Interesting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
One of my ten year old students asked a question three days ago and it has stuck with me. This may sound really stupid but I am intrigued by this question.

The student asked "Why don't we have a law that says that you cannot sell something for more than $10 it cost to make the product?"

The 10 year old said that included in the cost would include the cost to pay people to make the product. The student figures that if the product is a good product, $10 a sale would make the owner of the company happy.

Yes, I know this is quite possibly the silliest thing ever posted, but hey, when you hang with 10 year olds for a majority of your life, simple things seem to make sense.

Peace to all

*doesnt even start on all the problems with americanized capitalism*

I think that 10 year olds got a point... Its funny how capitalism only really benefits the figureheads of the corporations, and not really the people who need it... Cuz yeah, isnt capitalism supposed to be free market so that prices remain competetive so that the consumer benefits the most? Cuz I sure dont see that happening anywhere. When I get charged $30 for a CD, that cost 2 cents to make, there is a serious problem.

and don't tell me you wouldn't enjoy the money.

~unforgettableFOXfire~ said:
When I get charged $30 for a CD, that cost 2 cents to make, there is a serious problem.

when you could charge $30 for a 2 cent CD, you wouldn't think there was such a serious problem. :p

Even if you did pass a law, the only thing you would find is that the "cost" of things would skyrocket. Every risk that is taken in a capitalist venture would be assigned a cost and passed on to the consumer.

nbcrusader said:
Even if you did pass a law, the only thing you would find is that the "cost" of things would skyrocket. Every risk that is taken in a capitalist venture would be assigned a cost and passed on to the consumer.

I will pass this analysis on to the 4th Grader :wink:

There *was* a Price Commission in the 1960s and early 1970s, until Nixon (I believe) nixed it. I believe there was a price freeze during the Nixon era as well, so this wasn't that far-fetched of an idea.

I also think that the concept of "inflation" is asinine. Reagan proved that the minute he redefined it in the early 1980s.

Melon

Lly Lilly:
Kids might not accept the answer or just ask "so what's the advantage that any company can rip off their customers?

nbcrusader's answer was right but even if we would create another law which would assure that companies can't calculate more costs for their products than they really have (perfect bilances *g*)

It would still be a bad idea. Why?

Noone would manufacture expensive goods. If you can add 10$ to a 10 cent product (Music CD) you can encrease your money more than if you build a 100.000 $ Product (House)

So what about 10%? (1/10)

It would still kill economy because the company also has to calculate the risk of a complete loss of the development. Noone would like to invent something new.

Or.. not every product will be sold 100.000.000 times just because it is a great one.
There are much more Neons on the road then Porsches.

So the better way in stoping companies ripping of their customers is the free market. We just have to ensure that there is enough competition so that the customer has the chance to choose.
To ensure that we have to be carefull with Patents (stupid patents (on plants, animals, formulas) can lead to a defacto monopol). We have to ensure that Monopolistic companies (like Microsoft) get competition again.
It's also dangerous when goveners/presidents run own companies, are chairmen in companies, get bribes or have any other conflict of interests so that their main interest is to protect companies rather then us.

Klaus

Klaus said:
Lly Lilly:
Kids might not accept the answer or just ask "so what's the advantage that any company can rip off their customers?

Klaus

:angry: damn kids.

:sexywink:

yeah, i know the kids won't get it so hot, but they certainly aren't the ones running our country (insert politicians acting childish joke here).

Back
Top Bottom