In class we had a disscussion on...........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Please Explain

Dreadsox said:

I remember hearing this argument the last time we went into Iraq. Did it turn out to be another Vietnam?

When was the last time we "went into" Iraq?

And you use the Al-Queda attacks on the US to justify an attack on Iraq. Did I miss something; were those clowns operating out of Iraq? And if they were, why did we go after Afganistan?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Please Explain

martha said:

And you use the Al-Queda attacks on the US to justify an attack on Iraq.]

Martha?????

Did the United States not fight a war in Iraq? I'm sorry I guess maybe I should have been more specific. People said the same thing about the "Gulf War". Last I checked it did not turn into another Vietnam.

martha said:
Did I miss something; were those clowns operating out of Iraq? And if they were, why did we go after Afganistan?

The US has many other reasons to go into Iraq with UN Approval. Let's start with violations of the Cease Fire Agreement. Let's finish with the fact that according to everything I saw on 60 Minutes last Sunday Night, Iraq has been more involved with Terrorism in Israel than was know prior.

As for Afghanistan, I do not think we need to respond to that do we? If you are looking at links to Al-qaeda, there are extremely STRONG ties to the Iranian version of the CIA from what I have read recently. Personally, I think Bush has a great case to go there if he chose to.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Please Explain

Dreadsox said:

Martha?????

Did the United States not fight a war in Iraq? I'm sorry I guess maybe I should have been more specific. People said the same thing about the "Gulf War". Last I checked it did not turn into another Vietnam.

The US has many other reasons to go into Iraq with UN Approval. Let's start with violations of the Cease Fire Agreement. Let's finish with the fact that according to everything I saw on 60 Minutes last Sunday Night, Iraq has been more involved with Terrorism in Israel than was know prior.

As for Afghanistan, I do not think we need to respond to that do we? If you are looking at links to Al-qaeda, there are extremely STRONG ties to the Iranian version of the CIA from what I have read recently. Personally, I think Bush has a great case to go there if he chose to.

*heavy sigh* Dreadsox, Dreadsox.

The Gulf War was not nearly the engagement the Bush has in mind now. The Gulf War was fought for economic gain. This time, Bush wants to go in and take out the leader of a sovereign nation. That's a little more intense and involved than last time.

You used the Al-Queda connection to justify invading Iraq, now you're backing away from that? That's why I brought up Afghanistan. I know full well that the Taliban goverment and our allies Saudi Arabia were mostly responsible for that whole thing. Again, you were using the Al-Queda connection to go after Iraq. I was simply asking that if Iraq were responsible for the A-Q, why did we go after Afghanistan?

Which is it? Iraq or Afganistan? If you want to kick Iraq's ass, don't hide behind the A-Q.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Please Explain

martha said:

You used the Al-Queda connection to justify invading Iraq, now you're backing away from that? That's why I brought up Afghanistan. I know full well that the Taliban goverment and our allies Saudi Arabia were mostly responsible for that whole thing. Again, you were using the Al-Queda connection to go after Iraq. I was simply asking that if Iraq were responsible for the A-Q, why did we go after Afghanistan?

I will now have to reread all of my posts. TO my knowledge, any post I have made in reference to Iraq has either (a) been about their violations of the "CEASE FIRE" agreement or (b) about the fact that their WMD must be removed becasue if they launch at Israel it will definitely be an ugly scene. I wish you had quoted me so I could see the reference.

That being said last weekend on 60 Minutes there was an excellent display of evidence that Iraq does have ties to Hamas and Al-Qaeda.

As for Iran, being the consipiracy buff that I am. I am also convinced that despite the fact that there is more involvement of IRAN with Al-Qaeda, the Bush/Cheney Administration will not do anything against Iran. I for one firmly believe that George HW Bush was responsible for keeping the hostages in Iran until Reagan took office. That coupled with the Iran/Contra events, leads me to believe that nothing will be done about the Iran/Al-Qaeda connection.

martha said:

Which is it? Iraq or Afganistan? If you want to kick Iraq's ass, don't hide behind the A-Q.

I do not want to kick Iraq's ass. I want them to submit to the agreements that they signed the first time. I have also been very specific that I do not want the US to act without UN approval. My hope is that through the UN the inspections will go on and peace will continue. As I have said in other threads, the Bush pressure on the UN seems to be working to me, if inspections continue.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Please Explain

martha said:

And you use the Al-Queda attacks on the US to justify an attack on Iraq.

well, having re-read the entire thread three times. I "never" once said that the War on Terror was justification for invading Iraq.

If I may say so, I reviewed my comments on the War on Terrorism directed at Lilly. Here are my comments on Iraq:

I have found many a pole on the citizens feelings about Iraq, but that is almost a separate issue at this point.

Hmmmm...I believe the only thing that is in question is the support about the Iraqi invasion. The French, German, English, Turkish, and Russian governments have pledged support in the war on Terror. Again, the Iraqi situation is a different situation all together. [/B]

Now both times I refer to it as being a "separate issue" . Maybe becasue I view them as separate issues right now. However, after watching 60 Minutes the other night, I am starting to think otherwise.

Thanks for understanding my concerns about being misquoted.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Please Explain

Dreadsox said:

Our country was attacked by 19 Al-Qaeda members. This in and of itself is a declaration of war against our citizens by them. We have been attacked numerous times over the past 10 years. What is unclear about this?

You said this in direct response to Lilly's statements about reasons not to go to war against Iraq. If you weren't using A-Q as a reason to go to war against Iraq, why did you bring this up then?

martha said:

You said this in direct response to Lilly's statements about reasons not to go to war against Iraq. If you weren't using A-Q as a reason to go to war against Iraq, why did you bring this up then?

Please show me anywhere in this quote where I say IRAQ??????

THroughout my response I repeatedly make the distinction between The War on Terror and Iraq as being "Separate Issues"

PEace...Night....

Originally posted by Lilly

* it is unclear what we are fighting for

Our country was attacked by 19 Al-Qaeda members. This in and of itself is a declaration of war against our citizens by them. We have been attacked numerous times over the past 10 years. What is unclear about this?

She's talking about Iraq in her post!!!!

Good night.

martha said:

Martha....now you again take my quote out of context.

Lilly said....

it was unclear what we were fighting for in the WAR on Terror.

My response to her point you just quoted above accurately but out of context.

I begin my comments and end my comments in that thread specifically stating the Iraq thing is a separate issue.

martha said:
Originally posted by Lilly

* it is unclear what we are fighting for

She's talking about Iraq in her post!!!!

Good night.

Sorry Martha....again You may very well think she was. Nowhere in her original post nor in her reply to my questions did she refer to Iraq. That is why in me responses I was very clear that the war on terror was a separate issue from Iraq.

You added to Lilly's post the comments about Iraq.

You're right; I went back and reread it again. But, you know, I'll still stand by my opposition to the whole thing. I can't get behind a "War on Terror" that includes actions based on rumor, a nebulous enemy that can change with the whims of those leading the war, and a frenzy of fear here at home.

I can't. Sorry.

Now, go to bed; it's late where you are.

martha said:
You're right; I went back and reread it again. But, you know, I'll still stand by my opposition to the whole thing. I can't get behind a "War on Terror" that includes actions based on rumor, a nebulous enemy that can change with the whims of those leading the war, and a frenzy of fear here at home.

I can't. Sorry.

Now, go to bed; it's late where you are.

I respect your opposition to the thing. I would rather have a country full of people like you staying up on the issues to keep things in line than a country where we do not have a say in the direction we are taking.

G'night to you too...

Bed calls.

Back
Top Bottom