How wrong is embryonic stem cell research in this case?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angela Harlem

Jesus Online
"Flynn McDermott estimates that in the 22 years since she developed
juvenile diabetes as a 14-month-old toddler, she has given herself
35,000 finger pricks and injections of insulin - up to eight of them a
day.

Living with the disease, which can lead to blindness, heart disease and
kidney failure, "is expensive, time-consuming and frightening," she
says.

Despite rigorous attention to diet, exercise and blood sugar control,
she has already had to be treated for a complication that causes the
blood vessels of her eyes to leak, and can lead to blindness.

Ms McDermott, a high school teacher, is cynical about medical
breakthroughs. "I distinctly remember being told there would be a cure
for diabetes by the time I was 18."

But now she believes researchers are onto something big. Yesterday she
challenged the country's politicians to "make a difference" to the lives
of the 100,000 babies, children and young people with juvenile diabetes,
by not banning Australian scientists from working on a range of human
embryonic stem cell research.

She said it could lead to the production of insulin-producing cells to
cure diabetes, as well as other tissue to repair diabetics' damaged
eyes, hearts and kidneys. "Don't deny us this chance to live our lives
simply and well."

Australians were clever people. "We can design safeguards and protocols
to insure good research for worthwhile ends," she said.

Ms McDermott said researchers should not be banned from extracting more
stem cells from excess IVF embryos that were destined to be discarded.

This harvesting would be carried out on frozen embryos at the five- to
six-day stage, when they were smaller than a fullstop.

She said she appreciated that a small minority of people believed these
unwanted embryos had a right to life. "But I would challenge them and
say, what about my right to life?"

Ms McDermott was backing a call by the Juvenile Diabetes Research
Foundation for state and federal governments to implement the
recommendations of a two-year inquiry into stem cells.

The inquiry decided by a six-to-four majority to give the go-ahead to
harvesting of stem cells from surplus IVF embryos, but federal cabinet
is favouring a proposal to overturn this recommendation and support a
ban on embryo harvesting.

Sally Shepherd, whose 12-year-old son, James, developed diabetes when he
was five, said she would love a cure for her child to be developed.

"If these are embryos that are spare, why not use them?"

She said she also supported the foundation's call for therapeutic
cloning not to be banned.

In this scenario, cells from a patient would be cloned to form an embryo
to enable the perfectly matched stem cells to be collected and used for
treatments."

Do you agree or disagree?

------------------
"I think, therefore I um..."

Well, I'm torn. On one hand, these embryos will be destroyed. Hence, they will be killed. However, their deaths will not be in vain if, perhaps, we use it for stem-cell research. To me, it is like an unfortunate circumstance where good could come from it. It is too bad that these embryos exist in the first place, but they may do good in the end? I don't know.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

The main reason why this got me thinking is because I'm a diabetic. As there is no such thing as a 'cure' for type 1 diabetes, I'm probably a little biased. I agree with you guys though that stem, cell research is definately good for conditions such as diabetes,as well as other immuno deficiencies. The thing about this that got me wondering so much was the idea of cloning. I'm usually dead against it in the sense of creating a full new life form, but I'm now wondering if there in fact any difference between cloning just a few cells, as in essence that is all we are.
In regard to the embryo research I think it will be about as successful as current attempts at beta cell transplants, but the cloning I hate to say is something I am selfishly leaning in favour of.
I dunno, thanks for your thoughts guys.

I'm all for stem cell research in most cases. Seriously, these are fetuses (feti?) that are going to be destroyed. They can save a life if used. I think it's a great thing and a great opportunity for medical research.

I'm against anything that calls for a killing of a human life. The basic facts concerning stem-cell research is that it requires the harvesting of cells from a human life at embryo stage. Yes, there are many babies killed this way that we can not do anything about. Please don't justify it by saying that we can cure men's ills by recycling these aborted fetuses/embryos. It's disgusting...it's direct from the novel 1987..i think that's the title..and anyone who wants that future has something wrong with them.

There is hope for people with diabetes. My grandmother has a form of it. However, she learned to endure and protect herself because she respects her life and others. She also has a hope of an everlasting life that only God can provide. He will provide a perfect life for us someday if we have the accurate knowledge and fortitude to stand up for morals and common decency in this lifetime.

I'm against anything that calls for a killing of a human life. The basic facts concerning stem-cell research is that it requires the harvesting of cells from a human life at embryo stage. Yes, there are many babies killed this way that we can not do anything about. Please don't justify it by saying that we can cure men's ills by recycling these aborted fetuses/embryos. It's disgusting...it's direct from the novel 1987..i think that's the title..and anyone who wants that future has something wrong with them.

Dont tell me I have something wrong with me, I already know that. Perhaps I could provide a list? Its really like melon said, if something good can come out of it, isn't that a good thing?

There is hope for people with diabetes. My grandmother has a form of it. However, she learned to endure and protect herself because she respects her life and others.

You imply that I dont have respect for life. Endure and protect are curious words. I have very good control, a knowledge of the condition would show that its not always enough. As a result of my diabetes, I am developing glaucoma. I also cannot have children. I do not like my feelings of support to stem cell research, but if there is no hope for these embryo's, it just might help me. I am only 25. I want children, and I do not want to be blind in 10 years. And I do not respect the implication that I have no respect for human life.

She also has a hope of an everlasting life that only God can provide. He will provide a perfect life for us someday if we have the accurate knowledge and fortitude to stand up for morals and common decency in this lifetime.

I have sucked it up for the last 16 years. I, like you have no idea at all what awaits us when we are dead. As I have not only no control over what happens, but no knowledge, I have only the years left on this earth to worry about. And it is not enough for me to say "oh well, when Im dead it will be sweet"
Sorry if this reply sounds too defensive, but there is this overall tone of rightousness in your reply that I cant get past.

Originally posted by brettig:
1984?

Ronald Reagan is elected for a second term by a landslide...an evil year indeed!
wink.gif

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

mad.gif

Embryonic cell research doesn't harm anybody. The egg that's used is an UNFERTILIZED egg, meaning no baby. All it is is taking an egg from a female, extracting her DNA and inserting DNA for what you want to create (i.e a liver, kidney, etc). A new thing docotrs are trying to push is saving your baby's umbilical cord. It contains millions of unspecified cells in it that is a match for your child. Meaning if they grew a kidney out of it, the kidney would not be rejected. And if you're against that whole "let's grow an organ" thing, the cells in there also contain cells to create bone marrow. So if your child got leukemia and no family member was a match, they could use their own marrow.

------------------
*Proud owner, maker, and baker of THE U2 cookies*

Originally posted by melon:
Ronald Reagan is elected for a second term by a landslide...an evil year indeed!
wink.gif

Melon

Hey! Let's not rock on 1984. Some of us were born then. It was a not-so-evil-evil year ok?

------------------
*Proud owner, maker, and baker of THE U2 cookies*

Originally posted by ]{arao]{e:
it's direct from the novel 1987..i think that's the title..and anyone who wants that future has something wrong with them.

tongue.gif

In answer to your original question.

IT'S VERY WRONG.

I understand how you feel...i'm sorry if I made you feel bad. However, if you're going to bring up issues like these...then you have to be honest and be willing to face the answers. I don't expect you to come to an epiphany overnight about your future.
1 Cor 10:12 However, I have confidence that God will not give you anything you cannot bear. Consequently let him that thinks he is standing beware that he does not fall. 13 No temptation has taken YOU except what is common to men. But God is faithful, and he will not let YOU be tempted beyond what YOU can bear, but along with the temptation he will also make the way out in order for YOU to be able to endure it.

Originally posted by ]{arao]{e:
In answer to your original question.
IT'S VERY WRONG.
I understand how you feel...i'm sorry if I made you feel bad. However, if you're going to bring up issues like these...then you have to be honest and be willing to face the answers. I don't expect you to come to an epiphany overnight about your future.
1 Cor 10:12 However, I have confidence that God will not give you anything you cannot bear. Consequently let him that thinks he is standing beware that he does not fall. 13 No temptation has taken YOU except what is common to men. But God is faithful, and he will not let YOU be tempted beyond what YOU can bear, but along with the temptation he will also make the way out in order for YOU to be able to endure it.

You have NOT stated what you think is so wrong about it, all you have done is quoted the Bible, which may be enough for you, but isn't enough for others.

Its all very well to quote the Bible, but you have to accept that it doesn't fill everyone with the hope it does for you; no matter what that passage says I still have no clue what will happen to me when I die, no clue of what happens afterwards, if anything happens at all. If you're going to address something that is a UNIVERSAL topic, its better to talk in universal terms, not just quote from a belief system that only applies to you.

I don't think its wrong at all. It plans to do no harm, and it does no harm. It does what we as Human beings are meant to do, evolve and advance. Yes, carry on if it will help humanity, proceed. The guarantee of the Bible is NOT enough for lots of people, and condeming it just because the Bible is enough for you is not, I believe, justified.

Ant.

Back
Top Bottom