How up-to-speed is Bono?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZooMacPhisto800

War Child
Bono and the Prime Minister of Canada have formed a mutually-beneficial relationship. Bono appeals to the PM for aid, the PM appeals to Bono for "pop"ular support... Anyway, after only a year in power, the Canadian government (a minority) do not have the confidence of the House (of Commons) and there's going to be an election in January. Does Bono know this? Will he use it to his advantage or will he just operate under the assumption that the PM is still in power (and will be for 3 years) and make some speech to that effect. Hopefully he does something relevant to the current political situation in Canada.

I've moved this to FYM as it seems more fitting there.

As for the question...

I'm certain Bono is aware of the political environment. He was supposed to meet, along with DATA staff, Belinda Stronach and other MPs today.

He has made it explicitly clear that he understands his value as a political tool. Unless promises, presumably taking the form of an election platform plank as the government will soon fall, are forthcoming, I would expect Bono to resist the election hype photo op.

Stronach seems an odd choice to meet with though. She certainly has better 'photo value', if you will, but her Cabinet responsibilities (human resources and democratic renewal) have little in common with Bono's concerns. However with the PM in the west at his own important meetings, Stronach is sensible as she is in Cabinet and thus close to power.

Last edited:
kobayashi said:
I'm certain Bono is aware of the political environment. He was supposed to meet, along with DATA staff, Belinda Stronach and other MPs today.

Is Belinda Stronach related to Frank Stronach? Frank does lots of sponsoring, Red Bull, friend of Mateschitz etc.

She represents this very conservative (by Ontario standards), upper middle class area just north of Toronto. I had a student in my lab from there a couple of years ago. Totally loaded, totally Conservative voting on the basis of "those people should just get jobs instead of welfare", and she was so excited to have Belinda squeak out a victory.

Then she switches teams and joins the Liberals. I gotta tell you, it may be small of me, but I laughed and laughed and laughed that day. :wink:

at her age and position, belinda could become leader of the liberal party, prime minister of canada and return to magna as the leader before she is in her mid forties. not bad for a university graduate. the nation could certainly have a worse leader im sure, but she also wouldnt be the best.

Back
Top Bottom