Is it possible for any human being to stay celibate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are asexual people out there who are not interested in sex at all. I think i read that 1 out of every 100 people are asexual, so it is possible.

Plus some people are just strong enough.

Moonlit_Angel said:
If people want to be celibate, that's entirely up to them.

If people don't want to be, that's fine, too. It's all a personal choice thing.

Angela

But the urges have to be intense. Human beings are made to have sex. It's our nature. I can't stay celibate for one day. It's not possible. I have tried. But I just can't stay celibate for one day.

Orgasms are wonderful but its entirely possible to live a very happy life without them. Some people are perfectly content living a celibate life, whether its a conscious choice not to have sex or they simply aren't interested.

I really don't think most people are at the mercy of their sexual urges to a point where celibacy is impossible.

Windmilllane said:
How can anybody not want to feel the pleasure of sex? An orgasm is the greatest physical feeling.

Just because people don't have sex doesn't mean they don't want to. And I've had some pretty damn good back massages!

Anyway, to prove my point, first I have to admit that I'm a closet MTV junkie and religiously watch every season of Real World.

Currently, there's this girl Lacey and her boyfriend is paralyzed from the waist down. On this week's show, she was thinking out loud about how much she cares for him and wants to stay together regardless of his condition and how people think she's a freak because she's a virgin and would never be able to have sex. She didn't really seem to care. It's not that she doesn't WANT to have sex, but that she's happy with her relationship and doesn't find sex to be a good enough reason to give that up. Sounds alright to me.

U2democrat said:
i've been celibate for the past over 18 years

I've been so for 20 years.

Originally posted by Windmilllane
But the urges have to be intense. Human beings are made to have sex. It's our nature. I can't stay celibate for one day. It's not possible. I have tried. But I just can't stay celibate for one day.

Well, some people are just able to control it better than others. Sex is indeed a natural action, yes, but some people just somehow manage to do it. I don't know how, but they just do. And I don't know if you can fight nature forever, but then again, who knows :shrug:.

Angela

Windmilllane said:

Human beings are made to have sex. It's our nature. I can't stay celibate for one day. It's not possible. I have tried. But I just can't stay celibate for one day.

Gymnasts are made to do the splits. It's our nature. I can't do the splits so it's just not possible, I've tried.

:|

That's a sorry comparison. Being able to do the splits is something that can be trained over time. Tendons build flexibility, all that stuff.

The desire to have sex is hardwired into every gene in our bodies.

U2democrat said:
Exactly. Sex isn't EVERYTHING.

Of course, Sex is everything. You look around, and there is sex everywhere. On TV, magazines, at the workplace and school (where people dress provacatively). You can't get away from it.

DaveC said:
That's a sorry comparison. Being able to do the splits is something that can be trained over time. Tendons build flexibility, all that stuff.

And this is coming from a guy who gets constant hand jobs.

:up:

DaveC said:

Yes, but sometimes there are a few people that deviate from the norm, for one reason or another they lack sexual urges. That may not be natural for humankind, but it would be natural for an individual human. Perhaps it can be explained by a biological abnormality, I have no idea.

Also, things like depression, menopause, illness, can lessen, if not totally iraticate sex drive.

I think it's fair to say that a lot of people would find it difficult to stay celibate for life, but that's different from saying it's absolutely impossible.

Bono's shades said:
I think it's fair to say that a lot of people would find it difficult to stay celibate for life, but that's different from saying it's absolutely impossible.

Exactly.

Difficult, yes. Impossible, no.

Windmilllane said:

Of course, Sex is everything. You look around, and there is sex everywhere. On TV, magazines, at the workplace and school (where people dress provacatively). You can't get away from it.

I think you could get away from it in Amish Country.

I would agree with people that it is difficult but not impossible to remain celebate. While doing so is not increasing the genetic variance of the population, it does show an immense inner strength.

I'm almost completely asexual so I think it's possible. I really don't find either sex particularly attractive, and I don't find myself really thinking about sexual things all that much.

BTW, thanks U2Democrat for bringing up the asexuality issue. A lot of people think it's something physical about your body, and it's not. It's like being gay or straight.

i think that celibacy is possible if people are doing it for the right reasons. if it is voluntary, not, say, a requirement of the priesthood.

i think that before you have sex, it's easier to remain celibate because you simply don't know that you are missing. of course, some people have bad experiences, but usually if you do it more than once, or have the right partner, there is a feeling of connectedness that an orgasm is incidental to. of course everyone enjoys an orgasm, but the older i get the less i'm in pursuit of the orgasm and the more i'm in pursuit of the more holistic, the physical and the spiritual, the feeling of closeness. that, for me, would be absolutely impossible to give up since i have felt loved, physically, and it's the best feeling i can think of, and as the world gets tougher, darker, more demanding, i find that what i crave is not the sensation of sex but the intimacy that only sex combined with trust and ideally love can bring.

so, no, i could never be celibate. i'd feel less human.

Windmilllane said:
I can't stay celibate for one day. It's not possible. I have tried. But I just can't stay celibate for one day.

Well the vast majority of people can stay celibate for a day or two or whatever. I'd say in this instance that you are the exception to the rule.

Back
Top Bottom