Imus Calls Rutgers Women's Basketball Team "Nappy Headed Hos"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a lot of the reason why these threads get so much attention is because of white middle class guilt.

So are you saying there are some that are guilty that feel guilt?

and then there are some that are just in complete denial?

financeguy said:
I think a lot of the reason why these threads get so much attention is because of white middle class guilt.

Or maybe because it's been dominating the US news.
But probably not Ireland's news.

Looks like Obama joined the Nappy Headed Pimp club with Rev Sharpton

Obama: Fire Imus

Obama First White House Contender to Call for Imus Firing Over Racial Slur

By JAKE TAPPER

April 11, 2007— In an interview with ABC News Wednesday afternoon, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., called for talk radio host Don Imus to be fired, and said he would never again appear on his show, which is broadcast on CBS Radio and MSNBC television.

"I understand MSNBC has suspended Mr. Imus," Obama told ABC News, "but I would also say that there's nobody on my staff who would still be working for me if they made a comment like that about anybody of any ethnic group. And I would hope that NBC ends up having that same attitude."

Shouldn't he really recuse himself.
Doesn't he have two daughters that could end up playing basketball?

How can he be objective?
and empathise with an older white man that has actually been nice to sick Negro children.

I bet Imus has helped more Negro children than Barak Hussein Obama.

Last edited:
General Motors and drug maker GlaxoSmithKline pulled their advertising from shows hosted by Don Imus on Wednesday, striking a blow to the shock-jock and broadcasters who carry him.

American Express and Home loans Web site Ditech.com also said they would withdraw their ads.

They joined companies including household products maker Procter & Gamble Co. and office supplies retailer Staples Inc. in pulling their support amid an outcry over an on-air racial slur by Imus about the Rutgers University women's basketball team.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8OEM9M81&show_article=1

MSNBC Drops Imus Simulcast Amid Furor

Apr 11 06:43 PM US/Eastern
By DAVID CRARY
AP National Writer

NEW YORK (AP) - MSNBC said Wednesday it will drop its simulcast of the "Imus in the Morning" radio program, responding to growing outrage over the radio host's racial slur against the Rutgers women's basketball team.
"This decision comes as a result of an ongoing review process, which initially included the announcement of a suspension. It also takes into account many conversations with our own employees," NBC news said in a statement.

The decision also was announced on air.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed

Well looks like Justice(revenge) got their way. What would God say to the hypocrites. I am against what he said, but were are the defenders of freedom of speech and those who say God would not want us to seek revenge and where is the forgivness we preach?? A story blown out of proportion thanks to the media.

Look he gets it!!!
Edwards On Imus Spat: 'I Believe In Forgiveness'
Presidential Candidate Stays Mum On Future Imus Appearances

Marcia Kramer
Reporting

(CBS) MAMARONECK, N.Y. Democratic Presidential candidate John Edwards' spoke exclusively to CBS 2 on Wednesday morning about the Don Imus and Rutgers University controversy, and though he feels Imus deserves a second chance, he wasn't so sure about his future on Imus' popular radio show.

Edwards' campaign trail took a stop in New York today where he worked side-by-side with health care aides in a Westchester nursing. There, he took time to talk to CBS 2 Political Reporter Marcia Kramer about the Imus fallout.

"I believe in redemption, I believe in forgiveness," Edwards said of Imus, who was suspended earlier in the week after calling the Rutgers women's basketball team "nappy headed hos." Since then, Imus has repeatedly apologized for his comments and met with Rev. Al Sharpton, who called for the outspoken radio host's firing. Imus has also agreed to meet with the Rutgers team, who would not comment on whether or not they believed he should be fired.

Unlike candidates Rudy Giuliani and John McCain, who say they will continue to appear on Imus' radio show, Edwards says he hasn't seen enough from the shock jock to make that decision just yet.

"What he said is wrong because it's wrong. It has to be condemned, we have to speak out when people use this kind of language," Edwards said. "This is a very serious matter, it should be taken very seriously."

Edwards' visit was part of the "Work a Day in My Shoes" program sponsored by the influential Service Employees International Union, where presidential candidates spend time with health care workers to understand the challenges of their jobs. His wife Elizabeth, who is battling a recurrence of breast cancer, was not with him today.

"She's really doing very well, she's an amazing woman," he said.

Obama runs with the crowd.
Obama: Fire Imus
By JAKE TAPPER

April 11, 2007— In an interview with ABC News Wednesday afternoon, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., called for the firing of talk radio host Don Imus. Obama said he would never again appear on Imus' show, which is broadcast on CBS Radio and MSNBC television.

"I understand MSNBC has suspended Mr. Imus," Obama told ABC News, "but I would also say that there's nobody on my staff who would still be working for me if they made a comment like that about anybody of any ethnic group. And I would hope that NBC ends up having that same attitude."

Obama said he appeared once on Imus' show two years ago, and "I have no intention of returning."

Racial Slur Stirs Trouble for Shock Jock

Last week, Imus referred to the Rutgers University women's basketball team, most of whom are African-American, as "nappy-headed hos." He has since apologized for his remarks, and CBS and MSNBC suspended his show for two weeks.

"He didn't just cross the line," Obama said. "He fed into some of the worst stereotypes that my two young daughters are having to deal with today in America. The notions that as young African-American women — who I hope will be athletes — that that somehow makes them less beautiful or less important. It was a degrading comment. It's one that I'm not interested in supporting."

Though every major presidential candidate has decried the racist remarks, Obama is the first one to say Imus should lose his job for them.

His proclamation was the latest in an ever-expanding list of bad news for Imus.

Sponsors, including American Express Co., General Motors Corp., Procter & Gamble Co., and Staples Inc. — have announced they are pulling advertisements from the show for the indefinite future.

Tuesday, the basketball team held a press conference.

"I think that this has scarred me for life," said Matee Ajavon. "We grew up in a world where racism exists, and there's nothing we can do to change that."

"What we've been seeing around this country is this constant ratcheting up of a coarsening of the culture that all of have to think about," Obama said.

"Insults, humor that degrades women, humor that is based in racism and racial stereotypes isn't fun," the senator told ABC News.

"And the notion that somehow it's cute or amusing, or a useful diversion, I think, is something that all of us have to recognize is just not the case. We all have First Amendment rights. And I am a constitutional lawyer and strongly believe in free speech, but as a culture, we really have to do some soul-searching to think about what kind of toxic information are we feeding our kids," he concluded.

Clayton Sandell contributed to this report.

Pot and kettle meet again.

Justin24 said:

Well looks like Justice(revenge) got their way. What would God say to the hypocrites. I am against what he said, but were are the defenders of freedom of speech and those who say God would not want us to seek revenge and where is the forgivness we preach?? A story blown out of proportion thanks to the media.

Wow. You've got some nerve. Remember the thread about the freeway memorial?

Justin, you're being ridiculous yet again. Honestly, sometimes I wonder if you think before you write at all.

Don Imus' freedom of speech was not infringed on. Corporate advertisers and hosts of his show elected to no longer support him. This is their prerogative and their right. No government action moved to restrict his freedom of expression. You don't understand this right at all. AT ALL.

anitram said:
Justin, you're being ridiculous yet again. Honestly, sometimes I wonder if you think before you write at all.

Don Imus' freedom of speech was not infringed on. Corporate advertisers and hosts of his show elected to no longer support him. This is their prerogative and their right. No government action moved to restrict his freedom of expression. You don't understand this right at all. AT ALL.

By removing him, that is a form of cencorship. I don't know how many times I have tried to explain things in this thread, but it seems as though there are packs of lemmings who say "Agree" at the same time

OMG how can I forget this. Where was the call for Isaiah Washingtons removal for his bigot remarks???

Thank You I rest my case.

Since when does a private corporation owe to keep people on the air? They have a right to remove people from their roster, and advertisers have a right NOT to pay. You want to force them to keep supporting him financially?

You are the one who keeps bringing up freedom of speech even though you're wrong every single time, but you keep at it. His freedom of speech IS not being infringed. He is welcome to say whatever the hell he wants. He is NOT being censored from saying anything. He's just not being financially compensated for it. Which part of that is so difficult for you to understand?

anitram said:
Since when does a private corporation owe to keep people on the air? They have a right to remove people from their roster, and advertisers have a right NOT to pay. You want to force them to keep supporting him financially?

You are the one who keeps bringing up freedom of speech even though you're wrong every single time, but you keep at it. His freedom of speech IS not being infringed. He is welcome to say whatever the hell he wants. He is NOT being censored from saying anything. He's just not being financially compensated for it. Which part of that is so difficult for you to understand?

