in the neighborhood.........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
I read some press from Saudi Arabia. Of course it's a tool of their government. But it's interesting that the biggest fear in the area is that Iraq is going to break up into smaller states. Are they afraid of it becoming two states, possibly, an Arab one and a Kurdish one? What about other fears about a Sunni/Shi'ite civil war, what with the rash of mosque bombings that are suicide attacks? Both Sunni and Shi'ite mosques have been hit. Of course the Turks want a Kurdish state next door about like they want a hole in their heads. What gives? Just some random thoughts.

i've heard similar thoughts...fear of an iraqi civil war, breaking up into separate states, etc. etc. that would be a disaster for everyone.

A big sign of success of the Bush administrations post war handling is that a likely Civil War has NOT happened.

STING2 said:
A big sign of success of the Bush administrations post war handling is that a likely Civil War has NOT happened.

Yet. The "neighbors", including Saudi Arabia and Turkey, are very nervous about the possibility. The Turks want a Kurdish state about like they want a nuclear attack. All of these mosque bombings are making people nervous, too. Sunni vs. Shias going to war? Gosh, I hope not. The only people who want it are the terrorists.

The possibility of a civil war has been known for decades and it is to the Bush administrations credit that such a war has not happened after the removal of the dictator that held Iraq together through terror for 30 years.

Well, Sting, *I* want problems in Iraq about like I want a nuclear attack. For the sake of the Iraqi people I hope the transition goes smoothly, they get a constitution and elections and such, soon. I think the clerics are ready to talk.

"I think the clerics are ready to talk."

This is good news that I heard the other day. I was worried Sistani(spelling) might have been another egomaniac trying to manipulate the process to increase his power, but perhaps he might be reasonable on some levels. Still to early to say for sure though.

STING2 said:
"I think the clerics are ready to talk."

This is good news that I heard the other day. I was worried Sistani(spelling) might have been another egomaniac trying to manipulate the process to increase his power, but perhaps he might be reasonable on some levels. Still to early to say for sure though.

Yeah........he strikes me as a decent guy although I don't know that much about him. He sounds like a guy that the Shi'ite Moslems might like to vote into an office.

another worry about potential civil war in iraq are increasing reports of iraqis shooting each other. i just hope it never comes to that.

U2andPolitix said:
another worry about potential civil war in iraq are increasing reports of iraqis shooting each other. i just hope it never comes to that.

I've heard way too many of these reports. I don't like them. The Shias want elections because they want their votes to count, and they are right. However, al-Sistani has asked his followers not to demonstrate while a compromise is being worked out. He might be the best thing to happen to Iraqi democracy yet. They didn't have any rights under Saddam, now they want them, and more power to them. I just hope they don't fight with the Sunnis. That would be bad for the country. The Sunnis don't want more war.

Back
Top Bottom