Imus Calls Rutgers Women's Basketball Team "Nappy Headed Hos"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Talk show host apologizes for calling NCAA runners-up 'nappy-headed hos'
The Associated Press
Updated: 5:33 p.m. ET April 6, 2007

NEW YORK - Radio host Don Imus apologized Friday for calling the Rutgers University women’s basketball team “nappy headed hos” on his nationally syndicated program.

The National Association of Black Journalists demanded his immediate firing after the man known as “Imus in the Morning” put his foot deep in his mouth Wednesday. Imus questioned the players’ looks, describing them as tattooed “rough girls.” His producer compared the team — which has eight black members — to the NBA’s Toronto Raptors.

Near the start of Friday’s show, Imus said he wanted to “apologize for an insensitive and ill-conceived remark we made the other morning referring to the Rutgers women’s basketball team.”

“It was completely inappropriate, and we can understand why people were offended. Our characterization was thoughtless and stupid, and we are sorry.”

Gregory Lee, an NABJ officer and senior assistant sports editor at The Boston Globe, said the mea culpa did little to atone for the comments.

“You can apologize, but what does that mean when you have a history of making disparaging remarks about people?” Lee asked about the acid-tongued Imus. “This kind of behavior must be punished. I hope the company and sponsors he has take some sort of action ... to educate him.”

NABJ President Bryan Monroe asked Thursday if Imus had “lost his mind” and called for the veteran radio host’s dismissal.

Imus was speaking with producer Bernard McGurk when the NCAA title game between Rutgers and Tennessee came up.

“That’s some rough girls from Rutgers,” Imus said. “Man, they got tattoos ...”

“Some hardcore hos,” said McGurk.

“That’s some nappy headed hos there, I’m going to tell you that,” Imus said.

Imus, a member of the National Broadcasters Hall of Fame and one of the nation’s best-known radio voices, is renowned for his caustic style and politically incorrect verbal broadsides. His show is syndicated to millions of listeners at more than 70 stations around the country.

WFAN-AM, the home of Imus’ show, declined comment. At MSNBC, where the radio program is simulcast on television, officials offered Imus no support.

“’Imus in the Morning’ is not a production of the cable network and is produced by WFAN Radio,” said a statement from the network. “As Imus makes clear every day, his views are not those of MSNBC. We regret that his remarks were aired on MSNBC and apologize for these offensive comments.”

In a joint statement, NCAA President Myles Brand and Rutgers President Richard McCormick condemned Imus’ slur.

“The NCAA and Rutgers University are offended by the insults on MSNBC’s Don Imus program toward the 10 young women on the Rutgers basketball team,” their statement read. “It is unconscionable that anyone would use the airways to utter such disregard for the dignity of human beings who have accomplished much and deserve great credit.”

Rutgers coach C. Vivian Stringer said in a statement, "I am deeply saddened and angered by Mr. Imus' statements regarding the members of the Rutgers women's basketball team. These talented, articulate young women put forth a great deal of hard work and effort this past season to reach the nation's grandest stage — the NCAA title game.

Throughout the year, these gifted young ladies set an example for the nation that through hard work and perseverance, you can accomplish anything if you believe. Without a doubt, this past season was my most rewarding in 36 years of coaching. This young team fought through immeasurable odds to reach the highest pinnacle and play for the school's first national championship in a major sport.

To serve as a joke of Mr. Imus in such an insensitive manner creates a wedge and makes light of the efforts of these classy individuals, both as women and as women of color. It is unfortunate Mr. Imus sought to tarnish Rutgers' spirit and success. Should we not, as adults, send a message of encouragement to young people to aspire to the highest levels as my team did this season?"

Not really shocking, Imus has been known for his racism, misogyny, and homophobia.

So of course he's perfect for certain demographics out there...

adams_k.jpg
ajavon_m.jpg
carson_e.jpg
jernigan_d.jpg
junaid_r.jpg
mccurdy_m.jpg
prince_e.jpg
ray_b.jpg
vaughn_k.jpg
zurich_h.jpg

martha said:

And people listen to him because....???

Exactly! Why do people of any civilized political persuasion keep listening to or watching any of these overpaid shock jocks, whether they are on TV or radio? I gave up sports talk radio two months ago, and my drive to and from work has been so much more pleasant listening to music. I gave up political talk shows (tv & radio) many years ago. I occasionally watch Scarborough, but my wife made me change the channel the other night because he and all his guests were yelling about something. I watched the YouTube clip of O'Reilly/Geraldo that someone posted in the other thread, and it reminded me why those shows annoy me so much.

If I don't watch them, they don't annoy me; and if I read about their stupid comments in the news, then I only roll my eyes and/or laugh at them. It's a societal side effect of free speech/press, because even idiots, racists, etc. have that right. But unfortunately it's necessary.

~U2Alabama

Last edited:
BonoVoxSupastar said:

Well there are some even here in FYM who I'm pretty sure would be big fans...

