Imus To Settle With CBS For 20 Million?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
According to Drudge

**Exclusive** Radio host Don Imus has agreed to settle with CBS for $20 million, and a non disparaging clause, legal sources claim. The move opens the possibility Imus will soon return to the airwaves -- on WABC in New York! Developing...

Wow, that's quite a payday for three words :|

NEW YORK (AP) -- Don Imus has reached a settlement with CBS over his multimillion-dollar contract and is negotiating with New York's WABC radio to resume his broadcasting career there, according to CBS and a person familiar with the negotiations.

Imus and CBS Radio reached a settlement that would pre-empt the dismissed radio personality's threatened $120 million breach-of-contract lawsuit, CBS spokesman Dana McClintock said Tuesday.

No terms of the settlement were disclosed.

The person familiar with the talks told The Associated Press that Imus is taking steps to make a comeback with WABC-AM. The person, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the news had not been announced, also said the deal with CBS calls for a "non-disparaging" agreement that forbids him from speaking negatively about his former employer.

The settlement and possible comeback come more than four months after Imus created an uproar over his racist and sexist comments about the Rutgers women's basketball team.

Just before his dismissal, Imus signed a five-year, $40 million contract with CBS Radio (owned by CBS Corp.). Famed First Amendment lawyer Martin Garbus said in May that Imus planned to sue CBS for $120 million in unpaid salary and damages.

WFAN, the New York radio station that was Imus' flagship, also announced Tuesday that former NFL quarterback Boomer Esiason will take over the morning time slot along with Craig Carton, a New Jersey radio personality.

WABC is a talk-radio station that features political and topical shows with such stars Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh.

Imus, 66, was dismissed April 12 after describing the Rutgers women's basketball team as "nappy-headed hos" on his nationally syndicated radio program, which was also simulcast on MSNBC. (General Electric Co.'s cable TV channel now has the "Morning Joe" program with Joe Scarborough.)

Garbus had said Imus would sue for the contract's unpaid part. He cited a contract clause in which CBS acknowledged that Imus' services were "unique, extraordinary, irreverent, intellectual, topical, controversial."

The clause said Imus' programming was "desired by company and ... consistent with company rules and policy," according to Garbus

Rutgers center Kia Vaughn is suing Imus for defamation.

CBS constructed a contract that basically encouraged Imus to be a jackass, and included a specific "warning" provision that CBS flat out ignored when firing him. The fact that Imus sued and reached a settlement is because, for better or for worse, Imus would likely have prevailed in court. You can't break a contract.

melon said:
CBS constructed a contract that basically encouraged Imus to be a jackass, and included a specific "warning" provision that CBS flat out ignored when firing him. The fact that Imus sued and reached a settlement is because, for better or for worse, Imus would likely have prevailed in court. You can't break a contract.

So they got what they paid for and then got embarrassed when they got it.

Pretty much. If you're CBS, you've got a guy with a history that includes joking that Serena Williams' picture belongs in National Geographic (and yes I know he didn't say it, but it's his show), you hire this paragon of wit, and then get your panties in a twist over 'nappy-headed ho'? I think the guy's an ass, but they hired him to be an ass...I hate to say it but he should get the money.

And I hope a chunk of it goes straight to Kia Vaughn...

frankly imus' law suit against CBS had a much greater chance of success than kia vaughn's lawsuit ever will.

and in actuallity, don imus will be a huge contrast to the likes of hannity and limbaugh... he is not even in the same ballpark politicaly as those two, but of course, only those on the far right can say bad things, so imus must be a republican.

martha said:

Who are the "liberal" equals of Hannity and Limbaugh? I don't listen to talk radio of any kind, so are there people on the "left" who are as nasty?

the left-wing attack machine NPR. :tsk:

martha said:

Who are the "liberal" equals of Hannity and Limbaugh? I don't listen to talk radio of any kind, so are there people on the "left" who are as nasty?

kpfk

martha said:
The few times I've listened to it, I've just heard news, but more in-depth. Is that what you mean: they report truth and you find that offensive somehow?

no question. it's balance, nuance, thoroughness, and attention to detail that drive rabid left-wing radio.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
frankly imus' law suit against CBS had a much greater chance of success than kia vaughn's lawsuit ever will.

and in actuallity, don imus will be a huge contrast to the likes of hannity and limbaugh... he is not even in the same ballpark politicaly as those two, but of course, only those on the far right can say bad things, so imus must be a republican.

It is sad to me that the man has been so demonized, in particular in this forum where so many intelligent people post.

Imus, is not Rush. Anyone who knows who Imus is and the causes he has fought for, knows he is not Rush. This is why I found his comments particularly sad. He is not in their league, but he said some of the most painfully hurtful things on the air thinking it was humorous. What does this mean? Don Imus, who I consider a centrist, demonstrated how far we have to go on the issue of racism in this country.

Demonizing him is so easy to do, but do we learn anything from it?

Last edited:
Dreadsox said:
He is not in their league, but he said some of the most painfully hurtful things on the air thinking it was humorous. What does this mean? It Imus, who I consider a centrist, demonstrated how far we have to go on the issue of racism in this country.

He's not in their league, at least until now. His true self may have been revealed. I have no time for him and his "humor."

what Imus said was as awful as anything said by Rush or Hannity (though Rush accusing Michael J. Fox of "faking it" is probably the lowest thing i've ever seen).

however, i do agree with Dread. Imus is in a different intellectual league than your typical shock jock. he does shock, and he does employ nasty humor (remember "Rama-lama-ding-dong," and it caught up with him.

but he does a terrific interview with terrific guests and promotes genuinely intellectual literature on his show. while he may have coarsened the culture, he elevated the political dialogue.

hopefully, we'll get a new and improved Imus, minus the "humor" but with all the intellectual curiosity intact.

Shoot, how come whenever anyone agrees with me in here the thread dies?

LOL:wink:

NY Post

December 3, 2007 -- Don Imus returned to the airwaves this morning before a live studio audience, introducing a long list of cast members on his new morning show including a black woman.

Just eight months ago, Imus was forced off the radio over racist and sexist remarks he made about the Rutgers women's basketball team.

"I want to take a minute to introduce this new incarnation of "Imus in the Morning," Imus said.

His debut, on WABC-AM, completed a comeback that seemed improbable at the height of the uproar back in April over his calling the players "nappy-headed hos."

Imus' lineup of guests featured two presidential hopefuls, Democrat Chris Dodd and Republican John McCain. As he did several times in the days after the episode, Imus condemned his controversial remark last spring and said he had learned his lesson.

"I didn't see any point in going on some sort of 'Larry King' tour to offer a bunch of lame excuses for making an essentially reprehensible remark about innocent people who did not deserve to be made fun of," he said.

Every time he would get upset about the uproar in the media, Imus said, "I would remind myself that if I hadn't said what I said, then we wouldn't be having this discussion."

Again, Imus apologized to the basketball players and called the ensuing furor a "life-changing experience."

He talked about what it was like when he and his wife, Deirdre, met with the team, their coach and some of the players' parents and grandparents, for four hours the night he was fired from CBS Radio. The team members accepted Imus' apology that evening.

"I was there to save my life. I had already lost my job," he said. "They said they would never forget and I said I would never forget."

Imus' black sidekick is an Oxford-educated Texas cowgirl whose career has ranged from broadcast journalism to stand-up comedy, sources told The Post.

Karith Foster, a Harlem resident who grew up outside Dallas, was brought on by Imus to ease tension stirred up by his racist comment about the Rutgers women's basketball team, which got him booted in April, sources said.

Foster was raised in upscale Plano, Texas, which she describes on her Web site as having “the ethnic diversity of a Klan rally."

After earning a degree in broadcast journalism from Missouri's Stephens College, she went on to study at Oxford University in England before taking a reporting job at ABC.

She later moved to the production team of Barbara Walters' “The View" - where she was exposed to the world of stand-up comedy.

She was soon appearing at several top comedy clubs, including Caroline's in New York and LA's The Laugh Factory.

Foster's TV credits include NBC's “Last Comic Standing" and the original “Showtime at the Apollo."

Despite her Texas roots, “I'm really a Jewish girl from Long Island trapped in this body, which technically makes me a JA-AP [Jewish African-American Princess]," she jokes on her Web site.

“So it's not ‘talk to the hand,' but ‘talk to the manicure.'"

Imus' new show debuts today at 6 a.m. on WABC radio. A station spokesman declined comment.

December 3, 2007 -- Don Imus returned to airwaves after being fired for referring to the women's basketball team at Rutgers as "nappy-headed hos." This morning he talked about the incident, according to a transcript from Mediabistro.com:

6:20 A.M.: "I want to take a second to talk about what happened back on April 12th. ... what it means ... what it means for this program and what it means for the young women out of Rutgers.

"In thinking about what happened... I didn't see appoint in going on some Larry King tour to offer a bunch of lame excuses for making a reprehensible remark about innocent people who did not deserve to be made fun of.

"I think what happened is about what should have happened. I think one has to realize ...that you don't get to decide nor should you how the news media is going to treat you a remark you make. ...

"Every time that I got pissed off about that I reminded myself that if I hadn't said what I said then I wouldn't be having this discussion. ...

Les Moonves could not have been more honorable and decent and honest in dealing with me. ...

6:23 A.M.: "Whether you're a good person or not is completely unrelated and it doesn't give you any license to make any kind of remark you feel like making, and doesn't minimize the impact it has on who you make it about. ..."

6:25 A.M.: Describes meeting with Rutgers basketball team as close to a life-changing experience.

6:28 A.M.: "As I was talking to these young women, I realized that, other than placing in context for them who I was and that I wasn't some vicious racist and this is what we did for a living -- make fun of people -- that was so irrelevant to how they felt. ... It sounded to me as I listened to myself talk and as I looked at them, it just sounded like one lame excuse after another. ...

"They didn't think I was calling them prostitutes, but they didn't think it was funny either.

"One woman was this close to my face, just screaming. You could feel her heart break. And I realized how fortunate it was that I was fired. If I had been there apologizing and offering these excuses and still had my job, they would have thought that I was there to save my job and that may have been true. But I was there to save my life. I had already lost my job ... They forgave me, they accepted my apology and they said that they would never forget. And I said that I would never forget."

6:32 A.M.: "I analogized it to being an alcoholic and a drug addict, which I also am. If you get into recovery, which I am, for 20 some years now, you have an opportunity to be a better person and to have a better life than you ordinarily would have. And that's true in this situation because it was demonstrated to these young women that there are consequences for things you say. Would I rather have not gone through it? ... Absolutely."

6:33 A.M.: "We now have the opportunity to have a better program, to obviously diversity the cast -- I mean that just makes sense. But the program is not going to change. ... It is a great radio program. It's on a better radio station. ... I will never say anything in my lifetime that will make any of these young women at Rutgers regret or feel foolish that they accepted my apology and forgave me. And no one else will say anything on my program that will make anyone else think that I didn't deserve a second chance."

Back
Top Bottom