Is God against religions that practice idol worship?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is God against religions that practice id

U2DMfan said:

I have the revised standard version, which I believe is much more trustworthy than the King James Version which has been picked apart by many biblical scholars to have numerous translation errors, do a google search if any of you wish to read more about these problems.

I use the New King James Version, which is also considered one of the most accurate. But you're right, the RSV is very well-respected and it does have end quotes after verse 15.

I just checked, and the following versions have no end quotes after verse 15. According to these versions, Jesus spoke the entire discourse in John 3:10-21:

King James,
New King James,
Holman,
New International Version
National American Standard Bible
New Living Translation
The Message

Last edited:
verte said:
For the record "Allah" is simply the Arabic word for God. You wouldn't expect someone whose first language is Arabic to use the English "God"? The French use dieu, the Germans use Gott, other people use their own language. Even some Arabic Christians refer to the Christian God as "Allah", according to some Arabic Christians on a listserver I'm on. It's a language thing, not necessarily a Christian or Muslim thing.

Verte, it is more than just the Arabic word.

I have often heard the Muslim prayer "There is no God but Allah...."

It is the Muslim concept of God.

But isn't the Muslim concept of God still the same God, so to speak, as the Judeo-Christian God? Being that they have the Abraham story, they believe in Jesus (not as the Messiah, granted, but as a great prophet)...

I'm not being argumentative; I'm truly asking.

pax said:
But isn't the Muslim concept of God still the same God, so to speak, as the Judeo-Christian God? Being that they have the Abraham story, they believe in Jesus (not as the Messiah, granted, but as a great prophet)...

I think this is a propoganda... To be honest , I dont know this but by the looks of it it looks like a propoganda.

As an agnostic, I find the rational objective evidence for the existence of the Christian (or any other) God unconvincing.

One point I would make: overly literal interpretations of the Bible I consider to be inherently dangerous. For example, there is a passage in the Old Testament that says if your son consistently misbehaves, you should take him to the city gates and ask the town elders to stone him to death.

So, who decides what Bible passages are infallible and what should be discarded/ignored or watered down?

AcrobatMan said:

Tell me if the below makes any sense

"Is God against religions that believes in celebration of Christmas ?"

Plain joke isnt it ...Do you want to discuss it..
It can make sense. My answer would be no, I don't believe God is against that. And if I had to, I would back that comment up.

AcrobatMan said:
I have found this thread offensive as it is targetting a group of religions which believe in idol worship.

This thread is intended to tell that ...hey this religion is better than that...and whether God favors members of some particular religions as against other religions...
FYM is a place where we are free to discuss ideas, being political, spiritual, etc. If it's offensive, I'm sorry, but those who post such ideas have every right to do so. You can't strip anyone of the belief in one true faith, so why bother.

AcrobatMan said:
And when I tell this ..I am accused of talking non-sense..

Just because I believe that all people - religious and non-religious...are equal...no religion is better than other... You think
this is an invalid comment...

And excuse me..I am not harassing anyone.
I was wondering why you bothered to criticize the thread and the discussion, and call it "a joke." Believe it or not, there are people in this world who take their beliefs seriously, equally as serious as you take your own. All I ask is a little more respect for those who differ from you.

Allah is COMPLETELY different than the God of the Bible, as anyone who knows anything about Muslim faith could see.

The faith of the Muslims is completely different, as you can see from his commandments.

pax said:

I'm not being argumentative; I'm truly asking.

While there are many similarities, there are many differences as well. The differences are significant enough to establish that the two religions are not talking about the same Person.

As you point out, Muslims view Jesus as a prophet - Christians view Jesus as fully God.

shart1780 said:
Allah is COMPLETELY different than the God of the Bible, as anyone who knows anything about Muslim faith could see.

The faith of the Muslims is completely different, as you can see from his commandments.

That's true. Some of the characters in the stories are the same, but even they have differences as far as what they do and who they are. For example, in Islam, Jesus was a prophet, but not the Son Of God. Therefore, even though they have the same name and are based on the same man, they do not paint the same pictue of who Jesus is, so he is eesential not the same Jesus in these two faiths.

Hey nb, you and I wrote almost the exact same thing at the exact same time. How strange is that?

shart1780 said:

It's as night-and-day as the petty warrior God of the early Old Testament and the loving God of the New Testament.

Melon

melon said:

It's as night-and-day as the petty warrior God of the early Old Testament and the loving God of the New Testament.

Melon

You raise a good point. When reading sacred texts as works of literature, one discovers many similarities, as well as many differences.

the soul waits said:
I have only very recently discovered God and am now reading books about the Bible, eventually leading upto reading the Bible again itself (I've read it over 10 years ago and never quite studied it).

Having said that, I just wanted to comment on the fact that I was agnostic untill only recently (say 1-2 months ago even!) and somehow, God showed Himself to me and I feel blessed.

I respect the knowledge on the Bible a lot of posters here have but at the same time, am kind of distressed with the demeanor some here show to know perfectly well how the Bible is to be interpreted.
I guess I'm seeing a lack of being humble and a lack of respect for the fact that noone will really know untill our days here are over.
I am awed by God's Grace, that's for sure, and it came so unexpected that I am FAR from having any kind of theory of who/when/why will go to Heaven.

I agree. :hug: Keep that 'innocent' faith and awe....I think when one starts to feel completley knowledgable of God's ways is when their heart starts to harden in a way. We can only know God in part, through a glass darkly...

nbcrusader said:

One Holy Spirit
Wow, nb, that is deep, and is an excellent example of how the Holy Spirit in each Christian creates a unity, binding Christians together as a family, manifests itself in life.

Last edited:
AcrobatMan said:

Tell me if the below makes any sense

"Is God against religions that believes in celebration of Christmas ?"

Plain joke isnt it ...Do you want to discuss it..

I have found this thread offensive as it is targetting a group of religions which believe in idol worship.

This thread is intended to tell that ...hey this religion is better than that...and whether God favors members of some particular religions as against other religions...

And when I tell this ..I am accused of talking non-sense..

Just because I believe that all people - religious and non-religious...are equal...no religion is better than other... You think
this is an invalid comment...

And excuse me..I am not harassing anyone.

:up: :up:

I am really amazed--but shouldn't be--at the wild descriptions of Islam floating around this thread, including suggestions that Muslims do not believe in the same God as Christians and Jews do. You wouldn't claim a Jew does not follow the same God because they follow different laws--why a Muslim?

Islam is different than Christianity in *many* ways, but Allah and God *are* the same, regardless of what, apparently, many Christians would like to believe. This is why Muslims refer to themselves, Jews and Christians as "People of the Book." All three faiths spring from Abraham, who in all three interpretations, turns away from the polytheistic religon of his people and follows God/Allah.

Allah is simply the Arabic term for God. It's not a personal name. The first pillar of Islam, the declaration, "There is no God but Allah and Muhammad is His prophet" does not mean Allah is a different God, it means they follow no other--just as God asked Abraham to do. (I'd quote the verse, but my Bible's packed.)

Muslims believe they are following the true path, just as Christians do. They believe Christianity and Judaism are corrupted versions of God's message, and that He chose to relay it one last time through Muhammad. This does not mean they believe Jesus or His message was corrupted--they believe subsequent followers messed it up. Jesus is a sacred person in Islam. Here's a short quote from Asma Gull Hasan that explains it in easier terms--(and if someone would like this book, or my other 2 Islam books, I'd be happy to send it on, just e-mail me):

Muslims believe that Mary, who is a very sacred woman within Islam with an entire chapter of the Qu'ran devoted to her story, was a virgin, and God chose her to mother one of his most beloved prophets. The Qu'ran also says that God created Jesus as he created Adam, with His Divine breath, He brought Adam and Jesus into existence...So why don't we say that Jesus is the Son of God? It doesn't seem that far off from what Christians believe, you may be thinking. It is a good question, with an answer that reveals the identity of God according to Muslims. Muslims believe that God is a being, omnipotent and without having certain human qualities such as gender, though He is described as having eyes and a few other features. Muslims believe He can create a person, but does not bear offspring.

I haven't been following this debate, but I find it ironic that Islam is popping up at all in a discussion (supposedly) about idolatry, given that it is *strictly* against it to the point that images are completely forbidden lest they lead the faithful astray. This is why Islamic art tends to be of abstract scriptwork or symbols like the crescent moon and star. They believe in God as the one and only so fervently that they did not allow images of Muhammad to be made for fear he would be worshipped as an equal. To a Muslim, Christianity has strayed into idolatry--rather ironic given the alleged debate here, isn't it...

AvsGirl41,
I would like to assure you that I don't believe that Islam is an "idolatry" religion.

However, I would like to ask you this:

If I, as a Christian, say that Jesus the Christ is God himself, but you say he is a prophet, then don't we both worship different "Gods", despite having many of the same characters in our stories?

80sU2isBest said:
AvsGirl41,
I would like to assure you that I don't believe that Islam is an "idolatry" religion.

If I, as a Christian, say that Jesus the Christ is God himself, but you say he is a prophet, then don't we both worship different "Gods", despite having many of the same characters in our stories?

No, I don't. I ask again, would you say that a Jew followed a different God because they don't consider Jesus the Messiah?

AvsGirl41,

Your own quote provides ample basis for showing the striking difference between Islam and Christianity. Jesus as created being vs. Jesus as eternal God.

The Bible sas God favors his children. It may sound harsh but it's the plain and simple truth. God is very clear of his laws in the Bible and most of you are extremely quick to discount the scriptures completely.

Call me close-minded, call me hateful, call me whatever you'd like, but I'm getting my beliefs right out of the Bible. Do you find the Bible hateful and offensive? The Bible is an offensive book. It's not for the feint of heart. It's harsh and it makes clear that God deals with sin harshly. If you can't accept the fact that our God is a jealous and angry god then you don't believe in the God of the Bible.

So many people say to me "we all interpret the Bible differently, who are you to tell anyone what it says? You think you know everything about God don't you?". No I don't know everthing about God and I don't know everything about the scriptures, but God made some things very very clear through the scriptures, some things I don't understand how anyone who says they believe the Bible is God's word could question. The Bible says those who practice idol worship, be it gold statues or gold coins, are fools and will not be accepted into the kingdom of Heaven. The Bible says this and it's clear for anyone with eyes to read. Why can't you accept that the Bible says this?

I don't know everything about God. I'm sure I know next to nothing about God, but I do know what God left for us in the scriptures, which is all I need to know to have a personal relationship with him. I also know that everything in the Bible is to be taken as the absolute truth. If the Bible says that those who bow down before idols in worship aren't going to Heaven then I KNOW that they won't be going to Heaven. Are you telling me that the Bible is a flat out lie? I don't understand how anyone who calls themselves a christian can do that.

That may seem unfair and harsh to you. It is harsh. But Sin isn't taken lightly. God doesn't just let everyone get away with whatever they feel like doing. Christ's sacrifice only blots out the sins of those who are willing to repent, and I don't mean repent to Allah. Christ himself said that he is the one and only way to Heaven. Christ said this.

But so many of you who call yourselves christians tell me that that's not true, that people of all religions and faiths will be in Heaven. Why do you think this? Because it makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside? Jesus commanded christians to reach out and preach his word (the Bible) to the lost. Who are the lost? Anyone who hasn't accepted him as the one and only lord and savior. Read the scriptures if you disagree.

Only those who accept Jesus Christ as the one and only way to eternal life will get into Heaven. This is what Christ said and it's undeniable. If you deny it you're lying to yourself. If you don't believe this you either don't believe Jesus is the son of God or you believe that Christ was a liar or off his rocker.

I sound harsh, but the truth is harsh. I know some of you will think "oh look at shart, he thinks he's so righteous, that he needs to tell us how to live our lives. Christ would never endorse such behaviour." I know the truth about how to get into Heaven because I know what Jesus told us to do. The Bible says that the scriptures are to be used to judge righteously, to differentiate the christians and the non-christians. Don't call me close-minded and judgemental when all I'm doing is quoting the scriptures. These scriptures aren't rocket science either. Basically it's saying "Jesus = the only way to Heaven, idol worship = against God". How you could not see that I don't understand.

If you disagree with me then I'd like to see how you interpret these scriptures. If you're afraid to even look at scripture then I think there's a bigger problem.

Last edited:
80sU2isBest said:
AvsGirl41,

So your absolutists views hold that Jews are not saved.

and AvsGirl41 is right why this went to Islam is very telling

they are the least in the practice idol worship?

nbcrusader said:
AvsGirl41,

Your own quote provides ample basis for showing the striking difference between Islam and Christianity. Jesus as created being vs. Jesus as eternal God.

I never said there weren't differences--in fact, I believe that was explicitly mentioned within my post. Islam, Judaism and Christianity are very different faiths.

However, it is wrong *and* worrying when Christians begin insisting they follow a different God than we do. That is how holy war is justified. And that is just simply not true. Their interpretation of the *message* (and arguably, the individuals involved) is different, but the origin is the same.

You can believe they are misguided if you want (they believe we are), you can argue we are different, but that essential fact remains. We're all cut from the same religious cloth, it's the way we have chosen to wear it that is different. There are many similarities and I wish those would be looked at, rather than what seperates us.

AvsGirl41 said:

No, I don't. I ask again, would you say that a Jew followed a different God because they don't consider Jesus the Messiah?

The Jews worship YHWH (God The Father), which is an essential member of the trinity. In that aspect, they worship a "part" of the God Christians do. However, their "God picture" does not include Christ, so I'd say no, he is not the same.

Last edited:
shart1780 said:
The Bible sas God favors his children. It may sound harsh but it's the plain and simple truth. God is very clear of his laws in the Bible and most of you are extremely quick to discount the scriptures completely.

Call me close-minded, call me hateful, call me whatever you'd like, but I'm getting my beliefs right out of the Bible. Do you find the Bible hateful and offensive? The Bible is an offensive book. It's not for the feint of heart. It's harsh and it makes clear that God deals with sin harshly. If you can't accept the fact that our God is a jealous and angry god then you don't believe in the God of the Bible.

So many people say to me "we all interpret the Bible differently, who are you to tell anyone what it says? You think you know everything about God don't you?". No I don't know everthing about God and I don't know everything about the scriptures, but God made some things very very clear through the scriptures, some things I don't understand how anyone who says they believe the Bible is God's word could question. The Bible says those who practice idol worship, be it gold statues or gold coins, are fools and will not be accepted into the kingdom of Heaven. The Bible says this and it's clear for anyone with eyes to read. Why can't you accept that the Bible says this?

I don't know everything about God. I'm sure I know next to nothing about God, but I do know what God left for us in the scriptures, which is all I need to know to have a personal relationship with him. I also know that everything in the Bible is to be taken as the absolute truth. If the Bible says that those who bow down before idols in worship aren't going to Heaven then I KNOW that they won't be going to Heaven. Are you telling me that the Bible is a flat out lie? I don't understand how anyone who calls themselves a christian can do that.

That may seem unfair and harsh to you. It is harsh. But Sin isn't taken lightly. God doesn't just let everyone get away with whatever they feel like doing. Christ's sacrifice only blots out the sins of those who are willing to repent, and I don't mean repent to Allah. Christ himself said that he is the one and only way to Heaven. Christ said this.

But so many of you who call yourselves christians tell me that that's not true, that people of all religions and faiths will be in Heaven. Why do you think this? Because it makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside? Jesus commanded christians to reach out and preach his word (the Bible) to the lost. Who are the lost? Anyone who hasn't accepted him as the one and only lord and savior. Read the scriptures if you disagree.

Only those who accept Jesus Christ as the one and only way to eternal life will get into Heaven. This is what Christ said and it's undeniable. If you deny it you're lying to yourself. If you don't believe this you either don't believe Jesus is the son of God or you believe that Christ was a liar or off his rocker.

I sound harsh, but the truth is harsh. I know some of you will think "oh look at shart, he thinks he's so righteous, that he needs to tell us how to live our lives. Christ would never endorse such behaviour." I know the truth about how to get into Heaven because I know what Jesus told us to do. The Bible says that the scriptures are to be used to judge righteously, to differentiate the christians and the non-christians. Don't call me close-minded and judgemental when all I'm doing is quoting the scriptures. These scriptures aren't rocket science either. Basically it's saying "Jesus = the only way to Heaven, idol worship = against God". How you could not see that I don't understand.

If you disagree with me then I'd like to see how you interpret these scriptures. If you're afraid to even look at scripture then I think there's a bigger problem.

Sounds like the same rant Jesus of Nazareth heard from the "so called" religious people of his day.

They claimed to be following the "law" or book as it was given to them.

He spoke of something new that was "relative" to the people living at the time.
Not something that was hundreds or thousands of years old.

Perhaps one would like their medicine or government or anything else to NOT to be "relative" to the current times.

deep said:

Sounds like the same rant Jesus of Nazareth heard from the "so called" religious people of his day.

They claimed to be following the "law" or book as it was given to them.

He spoke of something new that was "relative" to the people living at the time.
Not something that was hundreds or thousands of years old.

Perhaps one would like their medicine or government or anything else to NOT to be "relative" to the current times.

You make the Bible sound like an extremist rant that is no longer applicable. I'm basing my beliefs off of the teachins of Jesus, nothing else. If you find this extremist then I don't know what to say to you.

Is there some new gospel that came from the mouth of God that I should be aware of? I thought the christiam was supposed to live his life according to the Bible. Do you disagree?

If this isn't true, then tell me how you interpret the scriptures I mentioned.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom