I just saw..................

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
Nancy Pelosi being sworn in as Speaker of the House, and Keith Ellison taking his oath on Thomas Jefferson's copy of the Koran. And now I've read Dread's thread on the African American sworn in as Governor of Massachusetts.........today is a great day in our history.

Re: Re: I just saw..................

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Not according to some.:|

Some claim it's an attack to American values, but they can :censored: off...

I couldn't agree with you more. Some of these people who attacked Keith Ellison's choice of holy book to use for his oath make me embarrassed to be an American.:mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

It sure is a great day, bravo to all

I was so proud to finally see a woman as Speaker. I hope I live to see a female President SOON, but I have my doubts...

It was the best thing i did see on tv here in the states,.... :up: But keith looked very nervous.

Muslim congressman seeks out critic on House floor

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- On his first day in Congress, Rep. Keith Ellison, D-Minnesota, the first Muslim elected to Congress, finally met the Republican who criticized him for his decision to use the Koran at his ceremonial swearing in.

Ellison asked another Democratic member to introduce him to Rep Virgil Goode, R-Virgina, who spoke out against Ellison in a letter to constituents last month. Ellison told CNN that he approached Goode on the House floor and the brief meeting went well.

"I shook his hand and shook mine. We greeted each other." Ellison asked Goode to grab a cup of coffee with him soon and Goode accepted.

Asked if he was felt singled out as the first Muslim member, Ellison said no and added, "By reaching out to Congressman Goode I'm not trying to be accepted, I'm trying to build bridges. In this world there are too many misunderstandings. I want to put a human face on things."

Ellison was sworn in with other House members on the House floor. Later, at a ceremonial, photo-opportunity swearing in with Speaker Nancy Pelosi, he chose to use a Quran once owned by Thomas Jefferson instead of a Bible.

Last month, Goode wrote a letter to his constituents, stating, "The Muslim representative from Minnesota was elected by the voters of that district and if American citizens don't wake up and adopt the Virgil Goode position on immigration there will likely be many more Muslims elected to office and demanding the use of the Koran."

Ellison shrugged off the intense media attention at his ceremonial event, saying, "I figure it's all part of it and I take it all in stride."

Last month, Goode wrote a letter to his constituents, stating, "The Muslim representative from Minnesota was elected by the voters of that district and if American citizens don't wake up and adopt the Virgil Goode position on immigration there will likely be many more Muslims elected to office and demanding the use of the Koran."

What an ass!!!

MrsSpringsteen said:
It sure is a great day, bravo to all

I was so proud to finally see a woman as Speaker. I hope I live to see a female President SOON, but I have my doubts...

Next November Mrs. S, next November. :)

I think it will always be too soon for some people, especially for a "certain type of woman" candidate. Yes you can certainly have disgreement with Hillary about the issues, but the criticism of her goes far beyond that. Too far to make it possible for her to win. The scare tactics will be outrageous, as will the smears used against her.

I don't care who gets elected as long as it's the person that is best qualified for the job. If that means we don't have a woman or another white male president for another 50 years, then so be it.

I admire all your optimism regarding the Democrats taking "control" but please don't forget that Bush/Cheney have 2 years to go and they will not go out with a whimper. Another 20,000 troops(minimum) will be sent to Iraq in the next few weeks...and then there's Iran. Will Isreal attack with US approval or will the US join in the attack??? Either way it will lead to something far more serious than Iraq. I believe this has been the plan all along.

Harry Vest said:
I admire all your optimism regarding the Democrats taking "control" but please don't forget that Bush/Cheney have 2 years to go and they will not go out with a whimper. Another 20,000 troops(minimum) will be sent to Iraq in the next few weeks...and then there's Iran. Will Isreal attack with US approval or will the US join in the attack??? Either way it will lead to something far more serious than Iraq. I believe this has been the plan all along.

hey hey hey now! this is a glass-is-half-full thread! :wink:

verte76 said:
I think she'll be crucified, too. It's too soon for a woman President.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I truly cannot comprehend this. This isn't the 16th century, is it? A couple of years ago, every position of power in New Zealand politics was held by a woman and we're on our second female Prime Minister in a row. And hell, even Sri Lanka has had a female President, so how can it be "too soon" for a female President in the US? What needs to happen before it stops being "too soon"?

Are there actually people out there who would attack a candidate purely because she's a woman and not vote for her because of that? I can't even begin to imagine such a mindset. I don't even think for a second about the sex of the person I vote for. Would anyone who voted for John Kerry in the last US election have not voted for him if he had ovaries instead? I find that too ludicrous and backwards to even believe.

Axver said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I truly cannot comprehend this. This isn't the 16th century, is it? A couple of years ago, every position of power in New Zealand politics was held by a woman and we're on our second female Prime Minister in a row. And hell, even Sri Lanka has had a female President, so how can it be "too soon" for a female President in the US? What needs to happen before it stops being "too soon"?

Are there actually people out there who would attack a candidate purely because she's a woman and not vote for her because of that? I can't even begin to imagine such a mindset. I don't even think for a second about the sex of the person I vote for. Would anyone who voted for John Kerry in the last US election have not voted for him if he had ovaries instead? I find that too ludicrous and backwards to even believe.

Sadly Axver, there is still a struggle going on in the United States. Women in some fields of work are not being paid the equivalent of their male counterparts. That is just one example off of the top of my head. There is still a very strong gender role that many hold true to. I'd say a lot of people in this society have certain expectations for women and certain ones for men.

How many female four star generals do you know of? Especially for someone that has to play the role of commander-in-chief, I'm not really sure how accepted a woman would be in that role. Women, to my knowledge, are still not permitted to fight on front lines in combat. Although fighting in front lines is vastly different from sitting behind a desk and calling the shots, I'm just using this as an example of how women aren't quite yet seen as equals to men in some situations.

Another irony...the largest Muslim country in the world (Indonesia) has had a woman president. Heck, if I recall correctly, even Pakistan has. And yet we "enlightened" Americans can't seem to wrap our minds around the idea. :|

Back
Top Bottom