But I keep hearing for people to Fire him, not just advertisers what don't you get about that?

So what??

If NBC wants to fire him because of pressure or because their employees feel uncomfortable or because they can't get advertisers dollars, that is their right. What are you confused about? They are not censoring him. They do not owe him a duty to keep him on the air or keep him paid. He was released from his contract and that is their absolute right.

He can say what he wants. NBC doesn't have to keep him as an employee. You have no argument here, and frankly I realize I'm just wasting my time.

anitram said:
So what??

If NBC wants to fire him because of pressure or because their employees feel uncomfortable or because they can't get advertisers dollars, that is their right. What are you confused about? They are not censoring him. They do not owe him a duty to keep him on the air or keep him paid. He was released from his contract and that is their absolute right.

He can say what he wants. NBC doesn't have to keep him as an employee. You have no argument here, and frankly I realize I'm just wasting my time.

Waisting time because you only want things in your favor and don't like to look at all angles?

Justin24 said:

But I keep hearing for people to Fire him, not just advertisers what don't you get about that?
That is the public outcry that may well force the hand of his employers to get rid of him is not an issue of free speech; it is about how those employers have the right to fire an employee who is a liability.

Free speech issues would be if he was going to be put on trial for hate speech in a court or if some outside authority forced the network to censor the program.

I say that as somebody who is consistently pro-free speech and thinks this makes a better example of how a free society should deal with bigotry than the inevitable defending of any number of racists or fanatics right to protest or speak.

Please tell me why Isaiah Washington wasn't fired!!!! Is it because he is a minority? Or that he went to take therapy classes? Where was Jesse Jackson or Al Shaprton to say what a asshole Washington is? Or were they busy swindling money having sex with woman from their congregation?

Justin, you are WAY out of your depth and need to calm down and back off.

And don't ever go around calling people hypocrites for not protecting freedom of speech when you had an entire thread based on the notion of taking away the freedom of speech of someone you didn't agree with.

Washington wasn't fired for want of a public outcry--did you not read the thread in here about that? Furthermore, he doesn't have his own show and didn't make those remarks on GA so it's a bit different.

NO ONE in this thread advocated Imus being "fired", and Dread and Irvine were the only people I saw explicitly advocating a temporary suspension. I think you're confusing posters supporting the right of others to speak out against him publically with the reactions of advertisers and networks to that. This will all blow over in a couple weeks anyhow, so personally I'm surprised MSNBC had the reaction they did. Anyhow his show will still be on the radio so far as I can tell.

And I agree with Diemen that you're getting way too worked up about this. No one else in here on either "side" is that agitated.

Last edited:
Diemen said:
Justin, you are WAY out of your depth and need to calm down and back off.

And don't ever go around calling people hypocrites for not protecting freedom of speech when you had an entire thread based on the notion of taking away the freedom of speech of someone you didn't agree with.

Actually if you look at the other thread and this one they coinside. Why????

The other one is asking/demanding their sons name be removed from the memorial, but you say no because it's freedom of speech. Don Imus says some comments and people, and corporations demand he be removed thus taking his job/freedom to speak and then being feathered and tarred for his comments.

And is there a corporation in a position to remove the names from the memorial?

yolland said:
Washington wasn't fired for want of a public outcry--did you not read the thread in here about that? Furthermore, he doesn't have his own show and didn't make those remarks on ER so it's a bit different.

NO ONE in this thread advocated Imus being "fired", and Dread and Irvine were the only people I saw explicitly advocating a temporary suspension. I think you're confusing posters supporting the right of others to speak out against him publically with the reactions of advertisers and networks to that. This will all blow over in a couple weeks anyhow, so personally I'm surprised MSNBC had the reaction they did. Anyhow his show will still be on the radio so far as I can tell.

And I agree with Diemen that you're getting way too worked up about this. No one else in here on either "side" is that agitated.

The reason I am so aggiated is because the unfairness of the situation.

Even though it's not his show, would you want a bigot to remain on the show, that could possibly lower raitings?
And the reason there was no outcry is because what Irvine has been saying that Homosexuality is the last hold out on Hate.

There is no such thing as common sense anymore. Common sense is bad, exceptional sense is better.:yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom