How Saddam Failed The Yeltsin Test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STING2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
http://www.cfr.org/pub7204/stephen_r_sestanovich/how_saddam_failed_the_yeltsin_test.php

By Stephen R. Sestanovich

The New York Times, July 21, 2004

Most anyone who's worked in government has a story -- probably re-told often these days, given the Iraq debate -- about facing a big decision on the basis of information that then turned out to be wrong. My favorite is from August 1998 when, with Bill Clinton just three days away from a trip to Moscow, the Central Intelligence Agency reported that President Boris Yeltsin of Russia was dead.

In 1998 the news that Mr. Yeltsin had died was, of course, no more surprising than the news, in 2003, that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction. It matched what we knew of his health and habits, and the secretive handling of his earlier illnesses. Nor was anyone puzzled by the lack of an announcement. Russia's financial crash 10 days earlier had set off a political crisis, and we assumed a fierce Kremlin succession struggle was raging behind the scenes.

In the agonizing conference calls that ensued, all government agencies played their usual parts. The C.I.A. stood by its sources but was uncomfortable making any recommendation. National Security Council officials, knowing Mr. Clinton wasn't eager for the trip, wanted to pull the plug immediately. The State Department (in this case, me) insisted we'd look pretty ridiculous canceling the meeting because Mr. Yeltsin was dead -- only to discover that he wasn't.

Eventually we decided that the Russians had to let the deputy secretary of state, Strobe Talbott, who was in Moscow for pre-summit meetings, see Mr. Yeltsin within 24 hours or the trip was off. Nothing else would convince us: no phone call, no television appearance, no doctor's testimony. The next day Mr. Yeltsin, hale and hearty, greeted Mr. Talbott in his office, and two days later Bill Clinton got on the plane to Moscow.

When the trip was over, I phoned the C.I.A. analyst who had relayed the false report. He was apologetic -- sort of. ''You have to understand,'' he said. ''We missed the Indian and Pakistani nuclear tests last spring. We're under a lot of pressure not to miss anything else.''

Some of the lessons of this episode are the same as those emerging from the Iraq debate: sensitive intelligence is often too weak to guide important decisions; if the information fits what we already believe, or what we want to do, it gets too little scrutiny.

Yet Mr. Yeltsin's ''near-death experience'' of 1998 carries another lesson that unfortunately hasn't been part of the current controversy. When policymakers have imperfect information about a serious problem (which is almost always), what should they do? The answer, then as now, is to shift the burden of proof to the other guy. If we had been denied that meeting with Mr. Yeltsin, it would hardly have proved that he was dead. But we would have canceled the trip all the same. Russian uncooperativeness -- not our poor intelligence -- would have left us no choice.

Going to war and canceling a trip are vastly different matters, but what the Bush administration did with Saddam Hussein in the run-up to war followed the same rule: it challenged him to prove that American intelligence was wrong, so that the responsibility for war was his, not ours.

Clearly, President Bush and his advisers did not expect Saddam Hussein to cooperate in this test, and might still have wanted war if he had. But even if the administration had handled other aspects of the issue differently, it would still have been necessary to subject Iraq to a test. In our debate about the war, we need to acknowledge that the administration set the right test for Saddam Hussein -- and that he did not pass it.

When America demanded that Iraq follow the example of countries like Ukraine and South Africa, which sought international help in dismantling their weapons of mass destruction, it set the bar extremely high, but not unreasonably so. The right test had to reflect Saddam Hussein's long record of acquiring, using and concealing such weapons. Just as important, it had to yield a clear enough result to satisfy doubters on both sides, either breaking the momentum for war or showing that it was justified.

Some may object that this approach treated Saddam Hussein as guilty until proved innocent. They're right. But the Bush administration did not invent this logic. When Saddam Hussein forced out United Nations inspectors in 1998, President Clinton responded with days of bombings -- not because he knew what weapons Iraq had, but because Iraq's actions kept us from finding out.

A decision on war is almost never based simply on what we know, or think we know. Intelligence is always disputed. Instead, we respond to what the other guy does. This is how we went to war in Iraq. The next time we face such a choice, whether our intelligence has improved or not, we'll almost surely decide in the very same way.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stephen Sestanovich is a senior fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations and a professor of international diplomacy at Columbia University. From 1997 to 2001 he was United States ambassador at large for the former Soviet Union.

Didn't Paul Wolfowitz himself say that the whole WMD thing was simply the beurocratic cover? Should that not be a little hint?!?

Earnie Shavers said:
Didn't Paul Wolfowitz himself say that the whole WMD thing was simply the beurocratic cover? Should that not be a little hint?!?

Ah, no, Saddam was required by the United Nations in the 1991 Gulf War Ceace Fire Agreement to "Verifiably Disarm" of all WMD or face renewed military action to accomplish that goal. There was an ongoing process to bring this about, which over a period of 12 years had some success's but still failed to achieve the goal, which made the use of military force to achieve that goal necessary.

Sh*t Sting! I didn't know that!

You're either missing the point, or you use that speech when you don't know how else to answer.

Wolfowitz is widely quoted, I think it was probably about 2 months ago, as saying that WMD's were their beaurocratic cover/distraction for going to war with Iraq, ie their public excuse. He definitely said it, and I'll try and track it down for you...

STING2 said:
Going to war and canceling a trip are vastly different matters, but what the Bush administration did with Saddam Hussein in the run-up to war followed the same rule: it challenged him to prove that American intelligence was wrong, so that the responsibility for war was his, not ours.

I think this is the central point in the article. It is also the point that shows the flaws of that rule. This isn't just a state visit you might or might not cancel, this is a war that costs thousands of deaths and injured and billions of dollars.
Then asking the other party to disprove US intelligence they won't specify (so that it cannot really debunk all the falseties point by point) or they are responsible for war is to me another lame excuse to cover up mistakes of your own. There was no way to Saddam could satisfy US demands, because the US wouldn't be satisfied with anything. By now saying that the war was Saddam's responsibility because he could not fully prove that unknown US intelligence was wrong indicates to me that they didn't have a case from the beginning and are now afraid to accept their own consequences.

:rolleyes:

Marty

Re: Re: How Saddam Failed The Yeltsin Test

Popmartijn said:

I think this is the central point in the article. It is also the point that shows the flaws of that rule. This isn't just a state visit you might or might not cancel, this is a war that costs thousands of deaths and injured and billions of dollars.
Then asking the other party to disprove US intelligence they won't specify (so that it cannot really debunk all the falseties point by point) or they are responsible for war is to me another lame excuse to cover up mistakes of your own. There was no way to Saddam could satisfy US demands, because the US wouldn't be satisfied with anything. By now saying that the war was Saddam's responsibility because he could not fully prove that unknown US intelligence was wrong indicates to me that they didn't have a case from the beginning and are now afraid to accept their own consequences.

Marty
:up:

That article is one one of the lousiest explanations I've seen as of yet.

Re: Re: Re: How Saddam Failed The Yeltsin Test

BonoVoxSupastar said:
:up:

That article is one one of the lousiest explanations I've seen as of yet.

I agree. I didn't get it at all. Saddam wanted to be another Ataturk, but he flubbed it big time. The only thing those two have in common is a secularist state philosophy.

I believe Saddam saw himself as another Nasser, plus he presented himself as the Arab defender against the Persian hoards and bringer of justice for the Palestinians (they all talk big but they are full of shit when they are faced down by a real power). Ataturk represents Turkamen nationalism and secularization of the former Caliphate as opposed to the Arab Nationalism that rose from the ashes of the Ottoman Empire and subsequent Mandate rule.

A_Wanderer said:
I believe Saddam saw himself as another Nasser, plus he presented himself as the Arab defender against the Persian hoards and bringer of justice for the Palestinians (they all talk big but they are full of shit when they are faced down by a real power). Ataturk represents Turkamen nationalism and secularization of the former Caliphate as opposed to the Arab Nationalism that rose from the ashes of the Ottoman Empire and subsequent Mandate rule.

Good points. It has been claimed, I can't remember by who, that Saddam modeled himself on Ataturk. It's also been claimed that he modeled himself on Nasser. Hm.................:confused: :confused: :confused:

Earnie Shavers said:
Sh*t Sting! I didn't know that!

You're either missing the point, or you use that speech when you don't know how else to answer.

Wolfowitz is widely quoted, I think it was probably about 2 months ago, as saying that WMD's were their beaurocratic cover/distraction for going to war with Iraq, ie their public excuse. He definitely said it, and I'll try and track it down for you...

I'm sorry, but it has been key feature of US foreign policy and the goal of the United Nations to see to it that Saddam was indeed fully disarmed since 1991! Saddam kicked out inspectors in 1998 begining the process that led to the war. The United States and the international community tried everything short of war for 12 years and failed to insure that Saddam was disarmed. That is why the war became a necessity and it achieved its objectives where other means had failed.

Something Wolfowitz said or did not say, or perhaps meant differently than others took it, is irrelevant to long standing US foreign policy over 3 different Presidential administrations and 12 years. Good Lord, every single administration in history has officials that sometimes either purposefully or mistakenly, make statements that seem to contradict administration policy.

Last edited:
Re: Re: How Saddam Failed The Yeltsin Test

Popmartijn said:

Marty

#1 Those that were against the war need to realize their choice of action is not without costs either, cost that I feel were far worse than anything that has happened in the war this far.

#2 Its very simple. Saddam was required to VERIFIABLY DISARM of all WMD. Show me when and where Saddam accomplished that? Did Saddam ever account for the 20,000 Bio/Chem shells that UN inspectors found he had back in 1998. Did Saddam every account for 1,000 Liters of Anthrax, 500 pounds of Mustard Gas among other things on the UN inspectors list?

At the begining of March 2003, Saddam was in open violation of 17 UN resolutions passed under CHAPTER VII rules of the United Nations as well as the 1991 Gulf War Ceacefire Agreement!

Why in the world, would anyone let a man like Saddam off the hook, or simply take his word for it that he had destroyed thousands of stocks of WMD? What type of a world are we to live in, if the leaders capable and guilty of the worst crimes in human history get a gentle pass, that the anti-war crowd wished for.

The criteria for war or peace was set back in March of 1991. Saddam had to VERIFIABLY DISARM or face renewed military action to accomplish that goal. To have had a different standard or criteria when dealing with someone like Saddam would have been irresponsible.

Isn't this a version of Kiergegard's "leap of faith"? If you're not familiar with this it's a notion that is pure belief. It's a faith mindset. The weapons may literally exist or they may be an abstract notion in the believer's mind, but certainly not both.

^I know the Kurds of Halabja were thinking that exact same thing in 1988. These clouds of gas coming down are simple abstract figures of my imagination that never really existed.

also found this picture of Saddam embracing the Palestinian Cause,
arafat-saddam-1980.jpg

From LGF. (http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/?entry=9321#c0020)
1. "How about tonight, I'll be the naughty goatherd, and you be the camel."

2. They compared notes, and were surprised to find 'Friends' Matthew Perry was on both of their "lists of five."

3. "Somewhere on my body, I have hidden a weapon of mass destruction... see if you can find it..."

4. Another indication that you've picked a really bad Bed and Breakfast...

5. "Lo-o-o-o-ve... Exciting and New... Come Aboard... We're Expecting You... The Love Jihad... Soon will be bulding another bomb..."

6. This is the scariest 'Advocate' cover ever.

7. "I get so hot when you call me 'Conan.'

8. "I always wanted to be in your masculine arms when World War III started."

9. "Always in a hurry, you NEVER want to cuddle!"

10. "Ya know, it'd be funny if some infidel got a picture of this and spread it across the internet. Wouldn't that be a dandy to explain!"

Last edited:
verte76 said:
Isn't this a version of Kiergegard's "leap of faith"? If you're not familiar with this it's a notion that is pure belief. It's a faith mindset. The weapons may literally exist or they may be an abstract notion in the believer's mind, but certainly not both.

The weapons exist, the question is where are they and in what condition are they. It would have been totally absurd for Saddam to have destroyed the weapons and say he had destroyed the weapons, yet offer no verification or evidence of that fact, when the benefits of doing so would have been the lifting of sanctions and the enrichment of himself with as much Iraqi oil he could sell on the global market.

Regardless of the condition or location of the WMD and what Saddam did or did not do with it, the international community decided in 1991 that the verifiable disarmament of Saddam was a necessity for security, stability and peace in the region and the world.

I still think removing Saddam was in the best interest for the people in Iraq and peace in the region in the long run

the reasons presented why he just HAD to be removed when we did smells like a smelly skunk who is not welcomed anymore in the skunk community because he stinks too much

granted there are no UN resolutions against The Netherlands as far as I'm aware
but if we were asked to show evidence that we have dismantled weapons of mass destruction we supposedly have according to secret information we don't know about, we would probably be in trouble

Salome said:
I still think removing Saddam was in the best interest for the people in Iraq and peace in the region in the long run

the reasons presented why he just HAD to be removed when we did smells like a smelly skunk who is not welcomed anymore in the skunk community because he stinks too much

granted there are no UN resolutions against The Netherlands as far as I'm aware
but if we were asked to show evidence that we have dismantled weapons of mass destruction we supposedly have according to secret information we don't know about, we would probably be in trouble

I think your failing to understand a fundamental point here. The United Nations Weapons inspectors found thousands of stocks of WMD and WMD related materials over a 7 year period of inspections from 1991 to 1998 in Saddam's Iraq. When the Inspectors were kicked out in 1998, there were still a thousand liters of Anthrax, hundreds of pounds of Mustard Gas, and over 20,000 Bio/Chem capable shells among other things. Saddam admitted having these materials around that time as well.

Fastforward to 2002 and inspectors are back in the country thanks to Bush and the inspectors attempt to continue to work on the disarmament issue where they had left off in 1998. But this time Saddam claims that he destroyed the WMD he had between 1998 and 2002 yet offers no evidence of this. Essentially "the dog ate my homework" excuse. Most teachers won't except that excuse, nor should the international community attempting to insure the disarmament of one of the worst dictators in history.

What STINKS to high heaven is this idea that Saddam was innocent on this issue or that the United States had to prove something. No member state of the international community had to prove anything. It was up to Saddam to prove to the world that he had disarmed of all WMD and Saddam DID HAVE THE MEANS TO DO THAT!

The terms of the 1991 Gulf War Ceacefire never stated that the United States or any other member state of the UN had to prove that Iraq had this particular WMD or that particular WMD. It stated that Saddam had to Verifiably disarm of all WMD or face renewed military action as outlined by resolution 678.

Verifiable Disarmament is not some impossible task. Ukraine, Belarus, Kazakstan, and South Africa all verifiably disarmed with the help of UN inspectors in under a year or two. Of course these disarmaments were voluntary but followed essentially the same procedures that were available to Saddam.

Saddam is the leader that invaded and attacked four different countries. Saddam is the leader that used WMD more times in history than any other leader. Saddam is the leader that murdered 1.7 million people. Saddam is the leader that threatened the worlds energy supply and global economy with total ruin.

The United Nations in light of these facts approved a number of resolutions and a ceacefire agreement that forced Saddam to verifiably disarm of all WMD or face renewed military action. The only thing that STINKS is that the whole process of disarming Saddam took 12 years. If there is to be criticism on the whole issue, its that the international community should have acted sooner than it did. It was obvious by 1998, that Saddam had no serious intention of disarming.

STING2 said:
I think your failing to understand a fundamental point here.
I don't think I do
I am not big on news stories
but by now I do have a fair idea od what Saddam had been up to

fact remains
those UN resolutions weren't new
but according to the allies (the netherlands being one of them) it would have been dangerous to wait any longer to act because there was imminent threat of Saddam attacking all of us

now unless Saddam has really bad breath there isn't much evidence that he did pose any threat
that evidence is as bleak as whatever Saddam has presented as evidence that he destroyed any weapons

STING2 said:
I think your failing to understand a fundamental point here.

The point is?
In our lifes it's innocent until proven guilty in politics the one with more WMDs can turn it into guilty until proven innocent?
This is no Bush bashing because it wasn't invented by Mr. Bush, it wasn't invented by republicans, not even by americans. There were many empires before who did it that way.
The Post WWII Balance of power and because of that the need for international regulations was a historical anormality.
But people like it and many governments try to go on with that path.

Uh i'm really getting offtopic here ;)

A_Wanderer:
What did you want to tell us with that picture? That Saddams face looked hapier when he welcomed Mr. Arafat than on the pictures where Saddam welcomed Mr. Rumsfeld?

Salome said:
I don't think I do
I am not big on news stories
but by now I do have a fair idea od what Saddam had been up to

fact remains
those UN resolutions weren't new
but according to the allies (the netherlands being one of them) it would have been dangerous to wait any longer to act because there was imminent threat of Saddam attacking all of us

now unless Saddam has really bad breath there isn't much evidence that he did pose any threat
that evidence is as bleak as whatever Saddam has presented as evidence that he destroyed any weapons

The United Nations determined in 1991 that Saddam was a big enough of a threat that he had to be disarmed, with military force if needed. The threat had always been there from day 1. The International community wanted to resolve and remove the threat without the use of military force. It tried to do that for many years, but ultimately failed in achieving that goal, largely because Saddam completely stopped all cooperation at the end of 1998. That is why military force became the only option for achieving full disarmament. Waiting would have been irresponsible in light of the facts.

It is a fact that Saddam failed to disclose where thousands of liters of Anthrax, hundreds of pounds of Mustard Gas and over 20,000 Bio/Chem capable shells are. It would be irresponsible to assume given Saddam's prior behavior that he destroyed this stuff and to simply take his word for it.

I remind you that Saddam still had one of the largest Military forces in the Middle East with over 400,000 troops and 2,700 Main Battle Tanks prior to the invasion in 2003. Combined with large Stocks of WMD, this did pose a threat that had to be dealt with.

If you think Saddam posed no threat, then I'm not sure there is anything in this world you could see as a threat. If you still think Saddam was harmless, I can go into far greater detail.

Remember, Saddam invaded and attacked 4 different countries, and murdered over 1.7 million people. You think he posed no more threat than bad breath, I think not.

The international community saw Saddam as a threat after the Gulf War in 1991. That is why they made Saddam sign a ceacefire agreement in which he was required to verifiably disarm or else face renewed military action. The criteria for whether there would be war again or not would be based on the evidence that Saddam produced and that evidence alone!

Klaus said:

The point is?
In our lifes it's innocent until proven guilty in politics the one with more WMDs can turn it into guilty until proven innocent?
This is no Bush bashing because it wasn't invented by Mr. Bush, it wasn't invented by republicans, not even by americans. There were many empires before who did it that way.
The Post WWII Balance of power and because of that the need for international regulations was a historical anormality.
But people like it and many governments try to go on with that path.

Uh i'm really getting offtopic here ;)

A_Wanderer:
What did you want to tell us with that picture? That Saddams face looked hapier when he welcomed Mr. Arafat than on the pictures where Saddam welcomed Mr. Rumsfeld?

The point is that The international community saw Saddam as a threat after the Gulf War in 1991. That is why they made Saddam sign a ceacefire agreement in which he was required to verifiably disarm or else face renewed military action. The criteria for whether there would be war again or not would be based on the evidence that Saddam produced and that evidence alone!

Back
Top Bottom