Illegal Speech

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_Wanderer

ONE love, blood, life
I don't think this is right
The protests in February 2006 over the Danish cartoons satirising the Prophet Muhammad took the world by surprise.

But while many of the issues have not been resolved, one chapter has been closed with the jailing in London of four men who played key roles in a protest that shocked the British public in its vehemence and fury.

On 3 February 2006, as protests mounted around the world, some 300 people joined a march on the Danish Embassy in London.

Scores of young men and women carried provocative banners advocating Al Qaeda-inspired violent attacks against the UK and other countries. The British media had been among those who decided not to reprint the cartoons.

Of those 300 who took part, four were eventually identified from police surveillance and news reports and brought to trial.
and the critical quote
In his sentencing, Judge Brian Barker, the Common Serjeant of London, took a different view of the nature of protest.

"Freedoms of speech and assembly have long been jealously guarded by our laws - but with freedom comes respect and responsibility, neither of which was demonstrated by you or your hardcore of protesters," he said.
link

These retrogressive religious bigots scream hatred, they stand opposed to the values of an open society but criminalising their speech not only drives their ideological ilk underground but cuts away at the liberties of everybody else. It is at the extreme where liberties are fought and won and cases like this make for a less free society.

Encouraging some forms of murder is wrong but the charges of racism are laughable, would these men have as much issue with a Dane or an Englishman (or someone of Jewish decent) if he held the same beliefs as they do?

Fight these morons with pictures not prison.

Last edited:
Re: why the qualifier?

Diemen said:

Encouraging any form of murder is wrong, you mean. Unless there are some forms of murder that are a-ok. :wink:
Kill George Bush, Kill Hitler, Kill Moqtada al Sadr, Kill Castro? Is it wrong to say those things, is it criminal?

My fault for not stating illegal.

Last edited:
It is your belief in "abosultes".

Absolute right to all free speech, expression, etc.

That causes me to see you in the same light as "Religious" people.

It is an infringement on the freedom of expression.

But some infringement is justifiable in a free and democratic society. This is decided on a case by case basis and I see nothing wrong with it.

deep said:
It is your belief in "abosultes".

Absolute right to all free speech, expression, etc.

That causes me to see you in the same light as "Religious" people.
Three points that I would mark against that line of argument is that my ideas change, I find agreement boring and I like to argue for what I am against.

Back
Top Bottom