Is God against religions that practice idol worship?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unodostres, if you believe we're wrong why don't you try backing it up with something more concrete than judgmental opinion?

If you believe we're interpreting the Bible wrong why don't you tell us how you interpret it?

shart1780 said:
Jesus died for the sins of those willing to repent. If this weren't true than every murderer on earth would go to Heaven regardless of iff he asks for Christ's forgiveness.

Do you believe in any degree of free will? Are you saying everyone born is already marked with a 'will believe' or 'won't believe' stamp on their foreheads? Secondly, God is our judge, not the other way around....we can't say when His exact moment of complete judgement is.

80sU2isBest said:

Christ is pretty radical.

On this I agree....

He was so radical he went up against the expected version of the messiah.

He offered redemption to the gentile and the Jew.

He did miracles on the Sabbath, against the interpretations of the law.

I agree....Radical....nonconformist.....not necessarily what mankind expected.

Dreadsox said:

How could God extend his grace to King David? He was in a way, a murderer.

Because David asked for God's forgiveness. What I'm saying is you can't go to Heaven openly sinning your entire life without ever asking to be forgiven by God.

Of course all of us are sinners and fall short of God's glory, but Christ died on the cross for us so we could find redemption through him. But the Bible says that God's forgiveness is needed to get into Heaven, which is by repenting and following God's word the best you can.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Is God against religions that practice idol worship?

starsgoblue said:

So he didn't die for the world's sins, just the believers? That's not what I've been told. You weren't always a believer...you made a choice to cross that line so you couldn't have already been condemned if you believe yourself redeemed?

Here is what that means. Read Romans and you will see that these are not my thoughts, but Paul's.

People who are not believers are dead in their sins. Their unforgiven sin keeps them from God; they live in a state of condemnation. When a nonbeliever puts his faith in Christ, he is made alive in Christ, and his sin is forgiven. He has passsed from death unto life, from condemnation unto freedom. I was once condemned - from the first moment I knew right from wrong and committed a sin, I was condemned. I am no longer condemned.

And yes, Christ died for the world's sins. However, it only applies to people who accept the gift. Christ forces it on no one.

shart1780 said:

Because David asked for God's forgiveness. What I'm saying is you can't go to Heaven openly sinning your entire life without ever asking to be forgiven by God.

But he'd be on the first floor of Heaven, well below the fundamentalist.

starsgoblue said:

Do you believe in any degree of free will? Are you saying everyone born is already marked with a 'will believe' or 'won't believe' stamp on their foreheads? Secondly, God is our judge, not the other way around....we can't say when His exact moment of complete judgement is.

I believed we are born with a "Sinner" stamp on our forehead. We'd be doomed if it wasn't for Jesus' sacrifice.

And, as in the scripture I posted, the Bible says the scrptures are a tool for us to judge righteously. Of course I can't judge anyone to Heaven or Hell, I couldn't even if I wanted to. The Bible says you will know people by the fruits they produce.

shart1780 said:

I believed we are born with a "Sinner" stamp on our forehead. We'd be doomed if it wasn't for Jesus' sacrifice.

And, as in the scripture I posted, the Bible says the scrptures are a tool for us to judge righteously. Of course I can't judge anyone to Heaven or Hell, I couldn't even if I wanted to. The Bible says you will know people by the fruits they produce.

I agree.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is God against religions that practice idol worship?

80sU2isBest said:

Here is what that means. Read Romans and you will see that these are not my thoughts, but Paul's.

People who are not believers are dead in their sins. Their unforgiven sin keeps them from God; they live in a state of condemnation. When a nonbeliever puts his faith in Christ, he is made alive in Christ, and his sin is forgiven. He has passsed from death unto life, from condemnation unto freedom. I was once condemned - from the first moment I knew right from wrong and committed a sin, I was condemned. I am no longer condemned.

And yes, Christ died for the world's sins. However, it only applies to people who accept the gift. Christ forces it on no one.

I am a Christian. I HAVE read Romans. If I wanted to know Paul's 'thought's I would read Romans...I wanted to know Shart's.

I really think John smoked a lot of pot......I say this not because I am trying to be offensive......I do not like his style.

starsgoblue said:

I am a Christian. I HAVE read Romans. If I wanted to know Paul's 'thought's I would read Romans...I wanted to know Shart's.

I said what I think in my last post :)

Last edited:
shart1780 said:
Unodostres, if you believe we're wrong why don't you try backing it up with something more concrete than judgmental opinion?

If you believe we're interpreting the Bible wrong why don't you tell us how you interpret it?

Hmm...i have homework to do...but i'll give it a quick try. Alright, basically, I am fundamentally against the thoughts of people who are like, 'MY RELIGION IS RIGHT...YOU ARE WRONG...YOU WILL BURN IN HELL, BITCH!" because religion is the way to explain the inexplicable. There is no way that one day there is going to be solid evidential proof that Jesus is the son of God and that God is exactly what the Bible says it is. So many assumptions are made that people take to be the Truth. If a person follows all the teachings of Jesus, (love, humility, charity, etc.) why must he go to the building with the cross on top of it on sunday instead of some other kind of building. Do you honestly believe that God will send to hell the 4 year old African boy with AIDS because he prays to the God that his parents tell him to pray to. If so, God really is an asshole. (GASP)..."what did he just say?...let's hang him! yeeehah!" [haha sorry for the sidetrack] Basically, what I'm trying to say in general is that some people aren't able to face the fact that perhaps everything they believe in is wrong. If i came and told you I was the son of God and performed some magic tricks, would you believe me. If I told you that I knew a guy who lived to be 600 and he gathered two of ever animal and put them on a huge-ass boat and saved them from an even huger flood. I just think that it is wrong to believe so strongly in something which may not be true. It's kind of like when you read about Greek Gods and goddesses in school. They say all these crazy things about how Apollo pulls the chariot of the sun across the sky and that's why the sun moves and they explain things in nature by all these crazy things. Well....they believed it. Right? These seemingly crazy ideas to us were realistic to them. Perhaps we are in the same thing right now. When you think about it, religions have all these crazy stories about impossible tasks occuring and maybe it's just a resurgence of Greek mythology, which was obviously false, but still believed by many.

Last edited:
shart1780 said:

I understand the first paragraph.

What I am saying though is instead of you 'judging' people's actions why don't you think of how your own actions can show God's fruit and love to them? Jesus didn't look at the people he consorted with by society's labels. He saw people created in God's image...not Prostitute, Tax Collector, Bum, Leper, Pagan, Murderer, Greek, Whatever....He brought these people BACK into community after they had been shunned by all else.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is God against religions that practice idol worship?

Do Miss America said:

Yeah, um 80's Jesus didn't say that.

Um, yeah he did. Go up to John 3:10. That is where Jesus begins talking. He has a long discourse that lasts until John 3:21.

Kids, this is clearly no longer a thread about discussion....

it is deteriorating into I am right and you are wrong.....

The title has to do with IDOLOTRY....

What was the point of the title?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is God against religions that practice idol worship?

starsgoblue said:

Then why did you ask me? You quoted something I said and asked me a question about it. I was explaining the condemnation remark, as said by Christ and explained by Paul. Don't ask me a question if you don't want me to answer.

starsgoblue said:

I understand the first paragraph.

What I am saying though is instead of you 'judging' people's actions why don't you think of how your own actions can show God's fruit and love to them? Jesus didn't look at the people he consorted with by society's labels. He saw people created in God's image...not Prostitute, Tax Collector, Bum, Leper, Pagan, Murderer, Greek, Whatever....He brought these people BACK into community after they had been shunned by all else.

Well, you're right that I first need to look at my own life and decide wheather I'm following God's word before I look at the lives of others. I'm not trying to label people the way society sometimes does, I'm using scripture as a tool do decipher, to the best of my ability, what is and isn't against God.

I don't believe there's any differene between a prostitute and a hypocritical pastor, they both need God's forgiveness before they can get into Heaven. I'm not placing any sinner above any other sinner.

I made an honest attempt at answer the initial questions of the thread....

I think it is clear this is not open for discussion.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is God against religions that practice idol worship?

80sU2isBest said:

Um, yeah he did. Go up to John 3:10. That is where Jesus begins talking. He has a long discourse that lasts until John 3:21.

But that quote was not accreditted to Jesus, not there or anywhere else.

Shart, thank you for your response. We may disagree to disagree on interpretations of scripture for some nuances but that's never a new thing in Christianity...

And 80sU2...I wasn't asking you I was asking Shart. Maybe you confused me with DoMiss.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is God against religions that practice idol worship?

Do Miss America said:

But that quote was not accreditted to Jesus, not there or anywhere else.

2nd Timothy 3: 16-17
"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is God against religions that practice idol worsh

shart1780 said:

2nd Timothy 3: 16-17
"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work

I've said it now twice, read my quote and debate that. Quit ignoring my quote and quit ignoring other questions. Maybe this is why the term ignorance is being used.

If what you're saying is that the only real truths in the Bible are directly quoted from Christ then I'd have to disagree. Why not just scratch eveything in the Bible out excrpt for the red print?

shart1780 said:
If what you're saying is that the only real truths in the Bible are directly quoted from Christ then I'd have to disagree. Why not just scratch eveything in the Bible out excrpt for the red print?

No, I just don't take them as commandments or absolute.

But good job ignoring the rest.

Heh...well I see that noone refuted anything in my post at the beginning of page 4.....i guess it's because there's nothing to refute!

unosdostres14 said:
Heh...well I see that noone refuted anything in my post at the beginning of page 4.....i guess it's because there's nothing to refute!
It's because it's nothing but Christian-bashing garbage, and if you don't care for a theological discussion, you are not obligated to post.

Back
Top Bottom