I censored a painting!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
As many of you know, I had a major disappointment at the studio a couple of weeks ago when some of my paintings didn't get accepted for an exhibition. I started a painting after that, of me getting stabbed. I've decided that this painting is in really questionable taste, so I'm not going to make it public. I started it at home, and that's where it's going to stay. I'm sure other artists make similar decisions every day.

:mad: dammit deep, you stole my line! Now I have to wait another 6 months before something actually funny occurs to me again!

:wink: And I'm not sure whether I should feel disappointed or relieved that a picture of the painting was not posted...

Rage can give birth to some truly magnificent art, think of Artemesia Gentilleschi's Judith with the Head of Holofernes for example.

misery_v2.jpg

verte76 said:
I started a painting after that, of me getting stabbed.

Sounds interesting. I like pictures that provoke me in a way..

verte76 said:
I've decided that this painting is in really questionable taste, so I'm not going to make it public.

That´s your decision. sometimes, the best messages are strong, uncensored ones, but sometimes, things just are a little over-... oversomething, if you know what I mean, so hmm.. I wouldn´t "censor" myself because it might be offensive to others, but I would "censor" myself if I think it is not a piece of art that represents me.

verte76 said:
I'm sure other artists make similar decisions every day.

Yes they do. I´ve been writing song lyrics that I will never use. Some are too negative. Some are those stories that have this "so what"-factor.., and I´m not Dylan who can sing just about anything. And no more crooning love songs.

So yes, every artist makes those decisions every day.

Still, I would be interested in seeing your newest creation... [you could create a buzz by saying you´re not gonna show it to anyone.. marketing 101]

Yeah, art is expression. I don't like every painting I do. I've got about six canvases just sitting in my workroom that I never took to the studio. I often have two projects going simultaneously, one at the studio and one at home in the workroom. I am going to take another painting to the studio that I just finished, a piece called "Alchemy". It features a likeness of an athanor, a medieval alchemist's furnace. But the one of me getting stabbed, no, I don't like it, so it's staying at home.

Back
Top Bottom