Is Palin failin' ? or OMG McCain wins with Palin !! pt. 2 - Page 24 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-07-2008, 07:07 PM   #461
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Where the beer flows like wine...
Posts: 4,528
Local Time: 02:09 AM
Don't you just hate it when rumours are started,
turned into half lies from the mouths of people who have everything to lose, twisted out of purportion,
spread like fire and then shoved down the public throat as truth,
just to make someone look bad because you don't like them?

Kinda pisses one off.
I know it would me.
__________________

Night & Day is offline  
Old 09-07-2008, 07:13 PM   #462
Blue Crack Distributor
 
VintagePunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a dry and waterless place
Posts: 55,738
Local Time: 05:09 AM
I don't have time to go through these one by one right now, but numbers 35 and 40 are laughable.

35. yes, she did fire the Wasilla Chief of Police as Mayor; yes, it was because he was lying to the City Council.
40. yes, she did ask the librarian if some books could be withdrawn because of being offensive; no, they couldn’t; yes she did threaten to fire the librarian a month later; no, that wasn’t over the books thing but instead over administrative issues; no, the librarian wasn’t fired either; yes, the librarian was a big supporter of one of her political opponents; yes, the librarian was also the girlfriend of the Chief of police mentioned above; no, this is not the first time in the history of civilization that someone has been threatened with being fired over a political dispute

First, no sources linked to, regarding the Police chief lying to city council, and that he was the boyfriend of the librarian. Nice. Also, because she's not the first one to use her office to settle a political grudge, that makes it okay? Btw, it wasn't just the librarian and chief she did this to, either, there were numerous others she attempted to/did fire.
__________________

VintagePunk is offline  
Old 09-07-2008, 07:13 PM   #463
War Child
 
TheEdge U2JT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: In a house filled with boys, guitars, pets and a lot of love!
Posts: 947
Local Time: 02:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
You're missing my point. I'm saying this is what the media does, because that's what the public wants. We want to know something about the people we're voting for... The public knew nothing about this woman. So of course the media is going to start finding information and with the race for information and trying to be the one that breaks the next story, some things are going to be wrong.
I just have an expectation that the process be fair. I remember a time when journalists had to satisfy a burden of proof before the information was taken to the world. That has changed. The Dan Rather National Guard story was a sad example of how far this has fallen.

I'm sorry if I said something to offend you. That is not at all my point. Please dont mistake a debate about things like the treatment of Sarah Palin and the rumors that are flying, as any kind of personal attack for me. Not the case. I respect your opinion.
TheEdge U2JT is offline  
Old 09-07-2008, 07:27 PM   #464
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge U2JT View Post
Please dont mistake a debate about things like the treatment of Sarah Palin and the rumors that are flying, as any kind of personal attack for me. Not the case. I respect your opinion.
I am glad you don't wish to make the debate personal, but when you say things like this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge U2JT View Post
The public should and will seek more info but rumors about her child, affairs, being a Nazi supported, a Buchanan supporter, she cut funding for unwed mothers, she's anit-semitic....on and on.....that is not vetting. It IS liberal bloggers that have started these vicious lies. If you want to bury your head in the sand on it, fine. Its not like I think any of you are really willing to see her qualifications and know the truth. It seems you are wringing you hands in hope and excitement that this crap might be true. Give it up. You can call me paranoid but the reactions of several of you on here just makes me laugh. Its clear the I hit a nerve with you.
If you're hitting a nerve, I think it may be because you're taking an extremely personalized and angry-sounding tack here about defending your preferred candidates from 'liberal bloggers that have started these vicious lies'. Three of the six rumors you listed above are one and the same (Nazi supporter/Buchanan supporter/anti-Semitic), which was shot down immediately (from 'the left') as soon as it appeared in here; I don't recall anyone here speculating about 'affairs'; and the 'funding cut for unwed mothers' was immediately skeptically questioned (again, from the left) as soon as it was posted in here, too. To treat it as a foregone conclusion that that list is some sort of sinister emblem of what people in here must be 'wringing their hands in hope and excitement' over does make you sound like you're taking this all a bit too personally, yes. You don't need to demonize your opponents to rebut their debating points.
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
Old 09-07-2008, 07:33 PM   #465
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 05:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge U2JT View Post
but it did seemed that everyone in here were big enough boys and girls to have a rational debate about this election.
That's great, I would love to have a rational debate, but when someone comes in with "left" this "liberal" that, posting bullshit videos, attacking the forum as a whole it doesn't come off as rational.
BVS is offline  
Old 09-07-2008, 07:35 PM   #466
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
I am glad you don't wish to make the debate personal, but when you say things like this...

If you're hitting a nerve, I think it may be because you're taking an extremely personalized and angry-sounding tack here about defending your preferred candidates from 'liberal bloggers that have started these vicious lies'. Three of the six rumors you listed above are one and the same (Nazi supporter/Buchanan supporter/anti-Semitic), which was shot down immediately (from 'the left') as soon as it appeared in here; I don't recall anyone here speculating about 'affairs'; and the 'funding cut for unwed mothers' was immediately skeptically questioned (again, from the left) as soon as it was posted in here, too. To treat it as a foregone conclusion that that list is some sort of sinister emblem of what people in here are 'wringing their hands in hope and excitement' over does make you sound like you're taking this all a bit too personally, yes. You don't need to demonize your opponents to rebut their debating points.

Are you posting as moderator here?
financeguy is offline  
Old 09-07-2008, 07:37 PM   #467
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 05:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
BVS, you are not representative of the FYM community at large. If you choose to believe that you are, then you are deluding yourself.
I'm not sure what you are talking about, I never claimed to be representative of FYM, my point is he's doing what you often do and address FYM as if it's one collective and attacking it as a whole.
BVS is offline  
Old 09-07-2008, 07:38 PM   #468
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
That's great, I would love to have a rational debate, but when someone comes in with "left" this "liberal" that, posting bullshit videos, attacking the forum as a whole it doesn't come off as rational.
You've already made your point, no need to keep piling on.
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
Old 09-07-2008, 07:39 PM   #469
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Are you posting as moderator here?
If you've got a beef with my post go ahead and articulate it.
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
Old 09-07-2008, 07:42 PM   #470
Blue Crack Distributor
 
VintagePunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a dry and waterless place
Posts: 55,738
Local Time: 05:09 AM
Given the amount of related reading I've done in the past week, I'll be the first to admit that the left has its fair share of nutters and conspiracy theorists who really want to believe the worst about Palin. There are also some very valid criticisms of her out there, as well.

However, I think most Dems in here are much more reasoned and fair-minded than your general internet crazies. The truth is an admirable goal, in all this, for both sides. How people decide to interpret that truth is up to them.
VintagePunk is offline  
Old 09-07-2008, 07:44 PM   #471
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
Given the amount of related reading I've done in the past week, I'll be the first to admit that the left has its fair share of nutters and conspiracy theorists who really want to believe the worst about Palin.

financeguy is offline  
Old 09-07-2008, 07:46 PM   #472
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
If you've got a beef with my post go ahead and articulate it.
Well, my beef is, there's been a couple of the left leaning posters over the last few days that have come out with stuff every bit as partisan as what The Edge said, and I didn't see you admonishing them.

Granted, it's unreasonable to ask you moderate us 24 hours a day.
financeguy is offline  
Old 09-07-2008, 07:46 PM   #473
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,663
Local Time: 05:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge U2JT View Post
I'm sorry if I said something to offend you. That is not at all my point. Please dont mistake a debate about things like the treatment of Sarah Palin and the rumors that are flying, as any kind of personal attack for me. Not the case. I respect your opinion.
I will give you the benefit on the doubt on this, and do hope that we can have rational, fair discussions/debates in here. However, I'm sure you aware that saying such things as "I feel sorry for you, I really do" and that I'm "blinded by liberalism and my hatred of conservatism" certainly doesn't indicate much respect for my opinion.
Diemen is offline  
Old 09-07-2008, 07:48 PM   #474
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Se7en's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: all around in the dark - everywhere
Posts: 3,531
Local Time: 05:09 AM
crys

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
However, I think most Dems in here are much more reasoned and fair-minded than your general internet crazies. The truth is an admirable goal, in all this, for both sides. How people decide to interpret that truth is up to them.
what about those of us who aren't democrats.

internet crazies?
Se7en is offline  
Old 09-07-2008, 07:50 PM   #475
War Child
 
TheEdge U2JT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: In a house filled with boys, guitars, pets and a lot of love!
Posts: 947
Local Time: 02:09 AM
1. Step back a read what I said about sarcasm. Sheesh, all a bit too sensitive.

2. The 3 were tied to the Buchanan visit. The the point was to show how one thing gets taken to extremes. Wearing a campaign button as a friendly gesture at at rally in Alaska and next thing you know, Sarah Palin hate Jews.

3. I know what are the things that have been discussed here. With the affair and the funding for unwed mothers I was trying to show the range of garbage that is being thrown at Palin in these various rumors. A few people have even said they had not heard some of these rumors. This is the crap that is out there and it is uncalled for.

Question her on earmarks. Obama did just that today

“When you’ve been taking all these earmarks when it is convenient and then suddenly you are the champion anti-earmark person, that’s not change. Come on! I mean, words mean something. You can’t just make stuff up,”

and she shot back

“Today our opponent brought up earmarks and frankly I was surprised that he raised the subject. I didn’t think he’d want to go there,” she said. “Our opponent has requested nearly one billion dollars in earmarks in just three years…about a million dollars for every working day. Just wait until President John McCain puts a stop to that.”

Question her on the bridge...

but be willing to actually hear the answers and not just jump to conclusions. It seems everything is being accepted as fact rather that, "I'd like to know more about xxxx."
TheEdge U2JT is offline  
Old 09-07-2008, 07:58 PM   #476
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Well, my beef is, there's been a couple of the left leaning posters over the last few days that have come out with stuff every bit as partisan as what The Edge said, and I didn't see you admonishing them.

Granted, it's unreasonable to ask you moderate us 24 hours a day.
I would hope no one thinks my point--namely, that projecting responsibility for promoting unfounded rumors onto people who don't subscribe to them to begin with comes across as demonizing--applies only to conservatives, because it obviously doesn't. I don't know which posts you have in mind, and no, I haven't read all of them closely; these threads move really fast. I know there've been some generally snide posts from both sides but snarkiness as such is not what I'm talking about here.
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
Old 09-07-2008, 08:04 PM   #477
Blue Crack Distributor
 
VintagePunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a dry and waterless place
Posts: 55,738
Local Time: 05:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7en View Post
what about those of us who aren't democrats.

internet crazies?
I was just responding to my observations of the differences between some democrats on other sites, and the ones in here, that's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge U2JT View Post

3. I know what are the things that have been discussed here. With the affair and the funding for unwed mothers I was trying to show the range of garbage that is being thrown at Palin in these various rumors. A few people have even said they had not heard some of these rumors. This is the crap that is out there and it is uncalled for.
I and a few others have commented on these things. The purported affair - I read from what strikes me as a fairly reliable source that the attempt to cover up of the business partner's divorce file wasn't due to an affair, but instead because his former wife was dating a Palin advisor, who later got fired (hmm, this firing thing is almost becoming a pattern, isn't it?). I also posted about the funding cuts. Someone else posted, refuting it, and not knowing that much about calculating state budgets, and frankly, being too lazy to look into it further, I accepted their word. I also posted the night before she announced Bristol's pregnancy that there was nothing to the rumour she didn't give birth to Trig, and that the real story was that her daughter is pregnant. We're not all out for blood, here. Just honesty.

Quote:
Question her on earmarks. Obama did just that today

“When you’ve been taking all these earmarks when it is convenient and then suddenly you are the champion anti-earmark person, that’s not change. Come on! I mean, words mean something. You can’t just make stuff up,”

and she shot back

“Today our opponent brought up earmarks and frankly I was surprised that he raised the subject. I didn’t think he’d want to go there,” she said. “Our opponent has requested nearly one billion dollars in earmarks in just three years…about a million dollars for every working day. Just wait until President John McCain puts a stop to that.”

Question her on the bridge...

but be willing to actually hear the answers and not just jump to conclusions. It seems everything is being accepted as fact rather that, "I'd like to know more about xxxx."
The difference here is that he's not basing his campaign on being a non-earmark politician, whereas she's making false claims that that's the kind of politician she is. But how Republican of her to shift focus away from herself and back on to Obama, though. She's a quick study.
VintagePunk is offline  
Old 09-07-2008, 08:05 PM   #478
ONE
love, blood, life
 
namkcuR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 10,726
Local Time: 06:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge U2JT View Post
Question her on earmarks. Obama did just that today

“When you’ve been taking all these earmarks when it is convenient and then suddenly you are the champion anti-earmark person, that’s not change. Come on! I mean, words mean something. You can’t just make stuff up,”

and she shot back

“Today our opponent brought up earmarks and frankly I was surprised that he raised the subject. I didn’t think he’d want to go there,” she said. “Our opponent has requested nearly one billion dollars in earmarks in just three years…about a million dollars for every working day. Just wait until President John McCain puts a stop to that.”
But don't you see how she didn't address what Obama was saying? Obama was NOT criticizing her for use of earmarks. He was criticizing her saying that she DIDN'T use them and then using them. The hypocrisy. That's what it's about. Obama has never claimed that he hasn't used earmarks. If Palin was using earmarks but she had never claimed that she wasn't, there wouldn't be an issue. But she didn't address her own hypocrisy at all, she just attacked him instead.
namkcuR is offline  
Old 09-07-2008, 08:16 PM   #479
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,395
Local Time: 06:09 AM
i think Sarah Palin could bring peace to FYM if she would actually talk to the press.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 09-07-2008, 08:29 PM   #480
ONE
love, blood, life
 
namkcuR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 10,726
Local Time: 06:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i think Sarah Palin could bring peace to FYM if she would actually talk to the press.
She is scheduled to do an interview with Charles Gibson at the end of the week.

Gibson has appeared to be a conservative more and more lately, though.
__________________

namkcuR is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×