Hunting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

80sU2isBest

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Hey what are some of you folks' opinion on hunting? You all know that I'm all for gun rights. However, I believe that hunting as a sport is wrong. If someone can get their meat at the store, I think purposely killing an animal is wrong. I realize that are many instances, especially in other countries, in which not hunting means the family will starve. And that's necessary. But as far as people hunting who don't have to? Nope, don't agree with it.

Originally posted by Se7en:
Can you buy deer meat in a grocery store?
Nope, you sure can't, but I don't understand why not. Does it have something to do with the meat not being able to be preserved as long?

I've seen moose meat in a grocery store in Finland.

I think hunting as a sport is cruel and unnecessary.

It really depends on where you live regarding deer meat and other unconventional meat products. If you can get a hold of a good meat store, you might find these, but that usually means you are in a good hunting area, which usually means it's more north (even further north than where I live even).

As for hunting, I think well-regulated season hunting is great, even though I will readily admit that I could never do it. In fact, I think it's more humane and ethical to kill for your own meat, rather than rely on store meat, which is often the result of corporate animal cruelty, along with genetic and hormonal alterations. In other words, the hunted animals have died a far more humane death than, for instance, they were part of a farm. Besides, deer, for instance, are incredibly overpopulated, so season hunting of deer does nothing to decimate their population.

And who would think that we'd be on these particular sides regarding hunting? You'd think it would be the exact opposite.
wink.gif

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Where I live deer hunting here is a way of life. We are really overpopulated with deer. You would not believe the dead deer along the roadways that have been hit by vehicles. A friend of mine has hit a deer 3 different times, doing a lot of damage to her car. I don't believe in hunting and don't eat deer meat. At one time coyotes were brought in to help kill the deer, but it was not very successful.

Originally posted by melon:
I think it's more humane and ethical to kill for your own meat, rather than rely on store meat, which is often the result of corporate animal cruelty, along with genetic and hormonal alterations. In other words, the hunted animals have died a far more humane death than, for instance, they were part of a farm.

Absolutely. Hunters know exactly how the animal went from the wild to the table, something you can never know when buying meat from a store.

Originally posted by tiny dancer:
A friend of mine has hit a deer 3 different times, doing a lot of damage to her car.
How did that deer survive being hit 3 times?
wink.gif

It only survived after the first two hits.

I'm all for hunting as long as it's used for food. I don't think people should be required to get their meat at grocery stores. Some people have problems with that. Hunting purely for sport, though, is wrong. This is one reason I don't like Ted Nugent. He likes to kill indescriminately (yes, even endangered species).

God i love these new smilies!

Well first of all, it is not absolutely vital for most people to eat meat. Do your own health a favor and avoid eating parts of corpses,wild and domestic.
Ted Nugent is an ass. Note how ugly he is. See what happens when you eat possum fritters all day?
That said, if you absolutely must eat meat, you can stick with the conventional kinds. No need for deer meat. Although i do agree that generally speaking, the deer suffer far less by being shot then the domestic stock do when they are slaughtered.Deer dont know until the last seconds whats in store for them, and provided the hunter is a good shot, it is a hell of a lot less painful than slaughter. But its still cruel.
Anyone who hunts for sport is an asshole, a fool, a loser, and a murderer. Its sick. You wanna kill something? Then join the military or a police force and go out and hunt and kill the evil that inhabit the earth. But most hunters never would, because they are COWARDS and too chicken(no pun intended) to ever hunt something that can shoot back.

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Originally posted by Miss MacPhisto:
Well first of all, it is not absolutely vital for most people to eat meat. Do your own health a favor and avoid eating parts of corpses,wild and domestic.

Not everyone is content to be waif-like and unathletic, the human body is a machine and needs fuel. To quote the great Chris Rock "If you live in a part of the world where you're rich enough to eat a steak, bite the **** out of it."

Anyone who hunts for sport is an asshole, a fool, a loser, and a murderer. Its sick. ...But most hunters never would, because they are COWARDS and too chicken(no pun intended) to ever hunt something that can shoot back.

An ignorant generalization about a large group of people you know little about. Chalk one up for you.

[This message has been edited by Johnny Swallow (edited 10-30-2001).]

Johnny Swallow:
Such as tigers, elephants, rhinos, and such. He was boasting on a call-in radio show about it.

As for eating deer, I see no problem with it. Deer meat tends to be very lean.

Oh, i almost forgot: My Maryland friend told me once about how a couple of friends of hers were driving through the woods(probably in West Virginia...) and they hit a deer. They got out of their car and went over to the deer, but then suddenly a couple came running out of their house carrying butcher knives and bags. They grabbed the deer and began carving it! The friends asked them what they were doing and they said something like "Oh, we've got another one in the freezer. " Oh...my...God...
eek.gif

You see folks, some stereotypes can come TRUE!
biggrin.gif

*Scrrreeeeeeech!!!BAM!*
"Kids...dinners ready!!!!!!!"

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

You see folks, some stereotypes can come TRUE!
biggrin.gif

*Scrrreeeeeeech!!!BAM!*
"Kids...dinners ready!!!!!!!"

The point being what? That those dumb country people are not as enlightened as you? Please. They ate meat off a deer that was dead, just as they would have if they had shot the deer. It still would have been dead and they still would have eaten it.

Ignorant? I've been studying this issue since I was a toddler. YOU havent. Youre the uneducated one here.

If so, you should know more about the culture and mentality of why people hunt. It's not about killing. You might say you've been studying it for years, but you understand little about the culture.

Was wondering when youd show up, Bama...Now i must wait for Rougey...
As a matter of fact, it was mentioned by a DR on the radio that the one guy(the uncle, i think) had been hunting/fishing in those waters, and had dropped some chum over the side in the hopes of catching something. Dont know if the DR had his info straight but that does sound like a very likely possibility.
Too bad the guilty ones are never the ones that get hurt.
As for hunters, anyone who goes around shooting at something that cant shoot back...is a coward. That is the very definiton of a coward.
In some parts of the world, the native people believe that, if you kill a tiger, in your next life you will return as a man eater.
Guess Dead Ted can look forward to starring in a remake of a Disney classic in his next life...

------------------

Sorry. Your argument falls apart right here. While most nutrients gained from animal products can be also found in plants, there is one essential nutrient found exclusively in animals: vitamin B12. This vitamin is highly essential for nerve function, amongst other things.

Ted Nugent is an ass. Note how ugly he is. See what happens when you eat possum fritters all day?

The last two superficial sentences aside, he is an ass. However, he is not representative of all meateaters. It would be like representing all vegetarians with rabid, uptight, feminist butch lesbians (apologies to potential lesbians reading this).

That said, if you absolutely must eat meat, you can stick with the conventional kinds. No need for deer meat. Although i do agree that generally speaking, the deer suffer far less by being shot then the domestic stock do when they are slaughtered.Deer dont know until the last seconds whats in store for them, and provided the hunter is a good shot, it is a hell of a lot less painful than slaughter. But its still cruel.

And who defines "conventional"? Deer may look cute and cuddly, but they are an overpopulated nuisance in much of the country, and it's not like it's free range to kill deer all year long. There is a specific legislated season for deer hunting, along with further restrictions.

Anyone who hunts for sport is an asshole, a fool, a loser, and a murderer. Its sick. You wanna kill something? Then join the military or a police force and go out and hunt and kill the evil that inhabit the earth. But most hunters never would, because they are COWARDS and too chicken(no pun intended) to ever hunt something that can shoot back.

Well, I really don't know what you're defining as "sport," but that's an incredibly stereotypical generalization of hunters. The few I do know legally hunt and deep freeze the meat for human consumption. If you think that all hunters are Ted Nugent-like militia men, get that out of your head, because it's not representative again.

I must say that I'm mostly disappointed with the contents of this post, but, hey, you are surely entitled to your opinion, and I'm not gonna hold it against you.

And, man, who would have thought I'd be fighting on this side of the argument?

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

As for B-12...Then how do vegans survive? As i stated in a post about animal rights, it is currently impossible to eat an entirely cruelty free diet. There are ingredients hidden in foods and other products that most people aree not even aware of come from animals. But it certainly is possible to get all the B-12 you need without resulting to buying a slab of flesh from a grocery store.
As for overpopulation of deer, nature would have done just fine most of the time if jackasses hadnt gone and tipped the balance in the deers favor by killing so many predators. In areas where natural predators are not available or arent doing the job well enough, sterilization can be done, as can relocating.
Hinters kill for the fun of it. Nothing more needs to be said. Anyone who kills innocents for fun is a coward. They ALL kill for fun or they wouldnt be out there. It isnt vital in this country to kill for food. Some claim they just love nature. So do I. And i shoot animals too. With a camera...
rolleyes.gif

Oh, and about predators not always keeping the deer population in check...Well then why do hunters and government assholes always blame the predators for depleting sheep, deer, and other often hunted animals' populations????? Hmmm...I smell a rat...A big, fat, rich one...
rolleyes.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by Miss MacPhisto (edited 10-30-2001).]

Miss MacPhisto, your comments could have been offensive but are mostly just silly.
You claim to have studied hunting and meat eating since you were a toddler but then you equate the average hunter with that buffoon Ted Nugent which is absurd. (You must have been quite the child prodigy as a two year old by the way. Lot's of late night studying at the library on the feasability of a vegan diet and the psychological mindset of the American hunter.)
For you information I actually have studied hunting since I was a toddler because I grew up in rural Maine where hunting is a way of life. It's a place where many poor families supplement their diets over the winter with deer, grouse, pheasant, duck, rabbit and moose shot in the fall. It's a place where understatement is a way of life and folks like Ted Nugent are looked upon with disdain or at least amusement.
When you dismiss hunters as fools, murderers and cowards you are dismissing millions upon millions of people all over the world. Perhaps more important to you, you are dismissing generation upon generation of your own ancestors. RECENT ancestors I might add.
I've always felt a genial sort of contempt for folks who think eating cow or chicken parts purchased from a store is all right but actually killing the animal is offensive. That is hyprocrisy of the tallest order. They seem to think that it's okay to consume meat so long as you remain willfully ignorant of where it came from and how it got to your table. How is this admirable?
It's yet another example of some American's absurd willingness to wallow in ignorance. I'm convinced that there must be millions of young American children who have no idea where hamburger or chicken wings come from. If you want to see something truly cruel and disturbing visit a slaughterhouse someday.

MAP

p.s.- Are you aware that in Maine many deer killed on the highway are given to the poor for food? Does that make Mainers hicks or more honest than you?

Uh....hello...CAN YOU READ?! You obviously didnt read my previous replies. I dont eat store bought meat.
And I learned about hunting when i was a very small child, yes. And i abhorred it from the beginning, That is what i meant. I formed my first animal rights group when i was 7.
And, as a matter of fact, McDonalds often shows pretty pictures of happy smiling hamburgers growing like plants in pretty fields, on stalks of grass and what not. Good God.
Oh...and another point i'd like to make. I have lived in poverty much of my life. Most recently i went 8 days(not consecutively) without food(in June) due to lack of money.
I DID NOT RESORT TO KILLING,NOR DID I RESORT TO EATING MEAT. For that matter, i also did not try stealing, begging,drug dealing,prostitution, or any other illegal money making venture. Nor did i ask anyone for help. It was my problem ,and i endured it. If people are too dumb or too blind to see what i was going through, or too cruel to care, then tough luck.

------------------

As for my ancestors, i forgive them and many people of a certain era who believed hunting was a decent thing to do with your time. They didnt know any better, though something in their minds should have clicked, just as they shouldve known better than to treat women, minorities and others the way they did. Plus, long ago, many people did have to hunt and wear furs to survive. They had an excuse. Americans today do not. And no, none of my recent ancestors hunted, or at least not on a regular basis. But times are different now, and most people cannot claim ignorance.

Oh,and Melon...I may be "Rabid and Uptight..." But I am NOT a butch lesbian!!!
wink.gif

And feminist? Ehhhh......not really...

"When God created man...She was only kidding."
biggrin.gif

------------------

Originally posted by melon:
It really depends on where you live regarding deer meat and other unconventional meat products. If you can get a hold of a good meat store, you might find these, but that usually means you are in a good hunting area, which usually means it's more north (even further north than where I live even).
Melon

Melon, I have read a lot of your posts over the last couple of months and I can now honestly say: you seem to know everything! i'm not kidding, from the economy to the availability of exotic meats. it's incredible.

------------------
i'm a reasonable man
get off my case

Originally posted by Matthew_Page2000:
I've always felt a genial sort of contempt for folks who think eating cow or chicken parts purchased from a store is all right but actually killing the animal is offensive. That is hyprocrisy of the tallest order. They seem to think that it's okay to consume meat so long as you remain willfully ignorant of where it came from and how it got to your table.
If you hold a genial contempt for us, you're nor looking at it in the way some of us are. What I'm saying is this: Yes, I'll eat meat. I'm not opposed to people who eat meat. But there are already industries that provide us with meat. If someone has no access to that meat, then hunting may be a necessity, and that's fine. What I don't understand is how people can enjoy killing an animal and doing it as a sport. Like I said previously, if it's a necessity, fine, no problem. But why do some people see it as a sport? Makes no sense to me...

[This message has been edited by 80sU2isBest (edited 10-30-2001).]

Since I live in an area where the beginning of hunting season is as important as christmas, I think I can give a good insight into this since most people against hunting don't really know much about it at all.

First off in my community, hunting season is actually a must to maintain the population of the animals here. Last year, after we had one of the largest and best hunting seasons ever, 150 deer still had to be shot because of the over population of the species. That is showing how a forested area like mine does have problems with animals since they basically do two things, 1.) breed and 2.) eat. When an animal is over populated it becomes an environmental risk to the area and causes more things like car accidents (deer running out in the road unexpectedly) and destroy more of the land (animals eating food which is basically the land's resources).

Also hunting season in our area has been a controlled one. There aren't stories of people killing other people or going on rampages. Hunting season around here basically comes accident free. Now it is obvious most people against hunting are people in european countries, countries that look at guns a lot differently than the usa. But hey, one of the rights people have here is to own a gun to hunt with or defend their family with and even though you disagree with you should still respect our decision. Even if you take the guns away from a society, that isn't going to make all the bad people not bad people. To solve the problem associated with guns you have to start somewhere else, the divorce rate in america being one.

I personally don't hunt myself but i see the right people have to hunt and understand its necessity in some areas.

~rougerum

Back
Top Bottom