"I Hate Gay People"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MrPryck2U said:
Everyone's squabbling like schoolchildren

Really? Who? Unless I'm misreading it it has been a rational discussion recently(granted I only started reading it today), and not like "schoolchildren" at all. I assume you are referring to the current discussion.

Mrs S, I won't name names but, there are a few folks who have been going back and forth about showers.
Were they squabbling like schoolchildren? Probably not, but nobody was backing down or seeing the other person's point of view. Which schoolchildren as well as adults have a tendancy to do.
I think it was funnier when Bono said it back in 1993.

MrPryck2U said:
Mrs S, I won't name names but, there are a few folks who have been going back and forth about showers.
Were they squabbling like schoolchildren? Probably not, but nobody was backing down or seeing the other person's point of view. Which schoolchildren as well as adults have a tendancy to do.

Well I have, and I'm not just going back and forth about showers. I'm trying to get him to explain his analogy which I believe is false, as I stated. That's not being like a schoolchild, and I won't back down from something that makes no logical sense to me. I'm not obligated to see his point of view by agreeing (I am obligated to listen to it by reading and seeing it as best as I can from my personal view), I am merely trying to understand by asking him to explain. I am not in FYM for any sort of swordfights or to get anything over on anyone. Maybe some people here are, but I'm not.

This topic is about so much more than showers.

And I should have added that since the shower issue was brought up by Hardaway himself as some sort of apparent justification for his fear of having a gay teammate, and as part of his overall hate filled comments, it is certainly worth going back and forth over in my opinion. If we don't dissect those stereotypes, how are we ever going to get anywhere?

MrPryck2U said:
I think it was funnier when Bono said it back in 1993.

Why do you assume everyone who argues against or for are school children?

Seems to me what it boils down to is this...in sports (or dorms, whatever) guys are going to be in locker rooms naked/showering together. If someone (ie Tim Hardaway) has a problem with it then it's his responsibility to make "other" arrangements, not a league, or school, or whoever's. In other words, if YOU'RE scared that a gay man is going to be ogling your business, solely due to his "gayness", then shower elsewhere, or sack up & deal with it. Don't expect everybody else to bend over backwards to satisfy your insecurity. It's really that simple.

Irvine makes a good point, something I hadn't really considered before - that gay men have grown up showering with other men; they're not getting aroused every time they see a naked man. I'm sure if straight men grew up surrounded by naked women, the mere sight of a naked woman wouldn't= sex.

AEON said:
Why do we feel it necessary to separate male and female showers?

tradition. it's how we are socialized, we separate on the issue of anatomical difference. this is neither good nor bad, it just is. if it were purely sexual, as you seem to think, then we'd have co-ed bathrooms until jr. high school.

I don't really feel it is necessary, but it's what we've always done, culturally. I don't have a problem showering in a co-ed shower; if my university had had co-ed bathrooms I'd have been OK with it. Some people aren't, though...so they go to schools that don't have co-ed bathrooms, or dorms...or even to male- or female-only colleges.

Irvine511 said:

tradition. it's how we are socialized, we separate on the issue of anatomical difference. this is neither good nor bad, it just is. if it were purely sexual, as you seem to think, then we'd have co-ed bathrooms until jr. high school.

I can accept that. However, I somehow think that sex plays a part.

CTU2fan said:
I don't really feel it is necessary, but it's what we've always done, culturally. I don't have a problem showering in a co-ed shower; if my university had had co-ed bathrooms I'd have been OK with it. Some people aren't, though...so they go to schools that don't have co-ed bathrooms, or dorms...or even to male- or female-only colleges.

going to same-sex colleges isn't because people are not okay being around the opposite sex. it is because studies have shown that males and females do significantly better academically when in same-sex classrooms. sexual orientation doesn't play a role in that. at least, not from what i read. that just has to do with exceling in the classroom.

Back
Top Bottom