Im scared of todays kids!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mad1

ONE love, blood, life
Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LO
...its true, I really am.............

Now of course where I live, yes the two divided communities and all that, fightin started and all that and guns obv. have been involved...............but Im talkin about the fact that over her, the parents stay in while their kids and many many others go out and fight the police, each other.......etc.......

....and believe me, in today's world its bloomin scary!!!!!

Just the other day beside a busy road I was on there were like 60 kids out, with police around them, and the kids firing stuff at the police (no surprise there in this country), and these kids are quite capable of attacking your car, getting you out and stealing it, and they all under 18 while ur an adult over 21!!!!!!!!!!!! and you can suddenly feel a bit shit in feeling afraid of them, even when your older and bigger than them...............again its the number in the crowd, isnt it....

Its not just there, fact I read, see on news everyday kids in Uk, all over, the street crime rate going up, the gangs of them going around kicking someone's head in for 30p or a mobile...........I even saw on TV one girl be beaten to the ground by kids younger than her, just for her rings................................................its very scary.............

Thugs, bullies, etc, all walking round............tough, but showing toughness through chewing, bad hairstyles, a certain 'walk', being with other mates mouthing round at pple..............Im truly, honestly scared of today's kid gangs, etc

I cant walk down a street without seeing a gang of 'lads with caps' and feel that if I walk through them they'll hurl abuse......or could easily decide to pick on me........yet Im older than them! There was a time I would not have been afraid or felt intimidated......but actual fact, since Ive had my car, using it feels safer........of course its safer for on dark nights but, maybe thats why I feel what I feel, yet at the same time, the truth is out there that todays kids are not like kids 10 years ago.........

(sorry Im repeatin here
biggrin.gif
)

anyway...........they must feel good about intimadating pple........they have nothing else to do but steal cars, and joyride, or abuse passer-bys, or even shoplift/vandalise places.......

Forget Youth Clubs................theres one near me, and as far as Im concerned the place has just turned into a 'dive' for the gangs to hang out and plan their next mission.........

Well in Belfast thats what I feel they do.........

Im sure other pple here experience it in their countrys.............................

*groan*

its moments like these with the kids like this that makes me wish I didnt live here too.....
frown.gif

Maddy sometimes you scare the crap out of me ? but that?s not necessarily a bad thing.

You know I am a mom of 2 small children ? both girls. I hope I am bringing them up to know respect, right and wrong, and to know their own minds.

A lot of kids today seem to be followers ? looking for a group that they can become a part of ? of course that?s good and bad.

It scares the crap out of me knowing what the world is like today as opposed to when I was growing up. Of course I guess we are sheltered over here. I have never quite understood why people kill over faith. I mean passionate is one thing but isn?t their a commandement ?thou shalt love thy neighbour?. But that?s another topic.

Anyhow, I guess I can count my blessings that I live in a place like Canada. I hope and pray every day that god willing my kids are able to grow up and see the adult days because today you just never know.

Many times, kids do not understand what kind of problems their actions cause - especially in a group setting. Especially in a situation like Belfast. I would be scared of these kids too.

It reminds me of that book (the tilte that has completely escaped me right now - brain fart) where the kids are on an island with no adults...Lord of the Flys???? (that would be a cool Interference nick).

Until they are put in a situation themselves (receiving end) or, they mature, they will not understand.

The kids are not that much different now than they were when we were there (weather it was my age, Maddie's age, Icelady's age or my father's age). they may have different tatics 0 but they are no different.

Think about the "English Football Hooligans" of the 80's. A lot of the "hooligans" were younger kids recruited by 20-somethings not working.

Any way

I guess I see it in this country, its gotten worse....................it wasnt like that in 1992..................

I still blame parents in a way too (forgive me......
smile.gif
) but thats because a parent whos grown up rough, loudmouthed and very street-wise.............well, its gonna reflect on their kids isnt it? Plus, a 'rough' streetful of kids............never changes............

Originally posted by mad1:
I guess I see it in this country, its gotten worse....................it wasnt like that in 1992..................

smile.gif
) but thats because a parent whos grown up rough, loudmouthed and very street-wise.............well, its gonna reflect on their kids isnt it? Plus, a 'rough' streetful of kids............never changes............

man I so hope I'm not one of those parents. I do yell at soccer games at times, and have been known to yell at my kids at times....I know it's not the same over here as over there....and I guess for that I am thankful.

You know Maddy you always make me think...have you ever wondered what made it so that you are there and not somewhere else.

When I see the middle east I always think My word what brings me here instead of there...and then I kiss the ground...wish it were different and better for the kids over there

oh Im sorry, I dont mean to offend anyone..
frown.gif

(its a community family Im talking about here, from over here.........)

sorry.......

that, or else Im just easily scared...............I need toughned up...............who could help me?

biggrin.gif

This post has got a song stuck in my head:

Kids....

I don't know whats wrong with these kids today

Kids....

Who can understand a word they say
Why can't they be like we were
perfect in everyway.......

yuk i know! maddie u know the way if u go to dublin at like 10 at night there r loadsa ppl out and about....anyway here its scary the center of belfast is sooooo quiet and scary and then a big group of "lads with caps" (spides!
biggrin.gif
) walk about shouting obscenities at you I HATE THAT! and all that rioting they r doing as well at the moment...its a bunch of children..... and in town on a saturday the city hall the "goths" just sit in the black clothes trying to get drunk...oh man i hate it there.....

I wish i didnt live here.....i wanna live in Dublin
rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by zonelistener:

Kids....

Kids....

Dammit zone! Now I have the orchestral arrangement to that stuck in my head (I played in the pit for that musical [Bye Bye Birdie] this year)!!

Well, uhm, my place here would be to try and defend kids my age and say that they're good deep down. But I can't do that. 'Cos they aren't. They're materialistic self-centered and most of all cruel. They have no sense of other people's perspectives. I can't tell you how many cruel things have been said to me or what I've heard said about/to other kids. It makes me feel like shit about my generation, that we're a bunch of spoiled brats that have no responsibility. Maturation seems not to have set in on these kids, be they my age (seniors in high school) or college aged, there's no responsibility for acitons. It's paining to see that this is the group that 'represents' me to people outside of my generation, because we are not all like this at all. And take what Zooman91 said there, at least you don't have to go to school with them. Seriously though, how many of you had 'gun scares' at your school where you would PRACTICE hiding from armed gunmen IN YOUR SCHOOL wanting to KILL YOU? It's a sick feeling that overwhelms me on the days we practice those right before we do tornado & fire drills. I don't know how to 'solve' the problem of kids being hooligans, because kids will always be 'hooligans.' They have the least to lose, and therefore push the most. And most, like myself, are not all about authority. But at least I know when to obey...Responsibility needs to begin to be a theme when parenting again, because it obviously wasn't a priority among many of my peer's parents. Just today I heard a kid say, "It doesn't matter, if you are a professional sports player, you can do whatever you want." When asked if Stephen Hawking or other geniouses can do what they please because they, too have money, he responded, "No, you have to play sports to do what you want." WTF? How do you even reverse such thoughts? You can't reason with someone who has no reasoning! Blargh. But yeah, I don't have an answer, maybe someday I will, maybe someday SOMEONE at least will. Until then, we need to rely on parenting and being a good aunt or uncle or cousin or friend and helping eachother become good people so our world is not such an irritating, and in some cases fearful, place to be.

------------------
"Just tell 'em what they wanna hear & nobody will complain."

Maddie, I feel the same way you do...

There're a large gang of kids near where I live. They often act like they own that area. You're not allow to look at them or they'll pick on you immediately. They won't hurt you but what they yell to you is really bad. If you're a pretty girl, they'll say something nasty (and I mean very nasty!). They'll 'invite' you to their home, they'll ask you to sleep with them... (well... in a not-so-good way of asking of course)

At the age of 16, I think I'm still qualified of being a kid. But I just can't stand the younger generations of kids nowadays. I don't know if it's the same in other places, but in Hong Kong, the kids are too pessimistic, not responsible enough and too materialistic.

I read the news today and I saw a 'what does the kids want the most' survey. The result shows that about half of the kids want more money instead of their parents' love. However, at the same time, I heard a lot of the kids blame their parents 'never give them enough love that they need'. Isn't that ironic when they've chosen money above their parents' love?
rolleyes.gif

Also, the rate of suicide among kids is sky-high here. Most of the reasons are either 1. they quarrelled with their friends; or 2. something's going wrong in their life, and that 'something' are things like got caught cheating in an exam, or broke his or her mom's vase and afraid of being scold...
icon25.gif

It really must be the same story everywhere, just different environment, different reasons for the angry kids. We have so many different gangs here its unbelievable. No matter where you come from or where your parents were born, some group out there will hate you. Its possibly a localised problem in certain parts of Sydney, and we also have a big drug problem. I sometimes wonder if our racial issues are overlooked because we take a look at whats going on overseas and kinda dont pay attention to whats happening to our own kids, they are growing up hating each other and there doesnt seem to be anything that can be done about it, or a great number of people willing to help identify the causes due to fear of the repurcussions.

But thats all an argument or debate for another day.

Maddie, I dont have a clue what can be done with your average thug. Kids have most definately changed. I wonder too what is different about the parents of today. Maybe it is cos these parents grew up well, so they may be blase and think my folks did a great job, my kids will turn out fine too. I dunno.

[This message has been edited by Angela Harlem (edited 04-05-2002).]

smile.gif
I agree, there's this kid, same age as mine (7 yrs old), 2 houses away, and (forgive me for saying this) but my wife and I refer to him as the "street rat". He's been hangin out in the street from dusk till dawn since he was 3 and the mother never even cares where he is. The kid has no rules, no bedtime and twice this month he didn't go to school (1st grade) yet he was outside playing all day. Probably been out of school about 15 days this year alone that I know of. Sorry but if mine doesn't go to school because he's sick, then he ain't goin out playin at all that day. I've seen her take off down the street and leave while the kid is at the bus stop and the bus hasn't even come yet. He pushes all the other kids in the neighborhood around and the mother never says squat. I try to limit the time my kid hangs around with him cause if I stop him from hanging around with him alltogether, mine will get blackballed by all the other kids. I can only imagine when "street rat" is about 13, he'll be into drugs by then and doing b&e's or something. My neighboorhood has about 10 kids in it and the place would be so much better if "the mother who could give a shit what her kid does" would just pack up and move away. All the other kids are influenced by this little "punk" and act up when he's around them. I hate to call a 7 yr old a "punk", but damnit, that's all he is thanks to his mother. In this case, who to blame but the parent....

hmmmmmm, I understand about u keepin ur kids from him ZOOTB, but let me ask u, (or anyone else if they read back here
biggrin.gif
)

..do u think its a struggle for the parent/parents, when their kids go to school and while the parent/parents might be trying to bring them up decent, kids at school may be trying to roughen them up more, to join in......therefore the kid rebels against parents and all it was taught?

Its also that 'bully' thing too, isnt it.......not every kid gets it.......but I see bullies as sad......

I was only ever bullied once,,,,,,,this thick bitch in my class counted to ten to make me get up and dance in front of the others at lunchtime, no one knew she was saying this to me, (of course everyones natterin at lunchtime), and I didnt, so she threatened to beat me up after school...........I was a bit nervous but did not take her that seriously as I intended to escape as quick as poss. after last lesson anyway just in case......but hey, she got me and took me round to the back of these houses, being real wierd..............I did cry, I admit.........easily intimidated, but the one ting she said to me that really had me raising eyebrows was her asking me to take all me clothes off.............fucking hell!!!!

I didnt, just kept crying therefore she felt bad and let it go, saying it was our secret........

Now if I was to meet that same girl now....Id fuking be ready for her, both mouth and physically....

YEAH!!!!!

biggrin.gif

anyway..................I do tink kids get more influenced at schools too............

it saddens me.....
frown.gif

Kid's today need a good sound caning, and everything will be a tad bit better. What is needed is to bring back the cane in the school system; the problem with today's society and its youth is simple - no one fears anything anymore.

What is needed is caning in the schools, and tougher prison sentences in adult life, preferably using MY unique prison system that allows torture in certain circumstances.

Draconian, maybe. Effective? I guarantee it.

Ant.

I honestly dont tink caning would go down well in todays society.........the kids would end up burnin the school they were caned in that very same day.

Today's society is over-pampered, and has a very big mouth speaking thoughts from an uneducated mind; I do believe in certain repression of certain individuals hell-bent on destroying everything for Society. Vandalism and the burning of the school would be combatted, I'm speaking of an overhaul, not SIMPLY bringing back the cane, but also bringing in tougher sentences for criminals, including youths.

For one thing, I'd like to see more children (say around the age of eleven or twelve) being sent to correction facilities that are bleeding well tough on them. Give them cells, give them beatings for their foul language and stike some discpline into their substance, as well as educating them, not just in academics, but in manners and decency their parents were either too frightened or incompetent to do so.

Enough slap-on-the-wrist treatment, the more we hold back the more freedom will be abused, and the more understandably frightened people like mad1 will be of toady's youth. The corruption of society must end.

Ant.

Sorry for the double-post, needless to say I got carried away.

Ant.

[This message has been edited by Anthony (edited 04-08-2002).]

I remember you posting a similar reply once in regards to punishment in correctional facilities Ant, actually the thread may have been about capital punishment. Anyways I agreed with a lot of what you said back then but still find that we will one day have to work out exactly where responsibility begins. And I guess where it ends. I dont think anyone can come up with a perfect solution especially when kids are involved. Adults are a different matter I think, but with kids, how can we really get some sort of universal measure to begin laying responsibility on them? I dont think that an eleven year old has a clue about the bigger picture. I think as soon as kids show awareness they know right from wrong. And that I think starts from a very young age, even before they reach school. But can we show an eleven year old exactly where they are heading and the larger ramifications of their actions with an idea of teaching them? I guess my biggest disagreeance with your idea (and this is probably the only one) is that sure they can learn behaviours, they can be swayed in the other direction before the troubles even really start, but will they understand why?

..do u think its a struggle for the parent/parents, when their kids go to school and while the parent/parents might be trying to bring them up decent, kids at school may be trying to roughen them up more, to join in......therefore the kid rebels against parents and all it was taught?

Yeah, I think in a sense kids will pick up things at school no matter what values you try to instill in them. Actually, I checked with the school before school started this year to see who else was in his class and turned out that street rat was gonna be in same class as my kid. I simply told the school that they were neighbors and I didn't think mine would do so well if they were in the same class, so they switched them around. Mine has always done very well in school and I feared he would act up if he were in the same class, so I was very lucky that they split them up for me. I think the other kids do have an influence. It's a constant struggle because I am trying to raise my kids to be decent (which deep down he really does have a good heart) but after playing with street rat sometimes he will come home being mouthy and talkin tough, but we just bring him right back down to earth, telling him "look, he may get away with it and not have any rules, but you do, and the reason you do is because we care about you". Being a parent, nothing in this world makes me more angry than parents who look the other way and do absolutly nothing to instill any values whatsoever in their kids. I've been in mcdonalds play areas before where some kids are just pushing other kids around and the parents are right there and don't say a word. Then there's another type of parent like I have right next door as well. Hers is 10 and the kid does no wrong in her eyes. Anytime he's ever been in trouble, she blames only the other kid(s) that was with him, it's never his fault. That's really teaching him to take responsibilty for his own actions, now isn't it. I could go on and on with this subject, but the title of the thread says it all. It's getting to be a scary place because of todays kids. But I guess it's been this way since the beginning of time. There have always been bullies. The kids that do what they want and when they want and the parent doesn't seem to care. And it probably wouldn't matter if I moved, cause there's probably one in every neighborhood. Probably one out of every ten kids everywhere whose parents don't care what they do. They just had them, their job is done. The world would be a much better place if every parent would be responsible enough to raise their kid(s) the best way they can.

[This message has been edited by ZOOTB (edited 04-09-2002).]

Well thanks for sharing ZOOTB...
smile.gif

I can understand....... u being good father by protecting your son and wanting best for him, plus he is a priority in ur life.....nuttin wrong in what u want for him.........

I will never be a parent, so will never understand but I feel something of what certain parents want for and from their kids...........in the end the simple want is 'respect'.................

Maddie readin ur post earlier about how kids are affected in skool by other ppl and i think you are right....thank goodness me and my bro go to an excellent grammar school ppl... all these ppl with A's r turned down and my sister goes to a different grammar skool she only got aB1 but its next door to my skool and she has rich snobby friends...but its weird some bitches in my class made my life hell for a year and it was horrible and they had really nice parents..who they were sweet as pie too and then they turned nasty in skool so i dont think parents can have total control over what their children turn out like, id like to think my bro, sis and me r good teenagers, the naughtiest thing I've ever done is not done my homework for skool or something....anyway so some ppl with rela nice families jsut get into a really rough crowd in skool and i know some ppl from real scary families where their dad wont let them have a tv and they r really strict but are really quiet shy kids......

ok anyway i dont even know if there was a point to that nemore lol
smile.gif

If I have interpreted your statements right, you have said that the corruption of society (aka bad kids) must end. One way of doing this would be to send them to "facilities" that could provide physical beatings. Obviously, a person's childhood influences what the person will become later in life. Are you saying that physical violence/discipline would stop children bent on destroying society? I know that the real troublemakers in our school are the ones that have parents that simply don't care... You'll send the child to a camp to be beaten, yet the parents will get away with no consequences at all.

My generation has a nasty stereotype. I'd be the first one to admit the 'materialistic, mature, ignorant' label as true. On behalf of my entire school, I can say, the majority of us are not mature. However, there are a variety of reasons why. There's an entire thread dedicated to people my age scaring our elders. Are you really scared because of our behavior or are you scared because we represent something more? My generation was not simply born, and then twisted into an over-pampered society. The generation before us, the Vietnam generation, has played a part in the way everything has turned out.

Depressing-grunge music was a hit in the early 90's. Why? The bands, essentially, were out there in the public's faces showing them: Look at us. Look at what you've created. We're cruel. We're immature. We're stupid and ignorant and materialistic. What do you think caused us to become this way? The parents, It all comes back to the lack of responsibility from the generation before us. Yet for some reason, the generation before us seems to get no (or hardly any) blame whatsoever. My generation did not just turn out 'bad'. Face it people: as parents, some people failed. The reason society is 'corrupted', is because of them. Not juvenile teens.

Until people realize that the source of the problem comes from the parents, and not the children... Corruption will never end. Beat us up. Perhaps the beatings will make it seem like you're doing something to erase what others done wrong in raising their children. But I do believe, that there are still good kids in the world. I know that there are many kids in my grade who are unworthy of the nasty stereotype of Generation X. Those kids are usually the ones who have had attention in their life... So how do you stop corruption? Do your part in the world and pay attention to your kid. Not beat them.

------------------
after years of waiting nothing came
you realize you're looking in the wrong place

Originally posted by zonelistener:

Kids....

Kids....

hey, that's my line! I'm always bursting into this song.

Back
Top Bottom