Iraqis--- the people

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oliveu2cm

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I know there are many Iraqi threads but I wanted to throw this in the mix & I didn't know where to do it (mods feel free to merge).

I know Fuzzie emphasis about this a lot- we're talking about murdering people here. Not Saddam, not the Al Quada, but people whom Saddam has proven he could care less live or die.

Have we proof this is necessary? Not hunches or pride to cover up.. but proof?

from thismodernworld.com:

On to slightly more important matters...

When you read about the evils of Saddam's regime, it all almost begins to make sense. Maybe they're right, you think. Maybe the Iraqi people really will be grateful to have been liberated from this repressive, murderous, torturous regime.

And then you read this:

The US intends to shatter Iraq "physically, emotionally and psychologically" by raining down on its people as many as 800 cruise missiles in two days.

The Pentagon battle plan aims not only to crush Iraqi troops, but also wipe out power and water supplies in the capital, Baghdad.

It is based on a strategy known as "Shock and Awe", conceived at the National Defense University in Washington, in which between 300 and 400 cruise missiles would fall on Iraq each day for two consecutive days. It would be more than twice the number of missiles launched during the entire 40 days of the 1991
GulfWar.
"There will not be a safe place in Baghdad," a Pentagon official told America's CBS News after a briefing on the plan. "The sheer size of this has never been seen before, never been contemplated before."

And then you come to your senses.

If this is true, and not just some kind of planted Psyop story designed to freak out the Iraqis--well, fuck us all. Does even the most bloodthirsty warblogger honestly imagine that the Iraqi people are going to be grateful, if they even manage to survive a two day blitz of 300-400 cruise missiles?

Sometimes the cure really is worse than the disease.

:| :tsk:

Last edited:
I read this article in it's entirety the other day. There are about 3 million citizens in Bagdad alone. Of course it will be a sudden strike so the civilians will be going about their daily lives. This makes the loss of civilians, aka women and children, appalling.

There has to be a better way even in the event of a military action. But then how can the Pentagon try out its new toys?

I agree this will make the US as evil as any other nation in history.

First this is a rumor that 800 Cruise Missiles will be used against targets in Baghdad. Second all the Cruise Missiles carry 1,000 to 2,000 pound warheads that will be targeted against military Targets or targets that support the military, not civilians! One should compare that to a future Iraqi supplied terrorist attack with Chem/Bio/Nuclear weapons against a Civilian target. The potential loss of life does not even compare.

If war does become necessary, the USA is going to do everything it can to reduce civilian losses. It is in US interest to do so. In thinking about whether the Iraqi citizens will be grateful to be liberated, think back to World War II. The D-Day Normandy invasion resulted in the deaths of 20,000 French civilians but I don't recall the French prefering that the invasion and liberation of France had not happened. I hope Iraqi civilian losses are kept to a minimum and are less than the First Gulf War in which 3,000 to 5,000 Iraqi civilians died. Hopefully the Iraqi military will revolt and overthrow Saddam in the first days of any conflict. This is far less than the number of Iraqi Civilians that die every year because of Saddam Hussiens brutality. The shorter the conflict, the smaller the number of civilian deaths there will be.

Once the USA has deployed all of its forces in the region, Saddam may come to his senses and begin to disarm. Although its unlikely, its still a possibility.

great article. it makes me shake my head in pure disgust.

again, there is no fucking difference between us and them. if we kill them with our government planes, or if they kill us with their more underground means IT DOESNT MATTER! its all the same!! innocent people are dieing for no reason except for the small portion of people on top of the ladder that are greedy bastards.

absolutely sickening.

Cow of the Seas said:
great article. it makes me shake my head in pure disgust.

again, there is no fucking difference between us and them. if we kill them with our government planes, or if they kill us with their more underground means IT DOESNT MATTER! its all the same!! innocent people are dieing for no reason except for the small portion of people on top of the ladder that are greedy bastards.

absolutely sickening.

My thoughts precisely deathbear.

STING2 said:
If war does become necessary, the USA is going to do everything it can to reduce civilian losses.

*ahem*

"There will not be a safe place in Baghdad," a Pentagon official told America's CBS News after a briefing on the plan. "The sheer size of this has never been seen before, never been contemplated before."

I can't believe how flippant some people are about human life. For shame.

Those words may very well of been taken out of context as reporters so often do.

Back
Top Bottom