I listen to him almost daily. Not to listen to him....but to hear the Washington guests that he somehow manages to get on his show period.

Be it Kerry, McCain, Russert, I feel that I stay in touch politically by listening.

Dreadsox said:

I listen to him almost daily. Not to listen to him....but to hear the Washington guests that he somehow manages to get on his show period.

Be it Kerry, McCain, Russert, I feel that I stay in touch politically by listening.

Similarly, I will likely tune in to sports talk radio occasionally when college football season returns - if there is a relevant guest on the show.

~U2Alabama

Dreadsox said:

Oh, I listened to him as well, not daily, but I found many of his comments and stances to be completely bigoted or sexist.

And most of what I'm talking about came from his other show, before he became more "political".

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Oh, I listened to him as well, not daily, but I found many of his comments and stances to be completely bigoted or sexist.

And most of what I'm talking about came from his other show, before he became more "political".

I would agree with that statement. The show is built around guests.....with filler in between.....and that filler in betweeen is all about how close can we get to the line.

Dreadsox said:

this is why i tune into Imus as well. he also conducts a good interview, better than the suck-ups of Oprah or Larry King.

But by listening to this freak, and boosting his ratings, you're all participating in this. You become a willing participant in his rantings. If you're willing to do that, go ahead, but none of his willing listeners can really complain about him. You're the very people keeping him on the air, keeping his ratings high, giving him the approval to talk like he does.

The reason I posted the pictures of these young college girls,
is that I hoped it would put a human face
on these "nappy headed hos"

These are very young women

I don't know anything about what they may or may not have overcome to get into college and make the team
They should be feeling good about themselves and their accomplishments
They fell one victory short of a national championship
That must be difficult
and then Imus gives them this?

When Mel Gibson let his "inner Anti-Semite" out

there were some that said, "Well, he is one heck of a film maker. let's not forget that"

Now, we have Imus letting his "inner sexist, bigot" out :huh:

I with Martha on this one.

there is a very thin line between comedy and racism. one that many try to tip toe, and sometimes that causes them to step over that line. all great comedy (which i'm not saying imus is) comes dangerously close to that line... be it seinfeld, chris rock, richard pryor, etc. etc.

i suppose many who of those who are calling imus a racist now weren't listening to the great interview he had last week with the widow of bishop g.e. patterson.

:shrug:

perhaps mister aaaymus should have used chaaaracters.

Well in my experience as a female-whenever I might start to feel good about myself or any of my accomplishments, there's always at least one male who knows how to make me feel like crap about myself, and who will. That's not a blanket sexist statement, it's simply my life experience. There are plenty who won't-but sadly they really can't completely make up for the one who does.

But I'm not an African American female, and I don't have to be degraded in a national platform.Their looks and race have zero to do wtih their performance as athletes or their accomplishments. And they are certainly not "hos" and no one has the right to call them hos.

if it were a female who called them ho's, would we be having this discussion?

a regular character on imus was john cardinal o'connor... who was portrayed as the stereotypical irish immigrant.

they use mets GM omar minya is a character, portraying him as the sterotypical hispanic.

:shrug: it's the show... it's a comedy show. it tip toe's the line. it's not for everyone... some like it, some don't. a large number of the biggest political movers and shakers are regular guests on the program... black, white, hispanic, male, female alike.

Well, nappy-headed hos", I think that cuts every line.
It can't be considered joke really.
There are just words that are not necessary in comedy, especially when the "targets" are not media professionals or something that can cope with some more.
These are normal college girls, and there you should watch your mouth.
People in the media should sometimes think before they open their mouths, especially about the person they are aiming it.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
:shrug: it's the show... it's a comedy show.

Really? I don't listen to it much, but I thought Howard Stern is more of a comedy show. I guess some people consider Ann Coulter a comedian too, and brush off her comments as well, but I don't. Imus has used similar epithets as Coulter has in the past.

video clip of the segment from MSNBC
if it were a female who called them ho's, would we be having this discussion?

:shrug: it's the show... it's a comedy show. it tip toe's the line. it's not for everyone... some like it, some don't. a large number of the biggest political movers and shakers are regular guests on the program... black, white, hispanic, male, female alike.
Can you honestly imagine a trio of female broadcasters saying that stuff? How would you feel if one of those players were your daughter, or if you were their coach?

I'm not familiar with Don Imus, so I don't have much context as to what his show is usually like. But I don't see any skillful comic wielding of hot-button stereotypes to make a point there, just three men mean-spiritedly deriding a group of ordinary college athletes who weren't up to anything more than playing in a championship game. I could see shrugging it off if they'd left it at the "rough girls, they got tattoos...whoah!" bit, but the rest of the interchange went several steps beyond an idle passing dig. "Hardcore nappy-headed hos", "jigaboos vs. wannabes"-- the intended sentiment was that 'tough'-looking black female athletes are grotesque freaks of nature and an insult to the eyes, that much was very clear. I don't see the daring risque humor in that at all, and I can't imagine he'd say that to any guest's face.

At least he did publically apologize...I can't really understand saying "Ah, that's just Imus for ya" though.

Last edited:
He can make fun of catholics and crackers, not to mention just about everybody under the red sun, all he wants. but make a remark which is so flippant and vague to be taken as a direct racial perjorative.......

This is a pathetic discourse we have in this country.

Wake up.

My point above being....

We have such a sensitive nature to certain things and such a blind eye to things standing in the same ballpark as the other.

We as a society bring about uproar to pull out apologies just for the sake of stomping out the small fire.

Who gives a flying fuck?

Don Imus talks about all kinds of issues on his show, from corruption in government to autism in children, he's also a very GREEN friendly program.

Say something flippant, well.......

Fuck this 'ready to be offended' crowd who is interested in NOTHING you have to say up until the point you say something that might be offensive .

Be offended.

Inner El Guapo said:

Fuck this 'ready to be offended' crowd who is interested in NOTHING you have to say up until the point you say something that might be offensive .

It seems as if you are more offended by the reaction to Imus' comments than his comments. Interesting.

Inner El Guapo said:
My point above being....

We have such a sensitive nature to certain things and such a blind eye to things standing in the same ballpark as the other.

We as a society bring about uproar to pull out apologies just for the sake of stomping out the small fire.

Who gives a flying fuck?

Don Imus talks about all kinds of issues on his show, from corruption in government to autism in children, he's also a very GREEN friendly program.

Say something flippant, well.......

Be offended.

Oh, poor Don Imus. He had to apologize for being a racist, sexist boor. My heart just bleeds for him.

Inner El Guapo said:
Who gives a flying fuck?

Those who have been called "jigaboos" and "nappy-headed" when the race was enslaved and lynched.

Those are poisonous words. They have no place in the context in which they were used.

I'm sure others have been offended by his other remarks. Don't assume that they weren't just because you didn't hear their complaints.

And his willingness to offend others doesn't excuse his behavior, nor does his alleged "green" ness.

Your willingness to excuse racism is disturbing.

ntalwar said:

Really? I don't listen to it much, but I thought Howard Stern is more of a comedy show. I guess some people consider Ann Coulter a comedian too, and brush off her comments as well, but I don't. Imus has used similar epithets as Coulter has in the past.

don imus may have the biggest names in american politics on his show, but he is still a shock jock. it's his job to push the envelope. don imus was a hero of howard stern when stern was young.

you can label him a racist all you want. you can completely ignore his close friendship with the late bishop g.e. patterson. you can call him an asshole. you can completely ignore that he takes thousands of children suffering from cancer, black children, white children, hispanic children... ALL children... to his ranch, on his dime, as an escape for these suffering young kids. you can call him an anti-semite because he's made jokes about jews. you can completly ignore that he's organized a telethon for sudden infant death syndrome only because someone he worked with, who happens to be jewish, had a child die from SIDS... a telethon that has raised millions of dollars towards research for SIDS.

don imus is a good man who gets paid to push the envelope and pushed it a bit too far. i in no way agree with his comments and think he was wrong to say what he said. but to fire him? no way.

it's amazing how many people are quick to jump on a guy, yet have never listened to him on a regular basis and only really know of him by hearsay. i'd like all of those who are outraged to look into their own souls and ask themselves if they've ever said and/or laughed at a joke that was derogitory towards a group of people... be they blacks, whites, polish, irish, gays, jews... whoever. if the answer is no, and it's an honest no, then you're better people than all of us. if the answer is yes, which most of the answers will be, then i think you shouldn't be so quick to judge.

Last edited:
I don't see where anyone in this thread said Imus should be fired or was advocating any particular action against him.

I have no idea what kind of human being he is overall, there's no way I could know something like that, and I'm not interested in passing some kind of judgment on his character--just his/Rosenberg's/McGuirk's comments last Wednesday morning. I do know what I would feel like if I were one of those basketball players, their coach, their families or friends, and that's the perspective I'm looking at it from. I doubt it would make them feel better to know he was a close friend of Bishop G.E. Patterson or that he runs a SIDS telethon or supports autism research--why should it?

I don't think he should be fired for this and I doubt he will be, but I also don't see what's so galling about finding their lack of regard for the way that comment might make the (clearly identifiable group of) young Black women athletes it caricatured feel, to be contemptible. It isn't analogous to laughing at a generalized racial joke, and while I'm not "outraged" by the incident and wouldn't waste that level on concern on a radio show, I don't see anything unreasonable at all in condemning it.

Last edited:
there is a very thin line between comedy and racism. one that many try to tip toe, and sometimes that causes them to step over that line. all great comedy (which i'm not saying imus is) comes dangerously close to that line... be it seinfeld, chris rock, richard pryor, etc. etc.

Usually the best way to avoid stepping over that line is to avoid joking about minorities unless you happen to be a member of that minority group yourself.

Everyone's familiar with old unspoken rule, "I can complain about my mother all I want, but let somebody else start talking about her and we have a problem."

Same principle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom