If you had the chance, would you cure all disease?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angela Harlem

Jesus Online
Ages ago, one of my sociology teachers asked me this question, and I glibly replied of course, she murmured something then smiled before leaving me pondering. Its something I've thought about on occasion since then. I've just about reached my conclusion on it, but dont think I like the answer-if I could even bring myself to decide for sure.

First off, I decided there's 2 hypotheticals to consider. An absolute eradication of all diseases that are fatal/non fatal, and simply cures or treatment for all conditions.

In the 1st instance, I figured this would cause almost immediate consequences as well as long term. Employment is one. This sounds silly, but my mum for one would be suddenly out of a job. All doctors, nurses, hospital cleaners, pathologists, radiologist, everyone, would need to find employment elsewhere. This perhaps isn't a terribly huge issue, but one nevertheless-How many people anyway are employed in that sector? Then of course there are the poeple that die every minute of every day, suddenly living til old age kicks in. Long term population explosion. It sounds callous, and thats what I dont like about this. I have lost family members and friends to cancer and heart disease, and like anyone wished desparately for a cure for them. And I would give anything to have them back. After reading the debate about genetics, and everyday realising scientists are getting closer to cures for so many afflictions, it's got me thinking if the population can really cope with the numbers ensuing. the only thing that sets us apart from other animals is our ability to reason and to love, hate etc. But with our 'superior' intelligence, comes the need to constantly improve. To rid ourselves of natures culling methods I think is a move that we will not be able to cope with in the long run. The world wide population as is is increasing at a rate that people say is going to cause problems with resources, space, economics etc. I'm no expert, but really, can we fit everyone in eventually?

More realistically, the latter would happen, as genies dont live in bottles on the beach. Even with that, the consequences would be similar. The only probable difference would be the cost of medical care going through the roof. As it is, there are people who cannot afford basic medical cover. I live in a country where most non serious bills are paid for in Medicare. But not everyone is so lucky. It would be sad to see only the wealthy be able to benefit from such an opportunity. I think the health industry overall would suffer with funding issues, political shit fights, a kind of social depression increase over the state of health care funding etc etc etc. How much does it cost anyway to grow another arm for an amputee, ot provide effective drugs for a heart condition, or rid someone of a brain tumour? im kinda going off track here as these are already issues we face, but I gues what im trying to say is its only going to add to the strain of our already crippled health state.

Even as Ive been typing this, my opinions are waivering. At the end of the day, I know I would do anything I could and spend whatever money I had to save someone's life. I still faithfully send off money each month to fund raising organisations hoping the magical cure is just around the corner. We all would do anything to make it happen and its inevitable we will make it happen one day. But at what cost?

no

I would like to end suffering from disease, and perhaps the abruptness of it, but disease is an inevitable part of life contributing to death, which must occur as the opposite reacton to life

I would find a cure for the most serious ones, and cures for ailments such as paralysis, blindness, deafness, etc.
As for the cost, the government must be required to pay for it for those who cant afford it.
As for overpopulation, perhaps only good people should be allowed to live, while evil could be allowed to die. That oughtta keep the population in check!
I heard about this situation where a cop and a gang member had been in a shootout with each other. Both were brought to the same hospital. The DR managed to save the gang members life, but the police officer died. This isnt right!

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

no, because it's part of life and my belief on life is that we are here to learn, about love and ourselves, before it is all over. anyone can be happy and love everyone when life is perfect, but then how would we ever learn anything at all? learning comes through the mistakes and the pain, and it is how you come up with what U2 addressed on All That You Can't Leave Behind.
life as we know it here is not the 'beginning and end all' of true life, but that is just my opinion and that's off-topic.

i just wish i could take away the pain it causes everyone but then there are so many things that hurt people in this world, removing disease wouldnt do much for that at all

basically life is life and I wouldnt change a thing, as desperately as I want to at times

[This message has been edited by BabyGrace (edited 11-28-2001).]

A cure for AIDS is becoming more and more elusive everyday. Anything that tricks out the body like that or cancer will probably never be cured. I disagree with curing all disease, simply because if you don't die from disease, people will be living until 110 yrs old more and more. In America, they'll be living off of my social security, that means my generation will have to work longer to support them. The already crappy healthcare system will go down the drain as people come in with more and more serious afflictions. death is ok. it is the second most natural attribute to life.

------------------
Go lightly down your darkened way.

People who are suffering from disease and those that are working to treat them surely wish there was a cure to the disease. Think of the terror and pain we have reduced by erradicating smallpox and polio. Once such threats are gone, everyone is much freer to live a more productive life, and there is the possibility that more jobs are created because people are healthier.

Yes, suffering teaches us things, but disease isn't the only way we suffer. It would be nice to get rid of this one. People can die of natural causes (and wouldn't that be preferable, anyway?) A healthy elderly person could offer much to society, without disease they could enjoy their golden years and we could gain from their experiences.

[This message has been edited by DebbieSG (edited 11-28-2001).]

It pains me to see my sickly grandmother who has been on a steady decline since she had a stroke 25 years ago. It's painful watching this once strong and stubborn (who was always smiling and so gracious) become a shell of what she once was. She barely knows where she is. She can barely eat, let alone do simple day to day tasts. I'll spare the details. I honestly doubt if she will live another 6 months.

On one hand, I feel as though I didn't spend enough time with her. I want to make her better, I want more time. On the other hand, I know she has led a full and wonderful life and I know she'll be ready when the time comes for her to leave this earth. I know I will see her again, along with all the other people who've passed before her. Death, without sounding callous or insensitive, is enivitable. In my grandmother's case, death would be merciful.

Now, if my little son were to come down with a life threatening illness, I would sever my own arms and legs save his life. My son, who hasn't yet begun to live a full life as someone who is near 90 years old, deserves a fair shake. I would want every doctor from every far corner of this earth to save his life and use almost every means necessary to do so. I think every parent would want the same for their child if their child was dying. No child, imo, should *have* to die. Children with cancer - if you've ever witnessed it in person, is one of the most heartbreaking things anyone with a shred of sympathy will ever see.

Medical advances that have saved people - from simple antibiotics to combat colds and flue which could in turn develop into pneumonia... as well as vaccines like Debbie mentioned above, are modern marvels. Safe to say, without these medicinal marvels most of us probably wouldn't have made it past infancy or childhood. Population control cynics aside, nobody wants to see people suffering or in pain from a life threatening illness that can be prevented with medicine and/or treatment. Especially if it were them who were dying, or someone they loved...

You people are sickening. Lilly would rather millions of people die horrible deaths than incovenience her carefree lifestyle. Rono thinks people who get AIDS or who contract lung cancer should die horrible deaths because they had it coming. My God. Mercy and empathy aren't exactly overflowing on this forum.

And these are U2 fans talking. The more people I meet the less I like people. I need to get out less.
MAP

Originally posted by Miss MacPhisto:

As for overpopulation, perhaps only good people should be allowed to live, while evil could be allowed to die. That oughtta keep the population in check!

No, i will not cure every disease. Why should i cure aids ? Or diseases caused by smoking and drinking ?

Ans Miss Mcphisto, who will decide who is good and who is evil ?

Originally posted by Rono:
No, i will not cure every disease. Why should i cure aids ? Or diseases caused by smoking and drinking ?

Ans Miss Mcphisto, who will decide who is good and who is evil ?

I know I'll open up a can of worms by asking this, but why not a cure for AIDS? How about children that have contracted AIDS in utero? How about people who've contracted the disease through blood transfusions, or those who got the disease because they were raped? Or howabout people in relationships, where one mate strays and gives his/her partner AIDS? As we all know, AIDS does not discriminate. Do these "innocents" I mentioned above not deserve a fair shake at life like the rest of us who are AIDS free?

[This message has been edited by adam's_mistress (edited 11-28-2001).]

Originally posted by adam's_mistress:

I know I'll open up a can of worms by asking this, but why not a cure for AIDS?

It's a gay disease, remember?
rolleyes.gif

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

You know what I would like to cure? The common bloody cold! I'm so receptive to it and when I catch one, it goes on for weeks, it really makes my life miserable. Right now I've been taking a new diet supplement for 7 months, though, and it seems to be working.

Rono, were you joking, mate?

Originally posted by adam's_mistress:

I know I'll open up a can of worms by asking this, but why not a cure for AIDS? How about children that have contracted AIDS in utero? How about people who've contracted the disease through blood transfusions, or those who got the disease because they were raped? As we all know, AIDS does not discriminate. Do these "innocents" I mentioned above not deserve a fair shake at life like the rest of us who are AIDS free?

Oke, i will cure aids.

Okay, I've thought about this for a while now. It is true that eliminating all disease would cause a major overpopulation problem - but we are getting there anyway. I think that scientist and doctors should continue to try to find cures for all illnesses - even the "self-inflicted" ones (who's next in line, Rono? Fat people? People who didn't get an education so they could get a nice office job and have to work in unhealthy environments instead?).

But it is also our job as humans and inhabitants of this planet to find ways of either curbing over-population in other ways (the snip for Bono might be a start <g> ) or finding ways to move some of us off this planet and into space.

Progress can't be halted, but we have to be responsible and adapt.

I agree with DebbieSG that people suffer and learn in other ways than through disease, so I don't believe it's "necessary" in that way.

On the other hand... there is something to be said against fiddling too much with the laws of nature, survival of the fittest etc.

Proceed with caution!

Disease has no chance whatsoever of being irradicated. A basic background in genetics and micriobiology would tell you as much.

Therefore, there must be a reason for disease to exist. This is where the theory of evolution and reproductive fitness come in. So, it would probably not be beneficial to cure all diseases, and I'd have to say "no."

Hmm, lack of education is a disease. Never thought of it that way.

And i have a overweight and a unhealty job ( some people got to do the dirty jobs to support the officeslaves )

But what if you did find a cure to all the diseases out there today? who's to say some disease commonly shows up in people that are 120 years old. Cancer patients tend to be older.

But this is the way life is. Do I think its fair? NO way! I'm a cancer survivor, its not fair. But who cares if you die in a car accident or from a disease? the most important thing is not how you die but how you live your life.

If I could cure a disease, I would cure AIDS, the most horrific and unfair disease around. Yes, I do think that classifying a disease as 'unfair' is ridiculous, and could be used to classify all diseases as such, but its unfair that people should get a disease only because they chose to love each other in a physical way. Rono's expression of 'diseases people get when they fuck around' is inaccurate and lacks conviction; you don't need to 'fuck around' to get AIDS, all you need to do is have sex with the wrong person and you're marked. Now, that IS unfair. Its not as bad as smoking your lungs out and then getting lung cancer, its unfair that people should be punished for something so human; expressing love in a physical way.

Ant.

You'd absolutely have to limit reproduction to twice per lifetime for a couple.

Originally posted by speedracer:
You'd absolutely have to limit reproduction to twice per lifetime for a couple.
Okay, I know I'll be getting myself into trouble again for this, but I actually think we should have that limit right now.

Originally posted by Anthony:
What's wrong with the way China does it?

Ant.

Well, the 1 child per household rule was rumored to have caused problems because boys are favored over girls.

Originally posted by speedracer:
Well, the 1 child per household rule was rumored to have caused problems because boys are favored over girls.

Rumours, and mere rumours. That would be more inherent in India or Pakistan, where it has been known that they bury baby girls alive. However, in China its pretty strict; you have a child and you're stuck with it. I admire China for its strong efforts, and, despite people cricising it, I think that they are justified in using their methods.

Also, I have always been one to support China in most of its policies. For instance, I hate it when Amnesty International pokes its nose into China's business and criticises it for executing too many people. China knows how to solve its own problems, and, as long as it doesn't harm anyone, its fine by me (even though I do NOT support the death penalty).

I only wish the rest of the world could follow its one child policy.

Ant.

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
I would like to end suffering from disease, and perhaps the abruptness of it, but disease is an inevitable part of life contributing to death, which must occur as the opposite reacton to life
I agree

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Back
Top Bottom