Is a 20% tip not good enough anymore?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seabird, I think you have just had the unfortunate experience of being served by a few bad apples. It is a bit harder when you work a breakfast or lunch shift and the bills are less than $10, then $1 or $2 doesn't seem like a lot, but hey, it sounds like you were more than generous.

And to those people that go eat regularly somewhere and tip less than 15%, be aware that people remember you better than you think. We always had those regular customers that came to Pizza Hut every Friday night, made a huge mess and took up the table for 3 hours and left squat. People didn't do much for them because they knew it was pointless. Some people did do 'extra' for them, but *not* in a good way :uhoh:

I was above all that, even for the people I knew were stiffers or crappy tippers or pains-in-the-butt. Yeah, I'd try to avoid having them as my table, but when I got stuck with them, I made it my mission to try to convert them and win them over, see if I could get them to leave a better (or any) tip than usual. It didn't often work, but I thought it was worth a shot.

There is difference though between staying at a table for maybe an hour asking only for the meal and a drink refil vs. makng a mess staying for three hours and makng all kinds of demands. You won't catch me doing that, or atleast not doing all three and defintely not the second. I'm always polite, if I see my waiter is going out of his/her way or if I am asking alot of them I'll pay them more in the tip. Like I say I pay based on service recieved. I also tip more at places where I'm a regular and to a waiter I know will give me consistenly good service and make me want to come back. And as one more word to the "don't eat out if you can't affort our manditory no matter what kind os service 20%" crowd, uh enjoy not getting your wage, let alone tips when no one comes to your retaurant. Get used to the idea that a tip is based on level of service not some manditiory ammount. I like helping people but I am not a charity for any slacker who's too lazy to do more than the basic requirements of their job. You work hard and are a good server you'll get a good tip otherwise shut your hole and enjoy 10%. Nothing pisses me off more than whiners. Sorry.

Last edited:
living in a city where everyone i know is either a cocktail server, a dealer, or a bartender, i tend to tip big. very big. these people are living off their tips. and not one of them has ever been huffy about it. they're just people trying to make a living.

Blacksword said:
And as one more word to the "don't eat out if you can't affort our manditory no matter what kind os service 20%" crowd, uh enjoy not getting your wage, let alone tips when no one comes to your retaurant. Get used to the idea that a tip is based on level of service not some manditiory ammount. I like helping people but I am not a charity for any slacker who's too lazy to do more than the basic requirements of their job. You work hard and are a good server you'll get a good tip otherwise shut your hole and enjoy 10%. Nothing pisses me off more than whiners. Sorry.

I compeletly agree!!

Blacksword said:
I like helping people but I am not a charity ... Nothing pisses me off more than whiners. Sorry.

Yep.

I think it has been well established here that these people work hard/job sucks/wage sucks/live off the tips/etc. The thing is most of us can't afford to supplement someone's salary beyond the average tip amount (if they deserve that) and people should not have to feel like creeps for that, or have their food spit in, or stop eating out, or be snubbed.

I'm tired of the whining. A lot of people work even harder for less money and no tips. Life's a bitch, then you die. Life is like a shit sandwich, the more bread you have the less shit you have to eat. That's life. Love it or give up.

Just for the record (and not to beat a dead horse) I generally tip 20% for good service. I do not feel any need whatsoever to tip for bad service. On occasion I have even told a waiter why I was not tipping. But it has to be clear to me that the bad service is the fault of the waiter, not because the kitchen is slow, for example.

And as if the restauranteurs expect we can't do our math:

Mrs. Baw and I had breakfast on Monday; bill was $13.95.

When I get the bill I check the bottom and the computer was kind enough to print out 15% = $2.09 20% = $2.79, presumably so I didn't have to sweat the math ???

No mention of 10% ... or "Other"...

Uh, you guys, you've just all made me not want to go out and eat ever again. Thank you very much. It'll save me some bucks.

Maybe I live in happy-land, but I just don't see that same problem here. I never feel guilty for any amount I leave for tip. I tip the waitress always 15% which is the "expected" amount around here. Never more, never less, unless I KNOW the person and THAT makes me feel guilted into more.:laugh:

The only time I feel pressured is at the hair salon I go to, and it really annoys me. The people hang around waiting for you to make the tip. I have the sneaky suspicion that the owner who is usually the one ringing up your bill would give me a dirty look if I didn't tip.

I totally ignore any jars wherever I go, I guess. I don't see them:laugh:

What this whole conversation has bottled down to me is frankly, sort of off topic, but that wages for most jobs in America now SUCK!!! We're left to squabbling among ourselves like the rabble we wage-slaves are. I'm sorry, but I have a real hard time with the system and with every breath want to buck the system. Frankly, I don't care if your job is 80,000 a year...you are still a wage-slave. Me and my husband's solution is this...the only way to make money, the only way to go is to own your own business, period...and when we do we won't stiff ANY employees just to get rich. I'd be happy just to not have to work for someone else.

Yes, the middle class is disappearing and it's scary...especially when you see yourself going toward the poor side. And, it's angering, because I believe in equality and can't STAND greedy rich people.

But, back on topic...for some reason this whole tipping issue just doesn't bother me. (Except for this one hair salon). I tip 15%...period. I really don't like to make a value judgment on who deserves it more than others...I figure, they serve me at all, they deserve a tip. I don't expect a lot from them. It's just fun for me to eat out.

HOWEVER, with the last comments about people spitting in your food, it makes me think twice about eating out. It seems to me that I'd be better staying home, eating healthier (you eat nothing but fat when you eat out), saving money and avoiding eating something you really wouldn't want to.

I guess I have it pretty good here. Where I live we're use to working hard and being grateful.

Now I know that I'm really gonna get an ass-chewing but I need your advice. As some of you who know me and/or have met me, I usually have a shaved head...a zero in barber's terms..which bring me to the issue.

I visit a local ethnic barber located in the "south side of town"...yeah, I know I could probably cut my hair myself but I'm just not comfortable doing that, knowing that I'll miss half...Mrs. BAW feels weird about doing it thinking she's either cutting my scalp or hurting me...anyway, I go to the "ethnics"...they charge $6.50. I walk in, the guy or girl says "all off" and I tell 'em yes.

I admit, they go the extra couple of steps, they buzz my head, they trim my eyebrows and my moustache - I don't ask, they just do. We older men grow "ear hair" ugh.. so they trim that as well. The regular barber was the Father, a man of 70 or so years, he was taken ill this year and hasn't been to the shop; his daughters have taken over...now, I know what your thinking but these girls are NOT lookers by any means!

To the father, I would give the guy $10 for the $6.50 job...that's a $3.50 tip for a $6.50 bill (I told you I was gonna get an ass-chewing). Anyway, since the daughters have taken over the shop, it seems that they, too, expect this formidable tip BUT they do NOT offer the same "extra clippings and trim" that their father did. My current dilemma was recently, I went to pay the girl the $6.50; I handed her 8 ones....she kept her hand out. I didn't know how to react...I reached down and pulled out another $1; she took it but mumbled to the other girls something in their native language.

It takes me back to a month or two ago....I was late, I went to the shop at 5 o'clock straight up...the Closed sign was up and they were turning potential customers away. I showed my face through the window and they couldn't get to the door fast enough! When another customer said "Hey, why does he get to come in? they told him, "He pay good, you come back tomorrow!"

Have I screwed myself into a hole? There aren't very many shops in our little town... OK, I'm ready...have at me! :(

Last edited:
Maybe try asking, "Can you trim X hair too?" and see if they up the price. If not, I'd give them what you paid the dad. If they do charge extra, well, then you dont need to over-tip them I guess? :shrug:

OK, here's a question - how about all-inclusive resorts?

Say, Mexico (Cancun or Mayan Riviera), Aruba, Dominican, Barbados, St. Marteen, St. Lucia, St. Kitts...

If you pay for an all-inclusive resort, everything is included, apparently tips as well. I have always tipped in those places mainly because the people there are practically our slaves for what they pay them, but I've also run into people who firmly believe they should not be out even a single penny on these sorts of vacations. So, yay or nay?

Isn't this tipping thing a little out of control? Anitram's and Mr BAW's examples here are prime examples. Tipping is a social gratuity, not a law or right. The necessity for tipping has only come about from the substandard awards and conditions set out by your hospitality industries. Over here waiters and the like dont earn great money but it is a reasonable income. Akin to retail or other somewhat 'menial' industries. Tips are greatly appreciated as the norm is not to tip over here though I fully expect societal views to change over time and we will have it as a norm one day as well. I agree with Leeloo's post completely, unfortunately in places like America tipping is entrenched in the eating out experience and is unlikely to ever change. As long as this will never change, it is unlikely there will ever be a shift in pay practices which will see the very workers paid what they deserve.

If I receive bad service and I've told the waiter about it and nothing was done I will not leave a tip. I don't pay good money to go out for an enjoyable meal to be ignored or have a bad experience. This has only happened a couple times. Mostly I leave a 15% tip.

In England we don't have to tip, but I must say the service in America is more attentative than the service in England. Plus I :heart: the free-refills we get here, that's a huge save :up:

When I was in Canada on vacation w/ my friends we were out at a bar. I bought some drink (Probably around $3) and left the waitress a $.50 or $1.00 tip. I'll never forget she yelled for us and then held out her hand and kept saying "more" and pointing her finger into her open palm. I couldn't believe it. :eyebrow: That was the last time I ever went there.

Customer service on a whole in America is deplorable, IMO. I'm so sick of these snooty reps who don't realize it's their JOB to help. helloooo.

oliveu2cm said:

When I was in Canada on vacation w/ my friends we were out at a bar. I bought some drink (Probably around $3) and left the waitress a $.50 or $1.00 tip. I'll never forget she yelled for us and then held out her hand and kept saying "more" and pointing her finger into her open palm. I couldn't believe it. :eyebrow: That was the last time I ever went there.

Where the heck was that? $.50 to $1.00 is standard unless you're at some palce really swanky. Most beers are $4.25 or $5.25 for imports or at more expensive places so you leave the $.75. Any palce that charges $3 for drinks sure can't be asking for more and a 33% tip. I'd just take back what I put down and they'd never see me again.

It was in Montreal. I can't really remember the bar :reject: but it was sort of below-ground meaning you had to walk down stairs to get in. It wasn't a swanky bar at ALL. I'll ask my friend if she remembers the name of the bar. Every once in a while we remember that moment and we're like, that was NUTS!

Montreal.... that explains everything! Just kidding, that makes no sense anywhere. Though it might explain the $3 drink as I don't know anywhere in the GTA where you can get a drink for $3 that's not on a univeristy campus.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom