I guess spitzer resigns?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some of Spitzer's Key AG Investigations

Some of the highest-profile settlements arising from corporate investigations initiated by Gov. Eliot Spitzer when he was Attorney General:

_ December 2006: Entercom Communications Corp., one of the nation's largest broadcasters, agreed to a multimillion-dollar payment to end Spitzer's investigation of gifts by record companies in exchange for air play.

_ December 2006: MetLife Inc., the largest group life insurer in the nation, agreed to pay a multimillion-dollar settlement and change some of its business practices to end an investigation of payments made to brokers to steer clients its way. Spitzer's probe of the industry began in 2004 and more than 20 insurance companies agreed to pay more than $3 billion.

_ October 2006: Former New York Stock Exchange chief Richard Grasso was ordered to repay part of his 2003 compensation package, which Spitzer claimed was unreasonable under laws governing nonprofit organizations.

_ December 2003: In two separate agreements, Alliance Capital Management agreed to pay a multimillion-dollar penalty to settle allegations of improper fund trading, the most costly settlement to date.

_ December 2002: In one of the largest settlements ever levied by securities regulators, 10 Wall Street firms agreed to a multimillion-dollar penalty to resolve charges they gave biased stock ratings. The probe, which began in June 2001, turned up e-mail showing star Merrill Lynch & Co. analyst Henry Blodget describing InfoSpace Inc., one of the firm's highest-rated stocks, as "a piece of junk."

I'm not "holding forth on the state" of anyone's marriage, but thanks for the scolding.Wondering why the woman is standing by him is doing the same as I see it, is that anyone's business either? Diamond was doing that first actually, and I responded to it. I defer to him anyway cause he's the expert in female behavior. I don't care about his marriage but I do care how his wife and kids are affected by all of this, like I said maybe he's just messed up. Maybe he's just an arrogant selfish self righteous man. I do think it's normal to wonder why a married man would go to a prostitute, or any man for that matter. Most of all any man in his position.

Last edited:
front031108.jpg

gal_fp_03_11_2008.jpg

Jeez could they find worse pics of the guy?

I think it's clear that Spitzer has some issues, putting his family in jeopardy and torpedoeing his political career over a paid-for piece? Stupid reall.

How much money will "Kristen" be offered by Larry Flynt to pose nude?

Thank goodness this news breaks now, the Pennsylvania primary is such a long way off.

verte76 said:

You want Pataki back?

in a heart beat

MrsSpringsteen said:

:giggle:

U2ME3 said:
You know why Eliot was cheating on his wife don't you? Because she was a Spitzer, not a swallowzer.

dude, honestly... well done :hi5:

perhaps when spitzer resigns we'll finally be able to bid for tickets on e-bay or somethin.

also appears as if hill hill just lost herself a superdelegate

hill hill's too busy brokering peace in northern ireland to comment.

4U2Play said:
Spitzer is a Hillary superdelegate?

Ho No. Can't wait for her reaction.

If Spitzer resigns, he would not be replaced as a superdelegate, meaning Clinton would lose one, according to the Democratic National Committee. Lt. Gov. David Paterson would become governor, and he already is a superdelegate supporting Clinton.

Clinton declined to say whether she believed Spitzer could survive the scandal, which drew immediate calls for him to resign.

"Let's wait and see what comes out of the next few days," she said. "Right now I don't have any comment. I think it's appropriate to wish his family well and see how things develop."

ho noes, i hope bono's okay :sad:

:heart::hug::bono::hug::heart: we are ONE

Irvine511 said:

:sad: bono would never cheat on Ali :sad:

they love each other. i read U2 by U2 so i am an authority on their marriage.

Careful, yer gonna get mod-hammered.

Somewhere Imus has to be wondering when "ho" got added to the OK word list, cuz it sure wasn't there when he said it.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Wondering why the woman is standing by him is doing the same as I see it, is that anyone's business either?

My comment was referring to how many of these press conferences we've seen with the wife standing there supporting the husband and wasn't even necessarily about sex scandals. I was also thinking of people like Kenneth Lay, men who abuse their power and the dutiful wife stands there beside him at the press conference. We just never see the reverse, do we? There's something about it that is just sad. That said, I do agree that what goes on in a marriage is no one's business and is very personal and complex.

most marrige vows are made for better or worse.

however the clause that supercedes everything is to love honor and cherish your spouse.

so cheating is a deal breaker; questionable business practices can be seen as poor judgement-that's why some stay by their spouses.

dbs

Gov. Eliot Spitzer ended up as the subject of an investigation into a prostitution ring because his bank branch in Manhattan turned him in to the Internal Revenue Service as someone who might be engaged in suspicious currency transactions, according to sources familiar with the investigation.

After the governor transferred $10,000 by breaking it into smaller amounts, he then called the bank asking that his name be removed from the transactions, the sources said.

Agents of the IRS Criminal Investigation Division initially started a probe fearing that the governor was the victim of some sort of blackmail scheme or because he was being victimized by an impostor, the sources said.
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/state/ny-stspitzerbank0312,0,4637246.story

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

Powerful people tend to think they're above the law. They can do all the psychological studies they'd like but at the end of the day it's as simple as that. :shrug:

I'd say out of control ego. I would guess such politicians would see other politicians get caught up in scandal and think to themselves "Oh I'm smarter than that, I won't get caught." :shrug:

deep said:

I am sure that is how the paper trail reads.

But, I am also confident that this Administration is abusing their ability to take free looks and listens where ever they want.

When they find something they want to exploit after sneaking in the back door.

All they do is get the right paper work and proper channels and go back in the front door.

However, there is a set of questions that needs to be examined with respect to the Spitzer case. They go to prosecutorial motivation and direction. Note that this prosecution was managed with staffers from the Public Integrity Section at the Department of Justice. This section is now at the center of a major scandal concerning politically directed prosecutions. During the Bush Administration, his Justice Department has opened 5.6 cases against Democrats for every one involving a Republican. Beyond this, a number of the cases seem to have been tied closely to election cycles. Indeed, a study of the cases out of Alabama shows clearly that even cases opened against Republicans are in fact only part of a broader pattern of going after Democrats. So here are the rather amazing facts that surface in the Spitzer case:

(1) The prosecutors handling the case came from the Public Integrity Section.

(2) The prosecution is opened under the White-Slave Traffic Act of 1910. You read that correctly. The statute itself is highly disreputable, and most of the high-profile cases brought under it were politically motivated and grossly abusive. Here are a few:

Heavyweight boxing champion Jack Johnson was the first man prosecuted under the act — for having an affair with Lucille Cameron, whom he later married. The prosecution was manifestly an effort “to get” Johnson, who at the time was the most famous African-American. (All of this is developed well in Ken Burns’s film “Unforgiveable Blackness”).

University of Chicago sociologist William I. Thomas was prosecuted for having an affair with an officer’s wife in France. Thomas was targeted because of his Bohemian social and his radical political views.

In 1944 Charles Chaplin was prosecuted for having an affair with actress Joan Barry. The prosecution again provided cover for a politically motivated effort to drive Chaplin out of the country.

Canadian author Elizabeth Smart was arrested and charged in 1940 while crossing the border with the British poet George Barker.

(3) The resources dedicated to the case in terms of prosecutors and investigators are extraordinary.

(4) How the investigation got started. The Justice Department has yet to give a full account of why they were looking into Spitzer’s payments, and indeed the suggestion in the ABC account is that it didn’t have anything to do with a prostitution ring. The suggestion that this was driven by an IRS inquiry and involved a bank might heighten, rather than allay, concerns of a politically motivated prosecution.

All of these facts are consistent with a process which is not the investigation of a crime, but rather an attempt to target and build a case against an individual.

The answer of the Justice Department to all this is likely to be: Trust us. But in the current environment, the reservoir of trust is tapped. The Justice Department needs to submit to some questions about how this probe got launched, who launched it, and to what extent political appointees were involved in its direction. This has nothing to do with Spitzer’s guilt or innocence. But it has everything to do with the fading integrity of the Public Integrity Section.

U2democrat said:
Poor Mrs. Spitzer. I can't imagine how humiliating this is for her.

agreed.

elliot will have his own hell to deal with now for the rest of his life here, but hopefully not in the hereafter.

dbs

breaking marital vows aside -- which might be awful, but it isn't in and of itself a crime -- why is it, that if i offer someone $20 to shovel my driveway, i've merely paid for services. but if i offer $200 to have sex with me, it's a crime.

i mean this as a serious question.

Back
Top Bottom