In class we had a disscussion on...........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adamswildhoney

ONE love, blood, life
the state that the world is in! My teacher brought up a very good point at least I think so. He said that yes he agrees that we need to find a solution to help solve the terror acts but he finds it kinda of weary that Bush wants get rid of "EVIL" bc he said what Bush considers evil could very much change ie pple could start killing other ppl bc what the person did they thought was evil.

I just thought of it has strange bc if you think about it, we'll never be able to get rid of evil bc it will always be there in one shape or another!

That reminds me of something my husband pointed out about a year ago. Bush had said that he was "going to make the world unsafe for terrorists." My husband wanted to know how you can make the world unsafe for a group of people who are willing and eager to blow themselves up.

Evil people keep breeding. You can 'rid' the world of the parents, but then the kids grow up and continue where the parents left off. I just dont see how you can overcome this kind of hatred.

Angela Harlem said:
Evil people keep breeding. You can 'rid' the world of the parents, but then the kids grow up and continue where the parents left off.

Esp. if you kill the parents,....than the hatred is bigger than before.

Let's just kill everyone except Wanderer & deathbear and humanity can start on a new (hairy) foot.

On a seriouser note, a Muslim friend recently cleared up my misconceptions about the 70 virgin 'reward' in Muslim heaven. Apparently in the Q'uran, the phrase is "youths/maidens of perpetual beauty" and their function is more to serve--not sex. Um, yep.

foray

This is where I get a bit sketchy on the war against terror. What exactly are we waging war on?

coughcoughcoughcoughVIETNAMcoughcoughcough

Lilly said:
This is where I get a bit sketchy on the war against terror. What exactly are we waging war on?

Im wondering that tooo!

It seems to me like we are killing ppl, hunting down Osmama, instead oftrying to fix the problems with why the terrorists hate us, we actually are just making them hate us more I think!

I think that its funny bc we have all theses "WARS" ie Terror,Drugs, and Crime! And yet nothing seems to come of them, unless you count everyone getting pissed off with the US as something, but I dont see any change at all!:eyebrow:

Please Explain

Lilly said:

coughcoughcoughcoughVIETNAMcoughcoughcough

I am curious about what you are thinking here YODA. How is the war on terror similar to the Vietnam War?????

Thanks in advance for your wisdom oh great JEDI!!!:sexywink:

adamswildhoney said:
I think that its funny bc we have all theses "WARS" ie Terror,Drugs, and Crime! And yet nothing seems to come of them, unless you count everyone getting pissed off with the US as something, but I dont see any change at all!:eyebrow:

I agree, we need to find new solutions (doesn't that sound like someone?) to the problems. The opposite of war might actually work.

celia said:
Lets just put everyone that likes U2 and U2 on a boat and do a Noahs Ark thing to get rid of Evil! :p :mac:

praytell, what would you name the boat? ...

Motely Crew??...

Ship of Fools?

The human race was dyin' out.
Noone left to scream and shout.
People walking on the moon.
Smog will get you pretty soon.

Everyone was hanging out.
Hanging up and hanging down.
Hanging in and holding fast.
Hope our little world will last.

Yeah, along came Mr. Goodtrips
Looking for a new a ship.
Come on, people better climb on board.
Come on, baby, now we're going home.

Ship of fools, ship of fools.

The human race was dyin' out.
Noone left to scream and shout.
People walking on the moon.
Smog will get you pretty soon.

Ship of fools, ship of fools:

Re: Please Explain

Dreadsox said:

I am curious about what you are thinking here YODA. How is the war on terror similar to the Vietnam War?????

Thanks in advance for your wisdom oh great JEDI!!!:sexywink:

• the country is split
  • it is unclear what we are fighting for
  • it is unclear how we are going to win
  • it is unclear IF we are going to win
  • it seems rather avoidable at this stage
  • did i mention the country is divided?
  • we don't have a lot of support from other countries.

and that is how i think it is similar to vietnam.

Re: Re: Please Explain

Lilly said:

• the country is split
  • it is unclear what we are fighting for
  • it is unclear how we are going to win
  • it is unclear IF we are going to win
  • it seems rather avoidable at this stage
  • did i mention the country is divided?
  • we don't have a lot of support from other countries.

and that is how i think it is similar to vietnam.

AND we're getting between two factions in what will amount to a civil war in Iraq with us in the middle.

Just like Vietnam.

Re: Re: Re: Please Explain

martha said:

AND we're getting between two factions in what will amount to a civil war in Iraq with us in the middle.

Just like Vietnam.

Ditto. And let's throw in world wide disdain for our impending actions (except Tony of course). Only the people not Gov't's.

whats really weird is that this country is relatively "young" compared to the other countries that are around and yet we are in everyone's business and telling them what to do!

Re: Re: Please Explain

Lilly said:

• the country is split

• Stats please????? What pole are you using to come to this conclusion that Americans are Split on the War on Terror? I have found many a pole on the citizens feelings about Iraq, but that is almost a separate issue at this point.

Lilly said:

[*]it is unclear what we are fighting for

Our country was attacked by 19 Al-Qaeda members. This in and of itself is a declaration of war against our citizens by them. We have been attacked numerous times over the past 10 years. What is unclear about this?

Lilly said:

[*]it is unclear how we are going to win
    [*]it is unclear IF we are going to win

I suppose there are a number of ways to debate this issue. My definition of winning, would be when the United States citizenship is safe once again we are safe. I need to think on this one a bit more.

Lilly said:

[*]it seems rather avoidable at this stage

I would agree on one count. I believe that if we can remove the handcuffs that have been placed upon our FBI and Intelligence agencies we may begin to see future problems avoided.

However, we are at war. Not avoidable as of 9/11/01. They attacked. It is time to defend ourselves.

Lilly said:

[*]did i mention the country is divided?

Again...what poles are you using to make this statement? I would submit that there are relatively few things that we are not divided on. Again, if you are talking about Iraq, we can look at the latest stats about American feelings about this topic.

Lilly said:

[*]we don't have a lot of support from other countries.
Lilly said:

Hmmmm...I believe the only thing that is in question is the support about the Iraqi invasion. The French, German, English, Turkish, and Russian governments have pledged support in the war on Terror. Again, the Iraqi situation is a different situation all together.

Last edited:

martha said:

Just like Vietnam.

I remember hearing this argument the last time we went into Iraq. Did it turn out to be another Vietnam?

adamswildhoney said:
It seems to me like we are killing ppl, hunting down Osmama, instead oftrying to fix the problems with why the terrorists hate us, we actually are just making them hate us more I think!

Yeah, pretty much. They'll just get more pissed off, blow up more buildings and the like, and we'll capture some more of their guys. The more of their countries we destroy in wars, the more children will be angry at us, and enter terrorist groups for their own self-preservation. In the end, it'll just be a stalemate, and we'll be even more alienated from the middle East than we are right now.

Dreadsox said:

My definition of winning, would be when the United States citizenship is safe once again we are safe. I need to think on this one a bit more.

If we go by your definition then we will never "WIN" bc we are just pissing ppl off and making them hate us more right now, instead i think we should be trying to help them get their ppl fed and get health care and DROP THEIR DEBTS!

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Please Explain

adamswildhoney said:

If we go by your definition then we will never "WIN" bc we are just pissing ppl off and making them hate us more right now, instead i think we should be trying to help them get their ppl fed and get health care and DROP THEIR DEBTS!

I did say I had to think on this a little more.......... Obviously that part of my statement was not enough.

Sting if you are out there.....You are a stat man......Got any stats on how much debt relief and foreign aid we have sent out?

Peace to All

Back
Top Bottom