HP to merge with Compaq

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lilly

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
So Carly what's-her-name wants to merge the two "struggling" companies into one not-so-struggling company. Experts are questioning the validity of the move. It's shaky too since HP doesn't want to as it will cost upwards of 15,000 jobs. It doesn't make sense why she would want to do it...but...she does and so I say: What do you think?

------------------
*Proud owner, maker, and baker of THE U2 cookies*

So what do you mean exactly by saying HP doesn?t want? They could have token a free decision, right?
It makes perfect sense because of 15.000 salaries less (and if they need anyone new, they?ll put the production in some place like China, where you get infrastructure for free, less wages, and a new form of slavery in trade free zones).

Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars:
So what do you mean exactly by saying HP doesn?t want?

the largest shareholder doesn't want to - he's the son of the hewlett guy i think, and he owns like 25% of the company. the ceo and board approved the decision, as did compaq. now they are waiting for the proxy vote. it will probably pass.

Well then the son of h remembers me a little of this old guy in "Pretty Woman" (We will build ships - big ships!)
Real honour there - or other reasons?

p.s. Does "old money" still exist at all?

he'd probably say it's honor but it's more because he's a spoiled dilettante who's never really worked before and doesn't want to see his share decrease. he really has no idea how to run a company. not that carly the ceo is necessarily in it for the honor either. she'll make an insane amount of money from the merger even if it blows up later.

[This message has been edited by Screaming Flower (edited 03-14-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom