I guess spitzer resigns?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
financeguy said:

He was a sanctimonious hypocrite with a overly aggressive, overly pedantic way of prosecuting the law and frankly, an anti-free enterprise bent, as far as I can determine.

i agree with the first part, not the second. his going after Wall Street in 2002 after the telecom debacle was, if anything, too much of a compromise.

diamond said:

some men derive power by how much sex they have; sadly this is wrong thinking.

That is probably the best statement you've ever made here. The rest, um I dunno. If his wife wasn't into having sex with him, well then he could have spent his time figuring out why- including professionals if necessary. Maybe he's just messed up and his wife has zero to do with that.

diamond said:

Here's Obama:

07_viciousobama_lg.jpg

Here's Osama:

osama.jpg

Please try and learn the difference before you vote.

thank you,

dbs

diamond, I know the difference between Obama and Osama.

U2387 said:

I understand, Vitter should not have disappeared from the news that quick/got off easy, because unlike Spitzer whose focus was on public corruption, Vitter would always get off on gays and condoms and sex as signs of societal and moral decay, whatever that means. Vitter and Republicans are more hypocritical than Spitzer because they are the ones who insist on patrolling everyone else's marriages and choices of sex partners and contraceptive use. However, the way I understand it, this is not FISA or uncontrolled wiretaps, those were the ones being conducted without warrants and they only apply to US persons calling overseas. This is a domestic Article III of Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of 1968 wiretap and as such, was obtained via a search warrant. The Bush administration has claimed no authority to use warrantless domestic wiretaps as of yet.

What the hell are you talking about? The Bush Administration has been using wiretaps like crazy. They're idiots.:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

MrsSpringsteen said:
Unbelievable, that a man who has become governor of NY would throw it all away for sex. The arrogance, the stupidity. Not to mention his wife and three daughters and how it affects them. Looks like he should have been investigating himself.

I agree, it's stupid as hell.:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

0105071.jpg

New York could get first African-American governor

Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:12pm EDT

NEW YORK (Reuters) - David A. Paterson would become the first African-American governor of New York if the current governor, Eliot Spitzer, resigns in the wake of allegations of ties to prostitution.

Paterson, who is legally blind, was elected lieutenant governor in November 2006 together with Spitzer. The New York Times said the governor, a Democrat and former state attorney general, was caught on a federal wiretap last month as he arranged to meet a prostitute.

The leader of the minority Republicans in the state Assembly, James Tedisco, called for Spitzer's resignation. Spitzer's term ends in 2010.

A lawyer by training, Paterson became a public servant in 1985, when he began representing Harlem in the New York State Senate, according to the New York governor's Web site.

In 2002, he became its minority leader, the first non-white legislative leader in New York's history. In 2004, he became the first legally blind person to address the Democratic National Convention.

Paterson was born in Brooklyn to Portia and Basil Paterson. His father was the first non-white secretary of state of New York and the first African-American vice-chair of the national Democratic Party.

The lieutenant governor earned his bachelor's degree in history from Columbia University, graduating in 1977, and completed his J.D. at Hofstra Law School in 1982. He is an adjunct professor at Columbia's School for International and Public Affairs.

Paterson lives in Harlem with his wife, Michelle Paige Paterson, and their two children. Paterson, who ran the New York City marathon in 1999, also is a member of the board of the Achilles Track Club.

Paterson has proposed legislation for a $1 billion voter-approved stem cell research initiative and advocated a statewide alternative energy plan. He also has been involved in legislation on domestic violence prevention and promoting minority- and women-owned businesses.

two things that strike me right now, aside from the obvious:

1. are we pleased that this came about as a result of federal wiretaps?
2. why is prostitution illegal? and should it be so?

You know why Eliot was cheating on his wife don't you? Because she was a Spitzer, not a swallowzer.

MrsSpringsteen said:
That is probably the best statement you've ever made here. The rest, um I dunno. If his wife wasn't into having sex with him, well then he could have spent his time figuring out why- including professionals if necessary. Maybe he's just messed up and his wife has zero to do with that.

These speculations seem to me to almost entirely miss the point. It really isn't any of the public's business what Mr Spitzer's relationship was with his wife. That kind of analysis is just fuel to the fire of media's prurient interest in the private lives of public figures we have seen in recent years.

The issue is ultimately about whether or not Mr Spitzer can now provide assurance to the public that he has the integrity to do the job and it seems to me that he can't. But it's purely a matter of professional ethics and integrity. Holding forth on the state of their marriage is really quite unnecessary.

Given that this is a man who had presidential aspirations, his actions are all that much stupider.

financeguy said:

These speculations seem to me to almost entirely miss the point. It really isn't any of the public's business what Mr Spitzer's relationship was with his wife. That kind of analysis is just fuel to the fire of media's prurient interest in the private lives of public figures we have seen in recent years.

The issue is ultimately about whether or not Mr Spitzer can now provide assurance to the public that he has the integrity to do the job and it seems to me that he can't. But it's purely a matter of professional ethics and integrity. Holding forth on the state of their marriage is really quite unnecessary.

I agree completely with this, and in cases of marital infidelity involving politicians made public, I always feel most sorry for the children - there seems to be no way to shield them from the ugliness of what would be a private matter between spouses if it involved someone in the private sector.

Vincent Vega said:

Can you also be illegally blind? :confused:
it just means that is a lawful U S citizen

he did not sneak into the country

/\ just kidding

there is a standard of vision that must be met

a person can have some sight
and still be "legally" blind

Ok, thanks. I should've known that even blindness can't be that simple, but it also makes sense; if I just think of how awful I see without glasses or lenses.

financeguy said:
It really isn't any of the public's business what Mr Spitzer's relationship was with his wife. .... Holding forth on the state of their marriage is really quite unnecessary.

I agree completely. I think no one can ever really understand the dynamics of a marriage they're not actually in.

anitram said:
Given that this is a man who had presidential aspirations, his actions are all that much stupider.

I agree. Considering how few Democrats there are with an actual backbone, it is a real shame that he had to throw away everything for this crap.

I hope the high-priced whores were worth it. :shrug:

If I were Eliot Spitzer's wife, I wouldnt have gone to that press conference with him. I would have held my own to go tell him to fuck himself.

deep said:

there is a standard of vision that must be met

a person can have some sight
and still be "legally" blind

In fact most legally blind people do have some sense of light, or very little sight. Few are actually living in complete darkness.

Back
Top Bottom