I Ordered Burger King's New "BK Veggie" Burger Today...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Bama

Rock n' Roll Doggie
...and the whole place went silent. It was at a Burger King in the small, rural town of Talladega, Alabama (better known for "The SuperSpeedway" - Nascar). They informed me that it would "be awhile" as they apparently don't sell many of them. Plus, I ordered it with cheese. The customers stopped munching on their Whoppers and new Chicken Whoppers to see who this outsider was ordering a new age burger. I felt like I had made a cultural mistake.

I am not a vegetarian, but I sometimes enjoy vegetarian meat-substitutes such as falafel and portobella mushroom. I merely wanted to try the BK Veggie. It was okay. The consistency was like that of ground beef, but lighter. They loaded it with mayonnaise like on a Whopper, though I would have preferred the mustard and ketchup that is famous on their regular burgers. The taste, however, was more like a portabello mushroom sandwich I once had at an art museum cafe. This was understandable since it consists of a mushroom-based vegetable mixture.

At the end of my meal, which also consisted of Coke and a medium order of fries, I was feeling empty. The BK Veggie didn't have the impact of a Whopper or even my usual cheeseburger. Out of desperation, after re-filling my Coke, I went to the counter and ordered a Hershey's Sundae Pie and ran out of the restaurant eating it. If I had simply ordered a cheeseburger to begin with, the pie would have been unnecessary.

~U2Alabama

I ordered a vegie burger from a health place that delivered in NYC. It looked great. Nice, evenly distributed brown color. It looked juicy and was rather plump.

I took a big bite out of it and noticed that the inside of the burger wa a bright green. Apparently, the restaurant pulverizes broccoli, mushrooms, spinach and god know what else into patty. Then they deep fry it. The outside was fried a cripy brown while the inside was mushy and green.

It was awful. So much for trying to eat healthy. I almost vomited.

CK

PS I didn't finish it.

And also:

A few minutes later, I was at a shopping center down the road, and I heard a cow mooing in an adjacent pasture. This was significant for two reasons: the cow may have been saying "thanks for not eating my relatives," but more importantly - the customers had reacted oddly at my alternative choice when I FORGOT that Talladega is a large beef cattle producing community. Silly me.

~U2Alabama

I "know" that you were referring to TheCK. But your mention (and TheCK's mention) of the fried variety led me to clarify the cooking process of BK Veggie for the fast food illiterate who may read this thread.

I am off to bed. I hopethe BK Veggiet doesn't give my weird dreams about trolls and rainbows. It has already influenced other side effects today.

~U2Alabama

I eat a veggie burger for breakfast every morning. The ones I get at the supermarket are very good for you. 18 grams of protein and only 1 gram of saturated fat. With a small amount Olive Oil they taste great!

I've had several of them, theyre pretty good, but definitely not the best veggie burgers ive ever had.
They taste like stove top stuffing. I like 'em, but they could be improved.

Originally posted by U2Bama:
the cow may have been saying "thanks for not eating my relatives,"
If you ate more meat, you probably wouldn't have delusions like that. The mushrooms made you hallucinate. Besides, eating too many veggies makes you violent, just look at the guy who killed Pim Fortuyn.

lol...very funny, Bama. I have been a vegetarian since 1988 and have explored the gamut of veggie burgers. There are some bads one out there, lemme tell ya. That would be the majority of them. But once in awhile, I get a delicious one. I like ones made from spicy black beans, vegetables and grains, for example, rather than ones made from something trying to imitate meat. I stay away from those.

Veggie burgers are just an excuse for me to have ketchup on a bun anyway.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
Cantcha just eat ketchup on a bun plain?
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

I knew somebody was going to say that--I just didn't know it would happen so fast! I require a li'l something else with my ketchuppy buns--call me crazy!

Originally posted by joyfulgirl:

I knew somebody was going to say that--I just didn't know it would happen so fast! I require a li'l something else with my ketchuppy buns--call me crazy!

Crazy!

hehe. j/k. you know I luvs ya!
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
yeah, I was referring to what TheU2 said, personally, I prefer grilling my burgers... medium well (w/ cheese and toasted bun)

Hahah..Yes, The World Famous Toasted Bun. From the Weber of course..

L.Unplugged

One thing to remember about soy burgers:

The ones that have the biggest promotion often suck. Seriously.
redface.gif
I hate Boca burgers, and everyone I know who says,"I've tried to eat those soy burgers.. but they taste so bad!" ate Boca burgers. And I LOVE soy burgers, I've been raised as a vegetarian all my life and I hate them. Morningstar Farms is the best, IMO.

------------------
"I dance much better horizontally than vertically." - Bono

Popheart.org

Originally posted by elevatedmole:
One thing to remember about soy burgers:

The ones that have the biggest promotion often suck. Seriously.
redface.gif
I hate Boca burgers, and everyone I know who says,"I've tried to eat those soy burgers.. but they taste so bad!" ate Boca burgers. And I LOVE soy burgers, I've been raised as a vegetarian all my life and I hate them. Morningstar Farms is the best, IMO.

I'm not vegetarian anymore, but I LOVE Morningstar Farms products. I wish they weren't so expensive, though.

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
Bama, do you mean using the "bar-bee-qu" flavoring, I mean like charcoal or propane grilling

The Wanderer:

I do not use "liquid smoke," nor do I put barbecue sauce on steaks, burgers, etc. I may put it on certain type of pork (Boston butt, ribs) and occasionally if I "grill" chicken. I was referring to the same type of barbecuing as you: over a charcoal or propane grill. TheCK doesn't do or know how to do either because he lives in New York City.

~U2Alabama

Originally posted by U2Bama:
The Wanderer:

I do not use "liquid smoke," nor do I put barbecue sauce on steaks, burgers, etc. I may put it on certain type of pork (Boston butt, ribs) and occasionally if I "grill" chicken. I was referring to the same type of barbecuing as you: over a charcoal or propane grill. TheCK doesn't do or know how to do either because he lives in New York City.

~U2Alabama

I thought "barbecue" technically meant "roasting for a really long time over a wood fire and allowing the meat to pick up the wood smoke flavor"?

Maybe that's how you Ivy League types define it in The Harvard Dictionary, but down here it is as simple as throwing a piece of meat on the grill, any grill. Perhaps I should just say "grilling out" when referring to burgers, steaks, etc?

Though I might add, all of the "barbecue restaurants" down here serve pork that has been "roasted for a really long time over a wood fire and allowing the meat to pick up the wood smoke flavor."

~U2Alabama

[This message has been edited by U2Bama (edited 05-17-2002).]

Bama-
Did you pay for your refill on your soda or was it on the house, before you scampered off?
Curious.
wink.gif

diamond

------------------
AIM= diamondbruno9

I always "assume" that self-service drink stations (such as those at Burger King and Taco Bell) are "on the house" unless a sign says otherwise.

~U2Alabama

Back
Top Bottom