Winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom