Is Palin failin' ? or OMG McCain wins with Palin !! pt. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But don't you see how she didn't address what Obama was saying? Obama was NOT criticizing her for use of earmarks. He was criticizing her saying that she DIDN'T use them and then using them. The hypocrisy. That's what it's about. Obama has never claimed that he hasn't used earmarks. If Palin was using earmarks but she had never claimed that she wasn't, there wouldn't be an issue. But she didn't address her own hypocrisy at all, she just attacked him instead.

She is supporting the agenda of the ticket that she joined. She said in her State of the State this past Jan that Alaska, "could not and must not relay so heavily on earmarks." Fact is, they are not illegal. They are used by many and have been used by Palin in Alaska as well as both on the Obama ticket. McCain wants to change that. His record is consistent with that position. She is supporting McCain's plan and I believe that it can be argued that her statement in Jan shows her desire was to try to move Alaska toward less reliance on them.

I dont know the exact records regarding the earmarks for any of the other top GOP VP candidates, but I would not be shocked if they all would be in the same position as Palin. That is why the State of the State address, IMO, is important. She'll still be criticized but it's better than having never said anything about cutting them.

She is scheduled to do an interview with Charles Gibson at the end of the week.

Gibson has appeared to be a conservative more and more lately, though.

thank goodness.

it will only have been more than 2 weeks. it's unprecedented in modern political history.

Fusing Politics and Motherhood in a New Way

By JODI KANTOR, KATE ZERNIKE and CATRIN EINHORN
New York Times, September 7

Sarah Palin’s baby shower included a surprise guest: her own baby. He had arrived in the world a month early, so on a sunny May day, Ms. Palin, the governor of Alaska, rocked her newborn as her closest friends, sisters, even her obstetrician presented her with a potluck meal, presents and blue-and-white cake. Most had learned that Ms. Palin was pregnant only a few weeks before. Struggling to accept that her child would be born with Down syndrome and fearful of public criticism of a governor’s pregnancy, Ms. Palin had concealed the news that she was expecting even from her parents and children until her third trimester.
Since that day, Trig Paxson Van Palin, still only 143 days old, has had an unexpected effect on his mother’s political fortunes. Before her son was born, Ms. Palin went to extraordinary lengths to ensure that his arrival would not compromise her work. She hid the pregnancy. She traveled to Texas a month before her due date to give an important speech, delivering it even though her amniotic fluid was leaking. Three days after giving birth, she returned to work. But with Trig in her arms, Ms. Palin has risen higher than ever. Senator John McCain, the Republican nominee for president, says he selected her as his running mate because of her image as a reformer, but she is also making motherhood an explicit part of her appeal, running as a self-proclaimed hockey mom. In just a few months, she has gone from hiding her pregnancy from those closest to her to toting her infant on stage at the Republican National Convention.

No one has ever tried to combine presidential politics and motherhood in quite the way Ms. Palin is doing, and it is no simple task. In the last week, the criticism she feared in Alaska has exploded into a national debate. On blogs and at PTA meetings, voters alternately cheer and fault her balancing act, and although many are thrilled to see a child with special needs in the spotlight, some accuse her of exploiting Trig for political gain.
The governor, thin to begin with, began an elaborate game of fashion-assisted camouflage. When Vogue photographed her, five months pregnant, for a profile in January, she hid in a big green parka. At work, she wore long, loose blazers and artfully draped accessories. “All of a sudden she had this penchant for really beautiful scarves,” recalled Angelina Burney, who works across the hallway from the governor in Anchorage.

As Ms. Palin’s clothes grew tighter, Alaskans began to talk. She told several aides that she was pregnant, and a week or so later, her parents and her children, who called other relatives. On March 5, as she was leaving her office for a reception, she shared the news with three reporters...The next day, her office issued a minimalist masterpiece of a press release, conveying the news in three curt sentences.
In mid-April, Ms. Palin and her husband flew to Texas for an energy conference with fellow Republican governors. Days before, Ms. Palin, a little-known governor from a faraway state, was asked to speak to her peers. Around 4 a.m. on the day of her presentation, Ms. Palin stirred in her hotel room to an unusual sensation. According to The Anchorage Daily News, she was leaking amniotic fluid. She woke her husband and called her doctor back home. Go ahead and give the speech, said the doctor, Cathy Baldwin-Johnson, who declined to comment for this article.
Ms. Palin was not in labor, and her doctor thought she had time. So the governor flew to Seattle, continued to Anchorage and then drove to a small hospital near her hometown, Wasilla — a journey of at least 10 hours.
Inside Ms. Palin’s room, her daughter Willow, 14, immediately noticed her new brother’s condition, according to People magazine. “He looks like he has Down syndrome,” Willow said. “Why didn’t you tell us?”

Ms. Palin had wanted to let the news of the pregnancy sink in first, said Ms. Cole, her friend. She had intended to tell her family more after she returned from Texas. Then the baby arrived.
Ms. Palin’s three-day maternity leave has now become legend among mothers. But aides say she eased back into work, first stopping by her office in Anchorage for a meeting, bringing not only the baby but also her husband to look after him...Todd Palin took a leave from his job as an oil field production operator, and campaign aides said he was doing the same now.

At her baby shower, Ms. Palin joked about her months of secrecy, Ms. Lane said. “About the seventh month I thought I’d better let people know,” Ms. Palin said.

I think that part was a joke, though their children do all have unusual names.

I think that part was a joke, though their children do all have unusual names.

Actually, the way it is described, I would not be surprised if it was a second middle name. If I ever have children, I'm actually going to be tempted to give them four. :wink:

Pastor: GOP may be downplaying Palin's religious beliefsStory Highlights
Sarah Palin belonged to Pentecostal church for more than two decades until 2002

Campaign: Palin is deeply religious, doesn't consider herself Pentecostal

Pastor: Issues of belief could be misunderstood, played upon by people

Speaking of the troops in Iraq, Palin says they were sent on "task that is from God"

Next Article in Politics »

By Randi Kaye
AC360° Contributor

WASILLA, Alaska (CNN) -- For more than two decades, current Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin was a practicing Pentecostal.

Sarah Palin asked church members to pray for $30 billion natural gas pipeline in Alaska.

She belonged to the Wasilla Assembly of God church in her hometown of Wasilla, Alaska. But though she attended the church from her teenage years through to 2002, she hasn't talked much about her religion since joining the Republican ticket.

Palin's former pastor, Tim McGraw, says that like many Pentecostal churches, some members speak in tongues, although he says he's never seen Palin do so. Church member Caroline Spangler told CNN, "When the spirit comes on you, you utter things that nobody else can understand ... only God can understand what is coming out of our mouths."
Some Pentecostals from Assembly of God also believe in "faith healing" and the "end times" -- a violent upheaval that they believe will deliver Jesus Christ's second coming.

"Our basic belief is that God is God and he knows where history is going and he has a purposeful plan and within the middle of that plan we live in an environment in our world where certain events would take place," says McGraw. "Sarah wasn't taught to look for one particular sign -- a cataclysmic sign. She knew as every Christian does ... that God is sovereign and he is in control."

The McCain campaign says the Governor doesn't consider herself Pentecostal.

McGraw says Palin's Pentecostal roots may be being downplayed for a reason: "I think there may be issues of belief that could be misunderstood or played upon by people that don't know."

When asked by CNN about Palin's beliefs, campaign spokeswoman Meghan Stapleton would only say the Republican vice presidential candidate has "deep religious convictions."

But how might her religious beliefs impact policy in Washington if the Republican ticket is successful?

Palin's former pastor says he has no doubt her religious beliefs will influence her decision making when it comes to government policy. Regarding her desire to build an Alaskan pipeline and explore for oil in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, McGraw told CNN, "Sarah knows that in Genesis, God creates the world and it's very good and that we're supposed to be caretakers in terms of not destroying the environment, so there's no way that Sarah is going to exploit or damage the Alaska tundra in the name of getting gas if she doesn't have to."

Six years ago, Palin left Assembly of God to join the non-denominational Wasilla Bible Church. But the Assembly of God says she still returns for special conferences and events, such as the graduation of ministry students in June. Video of a speech she gave at the church just two months before joining the Republican ticket is making the rounds on the Internet.

Speaking of the troops in Iraq, Palin says on the video, ""Pray for our military men and women who are striving do to what is right. Also for this country, that our leaders, our national leaders, are sending them out on a task that is from God. That's what we have to make sure that we're praying for -- that there is a plan, and that plan is God's plan."

Her campaign says she doesn't mix her faith with government business. But Palin did ask her audience to pray for $30 billion natural gas pipeline she is on a mission to build in Alaska. In the video Palin says, "I think God's will has to be done in unifying people and companies to get that gas pipeline built. So pray for that ... I can do my job there in developing my natural resources. But all of that doesn't do any good if the people of Alaska's heart is not good with God."
McGraw, who was her pastor until 1998 and while she was mayor of Wasilla, says Palin attended discipleship classes to strengthen her Pentecostal faith and that he counseled her on how to become a better leader.

"Everyone has a way of viewing the world and Sarah does too and hers would be shaped by the common sense practicality of how she's been shaped by the bible -- which is basically the world view that says God loves people, people can access him and he's given us wisdom for living," says McGraw.

He says Alaska has already seen Palin's faith play out. As governor she passed ethics reform and took on what she's referred to as a "good-ol'-boys network." However, she has said she would not seek to impose her religious views on others.

"I think one of the most obvious ways it plays out is what you've seen -- is being courageous enough to deal with deception and corruption," says McGraw.

Palin now attends the Wasilla Bible Church. She was there on August 17, just days before entering the national spotlight. David Brickner, the founder of Jews for Jesus, was a speaker. He told congregants that terrorist attacks on Israel were God's "judgment" of Jews who haven't embraced Christianity. Brickner said, "Judgment is very real and we see it played out on the pages of the newspapers and on the television. When a Palestinian from East Jerusalem took a bulldozer and went plowing through a score of cars, killing numbers of people. Judgment -- you can't miss it."

The McCain campaign says his comments do not reflect her religious views. Palin's spokeswoman says she is pro-Israel.

Pastor Ed Kalnin, the senior pastor of Palin's former Pentecostal church, has also come under fire for his comments. In 2004, he told church members if they voted for John Kerry for president, they wouldn't get into heaven. He told them, "I question your salvation."

Assembly of God issued a statement online in response which said Kalnin was "joking" when he suggested "Kerry supporters would go to hell," and statement went on to say, "We do acknowledge in hindsight that it was careless, and we do apologize for that. This statement is not written as a defense, but as a clarification."

Palin has done little while in office to advance a social conservative agenda. She told the Associated Press in an interview in 2006 that she would not allow her personal beliefs to dictate public policy.

"I've honestly answered the questions on what my personal views are on things like abortion and a lot of controversial issues," Palin told the Associated Press. "I won't hesitate to answer those questions about what my personal views are, but I am not one to be out there preaching and forcing my views on anyone else."

She is supporting the agenda of the ticket that she joined. She said in her State of the State this past Jan that Alaska, "could not and must not relay so heavily on earmarks." Fact is, they are not illegal. They are used by many and have been used by Palin in Alaska as well as both on the Obama ticket. McCain wants to change that. His record is consistent with that position. She is supporting McCain's plan and I believe that it can be argued that her statement in Jan shows her desire was to try to move Alaska toward less reliance on them.

I dont know the exact records regarding the earmarks for any of the other top GOP VP candidates, but I would not be shocked if they all would be in the same position as Palin. That is why the State of the State address, IMO, is important. She'll still be criticized but it's better than having never said anything about cutting them.

I didn't know about that quote, but I think the burden should be on Palin (or, I guess, you) to show that after her January "awakening" WRT earmarks she actually did reduce requests for federal funds from the D.C delegation. Because it's easy to talk about cutting earmarks in the abstract, but a lot different to stand in front of someone and say "no, your request is useless, pay for it yourself".

Is Sarah Palin qualified to be vice-president or president?

Of coarse, unless some shaky amature video of her calling someone "a macaca" turns up.

Is Sarah Palin qualified to be vice-president or president?

Of coarse, unless some shaky amature video of her calling someone "a macaca" turns up.

far be it from me to start any rumors, but people can read for themselves if they google "sambo beat the bitch."

and being "qualified" misses what has become the issue -- is she prepared?

far be it from me to start any rumors, but people can read for themselves if they google "sambo beat the bitch."

Wow. I sense desperation, and stuff like this is despicable. I'll wait until I get a last name of the waitress, a restaurant name, a date, and some witnesses before I even begin to take this as fact, though I'll love seeing the Kos run with this.

Funny how these are the same people who never stop complaining about swiftboating...

and being "qualified" misses what has become the issue -- is she prepared?

What do you think the odds are that any part of this story is true?

This is how Republican Vice Presidential nominee Sarah Palin described Barack Obama’s win over Hillary Clinton to political colleagues in a restaurant a few days after Obama locked up the Democratic Party presidential nomination.
According to Lucille, the waitress serving her table at the time and who asked that her last name not be used, Gov. Palin was eating lunch with five or six people when the subject of the Democrat’s primary battle came up. The governor, seemingly not caring that people at nearby tables would likely hear her, uttered the slur and then laughed loudly as her meal mates joined in appreciatively.

“It was kind of disgusting,” Lucille, who is part Aboriginal, said in a phone interview after admitting that she is frightened of being discovered telling folks in the “lower 48” about life near the North Pole.
Then, almost with a sigh, she added, “But that’s just Alaska.”

Racial and ethnic slurs may be “just Alaska” and, clearly, they are common, everyday chatter for Palin.
Besides insulting Obama with a Step-N’-Fetch-It, “darkie musical” swipe, people who know her say she refers regularly to Alaska’s Aboriginal people as “Arctic Arabs” – how efficient, lumping two apparently undesirable groups into one ugly description – as well as the more colourful “mukluks” along with the totally unimaginative “f**king Eskimo’s,” according to a number of Alaskans and Wasillians interviewed for this article.

But being openly racist is only the tip of the Palin iceberg. According to Alaskans interviewed for this article, she is also vindictive and mean. We’re talking Rove mean and Nixon vindictive.

^I find those quotes hard to believe and doubt highly they are true and came from the mouth of Sarah Palin. Her own husband Todd is part Eskimo, so why would she resort to using references to "f*ing Eskimos"? This is just the kind of slanted views and untrue crap that gets reported as having been "allegedly" said or overheard and is repeated and twisted all around in an effort to smear a candidate. Pretty sad.

You can already call it false- it's too "perfect"ly derogatory and there's no evidence of any kind.

It would be a useful test case to see if it spreads. Especially compared to the similar "whitey" video rumor.

^I find those quotes hard to believe and doubt highly they are true and came from the mouth of Sarah Palin. Her own husband Todd is part Eskimo, so why would she resort to using references to "f*ing Eskimos"? This is just the kind of slanted views and untrue crap that gets reported as having been "allegedly" said or overheard and is repeated and twisted all around in an effort to smear a candidate. Pretty sad.

You can already call it false- it's too "perfect"ly derogatory and there's no evidence of any kind.

It would be a useful test case to see if it spreads. Especially compared to the similar "whitey" video rumor.

So if the fabricator had not over loaded it,
then the story could have been considered credible?

So if the fabricator had not over loaded it,
then the story could have been considered credible?

How pedantic. You have a very poor opinion of me!

I hope the use of the word "and" is read as describing two independent statements, both of which make the case that this rumor is self-evidently false.

the similar "whitey" video rumor.
And like that one, probably meant to exploit the readiness of certain segments of the electorate to stereotype other segments as scary, hateful boneheads--the Angry Black Person who hates white people and can't wait 'til they get enough power to stab them in the back, or in this case the dumb Alaskan redneck whose "common, everyday chatter" is a stream of racial slurs.

Last edited:
How pedantic. You have a very poor opinion of me!

I hope the use of the word "and" is read as describing two independent statements, both of which make the case that this rumor is self-evidently false.

It was not directed at you personally, I also quoted Carek1230.

I think we should all be skeptical of everything we see and hear until it has been thoroughly sourced.

I never believed the Michelle Obama "Whitey" video for any length of time at all.

If someone said an aide that had worked for Palin said she overheard Palin say "So Sambo beat the Bitch". And she would take a lie detector. This story probably would have longer legs.

How many people actually believe McCain called his wife a c*nt?

It seems many people that post in here do.

And it is as true as the Michelle "Whitey" video.

Well the media is finally doing its job.

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin has billed taxpayers for 312 nights spent in her own home during her first 19 months in office, charging a "per diem" allowance intended to cover meals and incidental expenses while traveling on state business.

The governor also has charged the state for travel expenses to take her children on official out-of-town missions. And her husband, Todd, has billed the state for expenses and a daily allowance for trips he makes on official business for his wife.

washingtonpost.com

Then the librul bastion known as the Wall Street Journal wrote a massive article basically calling her and McCain liars re: bridge to nowhere.

At a rally today, Sen. McCain again asserted that Sen. Obama has requested nearly a billion in earmarks. In fact, the Illinois senator requested $311 million last year, according to the Associated Press, and none this year. In comparison, Gov. Palin has requested $750 million in her two years as governor -- which the AP says is the largest per-capita request in the nation.

Gov. Palin's claim comes with a serious caveat. She endorsed the multimillion dollar project during her gubernatorial race in 2006. And while she did take part in stopping the project after it became a national scandal, she did not return the federal money. She just allocated it elsewhere.

The New Republic called it a "naked lie."

Newsweek and AP are pretty much reporting the same thing.

Didn't Obama and Biden vote for the bridge to nowhere?

I'm not sure if they did or not, but that's not the point. It's McCain and Palin who are talking about earmarks and the Bridge to Nowhere, not Obama or Biden. So their hypocrisy is relevant here.

I'd love a study to see if there's a correlation between poll results and frequency of media coverage. As it stands, I think it is fair to say that our media has ADHD, where substantive issues are "boring," and the GOP is just the kind of non-stop circus that they crave.

I think we should start keeping track of headlines from the mainstream news websites that make any specific mention of the candidates or their spouses.

CNN.com

Pastor: GOP downplays Palin's Pentecostal past
Palin's 'faith has become an issue'
'View' co-host takes swipe at Mrs. Obama
Men's support gives Palin edge in latest poll
Palin shoves Biden out of the spotlight

FOXNews.com

Obama: McCain, Palin 'Lying' About Maverick Claims

MSNBC.com

Palin's expenses scrutinized
NYT: Missing public funds, Obama prods donors
McCain, Obama spar on the trail

Can you think of anymore mainsteam U.S.-based news websites? Blogs or partisan news sites (WorldNetDaily, etc.) are to be excluded.

abcnews.go.com:

Obama Confronts Obama-like Phenomenon
Confidence in Palin? Rice Doesn't Say
With Friends Like These: Palin Pals Unsure
Obama, McCain Tax Plans Differ Sharply
Obama, McCain To Make Joint 9/11 Visit

From Politico.com (a very good website I say.)

» Obama ties McCain to 'ideologues'
» Obama camp briefs McCain press corps
» Obama, Biden pound on the economy
» Obama revives anti-Kerry line
» McCain surges off convention bounce
» Woodward: Bush tried locking in strategy
» Moore's 'Slacker Uprising' hits the Web
» Lobbyist launches clothing line
» Sarah Palin has yet to meet the press
» Murphy, Juno, Jamie Lynn and Bristol
» Smile! You’re in PoliWood
» Palin is thrown into media major league

From Politico.com (a very good website I say.)

The only thing I'd debate is whether it is mainstream enough, thus not having much of an impact on the opinions of "ordinary people," who do not go out of their way to research the candidates.

I agree but let them keep it up. Its pretty clear that these kind on attacks are backfiring and only serving to bring more people to the side of McCain/Palin. It's a sign of desperation. They will try to downplay her experience. They ignore her accomplishments and continue to refer to her as a mayor of a city of 9000. They say she is a gimmick to get votes. They can lie about her all they want but he effect on the Republican ticket is obvious. National polls are up for McCain. They are in a tight race in several key states., They have widened their lead in OH.

Time will tell but these baseless attacks by KoS and the like will not help their guy if they keep it up. Especially with the level to which they have stooped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom