Hunters kill each other over deer stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...8&e=2&u=/ap/20041122/ap_on_re_us/hunters_shot

5 Killed, 3 Hurt in Wis. Hunting Dispute

21 minutes ago U.S. National - AP

By JOSHUA FREED, Associated Press Writer

BIRCHWOOD, Wis. - A deer hunter killed five people and wounded three more in a dispute over a hunting platform on private property during the opening weekend of deer season, authorities said.

A 36-year-old man was arrested Sunday afternoon when he came out of the woods, sheriff's officials said.

Deputy Jake Hodgkinson identified the suspect as Chai Vang but would give no details. Vang is from St. Paul, Minn., said Paul Schnell, a spokesman for the St. Paul police department.

The shooting started when two hunters returning to their rural cabin on private land saw the suspect in one of their hunting platforms in a tree, Sawyer County Chief Deputy Tim Zeigle said. Hunters often build platforms in trees in order to be able to view prey and shoot from a high angle.

Both of those hunters were wounded and one of them radioed friends at the cabin a quarter-mile away. Other members of their group responded and they also were shot, he said.

"It's absolutely nuts. Why? Over sitting in a tree stand?" asked Zeigle.

Zeigle said the suspect was "chasing after them and killing them," with a SKS 7.62 mm semiautomatic rifle, a common hunting weapon. Wisconsin's statewide deer gun hunting season started Saturday and lasts for nine days.

About 20 shots were fired but it was unclear if any of the hunters had fired at the suspect or who might have shot first, Zeigle said. There was just one gun among the eight people killed or wounded, he said.

The dead included a a teenage boy and a woman, and a father and son, Zeigle said. Some of the victims were shot more than once. All five were from the Rice Lake area, about 15 miles southwest of Birchwood in the northwestern part of the state, he said.

Authorities found two bodies near each other and the others were scattered over 100 yards.

The suspect, who did not have a compass, got lost in the woods and two other hunters who didn't know about the shootings helped him find his way out, Zeigle said.

The man was arrested when he emerged from the woods and a Department of Natural Resources officer recognized the deer license on his back from a description given by one of the shooting victims, Zeigle said.

The man was out of ammunition, he said.

One of the injured hunters was in critical condition at St. Joseph's Hospital. Another was listed in serious condition and the third was in fair condition, both at Lakeview Medical Center.

Hunter Bill Wagner, 72, of Oshkosh, was about two miles away near Deer Lake with a party of about 20 other hunters when they heard sirens, planes and helicopters and discovered roads in the area had been barricaded.

"When you're hunting you don't expect somebody to try to shoot you and murder you," Wagner said. "You have no idea who is coming up to you."

"We're all old, dyed-in-wool hunters," he said. "We wouldn't go home because of this, but we will keep it in our minds. We're not forgetting it."

This makes me sick to my stomach.... I am a hunter and hunt in both Minnesota and Wisconsin. I was just hunting this weekend as a matter of fact. I've had to kick people off of our private property and have always wondered "what if this guy is nuts." It's a scary thought when someone is holding a high powered rifle....

One correction... The SKS 7.62 mm is NOT a common hunting rifle. I grew up in the country and just about everyone I know is a hunter, and nobody would even consider using an SKS. I'm sure they're used, but they aren't common. Common calibers are 30-06, .270, .308, .243 and 30-30's.

I agree that "crazy" people shouldn't own guns, but how do you tell who the "crazies" are? That's the predicament that we wrestle with when contemplating the whole concept of gun ownership. No doubt this is why some people support gun control. I'm confused over this issue myself and don't really have strong feelings about it, one way or the other.

This same line of reasoning could be applied to the area of bearing children. Arguably, unfit parents are more of a danger to their children than selfish hunters with guns.

I can't say altogether that crazy people shouldn't exist. I'm sure there's been a handful of "ex-crazies" who have found peace and sense in their lives.

If they don't get guns, they'll kill you with knives, hammers, baseball bats, broken whiskey bottles, poison, or fire. And they don't even need permits! One guy in my paper was subdued by a broom handle and kicked to death. Nothing stops a crazy.

Oh please let's not have people start using this as a prop for an anti-gun crusade. Psychopaths are psychopaths, the hunting rifle is accidental. Sounds like the guy was completely deranged and decided to hunt anything that moved. I come from a long line of deer hunters and we've never had any disputes or accidents. We obey the laws and the rules of the property owners (for example, on so-and-so's land, no bucks under 4 points or you can find another property to hunt on) and no one gets hurt.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Oh please let's not have people start using this as a prop for an anti-gun crusade. Psychopaths are psychopaths, the hunting rifle is accidental.

Accidental? (Incidental?) It was the murder weapon.

I wonder if he actually went there with killing people in mind...it's entirely possible. There was a serial killer in this general area several years ago and he preyed on hunters and joggers. They are often in isolated areas and it's easier to get away without being caught (unless you get lost :| ).

The weird thing is that I grew up nearly 20 miles south of that region. And people in that part of the area went to my school district actually, so I'm quite familiar with the area.

Very sad nevertheless. I couldn't imagine something like that ever happening up there. It's crazy. But hopefully, we can get answers on what specifically made that man snap right then and there.

Oh please let's not have people start using this as a prop for an anti-gun crusade. Psychopaths are psychopaths, the hunting rifle is accidental. Sounds like the guy was completely deranged and decided to hunt anything that moved. I come from a long line of deer hunters and we've never had any disputes or accidents. We obey the laws and the rules of the property owners (for example, on so-and-so's land, no bucks under 4 points or you can find another property to hunt on) and no one gets hurt.

This was NOT accidental, it was intentional. BUT I agree with you I hate to see incidents like this used to get the anti-gun crusades riled up. As I posted, if someone is crazy, they don't need a gun, they can use something else. There is no knife, hammer or broomstick control.

U2Kitten said:

As I posted, if someone is crazy, they don't need a gun, they can use something else. There is no knife, hammer or broomstick control.

Yes anything can be used as a weapon, but I'd rather take my chances defending myself against a broomstick or a knife rather than a gun. Guns you don't have to be spitting distance to kill someone. Guns still need to be controled but even in a controled environment, situations like this won't be stopped entirely.

verte76 said:
This is complete, total insanity. Killing over a damn *deer stand*?
I agree, it's complete stupidity. I see what you're saying. Although the word "insanity" might be interpreted differently to some who control our legal system.

U2Kitten said:

This was NOT accidental, it was intentional. BUT I agree with you I hate to see incidents like this used to get the anti-gun crusades riled up. As I posted, if someone is crazy, they don't need a gun, they can use something else. There is no knife, hammer or broomstick control.

No no no, not accidental as in an accident (noun), lol. Accidental as in "associated by chance and not an integral part" (adjective). read: He didn't kill people because he had a gun, he killed people b/c he was a psychopath. Anyway, enough w/ the English 101.....

He didn't kill people because he had a gun, he killed people b/c he was a psychopath.

I agree with this.

The English lesson I found a bit offensive, after all, that's how it looked, and I wasn't the only person who said it

:|

Well, yes, if someone is going to kill, they're not going to be picky about the means. They won't necessarily have to have a gun, it's just that a gun is something you can use for this sort of thing. But it's not the only thing and the only way to solve problems like this is to go after the causes rather than the symptoms, just like you would any disease.

U2Kitten said:

The English lesson I found a bit offensive, after all, that's how it looked, and I wasn't the only person who said it

I meant, I didn't want to hijack the thread, but I couldn't think of another word fit.

Back
Top Bottom